TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $186 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

TII now at 222,6M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now also the highest grossing documentary ever beating Farhheit 9/11!!!!!!!!!

In 5th place, Michael Jackson's This Is It for Sony Pictures had a $5.1M weekend from 3,036 theaters and new cume of $67.2M. The film has now grossed $222.6M globally -- $155.4M overseas and $67.2M domestic.

www.deadline.com

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $186 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

If they spend additional money on advertising, they will need to recoup it, meaning less money for the estate.

At this point, I think most people who wanted to see the movie saw it, the few that are not aware that it has been extended will know this week, with the additional press.

I don't new ads will bring that much more money.

Ι didn't mean adds as much as word of mouth and good reports in the press -both about the movie and its performance.. I think this is part of the regular promotion that any company does for its products; it's a web they form with the media..
So sony keep pushing that wouldn't mean necessarily additional money spent..
And in anycase, that's how they act with promotion-strategy in all movies..TII deserves it down to the end..

This Is It grossed 222.6mil worldwide by far.

Farhheit 9/11:
TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $119,194,771 53.6%
+ Foreign: $103,252,111 46.4%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $222,446,882

So TII has topped Farhheit 9/11 worldwide in its third week. Yeah.

If they spend additional money on advertising, they will need to recoup it, meaning less money for the estate.

At this point, I think most people who wanted to see the movie saw it, the few that are not aware that it has been extended will know this week, with the additional press.

I don't new ads will bring that much more money.

$ony won't spend more money on ads. According to documents, $ony will only get 135mil from TII. 90% of the rest will go to MJ estate, 10% will go to AEG. And don't forget, 2012 released by $ony is playing now. So I don't think $ony will do more for TII though I hope so.

$ony won't spend more money on ads. According to documents, $ony will only get 135mil from TII. 90% of the rest will go to MJ estate, 10% will go to AEG. And don't forget, 2012 released by $ony is playing now. So I don't think $ony will do more for TII though I hope so.

where are these documents? Where can we read them?

I got this message from other MJ fan site. I will try to check it again.

from TMZ i think but that was months ago
TMZ keep all their reports online, and I have read everything they have reported since MJ's death.
Please provide link if possible. Thank you!

I got this message from other MJ fan site. I will try to check it again.

Please do find the original reports, because to does not make sense at all.

in order for Sony to make that 135M$, the movie would have to make 270M$ at the Box Office.

Don't forget all receipts are split evenly between the distributor & the theater owners.

Last edited:

dont think there is any. i just saw this info reported in some articles. id be surprised if such info was leaked

can a mod update the title amount

xtra dates upto the 26th nov are starting to appear on the vue cinema website in the uk normally takes a day or so for them all to be updated. hoping my local doesnt finish its run this week

actuals for weekend: as estimated, TII grossed $5,078,920 ,but at no.5 -instead of no.6, as it was predicted.
total domestic is at 67 mil.
I think an 85 mil total by the time it leaves is a plausible target. It means 9 mil a week -about a million a day and 5 mil each weekend. Leaving aside that thanksgiving weekend will be bigger

85 million is reasonable for the US, total global figures will be about $260 million in my opinion which is amazing for a music documentary. It will end being the #1 concert movie of all time in the US, UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, Africa, Germany, France, and many other nations. It will (and already has) be the #1 concert movie of all time globally. Once the DVD comes out in February, Grammy buzz will be flying which will only increase the DVD sales. I am predicting the DVD will sell about 4 million copies in the US (4 mil x $25 average price= $100 million revenue) plus another 3 million globally (3 mil x $25 average price= 75 million revenue) thus taking total global DVD revenue to $175 million, but that is on the low side because blu-ray will be $30+, so $200 million in DVD revenue is very realistic. The CD will sell about 4 million copies globally when all is said and done (4 mil x $10 price= $40 million). Thus total THIS IS IT profit will be over $500,000,000 (five hundred million or half a billion). That's just from the theatrical release, DVD, and CD. Not bad at all!

