UpDate in Slash story, Slash Sets the Record Straight About Michael Jackson’s "Black or White

rockstar

Proud Member
i was thinking is this o.k to post this news cause i never saw past weeks i saw MJ news so i just through i past just this one i hope this is o.k :thinking: :D

Slash Sets the Record Straight About Michael Jackson’s "Black or White": "That's Gay, I Would Never Play That"

up-slash.jpg

Slash, in all his leather and top-hat glory, would like to clear something up. No matter what anyone says, he did not play on Michael Jackson’s hit 1991 single “Black or White.” As a keynote speaker in Toronto today (March 11) for this year’s Canadian Music Week, the former Guns N' Roses guitarist said, "I did not play on [that song]," remarking that the guitars were not his sound. "That's gay, I would never play that."

In fact, he only plays on "Give It in to Me," found on the same MJ album, Dangerous, but says that the confusion was made when the music video for "Black or White" featured footage of him in the studio.

“Gay” comment aside, Slash explained how Jackson was sweet, unassuming and inspirational, but that it also made sense that he was "doing downers."

"I think all he wanted was for everybody to like him," he said.

Along with setting the record straight, Slash touched on a pile of different topics in front of hundreds of his biggest Canadian fans crammed into Toronto’s Fairmont Royal York hotel ballroom, where the guitarist was interviewed by CNN anchors John Roberts and Kyra Phillips.

After Slash made some comments on his upcoming self-titled solo album, which includes collaborations with artists such as Fergie, Adam Levine of Maroon 5, Iggy Pop and Ozzy Osbourne, the conversation turned to his past history of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll — a topic explored in depth in his book Slash.

When asked about already being into the hard-partying lifestyle and fighting demons by age 12, Slash responded, "I was having fun? I just had issues with fitting in."

Noting that he's been sober for three-and-a-half years now, Slash mentioned that everyone in Velvet Revolver had their own demons and that Guns N' Roses didn’t have as much to do with drugs as people think; the problems were between Axl and him.

"Are you still amazed you're not dead?" asked Roberts. "Not amazed," said Slash, remarking that it was closer to a "realization."

here is link:http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=44982

hi :waving: everybody here is up date about Slash story

Slash article* -

Slash Rethinks 'Gay' remark -
Now, with benefit of hindsight, Slash tells Spinner he may have been a bit hasty with his colloquial insult.
"I thought about that afterward 'cause really that just came right out... now I think it sounded a bit too derogatory," Slash says. "What I really meant was that the sound of the guitar is very happy. It just doesn't sound like me, anyone would know that. It's not the guitar sound you would expect from me, but somehow I got pigeonholed as the guy who played on that song."
Despite the controversy, many in the online community stand by their original mistaken belief. As of publishing, Slash's Wikipedia page still claims the guitar legend played on Jackson's smash single which topped the singles chart in 19 countries and has been certified platinum.
As Slash made clear, he did play on Michale Jackson's 'Dangerous' album, albeit on another track: 'Give in to Me.' And if he had played on 'Black or White,' he wouldn't be dissing it decades later.

here is link:http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2010/03/15/slash-rethinks-gay-comment-on-michael-jackson-guitar-riff/

hi all here is new update i found today

up-1slash.jpg
spacer.gif
up-up_2news.gif
Slash Continues Backpedalling Over “Gay” Michael Jackson Comment by Voicing Support for Same-Sex Marriage
3/23/2010 By Josiah Hughes

Earlier this month, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash put his foot in his mouth when discussing his alleged Michael Jackson collaboration on the track “Black or White.” Quoted as saying, “That's gay, I would never play that,” the top-hatted chain smoker went on to do damage control by insisting he meant “happy” with his unfortunate word choice. Apparently, that wasn't enough, however, as he is now assuring fans that he supports gay marriage.

Speaking with The Quietus, Slash took a long time to explain why he supports gay marriage and opposes California's controversial Proposition 8 bill. “Now, I've been in Los Angeles for a lot of years and with West Hollywood being very close — and having lived in West Hollywood — I have a lot of gay friends; my wife especially has a lot of gay friends and when that was all going on we just felt that we should be supportive,” he explains. “At this point it's ridiculous that two people, regardless of their sex, can't get married. It just seems stupid.”

Continuing on the topic, Slash explains that he still won't be rallying too hard, saying, “I'm not a politician though, and I don't like to go out in a limb and become a ‘big advocate' kind of a guy; it's just not really my style.”

In fact, he doesn't even really believe in the institution of marriage to begin with, saying, “My wife might fucking shoot me for saying the wrong thing here! Personally — and this isn't the bigger picture, this is just for me personally — I never really believed in the institution of marriage as being necessary... But being told that you can't? I don't think that's right.”

So there you have it, folks: Slash has gay friends and supports gay marriage. In other words, he may not be homophobic, but he still uses slang reserved for white trash junior high kids.

spacer.gif
here is link:http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=45285

Last edited:
Re: Slash Sets the Record Straight About Michael Jackson’s "Black or White": & others news too

"Black or White" is a "gay" song? Really? Are we in Kindergarten where that is supposed to be an insult?

I hope he didn't say that and it's just a bad quote from Press looking to start trouble. If he said that, wow. :doh:
Grow up, dude. Just say "not your cup of tea" or what have you, unless a "cup of tea" is considered "gay" too.

Re: Slash Sets the Record Straight About Michael Jackson’s "Black or White": & others news too

well..it's an assumption on Slash's part about 'downers'...but, it could be understood about the confusion of 'black or white', especially since he made an appearance with MJ doing the song on mtv 10

^^ and at the 30th Anniversary

It was just an expression that is about to be blown way out of proportion.

