A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Product details from Amazon UK:

Format: Colour, DVD-Video, PAL
Language: English
Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 - 1.33:1
Number of discs: 1
Classification: Exempt
Studio: Sony Legacy
DVD Release Date: 17 Sep 2012
Run Time: 135 minutes
s
I remember not so long ago when there was about 100 days and u were posting alot in the thread lol. 20 something days left now. Not long. :)

I never understand well about PAL, in Europe where they use it, they see the videos and DVDs with a little more sound speed?

Like this video from Moonwalker PAL, the sound and the Michael's voice is a little bit faster, as a consequence you can notice the voice more sharp

See the noticeable difference:

PAL

NTSC

I have PAL Moonwalker and I don't remember it to be that fast

I've got the PAL moonwalker as well. Mine isn't that fast either, it may be faster but it's certainly not noticeable or that fast.

I have to wait until September 17th, but some people get it on the 14th... :beee:

There used to be a video online showing two video screens of Man in the Mirror (from moonwalker) playing simultaneously; one was the NTSC version, one was the PAL version (the audio was synched to the NTSC version). The PAL version played much faster and ended much quicker.

There used to be a video online showing two video screens of Man in the Mirror (from moonwalker) playing simultaneously; one was the NTSC version, one was the PAL version (the audio was synched to the NTSC version). The PAL version played much faster and ended much quicker.

Because they rendered the NTSC version to PAL, I think.

22 days left!!!!
tumblr_m8izqwVaJV1qccoru.gif

I never understand well about PAL, in Europe where they use it, they see the videos and DVDs with a little more sound speed?

Like this video from Moonwalker PAL, the sound and the Michael's voice is a little bit faster, as a consequence you can notice the voice more sharp

See the noticeable difference:

PAL

NTSC

I've always find the PAL version a little annoying because of we all know the pace is slightly fast and the pitch is high. I remember wanting to see Moonwalker on YouTube and all I find was a PAL version and couldn't find the NTSC version. So a few years later I go the movie on the unofficial DVD which is actually NTSC. I was so happy to get that movie.

Umatic tapes I believe look like good quality VHS. There's no way to release a BR from that. BR can be released only from film reels (which are missing deep down somewhere in some basement perhaps lol).

Film reels then either way

What a long wait this has been...and continues to be!
Even though I have already pre-ordered my Bad25 suitcase thing, That will not stop me from downloading Wembley '88 on September 14th! :beach:

Also, I wonder just how many of Ashtanga's Seventeen Thousand, Five-Hundred and Seventy Five posts have been redundant .Gif images!? lol

Can't believe we have not seen screenshots, trailers, teasers or anything yet!!??

Come on SONY and Estate. - Give us something to get exited about while we wait!!!

I want a trailer with just the silver shirt performances, mostly APOM :D

This is a YouTube video of a Runaways concert from 1977, available for viewing in 240p, 360p, 480p, and 720p hi-def. As you can see, the contrast seems to be a little high and the sound isn't spectacular. But visually, the live performance is decent quality -- actually, considering it's a direct rip from a VHS tape, it's VERY GOOD quality. Of course, from a distance it's a little blurry, but overall it's still good. Considering the Estate is using a company who has worked with NASA on various occasions, the video will be restored to even better quality.

We need not give up hope yet, just because we haven't gotten a trailer.

This is a YouTube video of a Runaways concert from 1977, available for viewing in 240p, 360p, 480p, and 720p hi-def. As you can see, the contrast seems to be a little high and the sound isn't spectacular. But visually, the live performance is decent quality -- actually, considering it's a direct rip from a VHS tape, it's VERY GOOD quality. Of course, from a distance it's a little blurry, but overall it's still good. Considering the Estate is using a company who has worked with NASA on various occasions, the video will be restored to even better quality.

The available quality options in YouTube mean nothing really. Even if YouTube has encoded the video at 720p, the video quality is not 720p - VHS never had that level of detail when it was new so it certainly doesn't have it now. A VHS rip will never be high def no matter how you encode it, even if you chose 1080!
Did the estate confirm that those people who did the NASA videos are doing BAD? I don't think so. Even if they were, they can't add detail where it never existed. There is no reason to think BAD will be much better than this really.

This looks rather crappy LQ to my standarts..

vlcsnap2012082413h12m03.png

vlcsnap2012082413h12m10.png

vlcsnap2012082413h12m18.png

Last edited:
Did the estate confirm that those people who did the NASA videos are doing BAD? I don't think so.

"We ultimately chose a lab that has developed its own proprietary technology for doing this kind of work (including restoration for NASA of VHS footage) in order to make the visual experience the best it can be under the circumstances."

It will look like this at least but I think it will look better:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back