"Captain EO" Will Return to Disneyland-Update pg28. Paris confirmed (threads merged)

"Captain" will come back in Tokyo disney land soon.
 I want a lot of children to see it.
 I am going to see with my son.

We're most likely going to Paris in August :) Just checked the flights and the hotel the other night, they just need to be booked and off we go! :dancin:

"Captain EO" returns to Epcot July 2
By Chuck Schmidt
May 19, 2010, 2:45PM
Walt Disney Company
Michael Jackson performs during one of the many spectacular dance numbers in "Captain EO," which returns to Epcot on July 2.
We kind of knew this was going to happen. At least, we really hoped it would ...
"Captain EO," starring the late Michael Jackson, made a triumphant return to Disneyland earlier this year for a limited engagement. On the heels of that unbridled success, the folks at Walt Disney World recently announced that the ground-breaking musical spectacular would be returning to Epcot, specifically to the Imagination pavilion where it first thrilled guests from 1986-1994.
"Captain EO" will begin its limited Epcot run on July 2, providing new audiences the opportunity to experience the original 3-D production for the very first time, as well as a nostalgic look back for longtime fans wanting to see Jackson in a rare performance created for the big screen.
"Captain EO" stars Jackson at the peak of his entertainment career, singing and dancing his way through the galaxy as he and his motley cast of furry crewmates — cute and cuddly Fuzzball and bumbling Hooter among them — helped save a very alien planet from an evil queen.
Disneyland
The audience reacts with applause as "Captain EO" makes its triumphant return to Disneyland on Feb. 23.
In addition to Jackson, the film’s credits are equally star-studded: The queen was played by Academy Award-winning actress Anjelica Huston. The film’s executive producer was George Lucas; it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola and choreographed by Jeffrey Hornaday.
Jackson wrote and performed two songs in the film, "Another Part of Me" and "We Are Here to Change the World."
We saw "Captain EO" several times during its original Epcot run and never failed to be entertained by its powerful music, dance productions and message.
A word to the wise this summer: Get to the Imagination pavilion early; you know the lines for "Captain EO" are going to be long.
© 2010 SILive.com. All rights reserved.

http://blog.silive.com/sinotebook/2010/05/captain_eo_returns_to_epcot_ju.html

I will be at Epcot bright and early...you best believe it!!

I am sooooo EXCITED!! I feel like crying just to think about it, I will be at Disney world to see the re-premier of Captain EO in the original pavillion as in 1986...
I am soo video taping the whole adventure lol!

Just to let yall know I just purchased Captain EO's Rainbow shirt!!!

There on sale now at Disneyland I was caught off guard when I saw they had them!

I'm really excited to see this again, I havnt seen it since I was a kid.. I do wish they did something new with it though and not just release it.. most 3-d films at theme parks have more than whats just going on on the screen.. For instance when sertain things happen the chairs move etc.. I think that would a been cool! but whatever I'm so excited!

I'm really excited to see this again, I havnt seen it since I was a kid.. I do wish they did something new with it though and not just release it.. most 3-d films at theme parks have more than whats just going on on the screen.. For instance when sertain things happen the chairs move etc.. I think that would a been cool! but whatever I'm so excited!

Well the floor does move. It's a new feature they added in. :) There used to be more effects too like smoke effects, but they couldn't get them all to work properly. They still have some of the lighting effects. It really is worth seeing again.

tests were done yesterday in the French park for a few lucky Guests.

