[History concert] From the MJ2040 Spaceship to 3D Cinemas!

the rehearsal footage in Prague was filmed with Professional Camera's, perhaps on 16/35mm film as it was planned to be released along with the Munich Concert in 1997. would he cool to see thy as bonus features on a HWT Blu-Ray.

Are we totally sure there isn't one concert sung totally or mostly live? Out of 80 something shows? There just has to be Dosen't there?

Are we totally sure there isn't one concert sung totally or mostly live? Out of 80 something shows? There just has to be Dosen't there?

Considering that Michael's voice wasn't in the best shape during the HIStory Tour i really doubt that there's a one off concert where everything is mostly live. There was one concert where Beat It was sung live and there's a rumor that Billie Jean was sung live in another concert

There's a few one off live vocals here and there but that doesn't make it worthy of a cinema release

I know for sure that many of you aren't going to like this but hear me out.
Michael's ability to perform declined as the years went on. I can see why, he was always under mounting stress, pain, pressure, etc.
However, releasing History to the theater's would be a very bad decision. The History Tour is a prime example Michael's decline during live performances. Look at the concerts, some shows he looked happy to be there, others, looked like he was going through the motions, didn't really want to be there.. His live vocals for this tour are horrible. I must be honest. The 96 leg of this tour sounded like he could barely sing and the 97 leg live vocals were very weak... Critics will rip this apart.
I doubt Mike would want this either.
Just imagine, 38 year old Michael miming a song from the late 70s?
Or sound raspy and rough during WBSS but sounding perfect through Stranger in Moscow?
To be honest, I'm not sure why Kenny or Michael made the final decision for almost everything to be playback, but it is disappointing. History really had an amazing setlist and many songs were from that album.

Release Dangerous in Mozana

the rehearsal footage in Prague was filmed with Professional Camera's, perhaps on 16/35mm film as it was planned to be released along with the Munich Concert in 1997. would he cool to see thy as bonus features on a HWT Blu-Ray.

I don't think they used film cameras on this tour. From my understanding the Munich concert was shot digitally in HD.

I hope the HIStory tour never gets released to the cinemas. Anything but the HIStory tour. MJ would be torn to pieces for the excessive lip-synching. It would be very harmful for his legacy. I hope the Estate come to their senses and give up this very bad idea.

I hope the HIStory tour never gets released to the cinemas. Anything but the HIStory tour. MJ would be torn to pieces for the excessive lip-synching. It would be very harmful for his legacy. I hope the Estate come to their senses and give up this very bad idea.

And it's understandable that seeing MJ on the big screen would be exciting for fans, but they need to look at the bigger picture (no pun indented)

This would be a good experience for MJ fans, however it would bomb and get slated by critics and public just not good enough to be shown in cinemas and I think Michael would of agreed

Considering that Michael's voice wasn't in the best shape during the HIStory Tour i really doubt that there's a one off concert where everything is mostly live. There was one concert where Beat It was sung live and there's a rumor that Billie Jean was sung live in another concert

There's a few one off live vocals here and there but that doesn't make it worthy of a cinema release

There are two concerts Beat It sung live, the first concerts in Amsterdam and Sydney in 1996. The Billie Jean thing was fake; Steve001 attended this concert but he did say there were two girls instead of one for YANA.

I am 90% certain they're gonna release Munich, which is a decent concert to watch due to the mastering but he isn't the most healthy there and missing some dance moves I would like to see. =/

The other concerts may exist in beta tapes or umatic (MJ WORD OF 2012 lol) given to numerous TV stations but they won't be good quality. Look at Tunisia it was transferred to VHS and aired in rather poor quality. TV1000 aired many of them back in 1997 in very good quality but it's unknown if they still have them :S

I am 90% certain they're gonna release Munich, which is a decent concert to watch due to the mastering

Releasing Munich 1997 just because it's in HD is a shallow thing to do

Michael had the munich concert filmed in high definition cameras but had cancelled an official release of its DVD because he wasn't satisfied with the performance. If the estate has any sense I am sure they would take into consideration of Michael's assessment of his performance before deciding that this should be re-released in 3D to the world.