^ I hope the estate get a big chunk of that.

actuals for weekend: as estimated, TII grossed $5,078,920 ,but at no.5 -instead of no.6, as it was predicted.
total domestic is at 67 mil.
I think an 85 mil total by the time it leaves is a plausible target. It means 9 mil a week -about a million a day and 5 mil each weekend. Leaving aside that thanksgiving weekend will be bigger

85 M won't happen ! stop dreamin !

Monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday : 400 000 only each day
week end : 2,5 M
next week with thanksgiving : 5 M

Total final : 77 m

85 M won't happen ! stop dreamin !

Monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday : 400 000 only each day
week end : 2,5 M
next week with thanksgiving : 5 M

Total final : 77 m

I say we stop the negativity in such an I-know-better-what-I'm-saying-style, and instead get our a$$e$ to the theatres..
the movie is gonna do just fine..

How much has it made overall now.

It has made alot more than 186 now - why hasn't the title been updated?

Monday box office:

1. 2012 $5,114,982
2. A CHRISTMAS CAROL (2009) $1,051,068
3. PRECIOUS: BASED ON THE NOVEL "PUSH" BY SAPPHIRE $479,012
4. THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS $431,319
5. MICHAEL JACKSON'S THIS IS IT $355,940

boxofficemojo.com

^^ Again it seems like its going to be another slow week for all movies at the box office well apart from 2012 and Twilight.

I say we stop the negativity in such an I-know-better-what-I'm-saying-style, and instead get our a$$e$ to the theatres..
the movie is gonna do just fine..

I was just telling the truth...as I did for the last WE.

now, you're right, everybody here should go back to the theater !!

I went 5 times already

It seems however the fate for all movies except 2012 and CC.. I mean, look at how poorly the rest of the more recently released ones do already..
And TII is really not doing bad for the number of theaters it is in.. I mean the rest of the new releases -besides 2012- are grossing the same with double and three times as many theaters..

So if you ask me it's still holding steady. It just needs some further push. Good press, word for its records, and fans to keep asking for it..

The buzz has definitely died down, maybe your thanksgiving will give it another boost.

I was just telling the truth...as I did for the last WE.

now, you're right, everybody here should go back to the theater !!

I went 5 times already

I actually agree with your predictions.

Did it beat HM the movie yet domesticly or not?

And I am not talking about the 3D concert

This Is It will only do $300,000-$400,000 each weekday, it will do about $3 million this coming weekend and about $5 million on Thanksgiving weekend. Totals will be between $75-80 million in the US which is great.

Actually I think the movie should be extended to Christmas.. It can very well reach a hundred mil domestic in another 20 days, and I'm quite sure it's the kind of movie alot of people would go to on holiday..
After all it's not the plan to have released the dvd by then, so why not..? I'm sure other movies that were out before TII will still be there at Christmas time..

85 million is reasonable for the US, total global figures will be about $260 million in my opinion which is amazing for a music documentary. It will end being the #1 concert movie of all time in the US, UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, Africa, Germany, France, and many other nations. It will (and already has) be the #1 concert movie of all time globally. Once the DVD comes out in February, Grammy buzz will be flying which will only increase the DVD sales. I am predicting the DVD will sell about 4 million copies in the US (4 mil x $25 average price= $100 million revenue) plus another 3 million globally (3 mil x $25 average price= 75 million revenue) thus taking total global DVD revenue to $175 million, but that is on the low side because blu-ray will be $30+, so $200 million in DVD revenue is very realistic. The CD will sell about 4 million copies globally when all is said and done (4 mil x $10 price= $40 million). Thus total THIS IS IT profit will be over $500,000,000 (five hundred million or half a billion). That's just from the theatrical release, DVD, and CD. Not bad at all!

:punk:

...and the question is... what next?

Back