Moving floor in action ! :p

Oooooh, I can't wait to get there!! :woohoo: It'll be amazing, seeing Captain EO for the 1st time and having my lovely friends there with me:wub:

Man, and I'm going to Disneyland Paris NEXT week and leaving Paris too soon. :( Oh well, at least I can try to find a cool T-shirt or some other kind of memorabilia. :)

This was posted on the Disneyland Paris Twitter page earlier, I can't speak French but I'm assuming it's saying which merchandise they're selling & and dates they become available? -

''Captain EO: Arrivée prévue en boutique le 7 juin des Tshirts Captain Eo (7 juin), le 8 juin du poster (8 juin) et des mugs (10 juin)''

This was posted on the Disneyland Paris Twitter page earlier, I can't speak French but I'm assuming it's saying which merchandise they're selling & and dates they become available? -

''Captain EO: Arrivée prévue en boutique le 7 juin des Tshirts Captain Eo (7 juin), le 8 juin du poster (8 juin) et des mugs (10 juin)''

Something like:

Captain EO'': Expected arrival in stores on June 7 of Tshirts Captain Eo (June 7), June 8 poster (June 8) and mugs (June 10)''

I'm going to Disneyland Paris in Jan 2011 - I hope it'll still be showing then.

Anybody know?

Captain EO returned to the Disneyland Paris theme park today and hundreds of fans of Michael Jackson and the attraction were on hand to celebrate.

Disneyland Paris has released the following video capturing the event. While it’s mostly in French, it’s safe to say that someone must’ve commented how easy it is to impersonate Michael Jackson when you cover your entire face. On that note, kudos to the fan with the (hopefully) prosthetic nose. There are some fans who speak in English as well as some footage of the attraction’s film towards the end.

Oh My God, The French Michael Jackson fans are so "PRECIOUS"!!!!
giveheart.gif

I THANK YOU FOR SHARING.:wub:
GOD BLESS YOU.

Disneyland Paris Opens Michael Jackson’s “Captain E.O.”

Image Copyright © 2010 The Walt Disney Company(06/11/2010) – Paris, France – Twelve years after it closed, Michael Jackson’s 3-D space adventure/music video epic, “Captain E.O.”, is screening again at Disneyland Paris. The attraction opened today to overwhelming response from Disneyland and Michael Jackson fans, all excited to experience the musical mastery of Jackson’s “E.O.” one more time.

“Captain E.O.” is a collaboration between Walt Disney Imagineering and Michael Jackson, and is directed by Francis Ford Coppola with George Lucas receiving executive producer credit. The project was initiated by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who wanted to help bring something new and relevant to the struggling Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California. During the mid-1980′s, no one’s star shined brighter than Jackson’s. Himself a tremendous lifelong Disney fan (Jackson often frequented Disney Parks, and visited Disneyland in California two weeks before his death), the artist composed two original songs for the film – “We Are Here (To Save the World)” and “Another Part of Me” (the later of which appeared on 1987′s Bad.

The story of the film consists of E.O., played by Jackson, leading a troupe of space misfits on yet another dangerous mission to the nether regions of space. This particular mission involves traveling to a surreal, industrial-looking planet (think a space-junk version of Star Wars’ Death Star) and finding the Supreme Leader (Anjelica Houston) to give her the gift of music; this gift, E.O. says, will help her unlock the beauty within.

“Captain E.O.” originally opened to rave reviews at Disneyland Park and Epcot at Disney World in September 1986; it opened the following year at Tokyo Disneyland and was an opening-day attraction at the then-named Euro Disneyland (now Disneyland Paris) in 1992. By 1998, however, all the “Captain E.O.” attractions in the four Disney Parks were closed, and later replaced with the far less successful “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”.

Due to popular demand by guests, spurred by Jackson’s untimely passing on June 25, 2009, Disneyland offered up a special engagement limited return of “Captain E.O.”; Disneyland Paris is now following suit. The show will also re-open later this summer at Epcot and Tokyo Disneyland. Although the run is limited, Disney has not announced a timeframe for the show’s closing. “Captain E.O.” is now playing in Discoveryland.

-Report by William J. Nash-McAdam

http://www.thecaliforniasource.com/5070-disneyland-paris-opens-michael-jacksons-captain-e-o/

Captain eo was amazing as its always been, here are some pics from me and SoSo deafs visit.
316kcc4.jpg

ftpz5l.jpg

1ooqiw.jpg

fm1b35.jpg

Nice pics, seems like you had a great time. Loving the shirts :) I'm going to see EO in Paris on August 5th, and I just can't wait to get there!! :dance:

I’ll be in Paris in September / end of August, hope its still there around that time.. so excited!

