DJ Benny-D and Akon Set to Perform with Michael at O2

I don't mind Akon's sounds.... I must be an oddity. :p

I know nothing's been confirmed yet, and this could be just about the supporting acts... but how cool would it be to have everyone in the Arena holding hands at the same time, especially to Hold My Hand! :D Akon or no Akon. :p

ask anybody who went to the 30th anniversary concert with ALL those artist. would you say that their night was ruined because of that? don't think so. some of you need to chill out. it's not like he is doing the whole show with mike.

on the 30th anniversary concert he said he wasn't involved at all in who's performing or not, it was like he just didn't care that's why the concert wasn't that good either in my opinion
this time I hope he's not doing the same thing this is the time to get serious

Michael can sing very well,we know that.So he doesnt need any singer as a supporting act,he must get guest players like Slash or he can ask Velvet Revolver to play beat it and he can sing.It wud be different and it wud sound awesome..Mike doesnt need any other singer,he needs some players who are famous plus who are really talented and Slash comes on top of that.Akon might be good commercially but not critically,Slash is good for both commercial and critical things.Im sayin Slash Slash again and again cuz we have already seen how dynamic these both are on stage.I havent seen Akon live ever but his voice is one of the worst I ever heard thts for sure..And I don't think Akon can be that electric on stage like Mike and Slash.

Bottom Line is Drop Akon and Call SLASH:cheers:

michael can sing very well,we know that.so he doesnt need any singer as a supporting act,he must get guest players like slash or he can ask velvet revolver to play beat it and he can sing.it wud be different and it wud sound awesome..mike doesnt need any other singer,he needs some players who are famous plus who are really talented and slash comes on top of that.akon might be good commercially but not critically,slash is good for both commercial and critical things.im sayin slash slash again and again cuz we have already seen how dynamic these both are on stage.i havent seen akon live ever but his voice is one of the worst i ever heard thts for sure..and i don't think akon can be that electric on stage like mike and slash.

Bottom line is drop akon and call slash:cheers:

hear hear! :D

Last edited:
on the 30th anniversary concert he said he wasn't involved at all in who's performing or not, it was like he just didn't care that's why the concert wasn't that good either in my opinion
this time I hope he's not doing the same thing this is the time to get serious
The 30th anniversary concerts were a tribute to Michael. This time he is giving a concert like any other artist. All big artist have a supporting act I guess. At the moment Akon is a big name in the music industry, maybe the biggest along with Kanye and Ne-yo. So, I think it is cool Akon is Michael's supporting act. I like his songs a lot too, they are all very melodic. Akon definitely has a talent.

The 30th anniversary concerts were a tribute to Michael. This time he is giving a concert like any other artist. All big artist have a supporting act I guess. At the moment Akon is a big name in the music industry, maybe the biggest along with Kanye and Ne-yo. So, I think it is cool Akon is Michael's supporting act. I like his songs a lot too, they are all very melodic. Akon definitely has a talent.

That all depends on what country your in really. Here in the uk Akon is definately not one of the biggest names!
Duffy, Leona lewis, coldplay and amy winehouse were the biggest selling artists of last year.

And akon didn't even come in the top 50 worldwide!
http://www.ifpi.com/content/library/top50-2008.pdf

And even then...I don't see any mention of Akon here..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/02/the-top-selling-artists-o_n_147653.html

Last edited:
I can understand why Akon is not everyone's cup of tea, I'm not really into his stuff either but at the end of the day he is just the opening act and will warm up the crowd. Akon is popular whether people want to admit it or not, its not just a coincidence that he's appearing all over the charts featuring in other people's songs and videos as well as his own.

Michael is and will always be the main attraction because he is an icon and a legend and always will be. Also let's face it people will be complaining whoever the opening act is whether it be Akon or Leona Lewis or JLS or The Saturdays, I mean a single artist isn't going to suit everybody's musical tastes. Its Michael's show and that's what is important, we are there to see him and support him and that's something we will all be sharing :).

Last edited:
That all depends on what country your in really. Here in the uk Akon is definately not one of the biggest names!
Duffy, Leona lewis, coldplay and amy winehouse were the biggest selling artists of last year.

And akon didn't even come in the top 50 worldwide!
http://www.ifpi.com/content/library/top50-2008.pdf

And even then...I don't see any mention of Akon here..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/02/the-top-selling-artists-o_n_147653.html
He is a global artitst. I don't know about Duffy. I don't know her. :)

He is a global artitst. I don't know about Duffy. I don't know her. :)

Yea I know, I was saying how successful he is or isn't depends on which country you reside. BUT I also posted the top 50 biggest selling artists of 2008 GLOBALLY and hes not listed in that either..

