[History concert] From the MJ2040 Spaceship to 3D Cinemas!

Re: From the MJ2040 Spaceship to 3D Cinemas!

no two shows are alike for any artist. It isn't quite like the movie 'ground hog day'. most likely, MJ was going to moonwalk differently for every performance..sing here or there, differently from concert to concert. And HIStory was during tough times with the record company. To me, Michael always put on a good face, and i was always struck by the magic.

No, they were all the same, more or less.

If there's one thing Michael's legacy doesn't need it's a reminder that he couldn't cut it live. We all know that's not the case but that's all this will serve to do.

It puts Michael on par with Steps or Britney from a purely musical standpoint. It's just not acceptable.

Munich is the only one shot with HD cameras. this was confirmed by Nocturne. thats why its the only candidate for blu-ray.
Copenhagen televised in HD is just an upscale of the poor sd (vhs source) that was shown on ch5 in sd and the quality is the same as what we have (vhs transfers). ch5 just de-noised and changed the colors. if you compare the sd and hd stream, they are the same, just heavy DNR-ed. so don't count copenhagen at all.

historyTour_fullsize.jpg

John Branca who is in London for the film premiere of Spike Lee’s Bad25 touched upon the future of Michael’s legacy. In a revealing Q & A, Mr.Branca revealed that Michael Jackson’s HISTORY concert will in fact get the 3D treatment. In what will be a future release.

Branca revealed the concert filmed in Europe was shot in full HD, and would be released following the anniversary of the album.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo::woohoo:

Last edited:

It was waaay worse when "This Is It" was being prepared. Just about 2 day's before Michael died complaints were coming in about the Sound System was terrible at the 02 Arena in London.

I never learned so much about the HIStory tour from all the different fan's who attended the "HIStory" concerts and exactly where Michael lipsynched , it was truly a learning experience. Although most didn't like it!

Parte-2 Michael Jackson History Tour Backstage - Blitz Special (Germany) By Vallevision

your keywords are 'most didn't like it'. That means they had to be on forums to discuss it. Which means, they were still fans, after that experience. Which means, the magic is still there.

Not a good idea to release in the Cinemas. Home video is fine though.

Munich is the only one shot with HD cameras. this was confirmed by Nocturne. thats why its the only candidate for blu-ray.
Copenhagen televised in HD is just an upscale of the poor sd (vhs source) that was shown on ch5 in sd and the quality is the same as what we have (vhs transfers). ch5 just de-noised and changed the colors. if you compare the sd and hd stream, they are the same, just heavy DNR-ed. so don't count copenhagen at all.

That may be the case, but it does not detract from the fact that Munich was a sub-par performance, even in his own standards he was disappointed. He cancelled its DVD release. He missed a lot of dance moves and his live singing voice was at its WORST. He clearly was not feeling well and he was wearing a lot of thick makeup. In the second concert, his jacket was very loose and in TDCAU it was undone! Although the sound is really cool it is not "natural" and had been remixed in the studio.

Even if it is a tape copy, Copenhagen has stood well to the test of time. CH 5 didn't air it until 2010. TV1000 also televised it in good quality in the late 90s, but sadly NO FAN had recorded it properly and each version either is bad quality or has audio skipping!

CH 5 didn't do much to their video except upscale it, but they totally fudged the audio (expanding the stereo and compressing parts, and censoring Scream). We still don't have anybody who has uploaded the HD upscale as they're in the hands of traders...

MJ does miss out a few things in Copenhagen (notably the spot-moonwalk) but overall he was smooth and happy during this concert.

Watch the unedited version of Munich, he is clearly struggling in some parts and pushing himself too hard. When he swings his heel on the ground, his foot actually bounces up and down. In the final edit (Billie Jean is all from July 4 they just changed camera angles), you can see they cut off any indication of this, like in Billie Jean when he sings live and goes "AAAOW!" it quickly cuts to a girl screaming in the audience to cover this up!

Sure Munich was filmed in HD, but I don't think all of it was, only the additional camera angles. Most of the camera angle are still "standard" like the main one that films the moonwalk or the crane at the side of the stadium.

If it was a different concert in SD tape/beta copy in the hands of the numerous TV stations around the world, namely TV1000, I wouldn't mind.

