Is Michael Jackson a Dancer who can Sing OR a Singer who can Dance?

How does anyone even take what Chaos says seriously! :lol:

Anyway, I think Lonely has a point. Michael HAS been known for being this amazing dancer. Yeah the media does call him a "singer" first but I think it's the dance that brought/brings Michael closer to people.

So some can be shocked when they do hear him SING at any period in his life pre-Thriller/Bad or whatever.

Thank you. The media has also called Janet a singer, and it's quite obvious that Janet is no singer. She's a performer/entertainer.

Like what media outlet is gonna introduce someone as "50 years old, dancer Michael Jackson...."

This wording sounds better, "50 years old, singer Michael Jackson...."

It's quite obvious what MJ is most known for and it's his dancing.

How does anyone even take what Chaos says seriously! :lol:

Anyway, I think Lonely has a point. Michael HAS been known for being this amazing dancer. Yeah the media does call him a "singer" first but I think it's the dance that brought/brings Michael closer to people.

So some can be shocked when they do hear him SING at any period in his life pre-Thriller/Bad or whatever.
Then, Chaos was just playing? Sounds like he's a quite famous joker around this block? :lol: Whew...I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the post.

Thank you. The media has also called Janet a singer, and it's quite obvious that Janet is no singer. She's a performer/entertainer.

Like what media outlet is gonna introduce someone as "50 years old, dancer Michael Jackson...."

This wording sounds better, "50 years old, singer Michael Jackson...."

It's stupid to compare Michael and Janet vocally. Michael actually has a voice. He may not be as well regarded for his singing, though he should, but people know he has a killer voice anyway and if they don't, then they're dumb.

And guys, Chaos is JOKING, come on.

His dancing definitely overshadows his singing.
i don't know what the general public's view has to do with the original question. the masses will always be asses; this is about our educated opinions as fans who know their shit, not about the random pundits who can only link Michael Jackson to the bloody moonwalk.

i personally appreciate Mike's musical input as a singer, composer and producer more than the dancing. but still, all of these things are too different to compare.

I think he is very good at both..
but I think generally his dancing is better than his singing....I have heard better vocalist in my lifetime...his singing is by no means bad or average at all...but his dancing just overshadows it in my opinion...

i don't know what the general public's view has to do with the original question. the masses will always be asses; this is about our educated opinions as fans who know their shit, not about the random pundits who can only link Michael Jackson to the bloody moonwalk.

i personally appreciate Mike's musical input as a singer, composer and producer more than the dancing. but still, all of these things are too different to compare.

Bingo. That's what I said but nobody heard me.

Gahh, it's just like, nobody understands... The range, the control, the quality, forget it. Even his own fans don't get it. Just because Michael sings understated doesn't mean he doesn't have the most killer voice.

I think that's needed arXter. Maybe hearing it from them will convince, but don't hold your breath. I get in to fights with nimb rods all over youtube about this very thing, haha.

Haha, well, if you stumble across any, don't expect anything intelligent from the other side. I usually just get cussed out and called a "fag" or "gay", etc... They don't generally present any kind of fact based argument, haha.

Janet's vocal is so weak. it's silly to even compare her voice to MJ's. To me, it's like comparing justin's lousy falsetto to MJ's strong solid( is this the description?) falsetto.

As for the question, MJ is more reputable as a dancer but he's excellent in both imo.

OK, I've put more thought into this, I think there are two questions here. First one is what does Michael do best, sing or dance? I think this would really come down to a matter of opinion, I think he is awesome at both, and I don't know if I could pick, but I guess if you took a poll dancing could win, but that leads me to...

Question two, what is Michael best know for, singing or dancing? I'd have to say he is a singer known for his dancing. He is a singer, song writer who performs, and dances when he performs. He is not a dancer who while performing breaks out in song. He makes music, he sings, he writes. He puts out albums.

Haha, well, if you stumble across any, don't expect anything intelligent from the other side. I usually just get cussed out and called a "fag" or "gay", etc... They don't generally present any kind of fact based argument, haha.

YouTube got a bunch of gay-bashing haters out there anyways. Always calling somebody the 'f' word when they ain't got no right sense. :smilerolleyes: :lol:

It's stupid to compare Michael and Janet vocally. Michael actually has a voice. He may not be as well regarded for his singing, though he should, but people know he has a killer voice anyway and if they don't, then they're dumb.

And guys, Chaos is JOKING, come on.

I never compared Janet to Michael vocally, so that is dismissed. But I was merely making a parellel that Janet has been called a singer but she is no singer, she's an entertainer/performer. A true singer would be someone like Marvin Gaye, Barry Manilow, Aretha Franklin. Those ppl are KNOWN for their singing. Just like you saying Janet isn't really a singer, but as a fan I know different. But because you're on the outside you assume that she has a weak voice. You have an opinion relative to the masses. If you stepped outside the box, and looked at MJ you would be more intrigued by his dancing, rather than his singing.

