the ruined temple outside, whose eyes
wept pus, whose back was higher
than his head, whose lopsided mouth
said Grazie in a voice as sweet
as a child’s when she speaks to her mother
or a bird’s when it spoke
to St Francis.

He describes this handicapped or old man so lovingly 😭
There's so much I want to say about this.

Me and Agonum posted 4 poems between us and I am still engaged with them. This is all I need for now. I did go to look for a volume of his poetry bc I prefer to read things off the page. I hate reading stuff on-screen. The shop didn't have him (wth?) so I'm making do with what we've put on the thread. It's more than enough for now. Just this bit here you've quoted, this could keep me going all next week.

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.
(John Donne, 1624, Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, and severall steps in my Sicknes)​

I do love John Donne and I do love that poem but I like this much better:

(you can always rely on me to shatter the mood, lol)

Boomtown Rats / Lookin' After No.1

3m 8s

Did he moonwalk there near the end? 😂

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.
(John Donne, 1624, Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, and severall steps in my Sicknes)​
Sorry. I meant sermon! 🙄

There's so much I want to say about this.

Me and Agonum posted 4 poems between us and I am still engaged with them. This is all I need for now. I did go to look for a volume of his poetry bc I prefer to read things off the page. I hate reading stuff on-screen. The shop didn't have him (wth?) so I'm making do with what we've put on the thread. It's more than enough for now. Just this bit here you've quoted, this could keep me going all next week.

True! Whole poetry books or collected works almost intimidate me. lol. A poem is always so dense, and I almost feel like reading too much at a time will make me nauseous like eating too much Schwarzwälder chocolate cake 😁😉

Did he moonwalk there near the end? 😂
Time stamp? If you mean the 2m 38s bit I would say no. He is very busy channelling Mick Jagger and it's hilarious to see that. But I'm not seeing a moonwalk, tbh. Yes, a sort of backward sliding. Possibly. But I wouldn't call it a moonwalk. 🤷‍♀️

He foreshadowed BREXIT lol 🙁

True! Whole poetry books or collected works almost intimidate me. lol. A poem is always so dense, and I almost feel like reading too much at a time will make me nauseous like eating too much Schwarzwälder chocolate cake 😁😉
oh gosh! Here we go again, lol. I don't like chocolate cake so I'm posting this for you. And possibly for @Fuzball 🤣

SC_170528_SchwarzwaelderKirsch.jpg

Okay, I am silly now, but What if ... you add aone letter to John Donne, and this would be a perfect description of a narcicisstic (spelling? o_O) person lol

Norman is an Iland, intire of it selfe

Thank you!

Sure, you won't have a bite? It's delicious.
Just cannot stand chocolate cake. And I'm not very cake-y at the best of times. I'll eat the occasional ginger biscuit. I prefer a McVitie's digestive biscuit (plain). But I prefer no biscuit at all, tbh. And no cake!

One of my fave poems.

This Poem is Dangerous by Elma Mitchell​

This poem is dangerous: it should not be left
Within the reach of children, or even of adults
Who might swallow it whole, with possibly
Undesirable side-effects. If you come across
An unattended, unidentified poem
In a public place, do not attempt to tackle it
Yourself. Send it (preferably, in a sealed container)
To the nearest centre of learning, where it will be rendered
Harmless, by experts. Even the simplest poem
May destroy your immunity to human emotions.
All poems must carry a Government warning. Words
Can seriously affect your heart.
@bluemoon7

You might have seen this already but, if not, here's a bit of C20 Scottish poetry you might like. :)

Back