Timbaland working on MJ tracks?

Re: MJ Estate Statement Re: Justin Bieber Slave To The Rhythm Recording. [Merged]

In 2006 Timbaland said, "Michael lost it after he left Quincy. He coulda got it back. Still could!" So now Timbaland is willing to work on tracks from someone who he thinks "lost it" in the 80s?

Re: MJ Estate Statement Re: Justin Bieber Slave To The Rhythm Recording. [Merged]

Probably. And that remix was pretty damn shitty too. I am a fan of Timbalands work, I love his work with Timerlake and other artists, but I have always thought to myself: What happens with MJ worked with Timbaland? I just don't think his style would fit MJ's music.

Anyway, this is just rumors. But we would all prefer music from producers who actually worked with Michael or worked on the songs they are releasing, don't we?

Probably. And that remix was pretty damn shitty too. I am a fan of Timbalands work, I love his work with Timerlake and other artists, but I have always thought to myself: What happens with MJ worked with Timbaland? I just don't think his style would fit MJ's music.

Anyway, this is just rumors. But we would all prefer music from producers who actually worked with Michael or worked on the songs they are releasing, don't we?

Of course. It is the same as Tricky doing Slave To The Rhythm. MJ never worked with neither of them.

Very interesting re timbaland. Looking more and more likely we'll be getting a new album this year.

Back to STTR, I'm anxiously waiting a statement. Today is Monday and if the estate were planning on making a public statement it would most likely be today. Otherwise I doubt we'll be getting one (which will most likely mean this crap is being released).

Personally I'd be happy if Timberland is working on some MJ music because he knows how to produce a hit.
I know that will go against the grain in the MJ fan community but that's the way it is.
Mj's untouched and uncompleted music will never produce hit records or future commercial success for MJ in their current form. They need to be reworked to make them more appealing to the wider audience.
Some fans don't want commercial appeal. They don't want chart success. They don't want anybody to touch the material left by MJ. BUT the MJ Estate is here to make money and MJ loved chart success. I'm sure he would agree with any new album or single that put him at the top of the charts, especially if they became MASSIVE (i.e. successful for longer than a few weeks).

The incorporation of Bieber onto STTR is questionnable considering there were seemingly complete MJ vocals to work with, but the production of that song had to change to make it hit-worthy. Many fans liked the 2010 version produced by Tricky, and that was almost certainly much different to the version MJ worked on.
Some people only want people who worked with MJ to work on his unreleased material, but that may be a red herring. Sure, MJ may have worked with Teddy Riley and others in the past but they may not finish a song in the way MJ would have liked.

The Estate need to find the right producers and not limit themselves to the ones MJ worked with.
TImberland may have criticised MJ's later music, and many many people would agree with him, but that doesn't mean that he's a bad choice. In fact, it could mean he's a good choice. Many people around the world believe that MJ's best albums were those produced by Quincy. Personally, even though my favourite albums are Dangerous and HISTory, I had wanted MJ to go back to that Off The Wall sound to recapture some of that magic that sucked people in in the late 70s and early 80s. I wanted Vince to be more like OTW, and was hoping the same for any future album. In my head I know that wouldn't have happened because (IMO) MJ lost his way, but if Timberland can produce something that sounds a little like Off The Wall then the album could be huge. It's a very cool sound right now. Even if his material doesn't sound like OTW he has the ability to create something that will be played by radio.

MJ fans need to stop trying to destroy future MJ products IMO.
They claim to be protecting MJ's legacy but MJ loved success. MJ would have loved the idea of posthumous albums selling millions upon millions and being number 1 around the world. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

Personally I'd be happy if Timberland is working on some MJ music because he knows how to produce a hit.
I know that will go against the grain in the MJ fan community but that's the way it is.
Mj's untouched and uncompleted music will never produce hit records or future commercial success for MJ in their current form. They need to be reworked to make them more appealing to the wider audience.
Some fans don't want commercial appeal. They don't want chart success. They don't want anybody to touch the material left by MJ. BUT the MJ Estate is here to make money and MJ loved chart success. I'm sure he would agree with any new album or single that put him at the top of the charts, especially if they became MASSIVE (i.e. successful for longer than a few weeks).
Firstly, yes, the Estate is here to make money, but they are also here to protect MJ's legacy. Yes, Michael set the bar really high for himself and did want to achieve global success. But he reached those incredible heights of success by making great, beautiful, timeless music, not by selling out his artistic integrity to get a #1 hit.

