3 Sep08: .. Michael is so "in" they are making up stories just so they can keep talking about him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
3 Sep08: .. Michael is so "in" they are making up stories just so they can keep talking about him...

MJ News in Review 3 Sep08
The Jacksons’
“Destiny” (1978) and “Triumph” (1980) Expanded Editions (Legacy)
by Alonzo Weston
Wednesday, September 3, 2008

TITLE: The Jacksons’ “Destiny” (1978) and “Triumph” (1980) Expanded Editions (Legacy)

ARTISTS: The Jacksons

STARS: 3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

SOUNDS LIKE: Disco era Motown soul pop.

Pop star Michael Jackson just turned 50 years old. I know that sounds hard to believe especially since Peter Pan is never supposed to get old.

But I was amazed while listening to “Destiny,” which was first released 30 years ago and “Triumph,” released a couple of years later in 1980, how both still sound fresh today. Despite the disco leanings of both recordings it shows how timeless is both Michael Jackson and the music of the Jacksons.

Both releases were self-produced and largely self-written which marked a new beginning for the Motown bred pre-teen hearthrobs. It also shows their maturity as artists, moving away from soul bubble gum to more adult material.
“Three decades after its initial release,” wrote Ernest Hardy in the liner notes for the Destiny expanded edition due in music stores this month, “It’s still fresher - more potent, more substantive within its sturdy R&B/pop structure - than most of what you hear playing on the radio or streaming on the net today.”

Both extended editions of Destiny and Triumph come with multiple bonus tracks. Rare 12 inch disco mixes of “Blame it on the Boogie” and “Shake your Body Down” extend the original versions beyond their usual 3 minute configurations. There’s also a seven minute instrumental version of the bass heavy disco stomp “Walk Right Now.”

Hearing “This Place Hotel” now reminds me again of how jazzy and well-produce the song was in its initial release. It serves as a precursor to Michael’s solo career. So does “Time Wait for No One” which is a weepy Michael ballad in the “Human Nature” vein.

Now we have the luxury of hindsight in knowing what tragedies and scandals became of Michael Jackson and his talented siblings. But you realize, once you hear them anew again, that even with what we know now, it does little to negate the true talent of a remarkable family.

http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2008/sep/03/jacksons/

MENTIONINGS

[SIZE=-2]NEWS.com.au[/SIZE]

Michael Jackson's dating Pamela Anderson
[SIZE=-1]NDTV.com, India - 8 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pop legend Michael Jackson has been on a string of dates with Hollywood actress Pamela Anderson and the two have been secretly meeting in Malibu. ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Are Jackson and Pammie dating? [SIZE=-1]Times of India[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Is Pamela Anderson dating Michael Jackson? [SIZE=-1]WELT ONLINE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Is Michael Jackson Dating Pammy? [SIZE=-1]MTV UK[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]NME.com - The Inquisitr[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 77 news articles »[/SIZE]

Mother spends £8000 on looking like Michael Jackson – Tabloid Hell
[SIZE=-1]NME.com, UK - 5 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Mikki Jay, a mother of three from St Helens, has spent £8000 on resembling her hero, Michael Jackson. Jay has had her nose, chin and cheeks remodelled to ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Michael Jackson Fan Spends Thousands To Look Like Her Idol [SIZE=-1]AngryApe[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 2 news articles »[/SIZE]

Michael Jackson 'Moonwalk' in Chester causes a stir
[SIZE=-1]Chester Evening Leader, UK - 13 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Along with colleague Jayme Edwards, who was holding balloons and a sign saying "Happy Birthday Michael," the mission was to dance from The Frog pub on ...[/SIZE]

Sharon Owens: Beware cash-cow kids turning into reclusive adults ...
[SIZE=-1]Belfast Telegraph, United Kingdom - 7 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Michael Jackson, now 50, says his father beat him for not singing well as a child. You know, it struck me this week just how many of our favourite ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Gigwise[/SIZE]