From wiki:-
All concerts were professionally filmed by Nocturne Productions, Inc. which filmed all of Jackson's tours and private affairs. Just one concert, from Seoul on October 11, 1996 was commercially released on VHS in Korea.

The estate may have all the footages of the concerts. Not sure if the theatrical release will be of only one of the concerts. I am guessing they will make a compilation of performances from different cities and show them in 3D. The entire list of various recordings officially available are listed in Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIStory_World_Tour

Agreed. Someone has even remastered the whole concert in 3D and uploaded it on Youtube. I hope we get to see some truly RARE never before seen performances considering the amount of footages the estate actually has on the HIStory tour.

I agree with most that it wouldn't be the best idea t release the HIStory Tour of all the brilliant shows MJ put on. I attended 11 shows in 1996/97 and was also there at the dress rehearsals at Letenska Plan in Prague in Sept 96. There should be professional footage of it as there was this professional camera team following MJ on and off stage. I have the rehearsals on video but the stage was covered in black curtains and standig outside we could only see him whenever the wind blew and raised the curtains a bit

ah ... memories *sigh*

Dangerous tour was the best spectacle tour ever. For the powerfull intro (carmina burana and then the cool toaster) and the rocketman outro alone! In comparison the HIStory tour intro was so lame... that boring too long animation and the funny looking plastik rocket, and no spectacular outro at all. nah...

I loved going to several HIStory concerts in Germany... but in retrospect, just looking at the performances on the screen i must say the HIStory tour is by far the worst one he ever gave.

I'll say what i always say with the tours...
they should make "concert movies"... a mix of songs from different concerts, mixed with snippets from the rare promo interviews and public appearances he gave in between. So theres a good impression of the whole WORLD TOUR spectacle.

Of course that is a lot more work and would require some expensive hunt for licenses of TV footage...
and as long as this "business first" joke of an estate is in control, this will never happen.

The sad thing about History is that the set list was amazing.
I think personally, that it's pretty pathetic that he'd invite a fan up on stage while lip-singing... He could have switched to the live mic while the fan was up there....

Dangerous tour was the best spectacle tour ever. For the powerfull intro (carmina burana and then the cool toaster) and the rocketman outro alone! In comparison the HIStory tour intro was so lame... that boring too long animation and the funny looking plastik rocket, and no spectacular outro at all. nah...

I liked the animation! I never got the oppurtinity to see it live but I can imagine watching that animation in a packed stadium with anticipation building up! The rocket ship was amazing too. I have asked people about this tour and they fondly remember MJ climbing out of the rocket ship in his golden suit. Even when I watched the tour on YouTube I didn't skip the animation because I wanted it to be like a concert experience lol. It was a futuristic idea. The costume was excellent with a military+space suit combo!

Imagine watching that animation in 3D in hall though. It would be great! The whole look and feel of this tour IS 3D material. Michael had implemented enough ideas for a visual treat!

I liked the animation! I never got the oppurtinity to see it live but I can imagine watching that animation in a packed stadium with anticipation building up! The rocket ship was amazing too.

Don't want to be hating on things... but as i already said, this animation is way too long and the music isn't building up anything.. it's too playfull. Absolutely no comparing to Carmina Burana in the Dangerous Tour opening clip ("Brace Yourself"), where the music alone gives you goose bumps no matter in what context it's used.

And the way that the rocket was lifted up (slowly and sideways) made it look like some cheap Disneyland attracktion stuff especially at shows where is wasn't dark outside yet and you could see more details. No such coolness and power as with the Toaster intro at the Dangerous Tour.

Of course being at such a show, all that didn't really matter. It was still a Michael Jackson event that you will never forget. But focussing on those details in retrospect ...looking at it close-up on a screen.. it's a different impression.

Of course but to the untrained-fan's eye it's nothing, plus Michael himself still used it for promo footage. In fact there are some parts of Munich I would prefer to others like Billie Jean even though he's missing some key moves (toe stand after spin, hop-and-point and 4-corner glide) the robotbend/spine-breaker move is pretty much unmatched, I think because he was sick it made it look a bit faster than he usually does it.