MJ fans need to stop trying to destroy future MJ products IMO.
They claim to be protecting MJ's legacy but MJ loved success. MJ would have loved the idea of posthumous albums selling millions upon millions and being number 1 around the world. To think otherwise is ridiculous.
This comment is just ridiculous and quite frankly insulting. Fans "trying to destroy" future MJ products? Please.

I truly am stunned by this type of attitude, no offense.

Firstly, yes, the Estate is here to make money, but they are also here to protect MJ's legacy. Yes, Michael set the bar really high for himself and did want to achieve global success. But he reached those incredible heights of success by making great, beautiful, timeless music, not by selling out his artistic integrity to get a #1 hit.

This comment is just ridiculous and quite frankly insulting. Fans "trying to destroy" future MJ products? Please.

I truly am stunned by this type of attitude, no offense.

How is using new producers equal to selling his artistic integrity. I think Timbaland did a pretty good job with Justin's music. I'm really OK with him.

I reserve judgement until I hear what Timbeland did with Michael's music. You cannot say he'd definitely suck, but you also cannot tell in advance it will surely be impressive and a massive hit. Both attitude is premature.

I don't have anything against modern mixes if done with quality and respect. The criticism so far was because Michael's music has not been approaced with respect and quality ("Michael" album, now this supposed Bieber "duet" etc.) We do not HAVE to accept and support such projects. (I'm talking as someone who actually bought the "Michael" album, but I won't do this any more with any other subpar project. Enough is enough.)

Michael loved success, but there is a limit to making compromises for success. I guess a "duet" with Bieber could really be a success because of Bieber's massive teen fanbase, but is it worth it? I don't think so. That would be a cheap PR stunt, nothing more. So there are limits.

And just because something is "modern" it doesn't mean it's superior. To be honest most of the music on the charts today suck. You can make Michael's music to fit in with that and perhaps make hits, but on the long term I'm not sure the songs produced to fit current trends will stand the test of time the way Michael's old hits and original productions do. So at the very least please do include the original demo and original production in any future release together with the modern mix!

How is using new producers equal to selling his artistic integrity. I think Timbaland did a pretty good job with Justin's music. I'm really OK with him.
I was referring to this notion that the primary goal of the Estate should be to get MJ a #1 hit, no matter what it takes. Even if that means destroying an unreleased demo and creating an artificial 'duet' with an overhyped teenager who Michael never even met. I absolutely do consider that selling out his artistic integrity.

And just because something is "modern" it doesn't mean it's superior. To be honest most of the music on the charts today suck. You can make Michael's music to fit in with that and perhaps make hits, but on the long term I'm not sure the songs produced to fit current trends will stand the test of time the way Michael's old hits and original productions do. So at the very least please do include the original demo and original production in any future release together with the modern mix!
I agree with your first point. In addition, regardless of whether it is good or not, another reason it will not stand the test of time is simply because it is not authentic. Unfinished work by Michael Jackson will be of historical importance for a long time to come. A remix of an unfinished Michael Jackson demo by Timbaland? Not so much.

And yes, I totally agree with the latter. Although I do not like the strategy myself, I can see why the Estate would want to release a remix from time to time. It is not an uncommon strategy and it can help the general public to pay more attention to Michael's actual work again (though I really think that would make more sense to do 30 years from now, not now when he is still so fresh on everybody's mind). But I think it should never be used as more than a promotional tool to get attention for the original work. Thus, the least they can do is to release the original demo first or in parallel.

Some fans have referred to the 'A Little Less Conversation' remix as a good example of how a remix can be successful (I think I saw you refer to this a few days ago too, respect77). The big difference there is that the original song was out there already for a long time and that everybody knew this. I still am not a huge fan of that approach, but I am not strongly against it either. It is in no way comparable to altering an unreleased demo and giving the impression that that is what the artist was planning to release, which I consider to be disrespectful.

Last edited:
I was underr the impression that the consensus within the estate was to leave material on future releases untouched. Perhaps that was just for Bad 25. Putting everything together, I would guess there is a possibility of a release this year.

OMG! This is a dream coming true!!!! Timbaland is THE producer who knows how Michael Jackson thinks musically. His rhythms are soooooo MJ worthy.

I'm so excited for this if it's true!!

