The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

Is hail a verb here? I don´t understand the poem :(
Even as I was typing out that little poem I was pretty sure it wasn't a great choice. So, my apologies. :ROFLMAO:

Hail has two meanings. 'Hail from' means to come from or to have been born in a particular place. It doesn't get used much these days but it's not completely obsolete. That's why the poet used it. So you could live in London and be having the inevitable conversation about where you were originally from and, depending on who you were talking to and your age, you might say, 'oh, I originally hail from the North.' The other use of 'hail' is literally 'to hail a taxi'. To wave or call a taxi over in the street.

So Bilston is saying he's trying to 'hail' the taxi (wave the taxi over) all the way from Birmingham (in the Midlands, about 100 miles from London).

So that's my cumbersome explanation which is longer than the poem itself and I think we can all agree that I need to raise my game and make better choices in future. Or just avoid poetry altogether, lol.

Here's an idea. I'll just go back to posting photos of random sh!t. I'm good at that. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
@bluemoon7, this is you after reading the poem I posted. :D

Birmingham-Royal-Ballet-Swan-Lake-230216-1.jpg

Even as I was typing out that little poem I was pretty sure it wasn't a great choice. So, my apologies. :ROFLMAO:

Hail has two meanings. 'Hail from' means to come from or to have been born in a particular place. It doesn't get used much these days but it's not completely obsolete. That's why the poet used it. So you could live in London and be having the inevitable conversation about where you were originally from and, depending on who you were talking to and your age, you might say, 'oh, I originally hail from the North.' The other use of 'hail' is literally 'to hail a taxi'. To wave or call a taxi over in the street.

So Bilston is saying he's trying to 'hail' the taxi (wave the taxi over) all the way from Birmingham (in the Midlands, about 100 miles from London).

So that's my cumbersome explanation which is longer than the poem itself and I think we can all agree that I need to raise my game and make better choices in future. Or just avoid poetry altogether, lol.

Here's an idea. I'll just go back to posting photos of random sh!t. I'm good at that. :ROFLMAO:
Ohhhhhh, now I get it 😭 :love: Thank you for explaining!

@zinniabooklover Since you love ballet ... this version of Dance of the Little Swans is just too adorable! The youtuber/dancer Tio Choko and the gorgeous ballerina Meghan Magoun

Oh, this is all for fun, though :)

Last edited:

“Bördig från” (sometimes also “härstämmande från”) we say in Sweden.

Plurr
Skvätt
Knarr
Duns
Plask
Smask
Harkel
Knäck
Knack
Mummel
Knak

“Bördig från” (sometimes also “härstämmande från”) we say in Sweden.
:D

stamme von = I derive from (a tribe, for example, or your family/ancestors) Example: Ich stamme von einer Bauernfamilie ab = I come from a farmers family

stamme aus / komme aus = from a place (geographical)

German "Stamm" can mean

a tree trunk = "Baumstamm"
a tribe = "ein Stamm"
stem of a word = "Wortstamm"

hope I didn´t forget anything ...

:D

stamme von = I derive from (a tribe, for example, or your family/ancestors) Example: Ich stamme von einer Bauernfamilie ab = I come from a farmers family

stamme aus / komme aus = from a place (geographical)
Surely you have “bördig,” too. The Swedish word is a borrowing from German ‘bordich,’ according to my sources.

German "Stamm" can mean

a tree trunk = "Baumstamm"
a tribe = "ein Stamm"
stem of a word = "Wortstamm"

hope I didn´t forget anything ...
When you stutter? That’s “att stamma” in Swedish.

All the above meanings for ‘stam’ (N.B.: one ‘m’) we have in Sweden as well.

Surely you have “bördig,” too. The Swedish word is a borrowing from German ‘bordich,’ according to my sources.

mmhhh, bordich may be an earlier form of a moder word.

"Börde" is a form of landscape in Germany (wavy, low hills)

Yes, yes, we have "stammern" or "stottern"
That’s so sadistic, that word, because if you’re actually suffering from stuttering, that is a typical word for you to stutter! Same with the word “dyslexi” and people with dyslexia. There are more… 🤔

Mittelhochdeutsch? That is an old form of German between 1050 und 1350

but neder? nieder?

EDIT: Mittelnierderdeutsch, a form of Mittelhochdeutsch! :eek::ROFLMAO:
medel = mittel = middle
neder = nieder? = lower?
låg = ? = low

Medellågtyska är den lågtyska som talades under medeltiden (cirka 1100 till 1600).

Högtyska är en form av tyska som talades i de mellersta och södra delarna av Tyskland. Antonym: Lågtyska.

hqdefault.jpg

Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Up = north
Down = south

Back