"This Is It" vs "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus (News Merged)

chocomarker

Proud Member
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds is up to know the most successful concert movie and grossed around $30 million on its first weekend in the US.

"michael jackson's this is it" is now (after the first 3 days) estimated to gross $21,5 million, bringing it to a total of 32 million. hannah montana grossed 70 million in the US, and if michael only has 32 million for the first weekend (and you can say that in the second weekend its usually 50% lower, so maybe 10 million) sony can be happy if they reach 50 million at all.

predictions come from boxoffice.com:

http://boxoffice.com/

people basically say now that sony overpromoted "this is it", spreading news every day about sold outs, largest pre-sales, etc.

which shouldnt be bad, they do exactly the opposite from what they did during invincible, but i guess many people don't know what this movie is about and think it's just some rip-off, quick money, since he just died so recently.

however, what puzzles me most: the movie receives the best reviews of the year so far, A and B all the way (mostly A) and still people don't storm the cinemas yet. but that again proves that you can brink junk like "final destination" to the cinemas, which has usually a C-rating and cash in 3 to 4 times of what "this is it" will gross at box office altogether.

and its really sad that "this is it" won't be able to beat "hannah montana"'s 70 million, i think michael would have really deserved it. i mean the movie was promoted everywhere, even oprah, kenny ortega was on pretty much every relevant tv-show and sony had cool spots on TV and loads of internet banners... i think the lack of interest in this movie doesn't resemble a lack of people's interest in the movie, coz we all know how fast all the people registered for the memorial...and over 10 million times songs and albums have been sold so far in the US alone, so if everyone out of those would go to the movie theatre and buy a ticket for $8, that would already make a gross of 80 million ...

Re: "This Is It" will not top "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds"

People still think it's a quick cash in.. And truth be told it's still a cash in, the only thing that's different is the fact that the movie was pure quality.

It really saddens me to know people still don't even know what the movie is all about.. Meh I hope they just wake up.

problem is, sony didn't help the situation when releasing the song "this is it" which, everyone can hear it, is a song from the 1980s... and sony presents it as the "new single"...

then the album: greatest hits for the 100th time and a disc 2 with 4 very nice tracks, but if you offer a double disc album and disc 2 only has 4 tracks people will think that this is another quick cash in.

so the alarm bell goes off in every single case of sony's "this is it" actions and efforts and as i stated it in my other thread from before, "this is it" is a PR-desaster and the perfect example, how to wrongly promote a critically highly acclaimed movie...

congratz sony for doing things wrong for the 100th time. i still think if the track they had released was something from recently (there were so many reports about him working with akon, will.i.am, RedOne and even t-pain) with a quality of a "club-banger" to promote the movie, then things would look a bit brighter. but the 1980s song doesn't help anything to promote the movie.

just adding this about sony announcing everywhere the large pre-sale and sold-outs. now it shows that this isn't the case at all and many people just dont go to see the movie coz they think its sold out anyways, just got this from the imdb-board for this is it:

"hey guys.. just came back from watching it n loved it!
i find it very wierd that yesterday for the midnight opening my friend went and told me it was not sold out and tonight there were only like 20 people in the room?!?! im very confused i thought it would be sold out every night!"

and also many people just dont know what the movie really is about:

"I'm definitely not going to see it. I've listened to some of Jackson's hits, and they're fun and everything. But for the most part, I don't want to go sit in a theater and listen to a handful of music I don't much care for."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477715/board/nest/150142118?d=150428146&p=2#150428146

thats the current general perception, so if you have friends or family who haven't seen the movie, please tell them if they don't know any better yet so that they will go watch the movie. it would be a wonder if michael tops hannah montana, but it would be a great wonder.

what a joke! hannah montana, i mean what has the world come to.......................................................... i know that everyone, or most, actually love MJ, but hey daren't admit it. and going to see a film in public is admitting it. most of them will buy the dvd or download the film. because they are too scared to admit there feelings for MJ in public. this explains his huge record sales, which are downloadable, but anything that expresses public love for MJ just doesnt do so well, cause there are still a lot of closet fans sadly

Dont get disheartned. Michael will do just fine like he always does.
A pure soul can never loose..

i so sorry to know that some fans refused to see the movie.

TII is a very good experience and any MJ fan will find it a chance of a life time.

its not a movie its a magical experience

On a worldwide scale TII will triumph over Miley Cyrus surely.

Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds is up to know the most successful concert movie and grossed around $30 million on its first weekend in the US.

"michael jackson's this is it" is now (after the first 3 days) estimated to gross $21,5 million, bringing it to a total of 32 million. hannah montana grossed 70 million in the US, and if michael only has 32 million for the first weekend (and you can say that in the second weekend its usually 50% lower, so maybe 10 million) sony can be happy if they reach 50 million at all.

people basically say now that sony overpromoted "this is it", spreading news every day about sold outs, largest pre-sales, etc.

which shouldnt be bad, they do exactly the opposite from what they did during invincible, but i guess many people don't know what this movie is about and think it's just some rip-off, quick money, since he just died so recently.

however, what puzzles me most: the movie receives the best reviews of the year so far, A and B all the way (mostly A) and still people don't storm the cinemas yet. but that again proves that you can brink junk like "final destination" to the cinemas, which has usually a C-rating and cash in 3 to 4 times of what "this is it" will gross at box office altogether.

