HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: The exceptions of live vocals during HIStory World Tour

I think that Michael would have preferred to sing more songs live if he could. But sadly he couldn't because of voice problems

Not only because of voice problems but also due to some other factors (for example, complex chorography & dance routines of some songs).

Not only because of voice problems but also due to some other factors (for example, complex chorography & dance routines of some songs).

Neither of them really explain why he didn't sing You Are Not Alone and Stranger in Moscow live. His voice was great in Gothenburg concert so I don't he had throat problems there.

Fans should start a kickstarter campaign to get a digital download of the live vocal recording's from the multitracks, for each concert release in the future

Galactus123;4087156 said:
Neither of them really explain why he didn't sing You Are Not Alone and Stranger in Moscow live. His voice was great in Gothenburg concert so I don't he had throat problems there.

There is a great misconception regarding the “so-called” throat (or voice) problems.

If MJ had really throat problems he wouldn’t have kicked off a world tour.

Also, he didn’t sing live “You Are Not Alone” & “Stranger In Moscow” as a precaution in order to avoid potential throat issues.

Zakk;4087160 said:
Fans should start a kickstarter campaign to get a digital download of the live vocal recording's from the multitracks, for each concert release in the future

Interesting request.

His voice problems sounded pretty obvious to me. Just listen to his live vocals on the Beat It clip I posted earlier. You can tell that something's not right with his voice. It's sounds really painful

mj_frenzy;4087141 said:

You Are Not Alone didn't have complex choreography. Nor did Stranger in Moscow or Come Together or Blood on the Dance Floor or You Are Not Alone or History or the majority of Beat It. Not an excuse for his lack of live vocals.

Zakk;4087160 said:

No. For the love of God, no. This is an awful idea. If Michael's voice sounded good enough to be live, he wouldn't have mimed an entire show. Why would we want to hear the vocals that he didn't want the audience to hear?

Also, Michael usually didn't bother singing in key or at even partial strength when the audience could not hear him. There are a few clips from In the Closet directly after the spoken word section, where his microphone was left on for one second too long and his live and dubbed vocals were overlapping. And my God, was he off. Who knows how many songs are like this?

mj_frenzy;4087202 said:
Also, he didn’t sing live “You Are Not Alone” & “Stranger In Moscow” as a precaution in order to avoid potential throat issues.

This makes no sense. Songs that would cause potential throat issues would be the songs that require very intense vocals. Like, say, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' or The Love You Save or the end of Beat It... which Michael sang live. You Are Not Alone and Stranger in Moscow wouldn't cause nearly as much throat damage as anything Michael actually performed during the tour.

A more appropriate idea would be that he simply didn't want to tour.

His voice problems sounded pretty obvious to me. Just listen to his live vocals on the Beat It clip I posted earlier. You can tell that something's not right with his voice. It's sounds really painful

I agree. His voiced sounded out of key most of the times he sang, WBSS was painful to hear as well, he looked was in pain while he was breathing. Pleurisy causes sharp chest and lung pain when people breath, sore throat. It explains why his voice sounded like that and I repeat, ballads require more vocal control than fast songs.

Michael more likely toured due to contractual reasons, Sony just wanted him to make money since they spent a lot to promote the album and to have earnings obviously.

Some fans act as if they know his full medical background and were personally treating him for damaged vocal nodules back in 1997. The reality is, we'll never know the real reason why he chose to lip-synch the majority of the History tour and we can only speculate as to his reasons for doing so.

It may very well have had nothing to do with throat problems. Just because he sounded tired and rough on the vocals we did hear, that may have just meant his voice was out of shape. I am a hard rock singer and if I go a month or two without singing, I can't hit half the notes I know I can when I'm doing it everyday

Has anyone ever tried to ask anyone involved with the tour why Michael lip-synced?

mj_frenzy;4087118 said:
Another exception, for example, is the last line during “The Way You Make Feel” in Amsterdam (30.9.1996).

[video=youtube;GgTig8din4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTig8din4w[/video]

Thank you for posting all these videos MJ_Frenzy! I absolutely adore the HIStory Tour. So great hearing him sing the last lines of TWYMMF here, "Comeon Give it to me comeon give to mee"

analogue;4087211 said:

I agree, although I think that it wasn’t necessarily something bad for that specific performance because of its more masculine style & tone.

AlwaysThere;4087216 said:

In my opinion, MJ seemed to enjoy a lot what he was doing during that particular period (not only on stage but also offstage as well).

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4087231 said:
Michael more likely toured due to contractual reasons, Sony just wanted him to make money since they spent a lot to promote the album and to have earnings obviously.

I don’t think it was the main reason.

MJ was really looking forward to performing live again (judging from the snippets of the HIStory Tour rehearsals). He wanted to be in the limelight again, maybe to regain his throne, and only by means of a giant, world tour would have achieved that.

