Better overall Career Janet Jackson or Madonna?

Tina is pop rock, just like Pat Benetar. I watched MTV at the time and Tina was heavily played. She released 'Private Dancer' in 1984 which was played mainly on pop radio, not as much on R&B. Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits produced some of the album. MTV even showed Tina's concert from her tour for the album. She did duets with Rod Stewart and Bryan Adams, which are not R&B. Donna put out her 'She Works Hard For The Money' album in 1983 and that was a mainstream hit also, hence the heavy airplay for her. Grace Jones was played because she was an underground new wavish act. She even did a song with the Duran Duran offshoot group Arcadia.

Are you slow? Janet is one of the primary people along with MJ and Madonna to bring MTV major success. No one was checking for Tina or Donna or whoever you're insisting that was played a lot on MTV.

Dream on! :smilerolleyes: The Goddess is still doing her thing

:lol:

Okay! Janet was already done with her career in 2001 with the success of All For You and later the tour. Right now she's working on getting her Oscar. :punk:

Are you slow? Janet is one of the primary people along with MJ and Madonna to bring MTV major success. No one was checking for Tina or Donna or whoever you're insisting that was played a lot on MTV.
If you say so. You must have read that. MTV had success because of Journey, Michael Jackson, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, The Police, Madonna, Van Halen, Duran Duran, Human League, Bruce Sprinsteen, Phil Collins, Culture Club, Prince, Tina Turner, etc. Which was way before Control came out. I'm not going to respond anymore as I don't want to participate in negative vibes, so believe what you want. It's not that serious.

that's the same thing a youtube star said beyonce and alicia keys did to janet's career, idiot

Ikr.

If it was Janet, they get all butthurt over it... :rolleyes:

Anyways, haven't we steered from the topic too much?

It's supposed to be about Janet vs. Madge's overall career.

Career-wise, Madonna has always been the bigger star. However, I think they both are almost equal to each other, talent-wise. Janet is a bit more musically inclined after all she grew up in a music family. While Madonna is a GREAT promoter of herself in the media.

And that's exactly the same thing people say Beyonce did to Janet's lmao...

LOL.....by the time Beyonce came along, it's not like Janet hadn't already sold 130+ million records. :doh: :hysterical: Jody was just starting out. Then Janet sat her right down. :lol:

LOL.....by the time Beyonce came along, it's not like Janet hadn't already sold 130+ million records. :doh: :hysterical: Jody was just starting out. Then Janet sat her right down. :lol:

:lol: That makes sense cause I've never heard of this Jody girl before.

BTW, Did Janet really sold that much? :shock: Cool.. :cool:

Janet's sales will always remain a mystery lol...but she has sold somewhere between 140-150 million records worldwide.

Have you heard of Jeffrey Daniels? Jody Watley was in a group with him and Howard Hewitt called Shalamar which started in the late 1970s. Howard got the big head and wanted to do all of the singing when they had been sharing leads, so Jody & Jeffrey quit. Jody started a solo career around 1986. She initially was singing the same kinda dance pop like Madonna, Janet, Sheena Easton, The Jets, & Lisa Lisa. But she had battled with her record company MCA because she didn't want to do that anymore and wanted to record more mature jazzy type songs, so like Prince, Tori Amos, & George Michael, the company stopped promoting her stuff.

Lmao NO Janet has not really sold that much. Her own press releases state her sales are at 100 mill world wide.

#Fail.

Janet's press release states she sold 100 million ALBUMS. She had sold 130+ million RECORDS.

You sound mad.
11lu3wj.jpg

why some bring here Michael here? i mean?? whats the point??? we are talking about women here...

Not only Janet has influence on black women but also white women, remember Britney Spears, is like a white Janet... talentless yes, but its like a white version of Janet Jackson.

Have you heard of Jeffrey Daniels? Jody Watley was in a group with him and Howard Hewitt called Shalamar which started in the late 1970s. Howard got the big head and wanted to do all of the singing when they had been sharing leads, so Jody & Jeffrey quit. Jody started a solo career around 1986. She initially was singing the same kinda dance pop like Madonna, Janet, Sheena Easton, The Jets, & Lisa Lisa. But she had battled with her record company MCA because she didn't want to do that anymore and wanted to record more mature jazzy type songs, so like Prince, Tori Amos, & George Michael, the company stopped promoting her stuff.