and its really sad that "this is it" won't be able to beat "hannah montana"'s 70 million, i think michael would have really deserved it. i mean the movie was promoted everywhere, even oprah, kenny ortega was on pretty much every relevant tv-show and sony had cool spots on TV and loads of internet banners... i think the lack of interest in this movie doesn't resemble a lack of people's interest in the movie, coz we all know how fast all the people registered for the memorial...and over 10 million times songs and albums have been sold so far in the US alone, so if everyone out of those would go to the movie theatre and buy a ticket for $8, that would already make a gross of 80 million ...

ya can't predict the future. neither can box office dot com. and that is what they are trying to do. it's a nasty habit of all of them. it reminds me of something they like to do when 'estimating' who will get a disease or something. ya can't predict the future. to estimate means to guess. you never ever know what is around the corner. but what is apparent is how quick all these media sites are to compare everything to Michael. so...that, in itself is tell tale of their awareness of Michael's earning power. and that, my friends, is in the present.

Loved film, but maybe Sony could have waited abit longer. Met a friend today who was giving out about Sony milking it, with MJ only dead a few months and releasing an album with 99% of songs we already own.

Who cares. This is IT is a fantastic movie and MJ will be #1. So will the cd! Such a blessing. Just congratulate and be happy.

How do they know what TII grossed for the first weekend when the weekend isn't over yet?

that's true.

right now the movie has grossed $19,000,000, and that's up until friday and not including today.

Guys, tell EVERYONE to see the movie!! Tell them it's so good it doesn't even look like a concert!! We should all advertise ourselves with those new trailers on myspaces and facebooks, even twitter.

Well the UK is braced for some truly awful weather tomorrow, which is generally good for cinema business.

why are we constantly looking for the negatives on this... is there an advantage to it that I am missing?

MJ's movie has not even completed a weekend run it, its only out for 2wks ... and the Miley movie was out for MUCH longer than two weeks for those worldwide sales...

this is comparing apples to oranges...............

Good grief !!!

and so what ... Miley's soundtrack is on SonyATV ... so Michael wins anyway.........

Last edited:

hanna montana, come on, all DISNEY PROMOTION AND ALL(all of therm) 10 YEAR OLD GIRLS LOVE HER, CAUSE IT LIKE THE GIRLY GIRL, how can you top that... This days its not about talent its about fast selling teen stars

thats for sure, United States its all about pop girly girls and hip hop...

hanna montana, come on, all DISNEY PROMOTION AND ALL(all of therm) 10 YEAR OLD GIRLS LOVE HER, CAUSE IT LIKE THE GIRLY GIRL, how can you top that... This days its not about talent its about fast selling teen stars

So true. I never even thought of the target audience.

A lot of people have actually got fed up of Michael over the past few months I am not surprised it is turing out like this. How the general population can get fed up of Michael yet they don't get fed up of the crap music around today I can never understand.

That 70 mill is a GLOBAL number & MJ will smash it....in 2 weeks no less

Frankie says ... Relax ... Don't don't do it.

there is a usa citizen over in the MJ gen disc thread that said they attended the premiere and the theatre was filled with teenagers. and that citizen said they wished those teenagers would go back home.

The film will beat Hannah Montana worlwide with its sales but just not in the US (well not if they keep to the 2 week engagement) which is a shame since it is such a good movie.

How can we talk about it not doing well..when we still need the final figures from showings at the end of the run of this movie...fools...they need to stop trying to minimize it. Hannah montanna does she have talent???? Good Grief, stupidity!

I though it will do very well on the weekend with tons of amazing reviews but no, that didint help.

People are like : No I will no see it, I dont care even if its amazing.

It reminds me something similar with Michael.

MJ is proven innocent but no He is Guilty, Im sure he is no matter what! THATS America my friends.

there is a usa citizen over in the MJ gen disc thread that said they attended the premiere and the theatre was filled with teenagers. and that citizen said they wished those teenagers would go back home.
Ok so you are gonna say to me that hana montana is not specially designes for girly girls, and that michael gets bastarded everywhere in the media, are you gonna say to me that Michael gets praised by the media ???? come on dont lie.

How can we talk about it not doing well..when we still need the final figures from showings at the end of the run of this movie...fools...they need to stop trying to minimize it. Hannah montanna does she have talent???? Good Grief, stupidity!
talent does not matter anymore

Ok so you are gonna say to me that hana montana is not specially designes for girly girls, and that michael gets bastarded everywhere in the media, are you gonna say to me that Michael gets praised by the media ???? come on dont lie.

i thought you were talking about the teenagers. not the media.

and that's the sweet thing about it. you are absolutely right about what the media has been doing here, to MJ. so how do you explain the countless teenagers, here in the usa who were part of the fans that closed down the streets around MJ, everywhere he went, and, the ones in the line to see the movie, and the ones in the theater?(the sweet thing is not what the media has been doing and still does..the sweet thing is about the surprise response from the teenagers.)

As I said in the box office thread, MJ is about a bazillion times more successful than Miley Cyrus and has absolutely nothing to prove against her. It's not like people will start thinking that Hannah Montanna is bigger than Michael Jackson unless he beats her theater record. It would've been cool if This Is It got bigger numbers than the HM movie in America, and maybe it still will, but it's not exactly something Michael "needed" on top of all his other accolades. I'd chill and be content that the film is #1.

The film is doing really well internationally though, its performing really well in UK, France, China, Japan and Germany.

Back