Amy Winehouse, My Chemical Romance, Michael Jackson: When Gigs Go Bad!
[SIZE=-1]Gigwise, UK - 23 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]But disastrous gigs aren't just a new phenomenon, the Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson and the Stone Roses have all suffered bizarre on stage incidents. ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]MTV UK[/SIZE]

*****, Bjork and Aha Lead Greatest Video Vote
[SIZE=-1]MTV UK, UK - 6 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]As the number of votes for MTV’s coveted Greatest Video Ever approach, like, a billion, Bjork, Aha and Michael Jackson are among the front-runners. ...[/SIZE]

Day 146: MJ THE BUSINESS MAN............. what the media won't show

johnta_austin_25_b.jpg
Hitmaking Songwriter Johnta Austin Inks New Publishing DealBy Njai Joszor
Posted on 08/25/08

Known for penning songs for the likes of Mary J. Blige and Mariah Carey, Johnta Austin is no stranger to producing hits. According to recent reports the songwriter inked a new publishing deal last week.

After spending 13 years with Chrysalis Music Publishing, where Johnta Austin signed at the age of 15 and penned the hits "Be Without You" and "We Belong Together" the singer/songwriter parted ways to sign an agreement with Sony/ATV last week.

According to Billboard, Austin's new long-term, worldwide publishing deal will cover his future work and becomes fully effective in October.

"Topline writers like Johnta don't come along a lot anymore," says Jody Gerson, co-president of Sony/ATV. "Whereas today you can have five or six people writing a hit song, he can write a hit song on his own. Having worked with Mariah Carey and Mary J. Blige, among others, he's looking to branch out and do other things, including film and TV. And we want to do those with him."

During his career, Austin has co-written seven top 20 hits. Those include Carey's "We Belong Together" and Blige's "Be Without You." Both songs earned Austin a Grammy for best R&B song. Named ASCAP's pop songwriter of the year in 2007, Austin has written for such artists as Usher, Leona Lewis and Chris Brown.

"I'm definitely motivated about expanding into uncharted waters," says Austin. "Whether it's a TV theme, a song for a major movie or a country song for Kenny Chesney, I want to be a part of it."

Austin joins a Sony/ATV urban roster that includes Akon, Rick Ross, The Game, Flo Rida and Midi Mafia.

http://www.singersroom.com/news/entertainment-story-2194.asp

Fans Decide "Next GAC Star" Outcome
[SIZE=-1]Great American Country, TN - Aug 25, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]After that elimination, the remaining four contestants will perform a SONY ATV cover song. Viewers will have one final chance to weigh in on who they ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Ottawa Citizen[/SIZE]

Music companies in talks to buy show tunes catalog: sources
[SIZE=-1]Reuters - 21 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]EMI Music Publishing, Sony Corp's Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Vivendi's Universal Music Publishing and Warner/Chappell Music Publishing are all looking over ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rodgers and Hammerstein singing for a sale? [SIZE=-1]The Daily Deal (subscription)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rodgers & Hammerstein show tunes catalog for sale [SIZE=-1]Reuters[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 48 news articles »[/SIZE]

Mike Ashley and other retail tycoons, down that pint in ...
[SIZE=-1]Times Online, UK - 16 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]EMI Music Publishing, Sony Corp's Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Vivendi's Universal Music Publishing and Warner/Chappell Music are all looking over the ...[/SIZE]

Mercury Prize Nominees British Sea Power to Play at the Highest ...
[SIZE=-1]Melodika.net, Bulgaria - Aug 28, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The band, who are Sony/ATV Music Publishing signed songwriters and Rough Trade recording artists, hold their inaugural Sing Ye From The Hillside! festival ...[/SIZE]

NORM issues multi-million rand summons
[SIZE=-1]ArtslinkNews, South Africa - Sep 2, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]“It is astonishing that they remain intransigent,” notes Jay Savage, NORM Board member and MD of Sony ATV Music. “Surely as the owners of the copyright in ...[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Re: 3 Sep08: .. Michael is so "in" they are making up stories just so they can keep talking about hi

Thanks Rasta.