Im not saying hes not well know, liked and recognised (clearly by this thread) worldwide, Im just saying hes hardly one of the biggest names in the industry right now like you said...

Yea I know, I was saying how successful he is or isn't depends on which country you reside. BUT I also posted the top 50 biggest selling artists of 2008 GLOBALLY and hes not listed in that either..

Im not saying hes not well know, liked and recognised (clearly by this thread) worldwide, Im just saying hes hardly one of the biggest names in the industry right now like you said...

You know clearly what you say is biased and is NOT factual in anyway, claiming Akon was not in the top 50 artists of 2008 is a joke, he didn't release his album until December 2008, so he isn't gonna be in the best selling of 2008

And Akon is big in the UK alot of people listen and enjoy his music, and for everyones information Akon last album has been on the charts for 17 weeks and still resides in the top 10!! is that not popular?

is akon only the opening act or does he come on stage with michael??

As far as we know, he is the opening act gathering from what that DJ Benny guy said. It is possible that he may perform one song with MJ onstage like Hold My Hand but then again he might not. None of us know what's happening because the shows are meant to be a surprise.

Last edited:
You know clearly what you say is biased and is NOT factual in anyway, claiming Akon was not in the top 50 artists of 2008 is a joke, he didn't release his album until December 2008, so he isn't gonna be in the best selling of 2008

And Akon is big in the UK alot of people listen and enjoy his music, and for everyones information Akon last album has been on the charts for 17 weeks and still resides in the top 10!! is that not popular?

OMG! Yes Im biased, but the CLEAR FACTS that I stated are from the IFPI? do you even know who they are? And I was just stating that he was not in the top 50 of artist in 2008 WORLDWIDE (cudn't use 2009 as its not over yet!!!). THIS IS A FACT! If you don't like it then fine, but trying to deny this FACT, THAT is plain stupid! Especially since you clearly contradict yourself in the same sentence...first im a liar and its just my biased opinon, THEN its cos he didn't release his album till end of 2008 (that may well be but it doesn't make that FACT any less true!). And your one to talk about being biased mr AKONmj!!!!!

Yes hes in the charts in the uk now, Im not denying PLAIN FACTS like you. AND im not saying hes not popular or unsuccessful. That is clear to see. I was just answering someone saying that he is one of, if not the most important person in the music industry!!!

quantity does not equal quality in mainstream music.

Just because he well a couple mill albums does not mean he's any good.

OMG! Yes Im biased, but the CLEAR FACTS that I stated are from the IFPI? do you even know who they are? And I was just stating that he was not in the top 50 of artist in 2008 WORLDWIDE (cudn't use 2009 as its not over yet!!!). THIS IS A FACT! If you don't like it then fine, but trying to deny this FACT, THAT is plain stupid! Especially since you clearly contradict yourself in the same sentence...first im a liar and its just my biased opinon, THEN its cos he didn't release his album till end of 2008 (that may well be but it doesn't make that FACT any less true!). And your one to talk about being biased mr AKONmj!!!!!

Yes hes in the charts in the uk now, Im not denying PLAIN FACTS like you. AND im not saying hes not popular or unsuccessful. That is clear to see. I was just answering someone saying that he is one of, if not the most important person in the music industry!!!

All akonmj was saying is that it isn't fair to use the Top 50 Artist of 2008 list against Akon when Akon didn't release anything until December. I think that is what he meant anyway.

Anyyway it seems like Akon is going to be part of the shows in some shape or form and I guess we are just going to have to accept that.

Yeah, I hear what your saying, but it does mean a couple of million people like him

yes quantity doesn't equal quality but these days people go for "who's more popular" that's why the current music is crap

All akonmj was saying is that it isn't fair to use the Top 50 Artist of 2008 list against Akon when Akon didn't release anything until December. I think that is what he meant anyway.

Anyyway it seems like Akon is going to be part of the shows in some shape or form and I guess we are just going to have to accept that.

