Thriller 40th Anniversary

As part of the campaign, the Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony Music will host fan events around the world, all free to the public, including immersive experiences, screenings of the Thriller 40 documentary and other fan parties.
OMG! So excited that this is happening, and so disappointed that I can't go, it's all too far 😭

@MJbr2

Thank you
So ok, stupid question, maybe or maybe not.
If it was impossible to get the best possible quality to the people due to technological limitations at the time then why did MJ opt to shoot on film? The best quality was only available on cinema screens but those short films were never released to cinema’s, right? How could he have been happy when looking at the videos on MTV not looking the way they did when he filmed them?
oh ok, I did not see this post while I was replying. So thriller was available in cinemas. Does this mean he didn’t shoot his other videos on film since they were never intended for a cinematic release?
Film is better quality than tape, it's a fact. About the whole TV thing, well, there was no other option. Again, tech limitations from the time.

Everything from Billie Jean onwards has been shot on film, with the exception of BJ being 16mm while the rest is all 35mm.
However, another main topic of discussion is how MJ introduced computer effects/animations on his videos starting from Black or White. So, from that point, only the tape masters present the finished versions of the videos since the effects, for being digital, are not on the film negs. For these videos, it's either making a new transfer of the tape masters in better quality or having to recreate all the effects to be added to fresh 4K scans of the film sources.

Now you've got a pretty summed up version of the whole situation of the music videos.

Film is better quality than tape, it's a fact. About the whole TV thing, well, there was no other option. Again, tech limitations from the time.

Everything from Billie Jean onwards has been shot on film, with the exception of BJ being 16mm while the rest is all 35mm.
However, another main topic of discussion is how MJ introduced computer effects/animations on his videos starting from Black or White. So, from that point, only the tape masters present the finished versions of the videos since the effects, for being digital, are not on the film negs. For these videos, it's either making a new transfer of the tape masters in better quality or having to recreate all the effects to be added to fresh 4K scans of the film sources.

Now you've got a pretty summed up version of the whole situation of the music videos.
scenes with special effects, world class AI upscaling, all else film negatives.

solved.

@MJbr2

Thank you
So ok, stupid question, maybe or maybe not.
If it was impossible to get the best possible quality to the people due to technological limitations at the time then why did MJ opt to shoot on film? The best quality was only available on cinema screens but those short films were never released to cinema’s, right? How could he have been happy when looking at the videos on MTV not looking the way they did when he filmed them?
Shooting on film might have been the director's decision or it was just how big budget music videos were made at the time. A lot of things intended for TV were shot on film. You can buy many old TV shows on Blu-Ray right now like The X-Files. The creators probably never thought it would get seen in HD.

AI upscaling would be interesting if it develops enough to be infallible. Otherwise, it seems like a recipe for disaster.

The estate can’t afford to screw up an MJ short film restoration. They need to either knock it out of the park, or not do it at all. I’d rather watch “Billie Jean” in SQ than a shoddy, second-rate “upscale.”

The estate can’t afford to screw up an MJ short film restoration. They need to either knock it out of the park, or not do it at all. I’d rather watch “Billie Jean” in SQ than a shoddy, second-rate “upscale.”
Well, it's quite easy to just scan the 16mm reel to 1080p and that's it.

Let's not pretend that we'd all enjoy portions of the music videos radically degrading in quality and being clearly upscaled lol. People would "bitch" and rightly so.

Let's not pretend that we'd all enjoy portions of the music videos radically degrading in quality and being clearly upscaled lol. People would "bitch" and rightly so.
Absolutely. If the source material can’t be properly upgraded to HD, don’t do it.

I'll take the OTW videos as example for something: since they're tape, a new raw transfer would look miles better than the DVDs simply for not being MPEG2.
Queen released 2 concerts from tape on SD BluRay and, even being 540p, it looks crystal clear and miles better than a DVD would.

SONY MUSIC & THE ESTATE OF MICHAEL JACKSON ANNOUNCE THE START OF THE THRILLER 40 GLOBAL CAMPAIGN​

NEW YORK, Nov. 1, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Forty years after the release of Thriller, the album that catapulted Michael Jackson into the superstardom stratosphere, Sony Music and The Estate of Michael Jackson announce the start of the global campaign to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the King of Pop's landmark album. As part of the campaign, the Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony Music will host fan events around the world, all free to the public, including immersive experiences, screenings of the Thriller 40 documentary and other fan parties.

Michael Jackson Thriller 40 Cover Artwork
Michael Jackson Thriller 40 Cover Artwork

There will be two immersive experiences. One in Dusseldorf, Germany, November 10-13 and the second in New York City, November 18-20. Each will feature specific track-focused experiences, interactive elements, and social and photo opportunities throughout.

Fans in eight other cities around the world will be treated to a private one-time-only screening of the Thriller 40 documentary which details the making of the biggest selling album in the world.

And in other cities, fans will be invited to special Thriller-themed parties celebrating the release of the new expanded album and will have the opportunity to hear the full double-disc album for the first time.

Further details along with info on how the fans can get tickets for the various fan events can be found HERE.

Released November 30, 1982, the Thriller phenomenon revolutionized music, video standards, and choreography through Michael's innovations for melding sound and visual art, the influence of which is still felt today. Thriller went on to win a record-setting eight Grammys and, with over one hundred million copies sold, it is the best-selling album of all time and the first album to be certified triple diamond by the RIAA. Read more HERE.

