HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Should HIStory Tour be released to cinemas?

For the example you gave of the History tour, who owned the footage? Michael?

For TII, Michael did not own the footage and it was not for his personal use. AEG always intended to use the footage for public viewing for an undetermined length; thus, rehearsals and more (such as meetings and interviews with personnel) were filmed in expensive HD film.
I am not trying to be stupid, but I am confused. I'm doing this from MEMORY ONLY, because I don't remember if I saved any of these articles at the time Michael died and they were making the deals for TII.
But didn't the Estate negotiate some kind of deal with Sony for these film reels and come out with at least half the profit of the film-or maybe more than that.

How could that happen if the film wasn't Michael's? Or was the film included in AEG's expenses that Michael was supposed to pay back with the tour money?

I probably have it all wrong, but it seems like I remember it was one of the first deals made to try to get them in the black.

^^ i think they used red cameras, they do cost much more than standard High Def production camera's but certainly not as much as 35mm film...

Michael had 1 or if it was 2 cameras filming parts of his rehearsals and they were no HD cameras. The HD ones came from AEG. He asked his own staff about the amount of cameras during the rehearsals, probably in June. I'll get more accurate information about it. Sorry for the off topic as it has nothing to do with History Tour.

Barbee0715, no worries. AEG owns the footage, Sony owns the music, the Estate owns Michael’s likeness.

The Estate has a partnership with AEG which allowed them to release their footage to create TII. The opposite example is M25 where they did not allow the Jackson rehearsal footage Motown owned to be released.

The Estate has a partnership with Sony and the TII soundtrack was part of their partnership deal for ten projects.

AEG has a partnership with Sony to distribute TII; thus, their request for Sony to duplicate and store the footage safely.

There is some discussion about these partnerships in Sony leaked emails. There is no discussion about the Estate/Sony projects including a possible History tour release in any form let alone theatrical.

Adding: allow me to clarify: Sony owned Michael's masters until July 2009. Michael then owned those masters outright but, the Estate had to clear the debt on Mijac. Sony distributes all music from the Estate/Sony partnership.

Last edited:
Tygger;4082706 said:
Barbee0715, no worries. AEG owns the footage, Sony owns the music, the Estate owns Michael’s likeness.

The Estate has a partnership with AEG which allowed them to release their footage to create TII. The opposite example is M25 where they did not allow the Jackson rehearsal footage Motown owned to .
Ah. Thank you so much for the clarification. That makes sense.

Adding: allow me to clarify: Sony owned Michael's masters until July 2009. Michael then owned those masters outright but, the Estate had to clear the debt on Mijac. Sony distributes all music from the Estate/Sony partnership.

Did they stop owning it because of Michael's death? or were they going to transfer over in July 2009 regardless of whether he was alive or not?

Sorry for the off topic as it has nothing to do with History Tour.

TBH I don't really think it matters too much. The HIStory discussion was going round and round in circles but at least with this one, we are comparing HIStory tour to This Is It in many ways and even then, the more off-topic discussions are generating great discussion with many fans getting questions answered. At the end of the day, we're still talking about the more business/technical side of filming various shows, which is of course relevant to the release of a show :p

Did they stop owning it because of Michael's death? or were they going to transfer over in July 2009 regardless of whether he was alive or not?

Automatic transfer.

:punk: Glad I could oblige, bahahahaha!! The GOLD PANTS are mesmerizing, but that still isn't a good enough reason to release that tour to theatres.

Especially in 3D, it could have your eye out.

I would like the HIStory Tour to be in cinemas, but I'd much rather see the Bad Tour in cinemas. Don't get me wrong, I like the HIStory Tour shows to be out on DVD/Blu-Ray. The Bad Tour was truly epic. I really don't care for the lipsyncing thing, the HIStory Tour shows the Michael still got it dancing wise.

I would like the HIStory Tour to be in cinemas, but I'd much rather see the Bad Tour in cinemas. Don't get me wrong, I like the HIStory Tour shows to be out on DVD/Blu-Ray. The Bad Tour was truly epic. I really don't care for the lipsyncing thing, the HIStory Tour shows the Michael still got it dancing wise.

I agree with you completely, two shows should be released in cinema! BAD Tour 1988 & HIStory World Tour 1996. I will stand by that.

I agree with you completely, two shows should be released in cinema! BAD Tour 1988 & HIStory World Tour 1996. I will stand by that.

I'd rather them release Dangerous Tour instead of HIStory Tour

I'd rather them release Dangerous Tour instead of HIStory Tour

BAD Tour is the most artistic, HIStory Tour is the most theatrical. Best of both worlds, or perhaps they can do a theater release every two years? like Star Wars etc.