MattyJam;4087232 said:
Some fans act as if they know his full medical background and were personally treating him for damaged vocal nodules back in 1997. The reality is, we'll never know the real reason why he chose to lip-synch the majority of the History tour and we can only speculate as to his reasons for doing so.

It may very well have had nothing to do with throat problems.

Medical reasons can’t be excluded, although there are some other possible reasons as well (for example, a number of different layers of vocals that must be sung at the same time, or an exact, as possible, audio experience for each audience, etc…).

Lil Ced;4087234 said:
Has anyone ever tried to ask anyone involved with the tour why Michael lip-synced?

Personally, I don’t expect any real, official explanation.

What are you talking about? Michael loved to tour! Everyone knows this!

What are you talking about? Michael loved to tour! Everyone knows this!

i-love-to-tour-o.gif

mj_frenzy;4087113 said:
One exception, for example, is the first line during “Thriller” in Auckland (1996).

[video=youtube;t6zUNDyEmbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zUNDyEmbk[/video]

Thats more like a playback accident. It's coming in late in the first verse,
so Michael seems to sing it live, but his mic isn't on as well.
You only hear a tiny bit of his voice right before the playback volume is pulled up.

nope. it's actually pretty terrible... that "doOowNnn" gives me nightmares lol
Hmmm. I'm starting to think that people want a 3D version of the History tour in theaters, only so they can bad mouth it.

http://slightlywarped.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/3231222-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't think he sounds good here? Very rough.

I am very convinced that Michael suffered from something here that made his vocals sound like that. May be pulmonary ailments or an inflamed larynx or laryngitis or/and Lupus or something else. This was the very first song of the show. He had done no prior dancing or strenuous movements or anything of that sort, and for him to sound that out of breath on the first song gives an indication that something was very wrong indeed.

...people want a 3D version of the History tour in theaters...

I'm not one of them.

I think it's also very unrealistic that ANY MJ concert will ever be released to cinemas.
At best we'll get DVD releases.

Last edited:

I am very convinced that Michael suffered from something here that made his vocals sound like that. May be pulmonary ailments or an inflamed larynx or laryngitis or/and Lupus or something else. This was the very first song of the show. He had done no prior dancing or strenuous movements or anything of that sort, and for him to sound that out of breath on the first song gives an indication that something was very wrong indeed.

That's what I've been thinking. For the entirety of the tour his voice has sounded extremely scratchy as if he has to shout to reach the notes we all know he can hit. Actually disappointing to watch.

I think it's also very unrealistic that ANY MJ concert will ever be released to cinemas. At best we'll get DVD releases.

Exactly what I've been thinking for several months now. There's no mainstream demand for a theatrical release of a Michael Jackson concert; it would be a waste of time and money for the estate to put such a project together.

Re: A Possible Third Michael Jackson Documentary

VHS isn't all they have though, there are full shows from each tour on film. Wembley should have never been released, i'm sure everyone is patient enough to wait until the best sources available are categorized.

Assuming the Estate is even remotely willing to release another Bad tour concert, it won't be happening for several more years. Complaining about it serves no purpose but to seem bitter that you didn't get exactly what you wanted (which tends to happen quite often).

Wembley was chosen because it is one of only two concerts captured with multitrack audio.

Concerts aren't even on the priority list as far as I'm concerned. I really wouldn't care much if they never released another one again. I'm perfectly content with the Bad Wembley concert, the Dangerous Bucharest concert, and not acknowledging that the History tour ever occurred.

I'm perfectly content with the Bad Wembley concert, the Dangerous Bucharest concert, and not acknowledging that the History tour ever occurred.

In my opinion what you said is sacrilege. I can't wait for HIStory Tour to be released on blu-ray and in 3D! Not just it's one of my favourite projects but to see HIStory Tour detractors like yourself suffer.

I would love someone to back me up here to ensure that I'm not alone in this matter.

Not substantial but yes. Of course. I'm against haters and spreading of their hate. I don't like people bad mouthing and trashing something without any valid reason except for their personal, extremely subjective opinion for their own agenda. HIStory is one of my favourite eras and HIStory Tour is one of my favourite tours and as much as you dislike it that won't change the fact that MJ's Estate, Sony Music and millions of fans want it to finally be released.

I find this post incredibly difficult to take seriously when you accuse me of having a personal agenda, then proceed to follow up by stating your own personal agenda: you want the tour released because you like it and it's an opportunity for you to stick it to those of us who don't. As you have stated many times in many other threads, it is my opinion and I am entitled to it. But you always have to jump the gun and begin an argument with me about it. I've seen more than enough members criticize the History album, which is my personal favorite, but I'm mature enough to allow them to present their opinion. This is something I genuinely believe you need to work on.