I was underr the impression that the consensus within the estate was to leave material on future releases untouched. Perhaps that was just for Bad 25. Putting everything together, I would guess there is a possibility of a release this year.
I am surprised by this too, if this is true. Perhaps the Estate ascribe the relatively low sales of the Bad 25 package to the fact that material was left untouched? I think that would be a completely incorrect conclusion to draw, but it could explain the possible change of plans.

If it's true, I don't think it'd be a good idea. What he did with Chris Cornell sucked big time.

Why not releasing tracks from people Michael actually worked with and what Timbaland does is not part of Michael's style. I liked what he did with Missy Elliot but that's another genre.

About his comment on Quincy Jones, was he freaking kidding me? He didn't hit albums since BAD, Michael contined to have number one albums and hits even without Q.

timbaland has done a great work on JTs album this year.
and honestly, "take back the night" (JTs latest single), could have been such a great MJ tune.

i rly hope for an album, which finally gets its recognition. invincible or "michael" didnt get much attention (leaving out the "fake" tracks discussion here).
if he has to do final touches to the songs, then hopefully in order to make it releasable for the PUBLIC. thats the only way to gain popularity again for MJs (latest) music.

I did a search on this and found this from July 4. http://www.timbalandthursdays.com/2013/07/timbaland-and-the-king-of-pop/
On July 2nd, 2013 news began to leak from different media outlets on the Internet, that Timbaland has been putting the final touches on a new MJ album. The sources are also claiming that Michael Jackson has over 8 albums worth of unreleased music. If this news is true, I for one I’m extremely excited. If any producer can bring Michael to life, and give him the perfection he always strived for. It’s for sure the one, and only Timbaland. Michael Jackson fan’s as well as Timbaland’s Supafriends should all be celebrating this exciting news. Michael Jackson, and Timbaland are two of my biggest idol’s. One gave me the drive to want to be an amazing artitst, while the other has schooled, taught me music business, and gave me the ear on what music should, and is supposed to sound like. The both of them on one album for the first time is truly an amazing concept. Two Kings, I know Michael would be proud. Timbaland has risen from the Ashes of his haters, and critics. As I recall they said he fall off, and lost his touch. Now Tim, myself, and my fellow Supafriends get to sit back, and laugh as he leaves them, and the Music Industry dum founded. Timbaland, and his music paintings never sleep. His creative ideas, and music team are always leaving people speechless with everything from, Missy Elliott, Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, and more. It’s amazing that he’s even managed to sign new artists like, Shawn Chrystopher, Lyrica Anderson, Dopebyaccident, KD Cherry, and so on. All while continuing to work on his next solo album, and now news of MJ. Timbaland is truly a force to be reckoned with. I hope someday soon god blesses me to be able to work with him in the studio, but until then. It’s time to just sit back, and enjoy the Timbaland take over.

nah, i wanted Michael Prince working on the unreleased tracks with brad buxer. leave the demo's the way Michael left them, their's no need to touch up his song's just for a number one. urgh. i want the raw tracks.

Did Michael Jackson work with Timbaland at all before his death? Another blog I found about this says that they were working together before he died. So if they did and the songs Timbaland worked on are the ones they did together, I don't see there being too much of a problem there. But if they didn't, it might be a different story.
DivaWhispers learned over the weekend that super legendary producer Timbaland is getting ready to release a new album from the King of Music Michael Jackson. I remember reading right before Michael’s death that he was collaborating with Timbo for new music. A really close source of Timbaland’s confided to me that Michael’s new album is going to be sick! He has over a total of at least 8 albums of music that has not been released and Timbaland has been working very hard on creating a masterpiece. DivaWhispers was told that MJ’s fans are going to be happy. I know that I am excited! I know that Timbaland will do Michael justice. Some may say that they don’t think Timbaland should be working on a MJ album but I beg to differ. I say let’s give it a chance. Timbaland isn’t called a super producer for nothing! Can’t wait! I think that Tim’s amazing canny beats with Michael’s voice would be amazing.
This blog was posted on July 5. http://sutbeattalks.blogspot.com/2013/07/timbaland-is-getting-ready-to-put-out.html

Did Michael Jackson work with Timbaland at all before his death? Another blog I found about this says that they were working together before he died. So if they did and the songs Timbaland worked on are the ones they did together, I don't see there being too much of a problem there. But if they didn't, it might be a different story. This blog was posted on July 5. http://sutbeattalks.blogspot.com/2013/07/timbaland-is-getting-ready-to-put-out.html

They never worked together.

Back