X Factor finalists to release MJ charity single

Ive read they are doing "you are not alone"....they are gonna butcher a classic :(

Its for charity and as much as I hate the X Factor singles I know that MJ would have been 100% behind one of his songs being recorded to raise money for Great Ormond Street.

Totally agree and it will be no1 for sure :)

X Factor in Jackson charity bid

The X Factor finalists are to release a cover of Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone to raise money for sick children, it has been announced.

402C7AB2F9CCC2E73B1D7458ECA59E.jpg

X Factor stars to rework Michael Jackson single for charity

The X Factor finalists are to release a cover of Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone to raise money for sick children, it has been announced.
All 12 remaining acts in the ITV talent show recorded the charity single, which will be sold in aid of London's Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Viewers will see the singers perform the track for the first time during the results show on Sunday November 15, when fans will be able to pre-order it.
The single will go on sale from Monday November 16.
Jackson, who died in June, went to number one with the song in 1995.
Last year's first X Factor charity single - a cover of Mariah Carey's Hero - raised more than £1m for the Help For Heroes charity.
Simon Cowell said: "Following last year's record we made with the X Factor finalists in aid of Help For Heroes last year we decided we wanted to do something annually on the show to help good causes.
"This year we chose to work with Great Ormond Street to help raise funds and awareness for their incredible work. I'm very proud of the single and I really hope it raises an enormous amount of money for people who really need our help."
Fellow judge Louis Walsh, who returned to the panel last night for the first time since the death of Boyzone singer Stephen Gately, added: "Great Ormond Street Hospital does some incredible work and I implore everyone to go out and buy the single to help raise money for such a worthy cause."
Dr Jane Collins, chief executive at Great Ormond Street Hospital, said: "We really hope that the public will buy this recording so we can raise as much money as possible to allow us to continue to help sick children from across the UK get better."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how anyone on here can be the slightest bit negative about this! When my mum told me, I was overjoyed!!

They are honoring Michael and they aren't just doing a tribute performance they are doing it for a GREAT cause, actually raising money for sick children. This was what Michael loved to do - help ill children. So this is an AMAZING idea. Great idea X Factor. Thank you, I'll be buying it.

Also You Are Not Alone is a perfect choice for the charity. Man In The Mirror doesn't go too well and has been done too much... Heal The World, like someone else said is a bit too broad. You Are Not Alone is great.. its telling the ill little children 'You Are Not Alone..'..

Last edited:
Hope we have john + edward doing most of the leads for this. That would be unforgettable.

ewwww.. goodness knows how they'll fit john and edward into it.

there are some good singers..lucie is good.

i'll be watching.

i think this is the best tribute to Michael because its not just people singing a song, its people singing a song to raise money for a charity that is close to Michael's heart.

urgh. so fake using mjs song now

That kinda thing is happening everywhere and its annoying BUT..

Auditionees and finalists have always sung MJ songs on X Factor though.. for example, one contestant - Diana Vicker's I remember sang Man In The Mirror on one show.. and don't forget Britain's Got Talent - Simon's other show was practically all Michael Jackson.. lots of contestants used his songs and the show itself used Michael songs all the time as part of their music.. that was before he died. Remember Simon wanted to get him on X Factor too whilst he would have been here in London.

They must have got permission to record and release the song...and the money is for charity. They were going to do a tribute for him on the show, and what better tribute than doing something that Michael cared about.

That kinda thing is happening everywhere and its annoying BUT..

Auditionees and finalists have always sung MJ songs on X Factor though.. for example, one contestant - Diana Vicker's I remember sang Man In The Mirror on one show.. and don't forget Britain's Got Talent - Simon's other show was practically all Michael Jackson.. lots of contestants used his songs and the show itself used Michael songs all the time as part of their music.. that was before he died. Remember Simon wanted to get him on X Factor too whilst he would have been here in London.

Yeah, I remember that. I saw it on the internet last year and every week I was praying for Michael to be on there. I was hoping that he would be while he was here in London but, well.... you know. I think Simon must be a big fan because he seems to have always liked Michael Jackson acts and of course Michael Jackson week (does anybody know when that is btw?), then there was Suleman Mirza (Signature), Shaheen etc. I don't usually like some of the covers but I always like the fact that they're honoring him.

Fantastic idea, this. I am behind this 100% and will certainly be buying such an awesome plan.

