The MJJC July 13th 02 Vigil General Discussion From Page 36 [UPDATE: Post 1]

Re: The MJJC July 13th 02 Vigil General Discussion From Page 36

lets organise a nice quiet vigil where we can relax and chat about his music and watchi his concerts

And say goodbye properly. Some of us didn't get the closure we wanted so badly. At least if we kept it within this community we could release balloons without anyone snatching them away.

Exactly! How can you say goodbye to someone with all that going on? That's what got to me, we were supposed to be saying goodbye and I came away feeling that I still hadn't.

It felt like I was at an out of control "talent" contest.

WOW thats not right it should have been aotu respect for Michael

I feel for that poor girl that got the ballons taken off of her..i think that was disgusting.

Why was the balloons taken from her I dont understand?

Yep, I too was disgusted by what Navi was doing. Not the time or the place. And the way people were chasing him about was so ridiculous. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

That is not on I always thought Navi had more respect for Michael. Now I dont know what to think of him really. :(

Maybe we could try the o2 again on a night in august which would be one of his dates , take some candles , memorials and a dvd player and all sit round and watch dangerous?

I think I saw you, Healer2. Your balloon went off towards the scaffolding. You looked really bemused by the whole event.

Myself, although I love Michaels music, the part of him I was a fan of the most was his humanitarian side, his want to heal the world and the love he gave out so willingly, even when it meant others twisted that love into something dark and disturbing. BUT I would not say "I'm a bigger better fan" because we're all different.

me too, very much so.

Maybe we could try the o2 again on a night in august which would be one of his dates , take some candles , memorials and a dvd player and all sit round and watch dangerous?

I would suggest Michaels birthday but I'm guessing other things will be taking place?

I think perhaps gaz's idea of renting out a room somewhere is sensible...the 02 are going to get fed up of fans using it. Maybe use the room in the ledger building with the tv that some fans (including myself) gathered in yesterday afternoon. We could meet somewhere that's easier to find first, then head over to West India Quay after and spend an evening there. Just an idea, i really liked it there, the staff were friendly and accommodating and i think it could work! Am willing to help organise something too if needed :)

I think I saw you, Healer2. Your balloon went off towards the scaffolding. You looked really bemused by the whole event.

You're right, I turned up there watching it all feeling thoroughly depressed by it all. I thought it was going to be something soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more different, quiet, time to reflect but nope.

One of the guys in our group said to me, "Are you okay?" I said "No."

When we were at the Ledger building a group of us were chatting and at one point I was going to stay overnight at a hostel so I could be part of this within the early hours, instead watching this all with disdain I decided to leave about 10:30.

Yep I was with Gary at the time, and didnt see anyone else with balloons and what with the spectacle on stage and people who didnt show the respect I knew that people on here who unfortunately couldnt make it would have done

At that point I was so fed up I just thought "I have to have some kind of closure." seeing it wasnt going to happen on stage so I just let the balloon go in my way to say goodbye :(.

You know i don't know if am wrong but i felt there were a lot of Sudden fans!! who were just there for the fun of it, all those people whop were on stage chanting his name...it just didn't feel right....

You're right, I turned up there watching it all feeling thoroughly depressed by it all. I thought it was going to be something soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more different, quiet, time to reflect but nope.

One of the guys in our group said to me, "Are you okay?" I said "No."

When we were at the Ledger building a group of us were chatting and at one point I was going to stay overnight at a hostel so I could be part of this within the early hours, instead watching this all with disdain I decided to leave about 10:30.

Yep I was with Gary at the time, and didnt see anyone else with balloons and what with the spectacle on stage and people who didnt show the respect I knew that people on here who unfortunately couldnt make it would have done

At that point I was so fed up I just thought "I have to have some kind of closure." seeing it wasnt going to happen on stage so I just let the balloon go in my way to say goodbye :(.

That was very moving.

ok this might sound abit crazy, dont shoot me down for this its just an idea, but maybe later on we could do a forum meeting and do somthing mike would of loved to do/have done wile he was in london like go to london zoo or a theme park like thorp park/chessington // i would of thought he would of loved to take the kids there (even tho he would probally enjoy it the most :lol:) and more then likely Mike will be there with us (in spirit of course) as he wouldnt want to miss it

Im glad you agree with me. Cos our little group (balloon lot) felt like we were alone in this! I think mjjc will have to do our own little one, where we can all be together without the "performers"!