Thanks man... :)

Glad to know... I'll check her stuff out...

BTW, it's kinda sad that the record label has so much power over artists. It's hard to be creative when they pull you in the directions that they want your career to go to.

And that's exactly the same thing people say Beyonce did to Janet's lmao...

I'm convinced you're that billyworld person

:lmao: :rofl: :rofl:

A pity. You have two accounts just like poor little twinklee

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

*screams*

lmao yes. I'm very mad lol...i bet you pulled that number out your ass. Why would her press releses leave out her singles...BS!

You wish, hun :)

Janet has sold more than 130 million records worldwide.

Press releases usually mention only album sales.

You wish, hun :)

Janet has sold more than 130 million records worldwide.

Press releases usually mention only album sales.
Hitsville: Janet Jackson gets overlooked sometimes in the Michael hoopla, but she is a top-tier star in her own right, isn’t she? What’s your best estimation of her worldwide sales and her ranking worldwide?

Janet sold 45 million singles and 65 million albums, which ranks her among the top 60 best selling acts ever, quite an achievement already, definitely a star on her own. She is in par with the likes Nirvana, Journey, and the Who in terms of album sales and sold many more singles than them.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80506

lol and NO I only have one account lmao, THIS one!

^

You got her good, girl... :rofl:

BTW, I sent you a friend request. :) Hopefully, you'll add me back. ^_^

I'm convinced you're that billyworld person

:lmao: :rofl: :rofl:

A pity. You have two accounts just like poor little twinklee

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

*screams*
lol so it's ok for people to claim that JJ "stopped Jody (or whatever her name is) career just by releasing "Control", lol but I can't point out the fact that it's that same kind of mentality that people use to claim Beyonce did the same to JJ??? lmao!

Last edited:
Hitsville: Janet Jackson gets overlooked sometimes in the Michael hoopla, but she is a top-tier star in her own right, isn’t she? What’s your best estimation of her worldwide sales and her ranking worldwide?

Janet sold 45 million singles and 65 million albums, which ranks her among the top 60 best selling acts ever, quite an achievement already, definitely a star on her own. She is in par with the likes Nirvana, Journey, and the Who in terms of album sales and sold many more singles than them.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80506

lol and NO I only have one account lmao, THIS one!

Janet's label says 100 million+ albums worldwide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_cGu15xkxs

http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-21-2008/0004818328&EDATE=

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/umusic/31098/

http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/...08/0004818328&EDATE=WED+May+21+2008,+08:00+AM

And plz don't even TRY to dispute claims made by her official record label.

What Universal says >>>>> what anyone else says

lol so what I posted is essential RIGHT lmao..."100+" equals 45 +65 which is ***drum roll please*** 110 mill...yea sounds about right.

But remember that the record labels often bump up the sales of their artist to hype them up. Don't worry, they did the same with Mike, the Beatles, Madonna and Elvis. Check ukmix, most users there are very knowledgeable about the 'right' number of an artists' overall sales.

lol so what I posted is essential RIGHT lmao..."100+" equals 45 +65 which is ***drum roll please*** 110 mill...yea sounds about right.

45+65= 110 million records. But the press release says 100 million albums alone. Singles not included. If you want me to, I can use this source from Viacom, stating 100 million albums plus 70 million singles:

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/simon_schuster/release?id=19479

So uniformed.

But I don't even believe that. So as stated, 100 million albums + ~50 million singles.

And by the way...I would believe billboard (which is where those questions were being asked to and answered from) before I believe ANYBODY's record lable...lmao please, these are the same record lables that say elvis and the beatles sold over a billion records ww and that MJ has sold 750mill records ww. It's their JOB to hype up their artist. Surely you know that already.

And plz don't even TRY to dispute claims made by her official record label.

What Universal says >>>>> what anyone else says
I don't know how much Janet has sold, but record company numbers mean nothing, unless you really believe RCA's claim that Elvis Presley sold over a billion, lol. Prince has said he doesn't know how many records he has sold, only what Warner Brothers told him.

Back