BAD Tour is the most artistic, HIStory Tour is the most theatrical.
I think Dangerous Tour is more interesting in theatrics than HIStory Tour. When I watch HIStory Tour I always skip the tank and crying part. It's too cringeworthy.

Last edited:

The only 'theatrical' aspect of the HIStory Tour is the tank scene. Everything else is lifted from one of the past two tours and either altered slightly (Michael disappearing from the coffin during "Thriller") or copied completely (cherry picker for "Beat It").

The Dangerous show was superior to HIStory in almost every way, particularly in the song selection. I probably would have passed out from exhaustion if I ever saw Michael do "Working Day and Night" or "Billie Jean" (at the 1990 tempo).

The only 'theatrical' aspect of the HIStory Tour is the tank scene. Everything else is lifted from one of the past two tours and either altered slightly (Michael disappearing from the coffin during "Thriller") or copied completely (cherry picker for "Beat It").

There was more. There was the beginning with the space ship, the dance part in Smooth Criminal before Michael comes to the stage, collapsing wall of speakers in Black or White and HIStory. I like Dangerous Tour theatrics more but I always skip the angel part in Will You Be There.

I still say that BAD tour is the ONLY solo tour I would want to see at the movie theatre. Michael at his absolute peak and prime of all of his gifts-breaking away, doing it on his own, happy and joyful and in control.
Fix it up, make a montage if they have to, to make it look beautiful for the big screen. Then release it on DVD/Blu-ray with every single second of rehearsals, studio footage, backstage stories that they can find.

There was more. There was the beginning with the space ship, the dance part in Smooth Criminal before Michael comes to the stage, collapsing wall of speakers in Black or White and HIStory. I like Dangerous Tour theatrics more but I always skip the angel part in Will You Be There.

I've always preferred the ''My footsteps broke the silence of the pre dawn hours'' intro for Smooth Criminal on the BAD and Dangerous Tours. I get goosebumps when that intro starts

I wouldn't call those 'theatrical' on a particularly interesting level. The collapsing wall of speakers on "Black or White" were actually pretty embarrassing considering two crew members had to take the blow while Michael took cover (presumably from getting hurt).

I wouldn't call those 'theatrical' on a particularly interesting level. The collapsing wall of speakers on "Black or White" were actually pretty embarrassing considering two crew members had to take the blow while Michael took cover (presumably from getting hurt).

You think that's bad? During the Thriller performance the guy who was wearing the werewolf mask and pretending to be MJ was actually burned to death. That right. MJ would sacrifice a different person every night

You think that's bad? During the Thriller performance the guy who was wearing the werewolf mask and pretending to be MJ was actually burned to death. That right. MJ would sacrifice a different person every night

This is wonderful :biggrin:

Last edited:

Yup. In addition, the poor civilians in the Earth Song sequence were actually refugees from war-torn countries personally hunted down and kidnapped by Michael himself. You think his demonic appearances in Ghosts were makeup or CGI? Guess again kid. In fact, if any of those aforementioned refugees refused to perform on stage, they were forced to don the werewolf mask the very next night...

Last edited:

Yup. In addition, the poor civilians in the Earth Song sequence were actually refugees from war-torn countries personally hunted down and kidnapped by Michael himself. You think his demonic appearances in Ghosts were makeup or CGI? Guess again kid. In fact, if any of those aforementioned refugees refused to perform on stage, they were forced to don the werewolf mask the very next night...
Whoa!! Michael was a lot badder than I ever thought. Maybe I should change my vote to yes in honor of these poor refugees' memories!!

Whoa!! Michael was a lot badder than I ever thought. Maybe I should change my vote to yes in honor of these poor refugees' memories!!

You want to taunt the families by releasing footage of them with their kidnapper, forcing them to perform acts against their will, to CINEMAS WORLDWIDE? You heartless MONSTER!! :bugeyed

MJ would sacrifice a different person every night

Yup. In addition, the poor civilians in the Earth Song sequence were actually refugees from war-torn countries personally hunted down and kidnapped by Michael himself.

their kidnapper, forcing them to perform acts against their will, to CINEMAS WORLDWIDE

I hope Safechuck/Robson does not read this thread. Some of these stories here might find their way to their next amended complaints...

Gotta give Mike credit. He always gives the most realistic performance

''Oh wow, love these people doing backflips and just seeing stiff moves in the background, let's release it on Blu-Ray.. it is one of the highest grossing tours/productions of course'' -_-

''Oh wow, love these people doing backflips and just seeing stiff moves in the background, let's release it on Blu-Ray.. it is one of the highest grossing tours/productions of course'' -_-

I don't see anyone going on about Cirque du Soleil except for you man.

There should be a way of blocking posts containing "Blu-Ray".

Back