Exactly what I wrote in the first part. Your personal agenda. You dislike HIStory and you want something else to be released instead so you can satisfy your personal desires. By reading your posts I'm truly disgusted. You should be ashamed of your words. Sometimes I even ask myself how can a person be a fan of someone and then go and say something filthy and disgusting as you did. I get that you don't like HIStory and that you don't want it to be released because you can't enjoy it because of your personal beliefs. That is fine by me. But you do not stop there. It the way you say it, with so much hate and frustration in your words. You try to diminish it, badmouth Michael and his performances, trash it like it's some kind of poor second-rate show instead of what it is in history - one of the greatest shows on Earth that ever happened and one of the top grossing tours of the '90s! Really shameful.

Funny how you say I have no moral compass after you said what you said about one huge part of Michael's career and life

Again, allow me to point out that YOU want a History tour release because YOU like it. NOT because it would do well commercially. NOT because it would highlight why Michael is considered to be the greatest performer of all time. NO, because it's one of YOUR favorite tours.

You seem to have the wrong understanding of the definition of a fan. A true fan is someone who acknowledges both the high points and the low points of someone's career without sugarcoating it. I will gladly approach anyone on this earth and give them the opinion that Michael Jackson is the greatest artist of all time, and that he was most certainly the greatest performer, because I wholeheartedly believe that he was. But I will openly admit when I don't quite care for one of his songs, or when a certain performance was less-than-impressive. Why? Because that's what a true fan does. You, who seems so prepared to blindly accept anything that Michael did simply because it's Michael, are not a fan. You are a Stan. You push that you should be allowed to share your opinion, and then proceed to argue whenever someone says something that disagrees with one of your beliefs, even when they weren't deliberately referencing you. It's pathetic, and it's one reason I visit certain threads rarely: because whenever I see your name, I know there's a 5 out of 6 chance you're starting a fight.

I genuinely apologize to anyone who has to suffer through reading these fights. It happens quite frequently and I'm sure it's getting tiresome. So Onir, if you have the need to discuss things, feel free to inbox me. This has been public for long enough.

I would love someone to back me up here to ensure that I'm not alone in this matter.

I don't want HIStory tour either and it would probably be the very rare MJ release I would not buy. I think in case of a HIStory album celebration the focus should be on anything but the tour. The album is fantastic, I love it. Unfortunately the tour is MJ's worst representation as a live artist so if it ever gets a release I hope it's just some low-key, hard core fan aimed release. I understand that some other fans want it and they should be able to have it, so I don't mind it if it gets released but it should not be with big fanfare IMO. Definitely NOT cinema release. Very bad idea. Another thing is that out of all MJ tours you can find the most videos on YT from HIStory tour. Which again is pretty unfortunate, because it really cemented the idea in people that MJ "always" mimed. (Someone just mentioned this about his workmates in another thread.) So I think the task the Estate has now regarding tours is not to further cement that very bad myth, but refute it by releasing tours where MJ is in much better form and sings fully or mostly live.

I would still buy HIStory Tour on Blu-Ray. Munich looks so good in HD and I'm sure an official release would look even better than the TV rip.

I would still buy HIStory Tour on Blu-Ray. Munich looks so good in HD and I'm sure an official release would look even better than the TV rip.

The worst performance from the worst tour? No thank you.

I don't care how pretty it is, MJ's performance was lacking. And I think he was sick during this show

Listening to Michael sing during the History tour as a whole is sad. He sounds like he's forcing his voice to come out at all, much less sound good.

Not substantial but yes. Of course. I'm against haters and spreading of their hate. I don't like people bad mouthing and trashing something without any valid reason except for their personal, extremely subjective opinion for their own agenda. HIStory is one of my favourite eras and HIStory Tour is one of my favourite tours and as much as you dislike it that won't change the fact that MJ's Estate, Sony Music and millions of fans want it to finally be released.

Exactly what I wrote in the first part. Your personal agenda. You dislike HIStory and you want something else to be released instead so you can satisfy your personal desires. By reading your posts I'm truly disgusted. You should be ashamed of your words. Sometimes I even ask myself how can a person be a fan of someone and then go and say something as filthy and disgusting as you did. I get that you don't like HIStory and that you don't want it to be released because you can't enjoy it because of your personal beliefs. That is fine by me. But you do not stop there. It's the way you say it, with so much hate and frustration in your words. You try to diminish it, badmouth Michael and his performances, trash it like it's some kind of poor second-rate show instead of what it is in history - one of the greatest shows on Earth that ever happened and one of the top grossing tours of the '90s! Really shameful.

Funny how you say I have no moral compass after you said what you said about one huge part of Michael's career and life.

He/she is right, the HIStory tour is awful, it's the one Tour of his I will not watch again, he clearly was going through the motions and he did indeed look lifeless during the tour. We are all MJ fans but we are allowed to criticise him and his work/performances if we feel it is merited. And the HIStory tour merits criticism because it was not good.

When you truly don't care for something, harsh words sometimes come into play. There are no exceptions to the rule.

Back