Of course but to the untrained-fan's eye it's nothing, plus Michael himself still used it for promo footage. In fact there are some parts of Munich I would prefer to others like Billie Jean even though he's missing some key moves (toe stand after spin, hop-and-point and 4-corner glide) the robotbend/spine-breaker move is pretty much unmatched, I think because he was sick it made it look a bit faster than he usually does it.

I'm not against Munich 1997 being released just because Michael missed a few dance moves. I'm against it's release because of the obvious 90% lip syncing. Now a days lip syncing is really looked down on and anyone caught lip syncing is made fun of. Anyone who has never seen Michael live before will come away from the HIStory Tour thinking that he was a lip sync artist who never sings live.

When Michael is being represented as a live performer to the general public then he needs to be shown at his best and the HIStory Tour (Especially Munich) was not him at his best.

And do you really want a concert to be released when Michael was sick? Wouldn't you rather a show where Michael was healthy and at his best?

Last edited:
I know for sure that many of you aren't going to like this but hear me out.
Michael's ability to perform declined as the years went on. I can see why, he was always under mounting stress, pain, pressure, etc.
However, releasing History to the theater's would be a very bad decision. The History Tour is a prime example Michael's decline during live performances. Look at the concerts, some shows he looked happy to be there, others, looked like he was going through the motions, didn't really want to be there.. His live vocals for this tour are horrible. I must be honest. The 96 leg of this tour sounded like he could barely sing and the 97 leg live vocals were very weak... Critics will rip this apart.
I doubt Mike would want this either.
Just imagine, 38 year old Michael miming a song from the late 70s?
Or sound raspy and rough during WBSS but sounding perfect through Stranger in Moscow?
To be honest, I'm not sure why Kenny or Michael made the final decision for almost everything to be playback, but it is disappointing. History really had an amazing setlist and many songs were from that album.

Release Dangerous in Mozana

It's a real shame that Michael never got to perform the This Is It concerts. The impression I got was that it was gonna be better than the HIStory Tour, and my guess is that it would have been on the same level as the Dangerous Tour

WHYYY are people so critical of everything these days? Them releasing this show is going to damage Michael's image? I doubt it, it's been available on YT for years. At least we're getting an official release on DVD and Blu-Ray, which means I can watch it on my flat screen TV and not my computer, and any time I wanna. For that, I am stoked. MORE MJ Projects, YES!

90% of it is lip-synching. So what? We have BAD Wembley, people know that Michael was perfectly capable of doing a whole concert with Live Vocals because of that. 99% of artists today lip-synch during live performances, it's become somewhat the norm, so I doubt people are going to criticize Michael for that, something he did in '97, that majority of singers who are dancers do today. And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the majority of all the HIStory shows, playback? Had This Is It happened, I'm not too sure he would've performed 100% every night with Live vocals, not at that age and those dance routines. Come on guys, we're getting more tours released, sooner or later Victory will be officially released, and that will show everyone once again, how great of an entertainer Michael was with 100% live vocals. Then hopefully we get the Triumph Tour as well.

Last edited:
WHYYY are people so critical of everything these days? Them releasing this show is going to damage Michael's image? I doubt it, it's been available on YT for years. At least we're getting an official release on DVD and Blu-Ray, which means I can watch it on my flat screen TV and not my computer, and any time I wanna. For that, I am stoked. MORE MJ Projects, YES!

Seeing MJ lip syncing 90% of a concert in cinemas would be embarrassing. I'm not against a low key fan release of the HIStory Tour but releasing it to cinemas would be a huge mistake. Bad Tour 1988 and Dangerous Tour are the tours that should be shown on the big screen. With MJ being at his best

When Michael is being represented as a live performer to the general public he needs to be shown at his best

Last edited:

90% of it is lip-synching. So what? We have BAD Wembley, people know that Michael was perfectly capable of doing a whole concert with Live Vocals because of that. 99% of artists today lip-synch during live performances, it's become somewhat the norm, so I doubt people are going to criticize Michael for that, something he did in '97, that majority of singers who are dancers do today. And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the majority of all the HIStory shows, playback? Had This Is It happened, I'm not too sure he would've performed 100% every night with Live vocals, not at that age and those dance routines. Come on guys, we're getting more tours released, sooner or later Victory will be officially released, and that will show everyone once again, how great of an entertainer Michael was with 100% live vocals. Then hopefully we get the Triumph Tour as well.

