Tickets to Michael Jackson movie go on sale September 27 ( 2 week run only )[ Threads Merged ]

GinnyJackson

Proud Member

AP - A Michael Jackson film built around rehearsal footage left behind after his death will be released in a limited two-week theatrical engagement worldwide.

if this is true... Then like all of his concerts... I wont see it.

______

The film about Michael Jackson's final three months, which uses video of rehearsals for his concert comeback, will run in theaters worldwide for two weeks only beginning October 28, according to Sony Pictures.
Footage from Michael Jackson's rehearsals for 50 London shows will be used in "This Is It."

Tickets for "Michael Jackson: This Is it" go on sale Sunday, September 27, Sony said in a news release Thursday.
"Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, and genius as he creates and perfects his final show," Sony said.

Kenny Ortega, who was working with Jackson to create the "This Is It" concert, is also directing the documentary.

"As we began assembling the footage for the motion picture, we realized we captured something extraordinary, unique and very special," Ortega said. "It's a very private, exclusive look into a creative genius' world."

Ortega said "This Is It" "may go down as the greatest concert that no one got a chance to see," since the pop singer died three weeks before it was to debut in the O2 Arena in London, England. "But with this film, we get a rare portrait of Michael as he prepares for his final curtain call and what I believe was going to be his master work."

Sony began editing the film last week after concert promoter AEG Live handed over about 100 hours of video it shot during April, May and June 2009.

The initial release date was set for October 30, but Sony said it decided the "special, limited, two-week engagement worldwide" would be moved up two days.

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge approved the deal last week to allow the special administrators of Jackson's estate to sign a contract with Sony and AEG Live to allow the production.

The judge has yet to decide on a deal that would allow AEG Live to conduct a three-city tour of a Michael Jackson memorabilia exhibition to coincide with the film's release.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ef=igoogle_cnn

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jackson `This Is It' film gets 2-week limited run (AP)

It will only be in theatres for 2 weeks because they will want to rush this on to DVD. Its known that DVD sales and hires are more profitable than theatre releases. If movie fails in the theatre, companies make their money back on DVD hires and sales.

It'll be so depressing when the run is over.. 2 weeks is so short.

You won't get to see it??

It'll be so depressing when the run is over.. 2 weeks is so short.

You won't get to see it??

I doubt my theater will even show it. Iowa people are more rock and country then King Of Pop.

i'm partly relieved. from one side it's great to see This is it and what it was all about. but from the other side - it's so heartbreaking because you will be seeing Michael alive just a short time away from his death. i'm relieved that it's only for 2 weeks even though it's selfish. i will be going often but it will be the suffering.

That's not good. Surely with a release as big as this someone close by to you will have it, I hope. We will hopefully get a DVD too though, so you won't miss it.

I doubt my theater will even show it. Iowa people are more rock and country then King Of Pop.

Tickets to Michael Jackson movie go on sale September 27

The film about Michael Jackson's final three months, which uses video of rehearsals for his concert comeback, will run in theaters worldwide for two weeks only beginning October 28, according to Sony Pictures.
art.jackson.performance.aeg.jpg

Footage from Michael Jackson's rehearsals for 50 London shows will be used in "This Is It."

Tickets for "Michael Jackson: This Is it" go on sale Sunday, September 27, Sony said in a news release Thursday.
"Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, and genius as he creates and perfects his final show," Sony said.

Kenny Ortega, who was working with Jackson to create the "This Is It" concert, is also directing the documentary.

"As we began assembling the footage for the motion picture, we realized we captured something extraordinary, unique and very special," Ortega said. "It's a very private, exclusive look into a creative genius' world."

Ortega said "This Is It" "may go down as the greatest concert that no one got a chance to see," since the pop singer died three weeks before it was to debut in the O2 Arena in London, England. "But with this film, we get a rare portrait of Michael as he prepares for his final curtain call and what I believe was going to be his master work."

Sony began editing the film last week after concert promoter AEG Live handed over about 100 hours of video it shot during April, May and June 2009.

The initial release date was set for October 30, but Sony said it decided the "special, limited, two-week engagement worldwide" would be moved up two days.

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge approved the deal last week to allow the special administrators of Jackson's estate to sign a contract with Sony and AEG Live to allow the production.

The judge has yet to decide on a deal that would allow AEG Live to conduct a three-city tour of a Michael Jackson memorabilia exhibition to coincide with the film's release.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Mov...son.movie.tickets/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Re: Tickets to Michael Jackson movie go on sale September 27

By the sounds of it, when it says 'limited' does that mean we might not necessarily get to see it? We have to get tickets online or something, like a concert?

