HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Should HIStory Tour be released to cinemas?

I'm more than well aware of the advantage. I know that for you anything less than Blu-Ray is un-watchable.

I'm more than well aware of the advantage. I know that for you anything less than Blu-Ray is un-watchable.

That simply isn't true, i can watch anything Umatic & above... it's just that Michael doesn't deserve to be preserved in anything less than 1080p & above for visuals, 192khz and above for audio

That simply isn't true, i can watch anything Umatic & above... it's just that Michael doesn't deserve to be preserved in anything less than 1080p & above for visuals, 192khz and above for audio

They could release the black jacket concert in Moonwalker Man in the Mirror. It has great audio.

They could release the black jacket concert in Moonwalker Man in the Mirror. It has great audio.

Their are rumors that Minneapolis was shot in full on 16/35mm film, you can see a 2 second snippet of the blue screen opening to 'Smooth Criminal' plus the APOM & MITM footage as you mentioned! it's hard to know for sure though, that's why i think a montage would be great! they just have to use genuine audio, for when the reels change.. would be annoying to hear/see ad libs without it matching up

My question is related to the title of this thread, should History tour be released to cinemas.
I haven't seen any other artists concerts released in cinemas, so why any of the Michael's concerts would be or should be? Wouldn't it be enough if someday they are released in DVD, Blu-Ray or whatever format is in the wish list?

My question is related to the title of this thread, should History tour be released to cinemas.
I haven't seen any other artists concerts released in cinemas, so why any of the Michael's concerts would be or should be? Wouldn't it be enough if someday they are released in DVD, Blu-Ray or whatever format is in the wish list?
There have been several concerts or concert films that have been shown in cinemas for other artists, going all the way back to the late 60s and early 70s with films like the Woodstock and Elvis' That's The Way It Is film. In recent years, artists like U2, Justin Bieber and Metallica for instance have had (3d) concert films shown in cinemas. Sometimes the films are more part documentary/part concert (kinda like This Is It but then about a tour or live concert rather than just rehearsals, of course). Others consist mainly of just concert footage.

^^ Don't forget Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody 1986 & Rock Montreal 1981 (Released in 2012 and 2014 respectively i believe) ;)

It might be just me, I went to see Hungarian Rhapsody and the whole seeing a concert at the cinema thing didn't really do it for me. Can definitely see why the U2 and One Direction and Metallica 3D shows went on the big screen though. 3D in the cinema offers that bit more I guess. The whole back story of The Metallica show was absolute cringe though. Great gig however.

There have been several concerts or concert films that have been shown in cinemas for other artists, going all the way back to the late 60s and early 70s with films like the Woodstock and Elvis' That's The Way It Is film. In recent years, artists like U2, Justin Bieber and Metallica for instance have had (3d) concert films shown in cinemas. Sometimes the films are more part documentary/part concert (kinda like This Is It but then about a tour or live concert rather than just rehearsals, of course). Others consist mainly of just concert footage.

Out of curiousity I looked up how these films did at the box office and to be honest, concert films do not seem to be very big business.

U2 - 3D Budget: $15 million, Box office: $26 million.
Metallica Through the Never Budget: $18 million, Box office: $21 million.
Justin Bieber - Never Say Never Budget: $13 millon, Box office: $99 million.

(MJ - This Is It: Budget: $60 million, Box office: $261 million.)

This Is It was an anomaly due to MJ's recent death. Justin Bieber is (was) a current teen bopper, so that's a bit different, but U2 and especially Metallica hardly covered their budgets. Even with super-duper 3D technology. I did not find any data for the Queen concerts.

^^what are the stats for Justin's
second movie. I heard it died even tho he's still big with kids.

^^what are the stats for Justin's
second movie. I heard it died even tho he's still big with kids.

Yep.

Believe: Budget: $4-5 million, Box office: $6 million.

I'm pretty sure any new MJ concert movie would not be big box office success either. TII was a very special, one-off situation.

Here is a US list for budget/box office for concert films: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=musicconcert.htm

It's only for US, that's why TII is only second behind Never Say Never. Internationally TII was a lot more successful though.

Last edited:

A theatrical release of the History tour is going to flop entirely - mostly because a ton of people wouldn't see it. Including myself.

I wouldn't say that people here would influence decisions by The Estate of Michael Jackson, how can you compare a promoted & worldwide scale release to the thought's of a now small community? it just doesn't make sense. I appreciate any release, i will enjoy everything we get.

That's the thing - you shouldn't appreciate "everything you get". If the Estate screws up, they deserve every bit of criticism they get, which should be used for the betterment of the next project.

MICHAEL was a partial misfire, and I won't shower it in praise simply because it offers some strong music.

I won't shower the History Tour with praise just because it is released.

If the OTW documentary appears in theaters, I hope it does include at least snippets of the OTW medley done during the History tour. It is clearly lip-synched and it is still a great nod by Michael of his own 17 year old or so achievement at the time.

That's the thing - you shouldn't appreciate "everything you get". If the Estate screws up, they deserve every bit of criticism they get, which should be used for the betterment of the next project.

MICHAEL was a partial misfire, and I won't shower it in praise simply because it offers some strong music.

I won't shower the History Tour with praise just because it is released.

