The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

In one of his addresses to readers, Isaac Asimov (author of the story The Bicentennial Man) formulated the humanistic role of science fiction in the modern world as follows: "History has reached a point where mankind is no longer allowed to feud. People on Earth must become friends. I have always tried to emphasize this in my works... I don't think it is possible to make all people love each other, but I would like to destroy hatred between people. And I believe quite seriously that science fiction is one of the links that help to connect humanity. The problems we raise in science fiction become the urgent problems of all humanity... The science fiction writer, the science fiction reader, science fiction itself serves humanity"

Such a calm optimistic approach, based on cooperation between humans and artificial intelligence. And confidence that this technology will develop. Indeed, the advances in AI development right now are astounding. For me, what AI is doing with voice imitation was surprising and completely unexpected.
Ngl, AI frightens the bejesus out of me although I do often read stories about it which are much more positive. I suppose it will be like any other human invention. There will be positive uses and some very negative uses and we will have to wait and see which one outweighs the other.

I've never read Asimov so I didn't know he was well known for having talked and written about AI ages ago.

In one of his addresses to readers, Isaac Asimov (author of the story The Bicentennial Man) formulated the humanistic role of science fiction in the modern world as follows: "History has reached a point where mankind is no longer allowed to feud. People on Earth must become friends. I have always tried to emphasize this in my works... I don't think it is possible to make all people love each other, but I would like to destroy hatred between people.
I think this is a really wise statement.

And I believe quite seriously that science fiction is one of the links that help to connect humanity. The problems we raise in science fiction become the urgent problems of all humanity... The science fiction writer, the science fiction reader, science fiction itself serves humanity"
SF has never worked for me but this comment is very thought provoking.

Are you kidding me?
IKR! Cheshire Art Gallery is presenting him as completely legit but it does seem hardly possible. Looks so much like a photo. I don't want to be damning the guy with faint praise. It is a lovely piece of work. But it did addle my brain.

it represents a bug lol
kid-guilty.gif

IKR! Cheshire Art Gallery is presenting him as completely legit but it does seem hardly possible. Looks so much like a photo. I don't want to be damning the guy with faint praise. It is a lovely piece of work. But it did addle my brain.
He does seem to draw only city landscapes. But he does it incredibly well!

2e8701db-5dcb-4431-9b98-e535b5974eda.jpg

A rainy day in Bradford.

What a nice word! Does it mean "challenge"?

He does seem to draw only city landscapes. But he does it incredibly well!
I noticed that but I get where he's coming from. I wonder if he's from a working class background. Bc these sort of street scenes are not normally the subject of drawings or paintings. You would expect to see a sprinkling in an exhibition that was publicised as 'gritty' and 'urban'. Or there might be the occasional reprint of a photo, perhaps from the 1930's, from the Hulton Picture Archives or the Mary Evans Picture Library. But mostly these scenes, these neighbourhoods, these buildings don't really get much attention. He likes his streets to be empty. The focus really is the buildings, the streets, not so much the people who lived there.

A rainy day in Bradford.
That's a lovely piece of work. Beautiful texture.

9879e7dd-7838-4df7-a5b0-8739e9584661.jpg

A bit of a cumbersome title, perhaps: Steps Leading from Wellington Row beneath Lendal Bridge to the River Ouse York.
Mm. And, actually, a slightly less successful effort, imo. Maybe his metier was the streets where the working class people lived. He seems to be better at capturing the essence of those places.

What a nice word! Does it mean "challenge"?
It means I was confused. Addled is slang. Say I'm having a moment where I'm all disorganised and all over the place I might say, 'I was that addled I couldn't (blah blah)' or 'I was that addled it made no sense to me'.

Addled. Discombobulated. Confused. It doesn't mean stupid. It's just, y'know ... can't think straight.

Sometimes Manhood addles my brain, lol.

Ngl, AI frightens the bejesus out of me although I do often read stories about it which are much more positive. I suppose it will be like any other human invention. There will be positive uses and some very negative uses and we will have to wait and see which one outweighs the other.
Oh, yes! There's always the question of how that power will be used. What happens if the AI is in the wrong hands.

I've never read Asimov so I didn't know he was well known for having talked and written about AI ages ago.
That was new to me, too. Now rewatching the movie The Bicentennial Man, 1999)))) Interesting, but it touches so naive now.....

Back