They are doing the same PR plan that they did with the Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers concert movies. If I remember correctly, both were to be only shown in theaters for about a week. But Miley Cyrus' concert movie was so wildly popular, i think it lasted almost a month in the theaters.

But yeah, they want everyone to see it during opening wknd (like a concert) so they say 'LIMITED ENGAGEMENT'. But if there is demand, the movie will stay in the cinema longer.

Well, I best get my ticket come Sept 27th then. . .

I work in an Odeon cinema in the UK, so I'll ask about the availability of it and stuff.

It will only be in theatres for 2 weeks because they will want to rush this on to DVD. Its known that DVD sales and hires are more profitable than theatre releases. If movie fails in the theatre, companies make their money back on DVD hires and sales.

If that's the case, then I say skip the theatrical release and just release it on dvd as soon as possible.

What if it will be a high demand? Then will they keep it in theatres? Michael Jackson sells out everything. I'm sure every theatre will be sold out of This Is It tickets. In my opinion I think they are making a mistake if they want to "Make more money."

I think they might extend the run of 'This Is It' in theaters if it does really well. The article says its a limited release in theaters, so I guess not every theater will get it :( Ginny, I hope you get to see it.

Just two weeks? And limited?

This is Michael Jackson.

I hope it wont be hard to get tickets. I must see this!

'Limited,' almost as if they want people to scram for tickets. "Better grab a ticket before they're gone.." Almost makes me feel like he's being sold...*sighs*

But I do want to see this. Yes it'll be hard but it's something that he'd want all of us fans/supporters to see. He was so proud of it.

Let's hope that they do the man justice and EVERYONE gets to see what an amazing performer and person Michael truly was. God this just seems to unreal at times...I wish it was.

two weeks? just what kind of pricing are we looking at here?

:(

'Limited,' almost as if they want people to scram for tickets. "Better grab a ticket before they're gone.." Almost makes me feel like he's being sold...*sighs*

But I do want to see this. Yes it'll be hard but it's something that he'd want all of us fans/supporters to see. He was so proud of it.

Let's hope that they do the man justice and EVERYONE gets to see what an amazing performer and person Michael truly was. God this just seems to unreal at times...I wish it was.

Yeah the promoters and SONY obviously want the hype and hysteria. I personally think these limited tickets are a bad idea. People who aren't even real fans I bet are gonna end up getting them and some will no doubt be re-selling them for ridiculous prices if they sell out. It will suck if some of us fans who want to see it don't get tickets. They better release this on DVD.

I hope this will be shown in australia

I will go and see it as long as it will be showing and I know people who are eagerly awaiting the release. 2 weeks? Well we will have the DVD..hope it is on Blu Ray.

Yeah the promoters and SONY obviously want the hype and hysteria. I personally think these limited tickets are a bad idea. People who aren't even real fans I bet are gonna end up getting them and some will no doubt be re-selling them for ridiculous prices if they sell out. It will suck if some of us fans who want to see it don't get tickets. They better release this on DVD.

YES, excellent point, this is what I wanted to touch upon.

Yeah, ya know it should be available to everyone....like, just let it run it's course! 'The Dark Knight' ran for months on end, and we were all able to see Heath's work and pay our respects in that manner.

If they really care about Michael and his legacy/work, they'd let this run it's course. Like, think of how many people will want to watch it over and over again.

And yes, us real fans want to take that time and see his work adn we're still grieving at the same time. it's hard...damn hard. If they have any heart they would see this situation.
My hope is that they do.

They are trying to make this exclusive so fans will jump fast to get the tickets. I wonder if this film will be a wide release or will it be a limited release in certain theatres across the country?

100 hours of footage?? Wow I hope they put out a directors cut dvd.

Yeah, ya know it should be available to everyone....like, just let it run it's course! 'The Dark Knight' ran for months on end, and we were all able to see Heath's work and pay our respects in that manner.

If they really care about Michael and his legacy/work, they'd let this run it's course. Like, think of how many people will want to watch it over and over again.

I think if it does well (and/or sells out quickly), they'll extend it. Sadly, I think they are focusing on the hype & hysteria to sell rather than spreading Michael's work to others. Kenny Ortega's quotes sound awesome and I can't wait to see it. I guess we'll get the tix online or at the theaters, but we just have to wait & see.

100 hours of footage?? Wow I hope they put out a directors cut dvd.

They better. :yes:

Can we pre-order tickets? Is Ticketmaster selling it?
I'm very afraid these will get snatched up really quickly and resold by scalpers. Very bad idea Sony. Don't you have faith that the movie will run for months? I was planning on seeing it more than once.

Cineplex here in Canada doesnt have THIS IS IT scheduled ... I hope they will present it.

I wonder where we will get these tickets??

This makes me want to see it even more.

Back