Thats exactly what we did the day after. We all sat around in our own little groups in reflection for a few hours till we all started to introduce ourselves and come together. Then as night fell we all lit candles in a heart shape around the flowers on the "stage", held hands and sang together. Had a moment of silence at his time of death and just comforted each other. It was emotional and beautiful. Sure we had a lil celebration where we sang more upbeat songs, but it was together when everyone was ready!

I was hoping it would be like that today but on a larger scale, but there was just too many people with different ideas...maybe we can make it happen a different day...

Sigh its a shame it wasn't but we should defo do an MJJC one...

oohhhhh that means i will get to see them as im going down july 16th :D

but you know what, even if they remove them, i think people are still going to continue laying things
Yeah your right on the cnn article it said its just going to be moved and put outside the box office whatever that is.. so yeah they can try to remove it but will be hard people will keep building...

Can't wait for an MJJC only get together!
same :)

ok this might sound abit crazy, dont shoot me down for this its just an idea, but maybe later on we could do a forum meeting and do somthing mike would of loved to do/have done wile he was in london like go to london zoo or a theme park like thorp park/chessington // i would of thought he would of loved to take the kids there (even tho he would probally enjoy it the most :lol:) and more then likely Mike will be there with us (in spirit of course) as he wouldnt want to miss it

London zoo
that would be a lot of fun.....
or yeah a theme park
but i think the zoo would be good fun with the animals and then its also nice place to just sit and chat...

omg go to thorpe park !!!
it is sooooooooooooo fun
(plus i have vouchers for there - cheapskate i know right haha :p)
but the rides there are awesome, they arebetter than chessington :D

I was there...I too feel like I haven't said goodbye. I was quite shocked when we got there how loud and rowdy it was. I thought people would be sitting and talking and reminiscing. I thought it might have just been for a while but it carried on the whole time. I would have liked to have signed the wall and read through the messages etc but it was impossible with the loud music and people stomping all over the stage and everything. The atmosphere was all wrong for that kind of thing pushing and chanting and shouting. If you sat down you had to be careful you weren't trodden on! I know people deal with things differently, but the people that went for closure and to have a quiet time weren't catered for really. The o2 didn't do much either, which was disappointing. There was a lot of things that just weren't right to me. It got nicer the later it got, people mellowed out a bit and sat and sang to his music. It was sad and surreal. I'm glad I went, I needed to do something to deal with yesterday and what it meant. I'm so gutted today...I just feel so empty now knowing everything is just over and that he is gone. Awful. I took a lot of photo's and video's, I will post them later. People from here I met were lovely, sad I couldn't make it to the clubhouse. Hopefully in the future we can maybe arrange something just for people from here?

EDIT: @Gaz - thankyou for everything you did. That would be amazing if you could rent a building or something. Then I might finally feel the closure I'm so desperate to have that I thought yesterday would bring. :(

I totally agree with everything you said. I have only got the chance this afternoon to see what people thought of last night and I am pleased to see I wasn't the only one who went home feeling a little deflated and like I hadn't really got the chance to say goodbye.

The flowers and tributes people left were so touching and I managed to get a few photos to remember the love that was being spread in memory of Michael. I didn't really have any problem with the impersonators - maybe they were just celebrating MJ in their own way, but the farce on the stage was a bit disappointing. For a sad day when we would have just liked to have said goodbye it seemed that there were a lot of rowdy people more interested in getting their picture in the press than wanting to pay their respects.

That said, I'm still glad I went just to see all the other people who cared so much about Michael. I've been really shocked by all the haters lately and to see other people that were also sad to lose him meant something to me. Also thanks to Gaz for everything.

loyalmjfan - I totally understand how you feel. I said to all my friends before I went that I'm going to stay til it ends. (Thinking it was a "vigil", in the true sense of the word.) I couldn't hack it any longer at 10.00 :(

just back home after been at the 02 till 1.30 this morning. knackered to say the least. nice 3.5 hr drive home

went to the ledger first, real nice atmosphere. hats off the ballons guys and girls in the side room nice touch although not sure where they all went at the 02 lol was great to meet up with all my hotel buddies and new friends aswell. it was a great comfort. u all know who u are. love u guys. going into the actual 02 was nightmare for me. seeing the spot where the press conference happened killed me inside as its the only time iv ever been in there. u cant describe the injustice of it all.