I was reading about Sony/ATV's interest in the "Rodgers & Hammerstein" catalog at Billboard this morning. What a treasure that catalog is and I can definitely see Michael PUSHING the Sony/ATV team to make that purchase.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Owning the Rogers & Hammerstein catalog is right up MJ's alley. Just like the Beatles, the Rogers & Hammerstein catalog is a huge piece of musical history!

Re: 3 Sep08: .. Michael is so "in" they are making up stories just so they can keep talking about hi

nothing could be truer than your headline, about MJ being so 'in' that they are making up stories about him, just to be talking about him. especially when they use that phrase..'a source said'.

Oh I forgot about the Greatest Video poll, I wonder if we can vote multiple times?
And thanks for the news :yes:

Akon's statement

[...]read the label[...]

just meant that he's with SonyBMG now ;)

Thanks Rasta.

I was reading about Sony/ATV's interest in the "Rodgers & Hammerstein" catalog at Billboard this morning. What a treasure that catalog is and I can definitely see Michael PUSHING the Sony/ATV team to make that purchase.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Owning the Rogers & Hammerstein catalog is right up MJ's alley. Just like the Beatles, the Rogers & Hammerstein catalog is a huge piece of musical history!

it would be excellent, since 'The Sound Of Music' is included in that catalogue and that is an MJ fav..and it comes on tv every year..and it's a fav of mine! lol!

Thanks Rasta.

Definitely! It's gotta be up there with the Holland/Dozier music for Motown. Those 2 are the other Holy Grails of music, imo. If Michael somehow ends up with all 3 someday (meaning, in addition to Sony/ATV), he'd have the music version of the holy trinity. Famous Music was a pretty good catch as well. I hope Sony/ATV can get this one. SOM is a major classic!!:yes:

And now I suddenly have "Favorite Things" and "Oklahoma" going around in my head. :doh: :baby:

Thanks for posting the news. :flowers:

mmm...Michael is SOOO GANGSTA...his company, Bandier,everthing....so damn GANGSTA

:punk: sweeeet!

thanks Big Apple2
UPDATE 1-Rodgers & Hammerstein show tunes catalog for sale

Tue Sep 2, 2008 2:27pm EDT

Market News

(Adds Rodgers & Hammerstein spokesman, details)
NEW YORK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization is in talks to sell its catalog of Broadway musical show tunes and standards to major music companies for between $150 million and $200 million, according to people familiar with the matter.

EMI Music Publishing, Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Vivendi's (VIV.PA: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Universal Music Publishing and Warner Music Group Corp's (WMG.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Warner/Chappell Music Publishing are all looking over the catalog, which includes songs from shows including "The Sound of Music," "The King and I" and "South Pacific."
The catalog includes over 3,000 songs by founder songwriters Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II and nearly 100 other writers like Irving Berlin and Lorenz Hart.

The company is said to be looking for more than $250 million, according to the people who spoke with Reuters on condition of anonymity. But several of these people expressed doubt that music company bids for Rodgers & Hammerstein would go higher than $200 million.
The Rodgers & Hammerstein catalog has also attracted interest from hedge funds and private equity companies, which are attracted to song publishing assets as a source of regular cash flows through song licensing.

Rodgers & Hammerstein spokesman Bert Fink declined to comment on the matter.
Publishing companies can make new revenue from catalog assets by licensing show tunes for use in a range of outlets such as advertising, video and television, in a process known as synchronization.

"This catalog has not been exploited to its full potential," said one person. (Reporting by Yinka Adegoke; Editing by Phil Berlowitz and Gerald E. McCormick)

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN0242396120080902

Last edited:

Thanks Rasta Pasta, you always do a bang-up job with the news thread!!!

