The wedding of William and Kate

Like I said before, this isn't 1675 so the "Royals" mean jack squat to me. Their blood is no more royal than my own. MJ was more regal than anyone of them will ever be. However, I didn't mean to suggest that the royals aren't worthy of life. I admit "meaningless" was a bad choice of words. Even so, I don't think it's fair to suggest that I should have to shut myself off from civilization until the hoopla blows over. If I did that, I would have been out of the loop for several months and even longer being that all news outlets will continue to talk about it ad nauseum. Hardly seems fair, no? A better solution would have been to cover this like any other vanity story of little actual value. I don't care how fascinating this wedding was, it's still froth and not worthy of all the attention. Again, I wish them well but kindly leave me alone now.

There you go, I understand your opinion. I know 80% of British people don't care for the royal wedding at all but A LOT of Americans do care. Me and my Haitian family are fascinated by this whole royalty thing. I watch too many Disney princesses movies lol.

Hmmmm....

I've been reading a lot of negative and slurring comments about today's Royal Wedding not only from this forum but on others too, I am not a Royalist but I do understand the 'pulling power' that the Monarchy has for the British economy not only in the UK but from the tourists that visit. A lot of people were very happy to be 'involved' with the celebration and the atmosphere looked exciting and people were extremely happy, there were lots of different nationalities and faiths all there to join in the celebrations. People need good news and today brought a little light relief to all the bad news we've been having over the last few months/years.
If you don't like Royalty or what was happening today don't spoil it for everyone else who did have a good time, you can air your views but do go on about how much it costs etc as no one knows exactly how much it cost and who paid for what.
Just be happy for two delightful people who took their time to get to know each other before getting married.
Many congratulations to William and Catherine and hope that they can has as 'quiet and normal' life as possible.

To think they exposed the world to a moment of beauty, to music that hasn't been heard in a century, to fashion! I mean for God sakes- let's all never take our focus on the hate, war, starvation and death- every second of the day!!

Last edited:
Last question for those in the know. When they were proceeding to Buckingham Palace, at various places on the route William would salute and Kate would bow her head. What was that about? Anyone know?
Got this from another forum...

William was returning the salute given to them.

Kate bows her head in acknowledgement just as the Queen does. Only commisioned members of HM forces salute or return salutes.

The only place you will see the Queen (or any other Royal) 'salute' (or bow their heads) first is at the cenotaph, the tomb of the unkown soldier or to a Victoria Cross holder. Outwith those three situations they only ever return salutes.

If you noticed Kate on the way to the Abbey, none of the guards saluted her. On the way back, they had to or woe betide!

I HATE how people are/were complaining over this. Get a grip. In a world with so much darkness, sadness and hate, let us just be happy and celebrate together for ONCE - REGARDLESS of the occasion.

My lord...

I am just glad that the majority of people celebrated this joyful day.

Like I said before, this isn't 1675 so the "Royals" mean jack squat to me. Their blood is no more royal than my own. MJ was more regal than any of them will ever be. However, I didn't mean to suggest that the royals aren't worthy of life. I admit "meaningless" was a bad choice of words. Even so, I don't think it's fair to suggest that I should have to shut myself off from civilization until the hoopla blows over. If I did that, I would have been out of the loop for several months and even longer being that all news outlets will continue to talk about it ad nauseum. Hardly seems fair, no? A better solution would have been to cover this like any other vanity story of little actual value. I don't care how fascinating this wedding was, it's still froth and not worthy of all the attention it's gotten 24/7. Again, I wish them well but kindly leave me alone now. I'm so tired of hearing about the same damn story over and over again in agonizing detail. Flip through your channels, browse the net, it's literally EVERYWHERE! There's no escaping it. I could literally be lost at sea and the dolphin that comes to save me would end up having a "Will & Kate" tattoo on it's dorsal fin. Yes, that's how bad it is. :lol:

What an exaggeration. I browse the net, look at the news, haven't been bombarded with anything except misery, violence and bad news, day in and day out, year after year. There's no escaping that, ever. So calm yourself, a happy story is over now and you survived the media! :yes:

What did you guys think of Princess Beatrice's hat? :toofunny:

Princess-Beatrice-The-Royal-Wedding-Hat-02-2011-04-29.jpg

Princess-Beatrice15.jpg

I think shes really pretty..but im sorry that hat just looks like a giant pretzel!

Got this from another forum...

William was returning the salute given to them.

Kate bows her head in acknowledgement just as the Queen does. Only commisioned members of HM forces salute or return salutes.

