Better overall Career Janet Jackson or Madonna?

Right, thats what I meant. I meant what songs has she written that are considered CLASSIC. Even though she may have written some songs they are not held as classics and trust me lol I will be the first to say Janet is a mediocre songwriter. But alot of the songs she wrote herself such as Black Cat and numerous songs from Rhythm Nation and Control have been better than anything Madonna has written or released.

Janet isn't a mediocre writer. :mello:

To answer the second question, Janet has had the bigger impact. She has been influential in Pop, R&B, Dance, and to a lesser degree, hip-hop. She is the template for the female pop star of today, and has built the careers of all of today's pop stars. You need to be able to sing, dance, and act. She crosses cultures, I don't think Madonna is really respected in the African-Black-etc culture...definitely not in R&B. She has broken more doors for black women and women in general in music. Whenever a female wants to dance, she will take lessons from Janet. Artists are still trying to re-create her albums (Jay-Z said "Good Girl Gone Bad" was Rihanna's "Control"), and are trying to use her formulas for hits (i.e. releasing multiple singles and multi format singles).

Janet was NOT the first to do that MJ was, so you could say HE set the template and both Madonna and Janet followed suite. I know this thread has nothing to do with MJ so I'll not mention him a again, but I just had to say something because I think you were giving Janet way tooo much credit.

What works for a male, wont work for a female. Janet is the template for today's pop star. 99% of the females are modeled after Janet....esp the mainstream R&B girls like Beyonce, Ciara, Aaliyah, Alicia Keys, etc.

Janet was NOT the first to do that MJ was, so you could say HE set the template and both Madonna and Janet followed suite. I know this thread has nothing to do with MJ so I'll not mention him a again, but I just had to say something because I think you were giving Janet way tooo much credit.

Wow. You're very insecure. Always trying to say MJ did it first when he wasn't even a part of the discussion. Calm down. Thanks

I Agree BUT between Madonna and Janet, Janet has had the most impact in pop. More so in dance/ performances than in music.

Wow. You're very insecure. Always trying to say MJ did it first when he wasn't even a part of the discussion. Calm down. Thanks

She exactly is right. Even though the discussion is not about MJ he did break that barrier for an artist like Janet and there were FEMALE artists BEFORE Janet that set that path for her. So to say she started that is not accurate BUT between Madonna and Janet yes, Janet has had the most impact but doesnt nessarily mean she originated anything like an artist like Michael did.

She exactly is right. Even though the discussion is not about MJ he did break that barrier for an artist like Janet and there were FEMALE artists BEFORE Janet that set that path for her. So to say she started that is not accurate BUT between Madonna and Janet yes, Janet has had the most impact but doesnt nessarily mean she originated anything like an artist like Michael did.

Eh no. Like what OnOurWay said what works for a male, won't work for a female. Before there were no black females on MTV until Janet and Whitney came along. So really Janet broke down barriers for black female artists. She also has many "firsts" as a black female. Janet gave hope to black females like Beyonce and others that they can achieve commercial success. Toni Braxton actually said this in one of her interviews from back in the 90's.

What works for a male, wont work for a female. Janet is the template for today's pop star. 99% of the females are modeled after Janet....esp the mainstream R&B girls like Beyonce, Ciara, Aaliyah, Alicia Keys, etc.
guess it depends on which genre u are talking about as others would say the same about madonna and britney for example. whitney and janet were the teachers/heros (if thats the right word) for the young blcak R&B singers that are out there now and have come out over the last 5-10 years. b4 that there wasnt a huge amount of black female mainstream artists.

Eh no. Like what OnOurWay said what works for a male, won't work for a female. Before there were no black females on MTV until Janet and Whitney came along. So really Janet broke down barriers for black female artists. She also has many "firsts" as a black female. Janet gave hope to black females like Beyonce and others that they can achieve commercial success. Toni Braxton actually said this in one of her interviews from back in the 90's.

Maybe as far as the POP scene goes but there were African American women who made it so Janet could make it in the industry and even Whitney. And elusive brought up a good point, she only did that for artists in her genre not artists overall...because the same can be applied to Madonna.

Tina Turner & Donna Summer was on MTV before both of them and so was Jody Watley, because a few Shalamar videos were shown. I also remember the Mary Jane Girls (although a multi-race group) were on there too.

Last edited:
guess it depends on which genre u are talking about as others would say the same about madonna and britney for example. whitney and janet were the teachers/heros (if thats the right word) for the young blcak R&B singers that are out there now and have come out over the last 5-10 years. b4 that there wasnt a huge amount of black female mainstream artists.

Janet and Nippy were indeed pioneers. That's why they are more respected in music than say Mariah and Celine. They broke barriers for women, esp Black women. I think Whitney is the first Black performer allowed to perform in South Africa. Janet broke barriers in Japan with her RN1814 Tour. They were the first Black female pop stars to make it big onto MTV and their videos kept BET afloat in their beginning stages.

Tina Turner & Donna Summer was on MTV before both of them and so was Jody Watley, because a few Shalamar videos were shown. I also remember the Mary Jane Girls (although a multi-race group) were on there too.

Thanks... :cool:

I was gonna mention Tina Turner and Donna Summer too.