Unfortunately that brings us to another problem which is greedy fans who refuse to share their rare items, like the Italian fan club with their Brunei concerts or the Bad Tour 88 in Tokyo and Rome.

Last edited:
It's people's lost if they didn't find magic in The History World Tour. When many of us watch it for the first time, we were children, blew us away and we didn't give a damn if it was lip syncked or not.
Millions of us didn't have the chance to see him perform, that's why it was meaningful (if it's your case as well) the first concert we watch on TV.

I'm excited about, I'll support it and it'll make come true the dream of millions of crazy girls like moi: to see Michael's gorgeous body wearing THE GOLD PANTS IN 3D! :dribble:

Last edited:
It's people's lost if they didn't find magic in The History World Tour. When many of us watch it for the first time, we were children, blew us away and we didn't give a damn if it was lip syncked or not.
Millions of us didn't have the chance to see him perform, that's why it was meaningful (if it's your case as well) the first concert we watch on TV.

I'm excited about, I'll support it and it'll make come true the dream of millions of crazy girls like moi: to see Michael's gorgeous body wearing THE GOLD PANTS! :dribble:

True except in MUNICH his pants were shriveled up and not smooth like they were in other concerts where he wasn't sick. If you watch the bug part which was taken from LEIPZIG, his gold pants look really nice and clean and overall he looks a lot healthier and in the mood.

I really want LEIPZIG, but all we have is a 14 minute amateur video.

True except in MUNICH his pants were shriveled up and not smooth like they were in other concerts where he wasn't sick. If you watch the bug part which was taken from LEIPZIG, his gold pants look really nice and clean and overall he looks a lot healthier and in the mood.

I really want LEIPZIG, but all we have is a 14 minute amateur video.

I agree on your comment he looked healthier and happier in other concerts than in Munich but it makes me angry the negativity of some fans towards THWT, that's why I made that comment about it. As long as it's complete and Michael looking healthy and happy, I support its release...

@frankyboy

I know what you mean. But the visual and audio quality of Munich is amazing.
Think about the very first time when you watch it. How did you feel?
To me it was great. I did guess all the time what was playback and what not. After the second time it was clear. But to me Michael is so cool in that one. Yes he is trying hard and thats some how just i don't know even more great (can't discribe it). In copenhagen he looks really tired, but bust some great moves.
To be honest the best release for that tour would be some of the '96 leg. I prefer those to the 97. Full of energy. The 97 his dancing is more smooth and better. But he doesnt look healthy.
But there is something about munich. It was planed for ww broadcast (don't know how true those rumors about dvd release are,i doubt it).
I think it was in this thread that someone said, stuff we pay attention, like lipsynching, missed moves(???)
( you are not right about this one. He doesnt have to do specific moves on every show, the owwwss in Bj and stuff you pointed out)

and so on, regular people don't take that serious. The concert is great.

In the end, the estate can't always hear us and our nitpicking about stuff, that isnt really that serious. I know we want rhe best. Michael to be presented in the best light. But History tour was the way it was. You cant change it.
So reading all the complainings fans have with that tour and why they dont like it, to me they are not better to all these "critics" that ignore everything that Michael did in the 90's.

The estate can't always release crappy quality stuff, just to satisfy us. The wembley dvd is not acceptable, but is for us the fans.
In rhe end is about business. To make profit you have to bring quality stuff that applies also to the regular music buyer. So the fans are very selfish in their way of thinking and should not exaggerate that "estate is listening to us" situation.

Munich is good enough for official release. And that idea to make 3d is to made it interesting for the fans, cause we have it in great quality and are seen it to death.

I like Munich, of course his voice isn't good at all but his dance is fine. But for a cinema release, I think Dangerous Tour would be better, lots of more energy and less playback, but I don't know if the concerts were shot on film.
I would like HT Munich to be released directly to Blu-Ray though, would be amazing to see the show in that quality.

Personally i'd rather have a concert that isn't HD with MJ giving a great performance instead of a concert that is in HD with MJ giving a not so good performance.

Well if the project does come to light fans can make thier request if there is a better quality concert.
Its not definate.. . And the Estate does listen. There are pros and cons _ they know what they have.

So, if Estate does listen, GHOSTS should be released asap.