The only place you will see the Queen (or any other Royal) 'salute' (or bow their heads) first is at the cenotaph, the tomb of the unkown soldier or to a Victoria Cross holder. Outwith those three situations they only ever return salutes.

If you noticed Kate on the way to the Abbey, none of the guards saluted her. On the way back, they had to or woe betide!

Thank you! I missed the 'beginning' and didn't notice the salutes!

Man, in the end I ended up watching some of the footage and being entranced by it, haha! I have to say, Kate looked absolutely stunning in her dress and very regal. And Harry, that little joker haha!

God, what can I say about Kate Middleton? I found myself falling in love with her more and more throughout the day, she is just stunning! I'm sure many other straight men throughout the country felt the same.

I hope this article has not already been posted. I don't have time to read the posts in this thread that I haven't seen. This article answers my question of did the bride includeanything blue following the tradition of something borrowed, something new, something blue:

Kate wows in second Sarah Burton outfit

<CITE class=subtitle>kempSat, Apr 30, 2011 08:59 GMT+00:00</CITE>

Kate Middleton followed up her highly-anticipated wedding dress with an evening outfit by the same designer.
The elaborate creation by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen for the wedding was made of ivory and white satin gazar and designed to resemble an open flower.
Its intricate train stretched two metres 70 centimetres - modest in comparison to previous Royal brides.
Kate's second Burton outfit for the evening celebrations was a strapless white satin gazar evening gown with a circle skirt and diamante embroidered detail round the waist.
She was also wearing a white angora bolero cardigan, St James's Palace said.

Kate's earlier dress was praised by the woman who designed the outfit for Princess Diana on her big day in 1981.
Elizabeth Emanuel said Kate's gown would be copied for years.
She said: "I think the thing about that dress is it is very wearable and that style would fit so many different shapes.
"I'm sure it is going to be a very coveted look and there will be copies of it from tomorrow onwards."
Burton was only revealed as the designer as the bride arrived at Westminster Abbey with her father Michael.
The 29-year-old newlywed had been determined to keep the gown a well-guarded secret in the run-up to her marriage to retain an element of mystery for Prince William.
And her efforts worked perfectly because as she came alongside her husband-to-be, he leant in and said: "You look so beautiful."
The bodice and train were decorated with handcrafted lace applique flowers, made according to the Irish Carrickmacross lace-making technique.
The dress was praised by fellow designers, with many in the fashion world describing it as a classic style.
British bridal designer Suzanne Neville said the outfit was timeless.
"It's not actually a new design, I don't necessarily feel, but she has absolutely brought out that classic British look.
"I thought it was exactly what most people thought she was going to wear, but it was beautiful, absolutely stunning.
"She has not shocked anybody or done anything out of character, but it absolutely suits her and her tiny frame."
St James's Palace said Kate chose McQueen because of the "beauty of its craftsmanship" and "respect for traditional workmanship and technical construction".
"She had a vision in mind that she wanted to support the Arts and Crafts tradition," a spokesman for the palace said.
The four floral emblems of the United Kingdom - the rose, thistle, daffodil and the shamrock - were incorporated into the lace design.
Because the lace was coming from different sources, great care had to be taken to ensure each was exactly the same colour.
Individual flowers were hand-cut from English and French Chantilly lace and hand-engineered into the ivory silk tulle to create an "organic" design.
Kate wore her hair - which has become her signature - in a demi Chignon with the Queen's little-known 1936 Cartier "halo" tiara as her "something borrowed".
She opted not to wear a necklace but did have a pair of beautiful pear-shaped diamond drop earrings, which were a wedding gift from her parents.
They were her "something new". For her "something blue", a blue ribbon was sewn inside the dress. The Carrickmacross craftsmanship was her "something old".
Her veil, which fell to just below her waist, is made of layers of soft, ivory silk tulle and decorated with hand-embroidered flowers.
In keeping with Royal tradition, Kate's arms were covered with full-sleeved lace overlay which was built into the dress.
Her bodice was narrowed at the waist and padded at the hips, drawing on the Victorian tradition of corsetry which has become a hallmark of Alexander McQueen.
The lace applique for the bodice and skirt was hand-made by the Royal School of Needlework, based at Hampton Court palace.
Workers washed their hands every 30 minutes to make sure the lace and threads remained pristine. Needles were swapped every three hours to keep them sharp.
The bridal bouquet - in a nod to her husband - contained a bouquet of sweet William as well as the traditional sprig of myrtle, the herb of love.
Burton said in a statement that designing the dress was "the experience of a lifetime".
"I have enjoyed every moment of it," the designer said, adding that Kate looked "absolutely stunning".
"It was such an incredible honour to be asked, and I am so proud of what we and the Alexander McQueen team have created.
"The last few months have been very exciting and an incredible experience. I wish the HRH Prince William and Princess Catherine every good wish for the future."
Pippa Middleton, the maid-of-honour, also wore a stunning full length ivory gown while the bridesmaids wore creations by Nikki Macfarlane.
Burton, 36, was tipped as the designer back in March but the McQueen label had denied the rumours to keep Kate Middleton's secret.
Originally from Manchester, she took over as creative director at McQueen after the designer's suicide last year.
She started at the label as an intern in the 90s before joining full-time on leaving St Martin's College in 1997.
Over a period of 14 years, she became McQueen's closest aide. She has previously designed one-off creations for Michelle Obama and Lady Gaga.
Designing the wedding dress has been hailed as the biggest commission ever and is set to catapult Burton to worldwide fame.
Kate, now the Duchess of Cambridge, is said to have been heavily involved in the design of the dress and apparently had very clear ideas about how it should look.
Her mother Carole chose the Catherine Walker label for her outfit - a sky blue dress and matching long coat. Her hat was by the family favourite Jane Corbett.
Catherine Walker, who died of cancer last year, was a favourite of Diana, Princess of Wales.
Elsewhere hat designer Philip Treacy was a clear favourite with Victoria Beckham and many members of the Royal Family selecting his work for the day.
Mrs Beckham, heavily pregnant with her fourth child, wore one of her own creations for the service - a midnight blue boat neck tunic dress.
TV presenter Ben Fogle's wife Marina - also close to giving birth to the couple's second child - opted instead for a beautiful emerald green dress and a fascinator.
The Queen wore a primrose yellow dress and coat with matching hat - both designed by Angela Kelly. She also wore the Queen Mary's True Lovers Knot diamond brooch.
Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, wore an Anna Valentine dress - as predicted opting for the same label behind her own wedding dress in 2005.
Her dress was a champagne silk with matching duck egg blue and champagne, hand-embroidered coat. She too donned a Philip Treacy hat.
Samantha Cameron decided against wearing a hat despite the occasion, opting for a borrowed headpiece and necklace by Erickson Beamon for Erdem.
She wore a £495 Burberry London teal knee-length dress, £75 shoes from Aldo and followed the trend for block colours by carrying an orange shawl.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg's wife Miriam wore an outfit dubbed one of the sexiest of the day - a Spanish influenced polka dot dress with large red fascinator.

