DJ Benny-D and Akon Set to Perform with Michael at O2

Katzr2000 you Akon hater! :) Check out this new single by Lionel Richie featuring Akon, it's great!!!!!!! The video features Diana Ross' son as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f94KnjLcOs

There is a reason why great artists like Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson want to work with Akon. Lady Gaga was discovered by Akon as well. 'Lonely' and 'Don't Matter' are some very big hits by Akon.

That 'reason' you talk of is called 'the bandwagon'. Michael jumped on the band wagon before with rodney jerkins, look how that turned out.

I love Lionel Richie but that song is just plain awful.

Katzr2000 you Akon hater! :) Check out this new single by Lionel Richie featuring Akon, it's great!!!!!!! The video features Diana Ross' son as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f94KnjLcOs

There is a reason why great artists like Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson want to work with Akon. Lady Gaga was discovered by Akon as well. 'Lonely' and 'Don't Matter' are some very big hits by Akon.

lol do you know whats funny, is that I don't even hate Akon that much, there are a lot more artists who get on me tits alot more than him! BUT that was before the thought of having to sit through a however long set of him! lol

And yea ^^^ it is called the "artist of the moment bandwagon" that older generation artists feel that they have to colab with to make themselves look young and hip! When the fans really wanna hear the sort of music that THEY make, not their younger rivals. And I'm not aiming this at michael imparticularly....quite a few people jump to mind....like tom jones :lol:

Also this has nothing to do with me being biased cos I don't like akon, I actually love rodney jerkins cos Im a huge Toni Braxton fan, but after hearing invinsible I was far from impressed (don't get me wrong there are some wiked tracks on there, just overall..) and I don't think this was because RJ was rubbish, just not right for Michael!!!

lol do you know whats funny, is that I don't even hate Akon that much, there are a lot more artists who get on me tits alot more than him! BUT that was before the thought of having to sit through a however long set of him! lol

And yea ^^^ it is called the "artist of the moment bandwagon" that older generation artists feel that they have to colab with to make themselves look young and hip! When the fans really wanna hear the sort of music that THEY make, not their younger rivals. And I'm not aiming this at michael imparticularly....quite a few people jump to mind....like tom jones :lol:

Also this has nothing to do with me being biased cos I don't like akon, I actually love rodney jerkins cos Im a huge Toni Braxton fan, but after hearing invinsible I was far from impressed (don't get me wrong there are some wiked tracks on there, just overall..) and I don't think this was because RJ was rubbish, just not right for Michael!!!
Ok, I understand your point of view. And I share your feelings about Invincible too. I would like Michael to write his own songs as well. However, I am afraid that he has lost the drive that is necessary to make the best album ever and therefore relies on other people to produce his album. Maybe, that's why a lot of songs on Invincible were not produced by MJ. 'Hold My Hand' was a big disappointment to me as well. Let's just hope his new album (if there will be one) will be the bomb. On the other hand, I do think Michael can use some advice about which songs to include on the new album. No more songs like: 'The Lost Children'. It would be highly inappropriate and we have heard enough of that now.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand your point of view. And I share your feelings about Invincible too. I would like Michael to write his own songs as well. However, I am afraid that he has lost the drive that is necessary to make the best album ever and therefore relies on other people to produce his album. Maybe, that's why a lot of songs on Invincible were not produced by MJ. 'Hold My Hand' was a big disappointment to me as well. Let's just hope his new album (if there will be one) will be the bomb. On the other hand, I do think Michael can use some advice about which songs to include on the new album. No more songs like: 'The Lost Children'. It would be highly inappropriate and we have heard enough of that now.

Agreed :D

I don't think Akon will perform with MJ at every concert.

Maybe the first concert as a special or something, but hopefully not at every concert. - I like Akon (not his music) he has always been very nice towards Mike. - But I don't hope he will perform with MJ.

lol..This thread shud never had title "DJ Benny-D and Akon Set to Perform with Michael at O2"..
It shud be titled as "Anti Akon Thread":D

Though Im not anti Akon or something but I think he doesnt match Michael on stage,he is not a right artist to be onstage with Michael.Recording studio is something else but Live on stage is different and I think Akon can't match with Michael's electricity on stage and if he show up on the first song of the show then it would really look bad cuz we know on all his tours Michael always seems to explode on the first song always and if Akon is with him on the first song of the show,fans will not get what they deserve,THE EXPLOSIVE MICHAEL.
So I will stuck to Slash in the first place if Michael realy want any guest Stars in his concerts.Though I believe whatever song Mike open with,he shud do it Solo not with any of the guest artists so that atleast fans will have that feel good feeling:cheeky:

Akon isn't even close to the "Giganty stage" in his career to perform with michael! He could do the first show in one song yes! but every show would suck! I dont like Akon and he would pull the whole MJ IS COMMING BACK, donw!
MJ IS COMMING BACK AND PROMOTING AKON! thats not how it's gonna be!
I want a Michael Jackson show like in the old days, with only Michael and a few background dancers!

as long as akon is only supporting act and is on stage before michael comes, i dont care really..

