The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

Woah, woah, woah! App, app, app – sakta i backarna! Flexflaxa och håll i hatten! This highlights an important difference between German and Swedish use of the word. I suspected this when earlier you said that it’s a friendly shove. And by all means, the Swedish word can be used for that, too. But with the Swedish word, you can, for instance, “knuffa någon framför tåget” (push somebody in front of an incoming train), which of course isn’t particularly friendly.

And now this "knuffig”! If we were to use such an adjective, it would be for a Kindergarten bully.

I think our (deutsche) “knuffig” ought to be (schwedische) “kramig:” someone who needs to be hugged or can’t help but hug.

By the way, do you also have “kivig” (adj.)/“kiva” (verb)? It’s often used for petty quarrels. “Sluta kivas!” (It’s one of those soft ‘k’ words.)

We have a word (regional slang/ dialect) "Hört auf euch zu käbbeln/kabbeln!" "Stop annoying each other / stop quarreling!"

"Kabbelei" (noun) = Quarrel

We have a word (regional slang/ dialect) "Hört auf euch zu käbbeln/kabbeln!" "Stop annoying each other / stop quarreling!"

"Kabbelei" (noun) = Quarrel
Käbbla! WE HAVE THAT, TOO!!!!

wtf-wtf-is-going-on.gif

Öl = Bier!
Hence the saying "Das geht runter wie Öl" 😂 We use it for the the feeling when receiving a compliment => That goes down like oil

@zinniabooklover Do you have this saying, or am I just doing a literal translation here. I faintly remember something along those lines ...
@Agonum What is your proverb for this?

Wort = word
Satz = sentence
Reim = rhyme
Buchstabe = letter
Brief = letter ✉️
Text = text
Zeitung = newspaper
tabloids = Regenbogenpresse, Boulevardpresse
schreiben = to write
tippen = to type

Hence the saying "Das geht runter wie Öl" 😂 We use it for the the feeling when receiving a compliment => That goes down like oil

@zinniabooklover Do you have this saying, or am I just doing a literal translation here. I faintly remember something along those lines ...
I haven't followed your convo with Agonum so I don't know what the context is here. We have a saying, 'Well, that went down like a lead balloon.' Say a person held a dinner party and it didn't go well. After the guests leave, the person is doing the washing up with their partner, they might say, in reference to the dreadful dinner party, 'Well, that went down like a lead balloon.'

Or do you mean, something is going down easily?

'She swallowed the story whole' = meaning she didn't question what she was told, just accepted it
'A hard pill to swallow' = for example, if there is an economy drive at your workplace and your departmental budget has to be cut. You understand the economic argument but, it's still hard to take.

OK, I'm floundering here. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :ROFLMAO:

Found this video, watched a tiny fragment, am none the wiser. It's approx 5 mins.

I just googled him ... had no idea he existed 😳

A man of WORDS for sure!
Ein Mann von Wort!
🙂

Still waiting for historians around the world to acknowldge female roles in history, though, because we were there, too! *sigh*
There's two things for me. The women and parts of the world that are not Europe. Or the 'West'.

Even now, in 2024, it's not unusual to see Gutenburg referred to as the person who invented printing. Printing techniques were being used in China approx 800 CE. Movable type was being used in Korea perhaps 2 centuries after that. Gutenburg certainly made a significant contribution to the development of printing and was one of the most - if not the most - influential European in popularising printing and book publishing. And nowadays there is information about this on the web, thankfully. But it's still not widely accepted or known or written about in msm.

And, yes, the women. Still not quite part of the story even after all the academic work that's been done in recent years. There's progress but, god, it's slow. 🙄

And now I will cease to 'tippen' :ROFLMAO:

I haven't followed your convo with Agonum so I don't know what the context is here. We have a saying, 'Well, that went down like a lead balloon.' Say a person held a dinner party and it didn't go well. After the guests leave, the person is doing the washing up with their partner, they might say, in reference to the dreadful dinner party, 'Well, that went down like a lead balloon.'

Or do you mean, something is going down easily?

Yes, we use it when receiving a flattering compliment. As in: Oh, thanks for the compliment, das geht runter wie Öl (that makes me feel good)

@Agonum What is your proverb for this?
Tricky question, that. I’m trying to come up with what it is we say in those situations.

“Som balsam för själen” (like conditioner for the soul) might be fitting?

How strictly is your Bier-Proverb a response for receiving compliments?

Wort = word
Satz = sentence
Reim = rhyme
Buchstabe = letter
Brief = letter ✉️
Text = text
Zeitung = newspaper
tabloids = Regenbogenpresse, Boulevardpresse
schreiben = to write
tippen = to type
Love Zeitung!!

(Which might be because I associate it with 19th century scientific journals.)

About that Swedish proverb request of yours. I might also say “det där föll mig på läpparna!” (that there fell on my lips), meaning that something has delighted me.

Wort = word = ord
Satz = sentence = mening
Reim = rhyme = rim
Buchstabe = letter = bokstav
Brief = letter = brev (Brief/brev isn’t really optimal, when you consider the etymology (lat. brevis ‘short, brief’); if you, for example, happen to always write awfully long letters, it seems quite unfitting.)
Text = text = text
Zeitung = newspaper = tidning
tabloids = Regenbogenpresse, Boulevardpresse = skvallerpress
schreiben = to write = att skriva
tippen = to type = skriva (we could say “maskinskriva,” but more often than not we don’t bother)

shorthand (writing) = stenografera
erase (writing) = sudda
color (verb) = färglägga
sketch (verb) = skissa
alphabet (noun) = alfabet
vowel = vokal
consonant = konsonant

“Då Fantomen rör sig står blixten stilla” (gammalt djungelordspråk)

Back