http://uk.royalwedding.yahoo.com/blogs/kate-wows-in-second-sarah-burton-outfit-8376

There you go, I understand your opinion. I know 80% of British people don't care for the royal wedding at all but A LOT of Americans do care. Me and my Haitian family are fascinated by this whole royalty thing. I watch too many Disney princesses movies lol.

Nah, don't let the cynics on here fool you. There were over a million British people in London for the ceremony and a recent poll (shown on our news two days ago) said that 76% of the Brits support the monarchy. It's just the negative people that are always the loudest, as with anything ;)

I can also imagine why some people have become fed up with the media overkill. It was the same after Michael died, even I thought "enough already" with the media coverage about him but that's just how the media works. They hype things up only to tear it down afterwards. I reckon it won't be long before the tabloids start reporting about Will & Kate's alleged "marital problems" :yawn:

What did you guys think of Princess Beatrice's hat? :toofunny:

Princess-Beatrice-The-Royal-Wedding-Hat-02-2011-04-29.jpg

Princess-Beatrice15.jpg

I think shes really pretty..but im sorry that hat just looks like a giant pretzel!

It does look like a pretzel, what was she thinking :lol:

Did you see Victoria Beckham's hat though? It looked like it was glued on her forehead lol :mello:

when I saw it,I thought OMG :swoon:
she is pregnant so how can she walk on them :bugeyed
sorry to get of topic...but I love your siggy,,that right there is one of my favorites shots in that whole video...:D

Nah, don't let the cynics on here fool you. There were over a million British people in London for the ceremony and a recent poll (shown on our news two days ago) said that 76% of the Brits support the monarchy. It's just the negative people that are always the loudest, as with anything ;)

I can also imagine why some people have become fed up with the media overkill. It was the same after Michael died, even I thought "enough already" with the media coverage about him but that's just how the media works. They hype things up only to tear it down afterwards. I reckon it won't be long before the tabloids start reporting about Will & Kate's alleged "marital problems" :yawn:

:punk: Yeah everyone I know here was watching it, excited and proud that our traditions were getting a bit (ok a lot) of attention! It was a great day and have been discussing with friends all over the country (even those who are very anti monarchy I know thought it was brilliant!)