Yeah you could if you wanted to be pedantic about it...times have changed so it's not the same logic at all.

Actually, it is the same logic. Thriller 25 and and Freedom have both sold really well. Both came out last year.

Numers say a lot. Let's compare Akon to Soulja Boy. Akon has been around, has been popular, and has sold and charted a lot. Akon is known for various songs. Soulja Boy hasn't sold as much, and is known for one song, maybe 2 or 3 counting Yea Trick Yea.

Akon has talent and that is why people like him and remember him. If he didn't have talebt, he'd be like Soulja Boiy, who no one really cares about aside from dancing to Crank Dat.

Actually, it is the same logic. Thriller 25 and and Freedom have both sold really well. Both came out last year.

Numers say a lot. Let's compare Akon to Soulja Boy. Akon has been around, has been popular, and has sold and charted a lot. Akon is known for various songs. Soulja Boy hasn't sold as much, and is known for one song, maybe 2 or 3 counting Yea Trick Yea.

Akon has talent and that is why people like him and remember him. If he didn't have talebt, he'd be like Soulja Boiy, who no one really cares about aside from dancing to Crank Dat.

Its different, because thriller was in a different era. The music industry has changed A LOT since then!

But anyway, this has also got a lot to do with ADVERTISING! not just talent.

I agree with some of yall who believe this is taken way outta hand..... and I CANNOT WAIT till the day when this comes around, and Mike and Akon own our butts. That'll be the funniest shiz in the world.

Posted on digitalspy...

Akon has now been confirmed as support act for the following shows:

8th July
10th July
12th July
14th July
16th July
18th July
22nd July
24th July
26th July
28th July
17th August
19th August
21st September
23rd September
27th September
29th September

It was confirmed via Akon's tour DJ, who posted the dates on his website

If this is true, at least I won't have to suffer him twice! :D

If this list turns out to be legit then he'll be on the night I'm there. Tis fine. I'm not a big Akon fan but I like some of his songs so I'm more of a casual listener. If early concerts prove he's going to do HMH with Michael then my excitement would increase (as if that's possible). If not, then whatever. Not gonna be ticked if he opens the show. I can use that time to buy some merchandise/memorabilia. :girl_whistle:

On another note, I saw some comments about Akon slapping a fan in the face during a concert. If this is about the girl that got whacked by him while they were on top of a car, other footage (full version) was finally released showing he didn't intentionally hit her. It was an accident becuz of the instability of them standing on the car and he actually tried to help her keep her balance after the blow. It's late and I'm tired so not gonna go hunt the footage down at the mo...maybe tomorrow if it's important to anyone. Just wanted to clear up that misconception as I find it unfair when others do it to MJ and hold him accountable for things that aren't true or misrepresented. :flowers:

Thanks for posting. I hope this information wasn't supposed to be top secret and the release of it has not ruined anything....altho I know some of you are praying it will. lol :cute:

I wouldn't be expecting MJ to duet HMH with Akon. That song doesn't feature Michael as much as it does Akon. It is really an Akon song with Michael appearing.

And I doubt very seriously if Michael will be seen on the same stage as Akon unless they had a duet out there with equal parts. I think that at the most, Akon willbe an opening act.

I wouldn't be expecting MJ to duet HMH with Akon. That song doesn't feature Michael as much as it does Akon. It is really an Akon song with Michael appearing.

And I doubt very seriously if Michael will be seen on the same stage as Akon unless they had a duet out there with equal parts. I think that at the most, Akon willbe an opening act.

At some point after the leak Akon said he had given the song to Michael so maybe the version we heard before isn't what we would hear in concert IF that song comes out of the bag again. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with the first concert. I know lots of ppl said those two would never be on a record together and that happened...even tho it wasn't officially released, so who knows? I think it would be a nice little bonus for the show but not expecting it.