the 02 was abit weird. tbh we werent there for a party as some fans seemed to think it was. this wasnt being outside mjs hotel. this was about being in tears as you saw the dome and saw friends for the first time since its happened. i dunno alot of ppl said to me they didnt recognise half the ppl there. seemed maybe it was abit of fun for alot. maybe there are fans of mj the musican and there are fans of mj the person. the ppl who have met mj and had contact with him over many years even if it was just little contacts at hotels or experiences you had with him on a one on one manner. many of these fans just sat on the wall at the side watching the "party" and alot were really not happy about it. hoping those ppl would go so others could actualy morn and start to light all or candels as we did when it got dark. i creid a few times that night hurt that i lost someone i loved and what we should have experienced that evening if justice had been done. seemed it was more bout getting pictures of the memorial board than looking at all the flowerd as i did with tears straming down my face for some. i dunno each to their own

and now we hear about phillips plans for the 29th august. i dunno i think some will prefer to have their own vigils

just back home after been at the 02 till 1.30 this morning. knackered to say the least. nice 3.5 hr drive home

went to the ledger first, real nice atmosphere. hats off the ballons guys and girls in the side room nice touch although not sure where they all went at the 02 lol was great to meet up with all my hotel buddies and new friends aswell. it was a great comfort. u all know who u are. love u guys. going into the actual 02 was nightmare for me. seeing the spot where the press conference happened killed me inside as its the only time iv ever been in there. u cant describe the injustice of it all.

the 02 was abit weird. tbh we werent there for a party as some fans seemed to think it was. this wasnt being outside mjs hotel. this was about being in tears as you saw the dome and saw friends for the first time since its happened. i dunno alot of ppl said to me they didnt recognise half the ppl there. seemed maybe it was abit of fun for alot. maybe there are fans of mj the musican and there are fans of mj the person. the ppl who have met mj and had contact with him over many years even if it was just little contacts at hotels or experiences you had with him on a one on one manner. many of these fans just sat on the wall at the side watching the "party" and alot were really not happy about it. hoping those ppl would go so others could actualy morn and start to light all or candels as we did when it got dark. i creid a few times that night hurt that i lost someone i loved and what we should have experienced that evening if justice had been done. seemed it was more bout getting pictures of the memorial board than looking at all the flowerd as i did with tears straming down my face for some. i dunno each to their own

and now we hear about phillips plans for the 29th august. i dunno i think some will prefer to have their own vigils

Pretty much my thoughts exactly...

I went to the O2 around 5 pm yesterday...and saw all the cheery people on stage dancing and shouting and cheering and giggling and it just felt weird. I just felt completely lost and "ourt of place" because I started sobbing already on my way to O2 when I heard people talk about MJ and because all I could think iof was that just 4 months ago I had been there and had been SO HAPPY. Happier than I had been in YEARS. And now I am going there to basically say goodbye to someone who meant so much to me. I was just absolutely heartbroken and not in a cheery mood, and I wasn't expecting to go to a "carnival". I understand that people are going to do what they need to do and everyone is different and if some feel like "celebrating his life"...fine. But what disgusted me, to be honest, was seeing all these people I had never seen before at any MJ events, on stage, in front of all the cameras, "singing" Eart Song. Many of them didn't even know the lyrics and most of them were just giggling and making fun of the "aaaah ooooh" part and it just made me sick. IF you need to sing and be on stage and "celebrate", at least be RESPECTFUL about it and not giggle and make it a comedy. It just sickened me. Made me feel really bad. And like many others said....you could find all teh peopel who you'd meet at MJ's hotels and events at the back, far away from that crazy "stage crowd". I think the most BIZARRE moment was when the people on stage told everone to hold hands, and I thought "Okay...finally a nice moment...respecting Michael and his legacy and what he was about"....and then they are playing PYT!!! Truly a "WTF?????!!!!" moment!! :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: I was like "Are they serious? I can hold hands but I ain't holding hands to PYT, I mean WTF???!!" :doh: I just felt really lost, and I held on to my flowers and banners for hours because I didn't feel like going to where "that crowd" was...it didn't feel right to have my banners where they were. Sorry if it offends anyone in case someone was there....but it just wasn't for me. I'm so glad I met people I actually knew too so that I could be with someone who understands and didn't have to feel alone.