They are NOT screwing up, the HIStory World Tour is a part of Michael's legacy. They're not gonna release a high def BAD Tour show so soon after the initial release of Wembley, you write in a two faced manor a lot of times anyway. Do you even want new generations seeing Michael in 1080p HD & beyond? you know they won't go anywhere near DVD quality in 50-75 years

If the OTW documentary appears in theaters, I hope it does include at least snippets of the OTW medley done during the History tour. It is clearly lip-synched and it is still a great nod by Michael of his own 17 year old or so achievement at the time.

I love the end line, that is actually live... i'm curious if the soundboard picked up the live vocal recording's...

If the OTW documentary appears in theaters, I hope it does include at least snippets of the OTW medley done during the History tour.

I hope not. It's embarrassing to see a 40-year-old Michael to lip-sync to album vocals when he was 20. In an OTW documentary they should include footage from Triumph tour, where he sang live and was at the the top of his game, not lip-synced HIStory tour footage.

I wouldn't say that people here would influence decisions by The Estate of Michael Jackson, how can you compare a promoted & worldwide scale release to the thought's of a now small community? it just doesn't make sense. I appreciate any release, i will enjoy everything we get.

The Estate better pay attention to hard core fans' opinion. If even they are not impressed by a performance what are the chances that the general public will? All these daydreamings about the general public going crazy for a 3D HIStory tour in the cinemas just because it's 3D or because there is a tank on the stage, is delusional IMO. As I have shown on the previous page even 3D concerts do not do particularly well in cinemas and there we are talking about current bands with current shows (not a show from 20 years before) and LIVE performances.

Last edited:

I think the estate does pay attention to what the hardcore fans have to say. Remember when the Slave To The Rhythm Justin Bieber duet leaked last year? The majority of the hardcore fans were outraged by this, and because of that, that duet was never officially released. So I do think the estate pays attention to what we have to say

I think the estate does pay attention to what the hardcore fans have to say. Remember when the Slave To The Rhythm Justin Bieber duet leaked last year? The majority of the hardcore fans were outraged by this, and because of that, that duet was never officially released. So I do think the estate pays attention to what we have to say
I totally agree with this. Especially if we keep the criticism constructive. I'm sure that's the reason they released the Wembley concert and the demos on Bad25.

I think with the release of DS book, not to mention comments, the next release will cover Michael's origin story of the songs, rather than extras of producers talking about themselves.

They give us better stuff each time-and take any criticism and compliments seriously.

I hope Safechuck/Robson does not read this thread. Some of these stories here might find their way to their next amended complaints...
I just had to laugh. I was just thinking this description of HIStory tour was taking a rather dark "Maureen Orth-type" turn. LOL.

Respect77, it is embarrassing to you. I have seen no reports of a mass exodus of concert goers - who may also consider themselves hardcore fans - during the OTW medley or any other time during the History concert/tour.

I am not embarrassed by it nor do I judge Michael's choice to lip-synch during it. I am quite proud of Michael for acknowledging his own achievement and I have no issue with the method he chose to do it.

I truly hope Lee will include this footage because it says quite a bit about how Michael wanted to pay tribute to his own work.

The estate seems to listen to some of the online fans' complaints and it may direct their decisions. However, such complaints have no bearing on Michael's decisions. Michael's OTW medley was his choice, I believe it was a great tribute to his own achievement, and I hope Lee will showcase that in his OTW documentary.

^ Well, based on this topic I am not alone with my opinion that it was embarassing. No one claimed anything about a "mass-exodus" but we have seen comments by fans even in this thread stating how disappointed they were when they attended a HIStory tour concert.
When there is fantastic footage to include there is no reason to include a controversial performance in my opinion. I don't even want a HIStory album anniversary campaign put much focus on this tour, let alone an Off The Wall release which does not even need it.

Respect77, it is embarrassing to you. I have seen no reports of a mass exodus of concert goers - who may also consider themselves hardcore fans - during the OTW medley or any other time during the History concert/tour.

I am not embarrassed by it nor do I judge Michael's choice to lip-synch during it. I am quite proud of Michael for acknowledging his own achievement and I have no issue with the method he chose to do it.

I truly hope Lee will include this footage because it says quite a bit about how Michael wanted to pay tribute to his own work.

The estate seems to listen to some of the online fans' complaints and it may direct their decisions. However, such complaints have no bearing on Michael's decisions. Michael's OTW medley was his choice, I believe it was a great tribute to his own achievement, and I hope Lee will showcase that in his OTW documentary.

I think that OTW Medley on HIStory Tour is really cringeworthy. I like to watch it but I wouldn't show it to anyone else. I hope they use clips from other tours.

^ Well, based on this topic I am not alone with my opinion that it was embarassing. No one claimed anything about a "mass-exodus" but we have seen comments by fans even in this thread stating how disappointed they were when they attended a HIStory tour concert.
When there is fantastic footage to include there is no reason to include a controversial performance in my opinion. I don't even want a HIStory album anniversary campaign put much focus on this tour, let alone an Off The Wall release which does not even need it.

You are not alone
For I am here with you
For I also think
It is wrong to lip sync

Another cringeworthy moment on the HIStory Tour is the back up singers lip syncing to Michael's vocals on Stranger In Moscow

^^That and "Blood on the Dance Floor".

Back