Isn't it tomorrow the BMI honoring the jacksons. Have we heard anything about that?

he has always been so hot and in that they make up stories (with a few true ones along the line of course)but then again he is the biggest too

Plain and simple: A Jackson will always bring ratings.

UPDATE 1-Rodgers & Hammerstein show tunes catalog for sale

Tue Sep 2, 2008 2:27pm EDT

Market News

(Adds Rodgers & Hammerstein spokesman, details)
NEW YORK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization is in talks to sell its catalog of Broadway musical show tunes and standards to major music companies for between $150 million and $200 million, according to people familiar with the matter.

EMI Music Publishing, Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Vivendi's (VIV.PA: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Universal Music Publishing and Warner Music Group Corp's (WMG.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Warner/Chappell Music Publishing are all looking over the catalog, which includes songs from shows including "The Sound of Music," "The King and I" and "South Pacific."
interesting, Mike may be interested in these since he's a big fan of R&H. but obviously business sense comes first here, so who knows.

by the way this is the mikki jay they talk about the mother that the article claimes has used about 8000 dollars to look lik mj

outstretched.jpg

Isn't it tomorrow the BMI honoring the jacksons. Have we heard anything about that?

yes it's tomorrow, and we haven't heard anything about it

The Jacksons’
“Destiny” (1978) and “Triumph” (1980)
Woot! I just listened to TRIUMPH and now I'm listening to DESTINY.
RIGHT NOW!!
That's ironic to me. :cheers:

And Mr. Weston is right....it still sounds fresh! :D

Thanks Rasta for all the news.

Mikki Jay, a mother of three from St Helens, has spent £8000 on resembling her hero, Michael Jackson. Jay has had her nose, chin and cheeks remodelled to ...

Very distrubing.

It is possible that MJ just might get the R&H music catalogue. I hope he does.

thanks Rasta for starating the news thread with business info.

I read the Pamela Anderson story today, and how they met at a hotel and had drinks at the bar, yet there is no picture of that? Im sure someone would have gotten a pic! lol

yes, it's probably started after the party

Does that mean that we can't talk about it because a website posted a "denial"?
Is that even an official website? I doubt so.
MJ talked to them and told them he "doesn't drink" (even though everybody knows he does)? I doubt so.

Ohhh,yes!You can bet on it!I don't agree but...

whos the below from cause its kinda tacky and someone should tell them to read the court transcirpts if they think mj doesnt drink lol

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!

The tabloid article about Mr. Jackson dating Pamela Anderson is pure fabrication. As well, Mr. Jackson has told ~MJIB~Co. that he does NOT drink alcohol. Period.Whoever is posting these kind of lies online should have the decency to see it as a violation of MJ's privacy.

Furthermore, we are in serious discussion, globally, over the wrongful posting of sensitive information regarding Michael's associating with Sony/BMG on other forums that should be retractred immediately.

Thank-you.

~MJIB~Co. PRODUCTIONS © in association with MJJCOMMUNITY.COM

Last edited:

Thanks for the news, Rasta, you're always ahead with the music and ratings.

I have been listening to a lot from the Jackson's lately too. It's so refreshing and feel-good. Just my mood at the moment. Last days of summer and beginning of Autumn =)

I wonder if Michael Is gonna show up tomorrow? Because it's tomorrow BMI is, right?
Anyhow, there will deff be some pictures of the Jackson brothers.

Last edited:

Oh k people I just came from the other thread that was closed because of the Pamela Anderson BS and now let's not start it here because this thread will be closed also. On that note STOP discussing it, please. Thank you.

There is evidence that Michael DRANK alchohol, there is no evidence that he STILL drinks. If he is saying that he doesn't drink, well maybe he doesn't anymore. He may have changed his lifestyle or returned to his faith.

Or that statement is made up.
There's no evidence that statement is true, because MJIB is NOT an official website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back