We went away from the "circus" after a while and wanted to "wait until they go away" or until things get quiet so that we can have our vigil then. But when we came back it was pretty much the same. So we just did the ballooon thing on our own and tried to "do our thing". We wanted to get on stage later on to release balloons again at MJ's time of death to have a moment of silence for him and to think about him....but they didn't let us on stage. It just really felt some people were just there to make it "their show"...just made me sad. And it's sad that everyone was not given a chance to do what they need to do. The "cheery people" were having their circus for hours, it would have been nice if they coudl have given us even just 15 minutes of silence or even just something that would have been more like a vigil. Then when FINALLY teh ones on stage started playing the "right kind of songs"...and peopel were holding up candles...peopel at teh back started playing dance songs and cheering and I just thought "You gotta be kidding me??!!" and after a while I had enough, so I just walked through the crowd in the middle of that circle and PLEAED them to give us at least just 5 or ten minutes of "silence". I was like "PLEASE....could you stop the music even for just 5 or 10 minutes....everyone is singing for Michael...PLEASE" and I was almost crying because I just felt so bad. And surprisingly enough they did stop the music and joined everyone in holding candles and in the singing. That really amazed me, because honestly, I was expecting a lot of "oh go eff yourself we'll do what we wanna do" or them just blasting the music as soon as I left. But they did turn it off without any arguments so I thought that was really nice of them. So whoever that was in that group. Thank you so much for respecting our wishes and turning the music off. That was really nice of you.

What made me sad though was that I had come to the vigil to get "closure"...and as I told the wonderful little group of people I was able to hang out with (while sobbing away and barely being able to talk) when we were leaving, was that it felt so bad because I came there pretty much to "say goodbye to Michael"....but it felt more like I came to some "carnival" or a "circus" where there were people just making it "their show" and almost "hijacking" the place...so it felt I wasn't really able to get "closure" and it felt bad to leave that place like that. And it felt so bad especially, because I wanted to pretty much literally pay my last RESPECTS to Michael...and it felt it was just a total circus and carnival there. So sad.

Anyways...I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the group of peopel I was allowed to hang out with and who really made it a vigil for me and who really made me feel welcomed and who understood what I feel. I felt so lost at first, but being able to be with you guys really comforted me and to be able to be aroudn people who I was around when I last saw MJ in teh very same place as well, felt really good and it was just what I needed. So that being said...

Thank you Maya (you're such a sweet girl!!! *huuuggggsssss*), Andy, Benji, PrettyYoungThing,Pez, Kim, Katr2000, Motsey and those in the group whose names I didn't catch (the guy in the white shirt and someone's mom)...THANK YOU SO MUCH that I was allowed to be with you guys!! I am so sorry that I was sobbing every two minutes and sounded like Mickey Mouse when I talked because I had to cry most of the time because I just felt so sad...but that you so much for being so nice and understanding. You guys really made it a vigil for me and it felt so good to be aroudn you guys. So thank you so much!!!

And Motsey....thank you so much for the ballooons!!! It was such a great idea and it was so selfless of you to do it for free. That's why I wanted to pay you for the ballooons because you were so nice and not trying to rip anyone off. I can't believe you didn't want to take any money!! But I really commend you for doing it for free. You coudl have chosen to make money out of the situation, but you chose to be a nice person and do it without trying to rip anyone off. MICHAEL WOULD HAVE BEEN PROUD OF YOU and it's fans like you that are real fans!!! So thank you again and you can be proud of yourself!! It was great to meet you!!

Thank you also to everone I met....Hoofmark (thank you so much for comforting me and helping me with the banners!!), SpunkyFunky, Moonstreet, Lorraine, Londonfan, Afifa and Gary. Was nice to meet you all, even though I wish the circumstances would have been different!!

Elusive, sorry I missed you...Were you with moonstreet? I didn't see you! :(

Last edited:

I am glad there is going to be anthor chance, because I was unable to go on the 13th July. I think its also a good idea to make it for mjjc members only it makes it more person I think

yeah i missed u summer. yeah i was with moonstreet and others but we spent most of our time sat on the wall at the side instead of getting involved in the "party"

great post. and btw who was the guy on stage with blonde dreds who did the "presenting"

great post. and btw who was the guy on stage with blonde dreds who did the "presenting"

a loudmouth who obviously didn't know a lot about Michael other than his name, hence the constant "let's all chant MICHAEL.....JACKSON"

I have pretty much the same sentiments as most people on here about the vigil. What transpired was certainly not what I expected and I was quite disappointed in what I was seeing.