It ain't about Akon's talented or not.Its about his presence in Michael Jackson's show and it will never be a successful idea to have Akon on stage with Michael doing any duet.And if Mike bring him up on stage on the opening song unfortunately he will be done.He should open every show by himself which I do believe will happen.He knows these are Michael Jackson concerts not Michael Jackson and Friends.And I think everybody who think having Akon on stage is good decision of Mike,no people this time Mike is so much wrong.He should think about both prospects of these shows,he should make them successful both commercially and critically.And having Akon's nasal crap could never be a critical success and anyway Mike has showed already he is still commercially successful artist no matter what media says.So now just critical success is needed and Im more than 1000% sure he can do it but Akon's presence will be a biggest obstacle for him to achieve that critical success.
:angel:Im still begging you Mike drop that chump,bring on some decent artists.

At some point after the leak Akon said he had given the song to Michael so maybe the version we heard before isn't what we would hear in concert IF that song comes out of the bag again.
akon is desperate to have him around of course he would give him the song he would do anything but I don't care how much michael would support him I just can't stand him

Yeah, ok then. I'm not even gonna bother with that one. To be honest, I wasn't getting into the whole Akon rules no he doesn't thing...I was just saying about it being a bit ott to say people could say that about Thriller because of sales or whatever. When it's totally different because A. Thriller is a masterpiece...and B. Nowadays the music industry is a totally different ball game. To justify what you said with Thriller 25 just says it all to me...how can you put that as the same? Oh well. Peace. :)

If this list turns out to be legit then he'll be on the night I'm there. Tis fine. I'm not a big Akon fan but I like some of his songs so I'm more of a casual listener. If early concerts prove he's going to do HMH with Michael then my excitement would increase (as if that's possible). If not, then whatever. Not gonna be ticked if he opens the show. I can use that time to buy some merchandise/memorabilia. :girl_whistle:

On another note, I saw some comments about Akon slapping a fan in the face during a concert. If this is about the girl that got whacked by him while they were on top of a car, other footage (full version) was finally released showing he didn't intentionally hit her. It was an accident becuz of the instability of them standing on the car and he actually tried to help her keep her balance after the blow. It's late and I'm tired so not gonna go hunt the footage down at the mo...maybe tomorrow if it's important to anyone. Just wanted to clear up that misconception as I find it unfair when others do it to MJ and hold him accountable for things that aren't true or misrepresented. :flowers:

Thanks for posting. I hope this information wasn't supposed to be top secret and the release of it has not ruined anything....altho I know some of you are praying it will. lol :cute:

I was actually referring to another time when he just jumped into the crowd and started beating on someone...

Akon is only there as a support act - guaranteed. MJ said he was "coming to London to play the songs his fans want to hear". Why would he perform "Hold My Hand" when very few members of the crowd would know it? Why would he perform "WBSS" from Thriller 25 - people want to hear the original!!

Also, the press release stated that there would be "surprise support acts". There is no doubt that Akon is just one of these acts.

Akon will probably only be performing for 10-15 dates of the residency even if he does support, which still isn't confirmed. I highly doubt MJ would allow someone like Akon on stage with him to perform.

Obviously everyone is entitled to there opinion, but I think its crazy people complaining about anything, so what if Akon is supporting, so what if they do Hold My Hand, its a Michael Jackson concert, the concert the majority have waited for for 12 years or all our lives, to be honest I think Akon will have no more that opening the show (supporting) 30 Mins on stage or whatever, thats all. Good for Akon, good for Michael, Akon is big today people wether you like that or not - I dont think Michael would chose anyone who he thought would not do his concerts justice, we're all there for Michael Jackson anyway, lol, but beleive it or not, Akon would be appealing to the majority of the neutrals in todays musical climate.

Hey Everyone, checked up on Akon & DJ-Benny's tour site and it had said before that the whole month of July was on hold for Michael Jackson concerts. Well now the month of July is booked with dates in Canada, so it looks as if he wont perform with Michael, at least in the month of July.

I posted a comment on the site, # 32. Hope to get more concrete info soon.

~Sam

Akon is only there as a support act - guaranteed. MJ said he was "coming to London to play the songs his fans want to hear". Why would he perform "Hold My Hand" when very few members of the crowd would know it? Why would he perform "WBSS" from Thriller 25 - people want to hear the original!!

Also, the press release stated that there would be "surprise support acts". There is no doubt that Akon is just one of these acts.

Akon will probably only be performing for 10-15 dates of the residency even if he does support, which still isn't confirmed. I highly doubt MJ would allow someone like Akon on stage with him to perform.

I think the crowd will be yelling " booo " if he stand there for about 4 songs

Back