"this is about our educated opinions as fans who know their shit"

And that is the exact reason why it is impossible to give an unbiased opinion. Like I said in my earlier post:

"The problem is that as fas we tend to become so immersed in his talents that we actually begin to believe that EVERYONE knows MJ for ALL of his talents. Sadly that is not the case."

With that being said, MJ is a dancer who sings.

getting the last word over and over again, saying the same thing, won't stop it from being that it depends on who you ask.

You know the one area I love about Mike's voice? His multi-tracked vocals. Man, them vocals be coming together like butter on bread. :lol: But he learned that technique from Marvin. ;)

And that is the exact reason why it is impossible to give an unbiased opinion.
while it may be subjective, as the music fans we are, it's bloody better than forming our opinions based on what the masses think - this goes for any specific subject. and sometimes for other subjects, we are apart of those uneducated masses when we decide to generalise and form a conclusion based on limited knowledge of other artists, genres, or what have you.

and the OP's absolutist 'this or that' question doesn't help either. our inherent necessity for weak comparisons continues on..

getting the last word over and over again, saying the same thing, won't stop it from being that it depends on who you ask.

14n3gp.jpg

while it may be subjective, as the music fans we are, it's bloody better than forming our opinions based on what the masses think - this goes for any specific subject. and sometimes for other subjects, we are apart of those uneducated masses when we decide to generalise and form a conclusion based on limited knowledge of other artists, genres, or what have you.

and the OP's absolutist 'this or that' question doesn't help either. our inherent necessity for weak comparisons continues on..

But when forming an opinion, based upon my initial comment, it is necessary to formulate your opinion around the masses. I'm learning that some of us failed at the concept of inductive reasoning.

mj was known for his singing b4 he was known for his dancing. of course he always danced but pple didnt even recognize him for his dancing until the videos for thriller came out and of course motown25. there4 hes a vocalist who is a amazing dancer now thread closed, moving along

I never compared Janet to Michael vocally, so that is dismissed. But I was merely making a parellel that Janet has been called a singer but she is no singer, she's an entertainer/performer. A true singer would be someone like Marvin Gaye, Barry Manilow, Aretha Franklin. Those ppl are KNOWN for their singing. Just like you saying Janet isn't really a singer, but as a fan I know different. But because you're on the outside you assume that she has a weak voice. You have an opinion relative to the masses. If you stepped outside the box, and looked at MJ you would be more intrigued by his dancing, rather than his singing.

And that is the exact reason why it is impossible to give an unbiased opinion. Like I said in my earlier post:

"The problem is that as fas we tend to become so immersed in his talents that we actually begin to believe that EVERYONE knows MJ for ALL of his talents. Sadly that is not the case."

With that being said, MJ is a dancer who sings.

I've listened to enough Janet Jackson to know she isn't a strong vocalist. It's hardly an uneducated opinion of mine. I said it was silly to compare them as you were making the parallell that they both are referred to as singers even though neither is really a pure singer, which is at least what you implied. But Michael is very much a pure singer. But this isn't about Janet. Michael is as much a singer as he is a dancer. What you are known for or not known for isn't the question. The question is basically the same as "what is the stronger of his two talents?", only worded differently. You don't seem to be getting that. And the answer to THAT question is that he's equal in both fields. Michael is as good a singer as any of those you listed, and in my view better, and just because he isn't given the credit he deserves as a vocalist doesn't make that fact any less true.

Last edited:
YouTube got a bunch of gay-bashing haters out there anyways. Always calling somebody the 'f' word when they ain't got no right sense. :smilerolleyes: :lol:

I know, lol. Like I said, nimb rods. The best part is, I'm a girl, so their insults really don't make any sense, haha.

You know the one area I love about Mike's voice? His multi-tracked vocals. Man, them vocals be coming together like butter on bread.
unmatched. he goes into the diminished 7th chords on some "what would a jazz pianist, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Philip Bailey and Maurice White do?" type ish.

and with regards to Janet, while the quality of her lead vocals is up for debate, that of her backing harmonies can't be debated.

she really stepped out with her bkg vox on Rhythm Nation onwards.

it's the details that put dents in such monotone debates.

Last edited:
unmatched. he goes into the diminished 7th chords on some "what would a jazz pianist, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Philip Bailey and Maurice White do?" type ish.

and with regards to Janet, while the quality of her lead vocals is up for debate, that of her backing harmonies can't be debated.

she really stepped out with her bkg vox on Rhythm Nation onwards.

it's the details that put dents in such monotone debates.

I really agree about what you said about the bg vox. :yes:

Back in the day: a singer who can dance.
Nowadays: a dancer who can sing.

:lol:

I agree. He was primarily a singer and he could dance well too. After Thriller he was primarily a dancer who could sing well too. That's how I see it anyway. The Bad album is the first instance where the music and singing became secondary to the dancing and music videos. The song Bad was just backing music for the music video. Same with Smooth Criminal.

Back