Victoria Beckham loves heels. I cannot even imagine her wearing flats to go to the wedding. If she had to, she would have a heart attack, LOL

What an exaggeration. I browse the net, look at the news, haven't been bombarded with anything except misery, violence and bad news, day in and day out, year after year. There's no escaping that, ever. So calm yourself, a happy story is over now and you survived the media! :yes:

Easy to say coming from a person who actually wanted to watch the wedding. And I love it how people keep saying that this is an escape from all the constant bad news. Whatever! What planet are you living on? The news doesn't focus on the things that actually matter. It's always froth like this, Lindsay Lohan, or "The man with the golden voice". The news SHOULD focus on actual events that affects our lives. Instead, they spend months talking about a boring wedding to earn lots of $$$ and ignore the real issues like the war and natural disasters. They should haves spent all that camera time and money on helping Japan and the Midwest. Whatever floats your boat, but your statement couldn't be any further from the truth. The media is nothing but a distraction from the real issues. So please, speak for yourself next time. It's fine that some wanted and did enjoy the wedding, but for people like me there should have been an option to opt out. There wasn't. No matter what I did, it was everywhere 24/7 and that's no exaggeration. There is no denying that. And if you do, you're a liar. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Yes, Princess Diana is missed and I'm sure everyone at the Abbey thought about her when saw William walking down the aisle with Kate.

Easy to say coming from a person who actually wanted to watch the wedding. And I love it how people keep saying that this is an escape from all the constant bad news. Whatever! What planet are you living on? The news doesn't focus on the things that actually matter. It's always froth like this, Lindsay Lohan, or "The man with the golden voice". The news SHOULD focus on actual events that affects our lives. Instead, they spend months talking about a boring wedding to earn lots of $$$ and ignore the real issues like the war and natural disasters. They should haves spent all that camera time and money on helping Japan and the Midwest. Whatever floats your boat, but your statement couldn't be any further from the truth. The media is nothing but a distraction from the real issues. So please, speak for yourself next time. It's fine that some wanted and did enjoy the wedding, but for people like me there should have been an option to opt out. There wasn't. No matter what I did, it was everywhere 24/7 and that's no exaggeration. There is no denying that. And if you do, you're a liar. Plain and simple.

It seems that your news channels only cover the 'froth'. What a shame. I feel for you.

You ask what planet I am living on? Well, the planet on which I live covers news affairs of the Middle East, Europe, the Schengen Accord discussions between France and Italy, Immigration issues, the Japanese disaster, the tornadoes in the South and so on. We who live here call it the real world. The Royal wedding was certainly among the stories but by no means was I bombarded by it. And if I am ever 'bombarded' by a story I do not like, I have the good sense and coordination to change the channel or turn off the story and read a good book.

Your comments are arrogant, sneering, demeaning, offensive and just plain rude. You do not know anything about me, my life, my interests or intentions. Do not presume to lecture someone you do not know about things you can only assume.

To call me a liar because I disagree with you is going too far.

It seems that your news channels only cover the 'froth'. What a shame. I feel for you.

You ask what planet I am living on? Well, the planet on which I live covers news affairs of the Middle East, Europe, the Schengen Accord discussions between France and Italy, Immigration issues, the Japanese disaster, the tornadoes in the South and so on. We who live here call it the real world. The Royal wedding was certainly among the stories but by no means was I bombarded by it. And if I am ever 'bombarded' by a story I do not like, I have the good sense and coordination to change the channel or turn off the story and read a good book.

Your comments are arrogant, sneering, demeaning, offensive and just plain rude. You do not know anything about me, my life, my interests or intentions. Do not presume to lecture someone you do not know about things you can only assume.

To call me a liar because I disagree with you is going too far.

Exactly. I do wonder where the hell Travis lives lol. Our news is quite predictable, it's always 1) natural disastors, 2) crime and 3) financial crisis. Celebrities are only discussed if something tragic or exceptional happens to them. Very rarely will you find anything pleasant on the news, so this royal wedding was a nice change for once. And apparently people are interested in this, considering the fact that 2 billion (!) watched the ceremony. If you are so bothered by it, just don't watch the news for a day and do something else, jeez. Nobody forced you to enter this thread and read about a topic you apparently despise so much. I wonder if you felt the same when MJ died and all coverage was about him 24/7? That was on a much bigger scale than this wedding.

Back