I don't think anyone ever posted a pic of the Rainbow tee... here it is:

101_3328.jpg

I got it a couple of weeks ago but I forgot too.

101_3330.jpg

They've also put out a keychain for those that haven't been in a while.

'Captain EO’: Performers remember making Michael Jackson’s 3-D movie set to return Epcot
Behind the scenes, Dewayne Bevil, Featured, Things to do — By Dewayne Bevil on June 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm

The return of Captain EO to Epcot will have folks in remember-when mode. Remember when EO opened in 1986 and director Francis Ford Coppola was there? Remember when Michael stood on that car outside the courthouse and waved to fans? Remember when we heard the news last year that he’d been taken to the hospital and it didn’t look good?

Renee Collette danced in 'EO,' says Jackson was a big influence on her.

Two people with up-close-and-personal memories of Jackson are Debbie Lee Carrington and Renee Collette, who performed in Captain EO, the 17-minute film that returns to Walt Disney World for a limited (but open-ended) engagement beginning Friday, July 2.

At the time of the shoot, she didn’t know what the project was all about, says Collette, who danced in EO.

“I had no idea it was for a theme park,” she says. “I just knew that it was Michael Jackson’s big 3-D extravaganza.”

The EO set was relaxed and professional, she remembers.

“Michael was a great teacher. He knew what he wanted, and he was adamant – not rude to people at all, ever – but he was adamant on what he wanted,” she says. “We’d do it over and over.”

Carrington had a speaking role and a distinctive costume for EO.

“I’m half of the three-legged, two-headed character called the geex,” Carrington says. “We are the navigator and the pilot for Michael Jackson, who is Captain EO.”

She says a body cast was made for her and another actor while they were lying down and “connected” at the hip. From there, a harness was made to keep them together while in the furry costume.

Debbie Lee Carrington played one-half of a geex in 'EO."

“It wasn’t very comfortable,” Carrington says. “It was actually quite challenging to coordinate and walk together with the other actor because we had to act as one.”

Director Francis Ford Coppola spent the first part of the rehearsal period with the cast, including Jackson and Anjelica Huston, doing improvs. The purpose was to get them to open up to one another and act like a team, just like in EO, Carrington says.

“Michael came out of his shell after the first day,” she says. That led to a fun, playful environment on the set, complete with practical jokes, Carrington says.

Both Collette and Carrington saw Captain EO for the first time in many years when the film came back to Disneyland earlier this year in California.

“It brought tears to my eyes to see it again,” Collette says. “It really was emotional.” It reminded her of what an influence Jackson had been on her and others.

“He was an inspirer,” she says.

Collette saw EO a few times a Disneyland, both back in the day — the initial run ended in 1994 — and in 2010.

“I smiled through the whole thing,” she says. “It just makes me feel so good when I see it because it’s a whole bombardment of emotions.”

After EO, Collette continued to dance but settled on a career making wildlife documentaries. Carrington has continued in the entertainment industry with acting work and stunt jobs. She says that she and Jackson remained friendly and, although he invited her to his house, she never went.

“Looking back, I wish I had,” she says. “I always thought ‘Well, we’ll work together, we’ll see each other again at another time.’ Unfortunately, it never happened. Then we lose him and you realize the permanence of that.”

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010...chael-jacksons-3-d-movie-set-to-return-epcot/

What’s old is new again as ‘Captain EO’ returns to Epcot
Dewayne Bevil, Featured, News — By Dewayne Bevil on June 30, 2010 at 10:54 am

The movie poster for 'Captain EO' (Walt Disney Co.)

Walt Disney World continues its wave of nostalgia with the rebirth of Captain EO — a 3-D sci-fi movie featuring Michael Jackson and a crew of fuzzy space explorers — at Epcot.

The film, which ran at the theme park from 1986 to 1994, returns July 2 for a limited run, although Disney has not announced when it will stop the show. EO fans will see a familiar production through their special glasses.