I think they are also very influential to the young black female artists out right now.

Also, babykinsilk05, I agree with you. You only spoke the truth. Jan's career was modeled after Michael. After that, she tried very hard to break away from that image... but it's hard when your brother is larger than life. (shrug)

Who cares? The females out now molded their careers after Janet's. Geez, some of you go out of your way to discredit Janet and it's sad. Oh, Jody Watley started copying Janet once Control blew up. Janet and Whitney were among the first to have their videos on rotation. Are you one of those people that believe MJ was the first black male on MTV? AHA! He was just the first to have it on excessive rotation the same goes for Janet too.

And sadly Janet put an end to Jody's career. :( :lol:

Donna Summer broke barriers in the 70s as one of the biggest crossover acts opening the door for many black acts.

Who cares? The females out now molded their careers after Janet's. Geez, some of you go out of your way to discredit Janet and it's sad. Oh, Jody Watley started copying Janet once Control blew up. Janet and Whitney were among the first to have their videos on rotation. Are you one of those people that believe MJ was the first black male on MTV? AHA! He was just the first to have it on excessive rotation the same goes for Janet too.
You stated that Whitney & Janet were on there 1st and that is not accurate. Jon Butcher was on MTV before Michael, but he fit their format as he was a rock act and not a R&B act like Mike. My comment has nothing to do with anybody's influence, but who was on there 1st. I don't listen to todays music, so who influenced who doesn't interest me.

You stated that Whitney & Janet were on there 1st and that is not accurate. Jon Butcher was on MTV before Michael, but he fit their format as he was a rock act and not a R&B act like Mike. My comment has nothing to do with anybody's influence, but who was on there 1st. I don't listen to todays music, so who influenced who doesn't interest me.

Where did I say they were the first? This is what I said:

Before there were no black females on MTV until Janet and Whitney came along. So really Janet broke down barriers for black female artists

They hardly played black females on MTV unless you consider playing their music videos past midnight anything.

Prince was on MTV before MJ and a few other black males. Earth, Wind and Fire were played occasionally.

Donna Summer broke barriers in the 70s as one of the biggest crossover acts opening the door for many black acts.

Who is Jody? and why is it funny? -_-

She sure did! and Paula tried in the 90's :rofl:

:yes:

Where did I say they were the first? This is what I said:

They hardly played black females on MTV unless you consider playing their music videos past midnight anything.

Prince was on MTV before MJ and a few other black males. Earth, Wind and Fire were played occasionally.
Both Tina & Donna (and Grace Jones on a lesser extent) were on rotation before Whitney & Janet. They're black. Janet was just on Video Soul on BET until Control came out and Whitney didn't come out until 1985. Before that Whitney was just a backup singer and an actress on Gimmie A Break.

Both Tina & Donna (and Grace Jones on a lesser extent) were on rotation before Whitney & Janet. They're black. Janet was just on Video Soul on BET until Control came out and Whitney didn't come out until 1985. Before that Whitney was just a backup singer and an actress on Gimmie A Break.

Eh no. If they were on "rotation" it was most likely past midnight. Janet was on MTV AFTER Control because that was when she broke out on the scene and crossed over. Whitney was on excessive rotation with Whitney. "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" was on excessive rotation on MTV. Tina Turner and Donna Summers were hardly considered Pop artists like Janet and Whitney are.

Eh no. If they were on "rotation" it was most likely past midnight. Janet was on MTV AFTER Control because that was when she broke out on the scene and crossed over. Whitney was on excessive rotation with Whitney. "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" was on excessive rotation on MTV. Tina Turner and Donna Summers were hardly considered Pop artists like Janet and Whitney are.

Tina is pop rock, just like Pat Benetar. I watched MTV at the time and Tina was heavily played. She released 'Private Dancer' in 1984 which was played mainly on pop radio, not as much on R&B. Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits produced some of the album. MTV even showed Tina's concert from her tour for the album. She did duets with Rod Stewart and Bryan Adams, which are not R&B. Donna put out her 'She Works Hard For The Money' album in 1983 and that was a mainstream hit also, hence the heavy airplay for her. Grace Jones was played because she was an underground new wavish act. She even did a song with the Duran Duran offshoot group Arcadia.

that's the same thing a youtube star said beyonce and alicia keys did to janet's career, idiot

Were Tina and Donna pop stars in the 80s?
Tina Turner started out in the early 1960s with Ike Turner & the Ikettes. She left Ike around 1975, but her career died. She made a comeback in late 1983 and in 1984 had bigger success than she did with Ike and that is why she is still draws audiences today. Donna Summer was most popular in the 1970s, but she was popular until around 1985. Donna always had popularity on the mainstream Top 40 and was never considered just an "R&B" act.

Last edited:
Tina Turner started out in the early 1960s with Ike Turner & the Ikettes. She left Ike around 1975, but her career died. She made a comeback in late 1983 and in 1984 had bigger success than she did with Ike and that is why she is still draws audiences today. Donna Summer was most popular in the 1970s, but she was popular until around 1985. Donna was always had popularity on the mainstream Top 40 and was never considered just an "R&B" act.

That question required a simple yes or no. =\

Back