A show that is 90 percent lip-synced is very disappointing... If I went, I'd be disappointed, if I want to listen to studio vocals, I'll buy the album, it's cheaper and much more comfortable.
Secondly, History just isn't at his best... Even his live vocals are disappointing. If this was any of artist, they'd be disappointed with the miming to/

Seeing MJ lip syncing 90% of a concert in cinemas would be embarrassing. I'm not against a low key fan release of the HIStory Tour but releasing it to cinemas would be a huge mistake. Bad Tour 1988 and Dangerous Tour are the tours that should be shown on the big screen. With MJ being at his best

When Michael is being represented as a live performer to the general public he needs to be shown at his best

I thought it said it was being released on DVD & Blu-Ray? From a cinema standpoint, I see where you're coming from. But at the same time, people paid money to go see Justin Bieber essentially do the same thing with Never Say Never.

A show that is 90 percent lip-synced is very disappointing... If I went, I'd be disappointed, if I want to listen to studio vocals, I'll buy the album, it's cheaper and much more comfortable.
Secondly, History just isn't at his best... Even his live vocals are disappointing. If this was any of artist, they'd be disappointed with the miming to/

Then you're in for a world of disappoint because 90% of artists today who involve dance in the majority of their routines use Playback for live performances. Even those who don't dance, a lot of them still use playback for live performances.

IMO, when it comes to MJ projects or new releases there must not be mistakes because of “carelessness”.

I myself would prefer Dangerous Tour … or at least it better to come first, before History.
But I don’t think that History is not an option for it.

Even MJ lip syncing 90% of a concert is better than Justin or anyone else.
I understand that it is gonna be easy to criticize but Michael did this Tour for people not to forget about it and it was his last one ... It really can be wonderful experience.

Last edited:

I think you are very wrong about 99% of artists lip-synching today and that it's accepted. It is absolutely NOT accepted these days. The artists who lip-synch are the Britney Spears and the Justin Biebers of this world and they aren't taken seriously as artists.

I thought it said it was being released on DVD & Blu-Ray? From a cinema standpoint, I see where you're coming from. But at the same time, people paid money to go see Justin Bieber essentially do the same thing with Never Say Never.

Do we really not have higher expectations for Michael's image than to be put in the same category as Justin Bieber who no one takes seriously apart from his teenage fans?

Not long ago I read a review about Britney Spears' current Las Vegas shows and in the article it was mentioned that the show was lip-synched. You should have seen the comments! She was absolutely torn to pieces for that and degraded in every sense! I really don't want to see that with MJ. Why to put his weakest tour in cinemas when he had so many better tours with live singing and all? Why to reinforce the idea that he was a lip-synch artist who was in the same category as Justin Bieber and Britney Spears when you could show that he absolutely was not?

Other artists put their strongest performances in the cinema, not their weakest. It shouldn't be different for MJ.

Last edited:
90% of it is lip-synching. So what? We have BAD Wembley, people know that Michael was perfectly capable of doing a whole concert with Live Vocals because of that.

Fans know about MJ's previous tours and are aware that he was capable of doing a full concert with live vocals, but a lot of the general public won't be. If the HIStory Tour is released to cinemas then people who have never seen MJ live before will come away from that thinking he was a lip sync artist who never sings live.7

And the general public would think that the HIStory Tour was his best because that's the tour the estate choose to release

Then you're in for a world of disappoint because 90% of artists today who involve dance in the majority of their routines use Playback for live performances. Even those who don't dance, a lot of them still use playback for live performances.

Yeah, but 90% of the artist who do lip-sing don't lip-sing 90% of their shows either. That's not a justifiable reason.

if you think it's so easy, then I ask you to sing at full voice for two hours and to dance Michael's Choreography before you complain.

Back