The stage crowd were in it for themselves and nothing made that more clear than when our request to release the balloons at the time of MJ's passing was denied.

I am brand new to these forums but have been a fan for my entire life. I met such a lot of nice people from this forum and twitter last night and I only wish I had got to know you sooner. I may not say much, but knowing you were all there, and being with true fans who love and respect Michael meant more to me than anything else. So thank you to you all.

The Magic of Michael will always live on through his music and though his fans.

man, I wish now that I had the courage to go up and talk to people that were sitting on the wall, it seems all of us that were unhappy ended up there! I can't actually remember when I ever felt so lonely as last night, thankfully I persuaded my husband to come up and meet me and then it was easier.

Here here!! I refuse to attend anything that they organise in the wake of this.

I doubt I will be going to any organised events as such, after yesterday. Not just because of how yesterday transpired, I just don't feel like doing anything of the sort anymore. EXCEPT for quiet and peaceful meetings, perhaps an MJJC-only event, and it would have to be somewhere out of view, so it can't lose control. And it needs to be free, apart from food and extras.

Glad you had a good time at the clubhouse anyway, Elusive.

Yeah Summer, there were many "WTF moments"! Oh well, what can we do if they don't GET IT. :doh:

I have NO IDEA. And call me really "prude" and "old fashioned" or whatever.....but what made me sick and extremely disappointed was when I saw him hold up a cigarette in one hand while yelling into his megaphone. That just looked so disrespectful to me. He was on stage in front of all these people....in a michael jackson VIGIL....and he is acting like he is putting up a show in a pub. I don't care if people smoke, but there's a time and a place for everything and gosh....have some manners!! I don't know...maybe I'm really "old fashioned" or something, but that just didn't look right. To me it was disrespectful. Call me prude. *shrugs*

We went away from the "circus" after a while and wanted to "wait until they go away" or until things get quiet so that we can have our vigil then. But when we came back it was pretty much the same.

Same here. I was naively thinking that when it got dark enough to hold a proper vigil that the "party" atmosphere would end. But no. At 10-ish I realised that if I was waiting for that I would have a very long wait, and I hadn't brought a jacket with me, so I would be better off in the warm hotel.

Just out of curiosity, when did the music stop, does anyone know? I mean, now I know what Michael meant once, when he said "As if I wanna hear my own music [being played in a nightclub etc.]" He wouldn't have liked this.

But I believe the true feelings for Michael from the people there, were felt somehow, higher up.

Theres a few people I was with at the clubhouse yesterday, we swapped email addresses and now we're on facebook.

I have a few other people who arent part of MJJC but were there.

I've been writing a new note about last night, on facebook, and have said bits like:

"For all of us on the site we would continously speculate about how great it was going to be, how there would be balloons for US!"

"Excitement grew and people from America and beyond especially bought tickets just to be part of an event that was supposed to pay the utmost respect to the King Of Pop."

And this changes to:

"Coming out of the station and all five of us, sturdy and steadfast we made our way to the 02, and at that point a wave of unsettling nausea started to slowly swarm over us, as we sensed something had gone terribly wrong...."

I have NO IDEA. And call me really "prude" and "old fashioned" or whatever.....but what made me sick and extremely disappointed was when I saw him hold up a cigarette in one hand while yelling into his megaphone. That just looked so disrespectful to me. He was on stage in front of all these people....in a michael jackson VIGIL....and he is acting like he is putting up a show in a pub. I don't care if people smoke, but there's a time and a place for everything and gosh....have some manners!! I don't know...maybe I'm really "old fashioned" or something, but that just didn't look right. To me it was disrespectful. Call me prude. *shrugs*

Actually people could probably call me a prude too, at one point I was quietly sitting to one side when a bunch of noisy giggling girls/women came and practically sat in my lap, each had a bottle of wine in one hand and a pack of cigarettes in the other and procceded to blow smoke all over me whilst ringing their mates and yelling "you gotta come up ere it's a laugh" etc. If you want to smoke, that's fine but must you do it in my face? lol

Back