In a perfect world they would release the Brunei concert in good quality. MJ was on fire that night. Probably because it was the very first concert of the tour and he had more energy in him

In a perfect world they would release the Brunei concert in good quality. MJ was on fire that night. Probably because it was the very first concert of the tour and he had more energy in him

MJ seemed rather :S in the Prague concert. Royal concert was a one-off concert months before the HIStory Tour so he was probably more hyped up.

He was also on fire during HWT Brunei but sadly we're stuck with the crappy bass-distorted VCD rip because those greedy fans won't share their HQ VHS.

@analogue
I've said it many times, its not about what you personaly think or what we all think is enough for us.

Its 2012.
Vhs is dead for 15 years now. Dvd will be gone 2-3 years totaly. If the estate and sony want to profit and that legacy everyone wants to keep, they have to release HQ stuff.
Don't you get it? They only reason the estate release that crappy wembley dvd is to make good the mess up they did with "Michael". Ok?

And Brunei? Talking about poore vocals, this is so not the right one. And i think they cant release it, cause its a privat concert.

I have't been a fan all my life and when I first watched HWT, before being a fan, I didn't even think about it being play back.

neither did i think about it. that's what's cool. it's only other fans who bring it up, who bring it to mind. each person should be allowed to think what they want, but, for those who totally enjoy the experience, they should be allowed to do that, too.

I was talking about the brunei concert from the HIStory Tour not The Royal Brunei concert

Anyway in my opinion the Munich concert should never be released. Cause it was MJ's/one of MJ's weakest performances from the HIStory Tour in my opinion. I don't care if it's available in super duper, jaw dropping, crytal clear, dazzling HD quality. No HD is gonna make MJ's performance any better

Last edited:
it's worth mentioning, to remember that Michael didn't have to tour, for merit reasons, but was forced to, for label reasons...especially during HIStory time. he loved the fans. for someone who was going through what he was going through, he was a trooper.

it's worth mentioning, to remember that Michael didn't have to tour, for merit reasons, but was forced to, for label reasons...especially during HIStory time. he loved the fans. for someone who was going through what he was going through, he was a trooper.

Exactly, he went through a lot of injustice and unnecesary bullshit, he could had cancelled the tour but he was never a quitter but a warrior and he proved it all the way with HIStory!

Except he didn't tour the U.S. (except 2 Hawaii shows)

Except he didn't tour the U.S. (except 2 Hawaii shows)

you know what? it literally wasn't safe for him to tour the usa at that time. that's how hostile the media was. but like you said, he went to the islands twice so that's a usa tour, considering that there were countries he never was able to visit. but he did more than enough considering what he went through. there were times that i wasn't the only one who felt that if he toured some of the states during that time, there might be snipers nearby.

Yeh i dont think its 100% decided for sure that the estate are going to do it but i think they are thinking bout it

your keywords are 'most didn't like it'. That means they had to be on forums to discuss it. Which means, they were still fans, after that experience. Which means, the magic is still there.

It was exciting times reading the different comments from all the fans as the anticipation grew and the excitement of seeing Michael live at the 02 Arena in London beginning in July.

I felt sorry for Michael because the fans attending the Shows were some tough customer's. They just flat out hated Michael lipsynching. This will go down in HIStory and memory lane!!!

It was exciting times reading the different comments from all the fans as the anticipation grew and the excitement of seeing Michael live at the 02 Arena in London beginning in July.

I felt sorry for Michael because the fans attending the Shows were some tough customer's. They just flat out hated Michael lipsynching. This will go down in HIStory and memory lane!!!

i hear what you're saying. They were tough.

O.T.
What is that, pictured in your signature?

There are people out there that still think badly of Michael.

There are people out there that are indifferent to Michael.

I want big projects to actually show Michael at his optimum. People are so ignorant, still, when it comes to MJ...'oh he didn't really write his own songs', 'he always mimed'...things the Estate are doing should be a way to remind people just how wonderful Michael was. If the haters and the casuals see Munich 1997 then they're going to come away thinking Michael Jackson was a good performer perhaps, but not a good live act. This is criminal, as to me, he was the greatest there ever was.

I know the Estate shouldn't be tailoring their releases to what haters and casuals might think, but I do think an element of that is important. For his legacy.

Back