“It’s a 3-D film, 70 mm, two projectors. We are showing it the same way we showed in 1986,” says Joe Tankersley, show producer.

“It’s also one of the first ‘4-D’ films, one of the first 3-D films with in-theater effects — wind, water and lighting,” he says. “That’s part of what makes it so special.”

(Check out photos of the movie at Epcot)

EO, with its bag of in-your-face tricks, led the way for other productions such as MuppetVision 3-D at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and It’s Tough to Be a Bug at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The new/old film will run in its original home at Epcot’s Imagination Pavilion and temporarily replace the 3-D production that took the place of EO in the ’90s, Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

This year, Disney already has presented a revival — with tweaks — of a fan favorite, the Main Street Electrical Parade at Magic Kingdom. It’s also toyed a bit with Toy Story Mania and Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios. The new bits for Captain EO are mainly “4-D” effect involving the 570-seat theater’s floor, which was altered when Honey moved in.

Disney World guests will start seeing EO a little more than a year after Jackson’s unexpected death. The building did not require major modifications, mostly cosmetic painting and redecorating to get away from the Imagination Institute theming in the pre-show area.

“We had to take down all the wall graphics and re-do the wall graphics with EO,” says Debbie Petersen, art director.

“We took out the carpet because it had Imagination logos,” she says. “We just took all that out and brought in a really fun kind of retro, colorful carpet.”

During the planning for the EO relaunch, someone from the maintenance team mentioned that the show’s original marquees were still on Disney World property. After the last EO show in ‘94, maintenance had unbolted the signs and mounted them high on a wall in the maintenance area.

“I remember thinking they would be in some dusty, dirty closet with dust bunnies all over it,” Petersen says. “They were in pristine condition.”

They’re a physical tie to the past.

“We were excited to have that little piece of history,” she says. “It’s something that none of the other EO shows have.”

EO started playing again at Disneyland in February and is also playing at Disney parks in Tokyo and Paris.

Petersen worked at Epcot when EO replaced an original park show, Magical Journeys.

“When EO came, it was such a jump in technology,” she says. “And just the experience with the music and everything tied together, it was so fun.”

Disney expects that fun to return with the 17-minute film, which also stars Anjelica Huston as “the Supreme Leader.”

“It’s a classic show, it’s really timeless. The humor still works,” Tankersley says. “I think you are going to see a lot of people quoting those lines again.”

Re-opening day

Epcot will open at 8:30 a.m. Friday for guests who want to see EO. (The park typically opens at 9.) There will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony, said Dan Cockerell, vice president for Epcot, and the event will include recognition of a couple of cast members who were working at EO when it closed back in ‘94 and are back in 2010.

Our Guide to ‘Captain EO’

It has been 16 years since Captain EO played at Epcot. We don’t want to print spoilers, but here are a few elements of the production that might spark memories.

– The ship is manned by a “ragtag band led by the infamous Captain EO.” That’s Michael Jackson, backed by a bunch of furry creatures that have a bad — yet unspecified — combat record. The most comic of the comic relief is a character named Hooter, who keeps foiling things, which makes the captain giggle. Hooter also plays keyboard.

– Future Academy Award winner Anjelica Huston, playing the Supreme Leader, is almost unrecognizable and evil. She sentences our hero to 100 years of torture. (Other characters are to be turned into trash cans.)

– Jackson looks young — he turned 28 the year EO debuted — and, from certain angles, looks like he could be, oh, Janet Jackson’s brother.

– Michael’s wardrobe is mostly a white, leather space-captain number, but he accessorizes with a cape.

– The two songs (“We Are Here to Change the World” and “Another Part of Me”) lead to dance numbers (moonwalk alert), and the captain obtains the power to turn enemy guards into (very ’80s) dancers.

– The film was pricy to make — upwards of $30 million — but it had pedigree with director Francis Ford Copolla and executive producer George Lucas in the credits.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/06/whats-old-is-new-again-as-captain-eo-returns-to-epcot/

Back