Yea im more than happy to accept Akons in the show, and have already said that I'm just happy its not the saturdays :lol: Im gonna be in a dream before the show starts so I won't even see Akon hehe

Again I was responding to someone claiming that he's one of the most important people in the music industry. And I will not stand for someone calling me a liar! And even he did mean what you said he meant, he still stated that what I said (even though I provided a source) was just biased and wasn't factual! If there was data for 2009 from a reliable source already then I would use it...

ha ha but why do you post that he was not one of the top 50 artists of 2008 when he didn't even have any work out until the last month of the year? seems bizarre and is completely unrelated as when he did release his album it charted high and stayed there

Can't we all just get along.......group hug anyone....anyone lol.

yes quantity doesn't equal quality but these days people go for "who's more popular" that's why the current music is crap

So people go for who is the most popular..........well they must have been good for people to make them popular in the first place!

People just don't get popular and Michael likes Akon that speak volumes

MICHAEL LIKES AKON IT DOESN'T MATTER IF WE DONT!

ha ha but why do you post that he was not one of the top 50 artists of 2008 when he didn't even have any work out until the last month of the year? seems bizarre and is completely unrelated as when he did release his album it charted high and stayed there

I was using that to say that he is not one of the most important artists in the music industry. But if you would like it from a different perspective. Coldplay sold 6.8 million copies of Viva La Vida Or Death worldwide to reach no. 1 in the worldwide charts of 2008. I couldn't find specifc data on Akons record sales of his latest album, but according to his official site he has sold 7 million albums worldwide, with his first album selling 2mil and his 2nd album selling 3mil, only leaving sales of 2 million worldwide for his latest album. Which in comparrison to the sales figures of last years albums, will not earn him the top spot on the top 50 artists of the year (I don't have time to figure out where he would come in comparrison)

And FYI, I know that his album didn't go on sale till dec 08, but his initial first month sales for his latest album would have been included in the chart, as they are not published till 2 months into 2009 I believe.

So people go for who is the most popular..........well they must have been good for people to make them popular in the first place!

People just don't get popular and Michael likes Akon that speak volumes

MICHAEL LIKES AKON IT DOESN'T MATTER IF WE DONT!

Erm as much as we must respect michaels decision on who he would like to support him, it does very much matter if we don't like akon. We are the ones paying the money for a ticket to the show...Michaels not gonna be the one watching it....

And before you say it, no that doesn't mean im gonna sell my ticket cos akons playing, I just won't watch him. And no matter how much you wanna say that we paid to see michael and it doesn't matter, some of the money we paid out for the ticket will be going straight into Akons pocket.

This show is for his fans, and Michael would want a support act that would please his fans not just him. NOW IM NOT SAYING that Akon shouldn't play just cos I don't like him. But if everyone disliked him, do you really think that wouldn't matter to michael???? pahleasssee!

Erm as much as we must respect michaels decision on who he would like to support him, it does very much matter if we don't like akon. We are the ones paying the money for a ticket to the show...Michaels not gonna be the one watching it....

And before you say it, no that doesn't mean im gonna sell my ticket cos akons playing, I just won't watch him. And no matter how much you wanna say that we paid to see michael and it doesn't matter, some of the money we paid out for the ticket will be going straight into Akons pocket.

This show is for his fans, and Michael would want a support act that would please his fans not just him. NOW IM NOT SAYING that Akon shouldn't play just cos I don't like him. But if everyone disliked him, do you really think that wouldn't matter to michael???? pahleasssee!

Thing is though no matter who the opening act its not really going to please everyone. A lot of artists right now tend to split people down the middle, they tend to either love them or hate them and that's the big problem i.e. Akon, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Lily Allen.

I do think it would be cool if Lionel Richie opened for Michael because they are both good friends with each other and I think he's someone that the fans would enjoy and are familiar with some of his songs.

Thing is though no matter who the opening act its not really going to please everyone. A lot of artists right now tend to split people down the middle, they tend to either love them or hate them and that's the big problem i.e. Akon, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Lily Allen.

I do think it would be cool if Lionel Richie opened for Michael because they are both good friends with each other and I think he's someone that the fans would enjoy and are familiar with some of his songs.

Yea I know that. Still think its silly to state whether or not we like Akon doesn't matter at all...

Anyway, Yes Lionel Richie would be verrry good! :)

Yea I know that. Still think its silly to state whether or not we like Akon doesn't matter at all...

Anyway, Yes Lionel Richie would be verrry good! :)
Katzr2000 you Akon hater! :) Check out this new single by Lionel Richie featuring Akon, it's great!!!!!!! The video features Diana Ross' son as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f94KnjLcOs

There is a reason why great artists like Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson want to work with Akon. Lady Gaga was discovered by Akon as well. 'Lonely' and 'Don't Matter' are some very big hits by Akon.

Last edited:
Back