Child prodigy Michael: when did YOU think he started? LOL

troubleman84

Proud Member
OK, since y'all got a problem with the way I worded what I wrote, I'll edit it for you, but mainly I wanted you to read this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050211051115/www.j5-collector.com/spotlite/apr03/main.htm

Now it has not been disputed that Michael made his first singing debut at five but then again lots of entertainers had their singing debuts at five. It didn't automatically start Michael's career! LOL

Just to show you how it started, wannabestartinsomethin21 (Nicole) said that she read that Michael joined the group in 1963, lol. But he wasn't five until August '63 and the Jackson 5 started as the Jackson Brothers that year. Michael and Marlon joined a year later as percussionists and in 1966, Michael and Marlon were made official members and it was that year that the Jackson 5 became the Jackson 5, lol.

Not trying to say that it matters when his career started, I'm just saying, some facts were embellished.

Now that THAT'S clear... I hope... :shifty:

Last edited:
Re: When Michael was FIVE??? LOL!

Very true and that was a good read. how'd you come across it?

And why has this thread got 20 views and no replies? I hope everyones just taking a long time to read it.

Very true and that was a good read. how'd you come across it?

When J5 Collector was active, I viewed it one day after class and managed to see this spot called "The Early Years" and as I read it, that's when I thought everything I knew about Michael's career changed slightly, lol.

^ Because beforehand I wasn't motivated, lol... but after seeing 1,000 "he's been working since he was five" comments, I couldn't take it anymore. :tease:

I gotta agree with this. He has been singing since he around 4-5, but never had a J-O-B until '66, I believe. I think the whole "he's been working since he was 5" business is a great image move, but that's it. For people who really want to know, it probably wasn't til around 8.

And that is STILL young. To be working and performing so much at 8 is still a huge deal to me!

Thank you for this article.

ummm....... eight. five. what's the big deal?
when ppl say "he's been doing it since he was five" couldn't they be referring to him singing since he was five???

ok, you got us...he was singing at five and working at eight.:doh:

BTW, cool link! never saw that website before!

He must have been SO precocious....I would have loved to see him when he was that little...so determined....and focused....what a little character he must have been...

^ awww and still is :wub:

I gotta agree with this. He has been singing since he around 4-5, but never had a J-O-B until '66, I believe. I think the whole "he's been working since he was 5" business is a great image move, but that's it. For people who really want to know, it probably wasn't til around 8.

And that is STILL young. To be working and performing so much at 8 is still a huge deal to me!

Thank you for this article.

Yeah like I said, that's still an incredible fact. The guy was working at 8 and he's still at it at 50... :yes:

He must have been SO precocious....I would have loved to see him when he was that little...so determined....and focused....what a little character he must have been...

I KNOW, right! I would want to see him in the recording studio putting down tracks for the old J5 hits. I wonder if he would dance back then or not? But he would be sooo cute to watch, i bet!

what age was he when he sang "Climb Every Mountain" at the school in Gary? I believe that was his first singing "gig".

ummm....... eight. five. what's the big deal?
when ppl say "he's been doing it since he was five" couldn't they be referring to him singing since he was five???

ok, you got us...he was singing at five and working at eight.:doh:

BTW, cool link! never saw that website before!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I'm really not seeing the point of the article to be honest. Whether he started at five or eight, it's not a big difference. Fact is that Mike was very young when he started in the business.

what age was he when he sang "Climb Every Mountain" at the school in Gary? I believe that was his first singing "gig".

He didn't get paid 'til Lucky's. Michael said he had to plead with the teacher to compete! :lol:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I'm really not seeing the point of the article to be honest. Whether he started at five or eight, it's not a big difference. Fact is that Mike was very young when he started in the business.

To make small talk. We need something to discuss besides "when's the album coming out?"

:lol:

Plus I'm a bit of a history freak so "it does matter". :cheeky:

Last edited:

to me it doesnt really matter when he started working, 5 or 7. i mean he was still a baby whether he was 5 or 7. the sweetest baby ever :wub: he started singing at the age of 5 and rehearsing at home. he was not officially working but he was doing a lot of practice at home everyday sacrificing other things that he'd like to do as a kid and that to me is work.

Thanx 4 that lol, its so many un-named pple who helped them lol

to me it doesnt really matter when he started working, 5 or 7. i mean he was still a baby whether he was 5 or 7. the sweetest baby ever :wub: he started singing at the age of 5 and rehearsing at home. he was not officially working but he was doing a lot of practice at home everyday sacrificing other things that he'd like to do as a kid and that to me is work.

Yeah... Generally you stop being a baby at the age of three, at seven your fully functional and can use the toilet all by yourself!

according to moonwalk, he was in kindergarten when that occurred. So he would've been about 5 or 6. Anyway, Michael says in Moonwalk that he started his career so early, he was too young to remember. In his mother's book she stated that he was about 5 or 6 when he sang at the talent show. before that, he would join his brothers at home singing and dancing, but joe wouldn't put him in the group because he thought he was too young. Katherine had to talk Joseph into it.

It dosent really matter when he started. age 5, 6, 7, 8 is completely arbitrary.

When he recorded Big Boy he was 9. Now did he sound like he just started in the buisness, and year or so prior? I don't think so. Have you seen their performance in 1969 on a hollywood palace with diana ross? Michael was only 10 and he performed as is he's been doing it for years. Completely professional.

Last edited:

Well Michael joined the group formed by Jackie, Tito and Jermaine at the age of five. Katherine convinced Joe to let him after he sang "Climb Every Mountain". It doesn't really matter whether he was paid for it or not until 66 or whenever. The point is, most five year olds aren't in a band and don't rehearse for several hours a day. They go to kindergarden, take 15 minute naps, eat animal crackers, drink apple juice and learn to count to 100. That's about as much as they "work", lol.

Yeah... Generally you stop being a baby at the age of three, at seven your fully functional and can use the toilet all by yourself!

yeah i know that. i didnt mean it literally. when i see a cute little child i call them "baby" because i find them very very sweet. when i first saw the ebony pics last year my first thought was "omg what a sweet baby" lol i didnt mean "baby" literally
also when i see cute animals that i like very much i call them "babies"

Thanks! I never get tired of watching that audition!

Oh yea! I love it! I saved it on my hard-drive. I've been searching the internet for the entire thing. I saw it once. The only one I have was when he was doing James Brown, but I know they did a few songs, including theri closing "we thank you" . That was so awesome.:clapping:

according to moonwalk, he was in kindergarten when that occurred. So he would've been about 5 or 6. Anyway, Michael says in Moonwalk that he started his career so early, he was too young to remember. In his mother's book she stated that he was about 5 or 6 when he sang at the talent show. before that, he would join his brothers at home singing and dancing, but joe wouldn't put him in the group because he thought he was too young. Katherine had to talk Joseph into it.

It dosent really matter when he started. age 5, 6, 7, 8 is completely arbitrary.

When he recorded Big Boy he was 9. Now did he sound like he just started in the buisness, and year or so prior? I don't think so. Have you seen their performance in 1969 on a hollywood palace with diana ross? Michael was only 10 and he performed as is he's been doing it for years. Completely professional.

Well I didn't say ALL of that now... :lol: I say that was confidence and knowledge of where he wanted to go. LOL

Back