I like the song,we love the song...obviously he doesn't. I guess he's just more proud of Give into me which he helped compose as opposed to black or white which he didn't compose...setting the record straight is all he's doing...I don't think he meant any disrespect by it, poor choice of words on his part.

Last edited:

So is he saying that on MTV and MSG he was playing air guitar? If so, that's even gay-er.

I think he was just saying he did not play on the original recording. I am sure he was playing live. Hopefully, anyway!:)

^:lol:

i think he was just saying he did not play on the original recording. I am sure he was playing live. hopefully, anyway!:)

lmao!!!

It seemed to me that he was referring to the sound of the guitars or the guitar playing as "gay", rather than the whole song itself. Of course, I'm not too sure myself if he was referring to the guitars or the song.

:yes: when i read it too :lol:

If you look to credits the guitars is played by Bill Bottrell.

Slash is only credited for the "INTRO" meaning the part that the boy plays music and the father asks him to turn it down.

I would second this. I have worked with musicians before and I can say that I heard a lot of hard rock musicians refer to anything pop as "gay", as well as I have heard a lot of pop musicians refer to anything hard rock/metal as "noise".

He is talking about the song being gay, cause it's talking about loving each other not hating each other.

So is he saying that on MTV and MSG he was playing air guitar? If so, that's even gay-er.
Slash said before that when he and MJ performed BoW, it was going to be Slash not playing live. But Slash was uncomfortable miming a song he didn't originally play on, so MJ let him play live.

Slash is an old dried up douche. I have always thought he was an arrogant prick and diddnt have enough talant in his whole body that would equal a hair on Michaels head.

Why dont you stick to your guitar hero games you sell out!

He's talking about the guitar sounds, not the song itself. I don't see Slash as the type of guy to write some kind of funk-country guitar lick like that of BOW. Thats just not his sound. Plus, Bill Boltrell is credited and has discussed the story in various magazines.

I feel like this will get reported as:

"Former Guns and Roses guitarist Slash believed that Michael Jackson was gay and on depressants."

Stupid media

as much as a fan I am of Slash, I do not appreciate Slash saying that he would not allow Michael Jackson to be alone with his kids.

Not the best choice of words, 'gay' is such a childish insult, but I don't think he means any disrespect. The two are completely different and he's just setting the record straight.

Slash is an old dried up douche. I have always thought he was an arrogant prick and diddnt have enough talant in his whole body that would equal a hair on Michaels head.

Why dont you stick to your guitar hero games you sell out!

Thank you, you said it better then I ever could!!

Julia

as much as a fan I am of Slash, I do not appreciate Slash saying that he would not allow Michael Jackson to be alone with his kids.

Did he really say that?? :unsure: I guess I missed it.
I like his music too and I'm very disappointed with his remarks. I'm really sick of it.

Michael was the only person in the showbusiness who never ever said a bad word about any of his fellow artists. Regardless of what they were saying about him. He was always polite and respectful and above them all. They should stop talking and learn from him how to behave.

On maxi Black or white CD single he is credited.... as 'special guitar performance by slash'. It's 3:22 version, without intro.

Sorry Slash, you are credited on a gay song. :(

I don't like it when people use the word "gay" to describe something bad. It's very offensive to gay people (I have some friends who are gay), but Slash is a cool guy and a great guitarist. Maybe he meant "gay" as in "happy" :D Since Black or White is a very happy song to me. However, as a musician, I can see how the song's guitar riff is a little too easy to play and stuff.

I like the song,we love the song...obviously he doesn't. I guess he's just more proud of Give into me which he helped compose as opposed to black or white which he didn't compose...setting the record straight is all he's doing...I don't think he meant any disrespect by it, poor choice of words on his part.

Yeah, well I don't even care if it's blown out of proportion. Slash has this superior vibe at times that's annoying and has expressed other words that fed into the ped nonsense about MJ. So if he's ripped apart, so be it. This is the 21st century, if he hasn't grasp yet making certain comments is offensive, then maybe now he'll get it.

Gay? Any shred of respect I might have had for him as a person goes out the window there...

"Black or White" is a "gay" song? Really? Are we in Kindergarten where that is supposed to be an insult?

I hope he didn't say that and it's just a bad quote from Press looking to start trouble. If he said that, wow. :doh:
Grow up, dude. Just say "not your cup of tea" or what have you, unless a "cup of tea" is considered "gay" too.

I agree with the bold part, Slash sounded like a 6th grader there, he could have said " I didn't play in Black or White because its not my style of Guitar playing" much more simpler and less insulting

I don't like it when people use the word "gay" to describe something bad. It's very offensive to gay people (I have some friends who are gay), but Slash is a cool guy and a great guitarist. Maybe he meant "gay" as in "happy" :D Since Black or White is a very happy song to me. However, as a musician, I can see how the song's guitar riff is a little too easy to play and stuff.

I think it was just a rocker kinda joke,lame joke, but still...He said some very positive things about M too and I don't really take offence if he said a GUITAR RIFF of a MJ's song seems "gay" to him...it's unfortunate for the gay community but I don't like to decontestualize and blow out of proportion a joke...
I have plenty of gay friends-coworkers-family members too and we always joke a lot about things being "gay"....it's like when black pp use "nigga".

Yes he said he gave M the benefit of doubt when he was being accused,innocent until proven guilty,he never accused him of any wrong doing,and defended him later on...just because a parent doesn't like the idea that his kids sleeping with adults as a general rule doesn't make him a douche,just a parent.

exactly, that's just slash, that's how he talks and him and MJ were good friends, he played on the Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible albums along with various gigs over the years.

Back