The fact that this is going to a very well recognised charity that I am already a supporter of is highly commendable.

Well i'm not from the UK and hardly ever seen X-factor so I don't know anything about these contestants or their talents. I just hope they'll do MJ justice. Thx for posting.

Yeah, I remember that. I saw it on the internet last year and every week I was praying for Michael to be on there. I was hoping that he would be while he was here in London but, well.... you know. I think Simon must be a big fan because he seems to have always liked Michael Jackson acts and of course Michael Jackson week (does anybody know when that is btw?), then there was Suleman Mirza (Signature), Shaheen etc. I don't usually like some of the covers but I always like the fact that they're honoring him.

Week 2 of last years X Factor. And lets not forget is you're very young and cute Cowell will be making you sing Ben.

That is the spirit of Michael Jackson.

Humanitarian work and charity that's what he loved and did.

A British celebrity website has reported that all 12 X Factor finalists have secretly recorded a Michael Jackson song this week, due to be released in November, which will pay tribute to the King of Pop and raise money for the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, a hospital that Michael himself gave a lot of money to.

http://www.johnnyikon.com/articles/...o-release-Michael-Jackson-charity-single.html
Why not write their own song instead of using someone else's? :mello:

Why not write their own song instead of using someone else's? :mello:

Well then it wouldn't be a tribute to Michael as well would it. They do this every year. It was Mariah last time. They aren't song writers and they don't have a team of song writers on x factor i dont' think. It takes time to write a good original song. Don't think there going to write a whole new song just for this, they don't even write a new song for the winner.

I've been hoping they would do an MJ week this year as a tribute to MJ, but I guess this single is their tribute.

I've been hoping they would do an MJ week this year as a tribute to MJ, but I guess this single is their tribute.

I was too..but Michael Jackson songs are hard to sing for people who aren't Michael Jackson. Perhaps they don't think the contestants are up to singing his songs individually. But maybe, just maaayyybe.. the weekend they sing the charity song will be MJ week?

I was too..but Michael Jackson songs are hard to sing for people who aren't Michael Jackson. Perhaps they don't think the contestants are up to singing his songs individually. But maybe, just maaayyybe.. the weekend they sing the charity song will be MJ week?

Cowell said that the trouble with MJ songs is that they are very hard for people that aren't Michael Jackson to sing and it didn't work out that well. Plus they only did MJ week last year. I hope they have a video of the finalists saying how MJ inspired them or something like that. One of the girls from Miss Frank last week said whilst her parents tried to get her to sing church songs when she was young all she would sing is Michael Jackson songs in their VT.

Yeh.. I hope they have a video clip, or at least mention, about Michael's charity work.

While I know its for a great cause (I myself needed to go to Great Ormond Street hospital as a child), I wish they hadn't chosen an MJ song. As with the past, it will be a hit for a few weeks but soon everyone will either get sick of it, or prefer it over the original. Its a lose-lose situation for MJ :no:

I think this is a g ood thing. the X factor is such a popular show and its important to get the humanitarian efforts that Michael made out there for all to see. Many just think Thriller when they hear Michael's name. This will bring a lot of attantion to what Michael achieved for human kind. I too cannot bear the thought of one of Michael's songs being murdreed by people like John and Edward or actually anyone as no one compares but this isn't about comparisons its about keeping Michael's legacy alive.

While I know its for a great cause (I myself needed to go to Great Ormond Street hospital as a child), I wish they hadn't chosen an MJ song. As with the past, it will be a hit for a few weeks but soon everyone will either get sick of it, or prefer it over the original. Its a lose-lose situation for MJ :no:

Huh..? It will highlight MJs humanitarian work. This IS Michael. I'm overjoyed they chose an MJ song for that reason. People won't get sick of it... they don't get sick of MJs other songs and I can assure you people won't prefer it over the original! the X Factor kids have nothing on Michael.

I think this is a g ood thing. the X factor is such a popular show and its important to get the humanitarian efforts that Michael made out there for all to see. Many just think Thriller when they hear Michael's name. This will bring a lot of attantion to what Michael achieved for human kind. I too cannot bear the thought of one of Michael's songs being murdreed by people like John and Edward or actually anyone as no one compares but this isn't about comparisons its about keeping Michael's legacy alive.

Right!

Back