About Michael Jackson:
Michael Jackson is one of the most beloved entertainers and profoundly influential artists of all-time. He was also a dedicated philanthropist and an astute business professional. To date Jackson has sold more than 1 billion records worldwide, released 13 No.1 singles and became one of a handful of artists to be inducted twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Guinness Book of World Records recognized Jackson as the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time and Thriller as the Biggest Selling Album of All Time. Jackson won 17 Grammy Awards including 8 in one year, a record, and received 26 American Music Awards, including the Artist of the Century Award. Jackson defined the art form of music video with such ground-breaking short films as "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and the classic "Thriller," which in 2009 became the first and only music video inducted into the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress. In his short films "Black or White," "They Don't Care About Us," "Bad and "Smooth Criminal" and others, Jackson set an aesthetic standard for video production that remains unsurpassed even today. The Estate of Michael Jackson and Cirque du Soleil have produced two top shows: Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour was one of the top grossing tour of all time; and MICHAEL JACKSON ONE, a permanent show at Mandalay Bay Las Vegas, which continues to thrill audiences and to receive critical raves. And on February 1, 2022, MJ the Musical premiered on Broadway. The acclaimed show won the most Tony Awards for a new musical in the 2021-2022 season and continues to break weekly box office records at the Neil Simon Theater. Jackson's sound, style and dance moves continue to inspire today's performers and new generations of fans worldwide continue to discover his artistry.

SOURCE Sony Music Entertainment
Great news. I wish they would be closer to where I live but I'm glad they are doing these. Locations:

NYC Immersive Event

A 3-day immersive event designed to fully transport attendees into the world of the iconic album Thriller with specific track-focused experiences, interactive elements and social + photo opportunities throughout — all to ensure an unforgettable experience for both new and die-hard fans celebrating the 40th anniversary of the world’s best-selling album of all time.

Running Friday, November 18 – Sunday, November 20 at:

Center415
415 5th Avenue New York, NY
Between E 37th and E 38th St

Dusseldorf Immersive Event

A 3-day free event, open to the public, celebrating the best-selling album of all time, Michael Jackson’s Thriller.

The event offers many immersive experiences including some set recreations from the iconic short films, photo booth & an exclusive merch shop featuring music and limited edition Thriller 40 Merch.

Immerse yourself in the world of “Thriller” in this interactive event taking place from Thursday, November 10 – Sunday, November 13 in Düsseldorf at:

Königsallee 46
40212 Düsseldorf, Germany

A One-Time-Only Screening of the Thriller 40 Documentary Which Details the Making of The Biggest Selling Album in The World on Wednesday, November 30th in:

• Los Angeles, California –
• London, UK –
• Toronto, Canada –
• Mexico City, Mexico
• Sydney, Australia –
• Madrid, Spain –
• Amsterdam, Holland –
• Manila, Philippines –
• Seoul, Korea –

Fan Event Parties

We are holding fan events around the globe in celebration of the 40th anniversary including DJ sets, midnight playbacks, screenings of the short films, themed food and drinks, competitions, giveaways and much more. These are happening in:

• Milan, Italy
• Bogota, Columbia
• Buenos Aires, Argentina
• Taipei City, Taiwan
• Paris, France
• Stockholm, Sweden
• Victoria, Hong Kong
• Santiago, Chile
• Lima, Peru

Details coming soon

OK Estate_Sony now I know what you meant from various activations. Please really take this promo work into Orbit but I like what I hear announced already.

The events sound good if you're close enough to attend. I just wish they would have given some information about possible 4K videos or even a teaser for the documentary

Slowly get the wheels on the hype train moving before the release, rather than blitzing everything in 2 weeks time

Hard luck it's not entirely geared around us! I would love to go but unless it's coming to Liverpool then that won't be possible.
Be happy this is the most promo we have seen and engagement with fans since xscape project.
Just wish they will release or re release a single.

Very inconsiderate!

yep.. besides that it seems that this event only goes 30 minutes?
so.. i am gonna drive 4 hours there.. enjoy it for 30 mins and drive 4 hours back?

also this "Note - the Experience will close on Friday - Nov. 11th at 3p due to a private event"

they could have waited and make this even longer then 4 days at a later date...

Last edited:
yep.. besides that it seems that this event only goes 30 minutes?
so.. i am gonna drive 4 hours there.. enjoy it for 30 mins and drive 4 hours back?

also this "Note - the Experience will close on Friday - Nov. 11th at 3p due to a private event"

they could have waited and make this even longer then 4 days at a later date...
It could be 4,5 hours if there are taffic jams

Is the SACD limited edition or just the Mo-Fi vinyl?

When all songs are announced - when will we be able to hear snippets of the songs? - Or will we even be able to haer snippets before the releasedate?

Do you guys think there will be a single release? Or what will promotion be the week leading up to the release? There has to be some promotion to build up hype I guess??

Hess did you not see massive announcement the other day?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I read about the fan events, but I would like more info about when will the rest of us be able to see the doc - and how? I hope for a Blu-Ray release.

Also - I really hope there will be some hype building up. Maybe with a single and the videos in 4K.

Next song will be spice of life because when they start annonce songs to make 40 number week they annonce song to make zero number next week song to make 4 number but about starlight and can't get outta the rain they are both from 4 number and they came after each other so next song will be unreleased spice of life or rolling the dice but i think it will be spice of life because someone in Twitter leaked the list or predict it and all 9 songs are same like his prediction

Back