The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

This reminds me of gonks which were really big in the UK back in the day. We called them gonks or trolls, lol. I didn't like them so never bought any. People liked to have them in the car.

Troll-figure-Dam-Things-The-Strong-Rochester-New-York.-1.jpg
We had those too

545788015_2026e2af-44cc-47be-9f43-7f7c2e6a4b51.jpg

(By the way, do you use a matchbox for size reference, too? Or is that just us?)

Amazing story of the couple,
Mm, the Protopopov's were one of my earliest loves in the skating world. So elegant. Brilliant, brilliant athletes. I believe he was 15 when he started to train as a skater which is pretty late and Ludmila started even later, at 16. 😲

Amazing what they both achieved. Starting as late as they did, I don't know how they developed that pure, classical line that they had.

with so many unique events and innovations.
They created three death spirals. I don't think I quite picked up on that at the time. Or maybe the commentators did mention it and I've just forgotten. It was a long time ago. I can remember exactly what they looked like when they skated, though.

And the special beauty and fluidity of their dance. 😍😍😍
They were so elegant and expressive. They weren't flashy. I guess their style wouldn't work nowadays but I loved them.

Last edited:
I adored Ludmilla Tourischeva back in the day, she will always be my fave gymnast. Amazing composure here even though she wasn't able to 'stick' her dismount bc of the apparatus collapsing behind her. She won the event, though! :D

40s

Why do we do it to ourselves?

Anyway, let's have a silly poem. Brian Bilston started off writing stuff on TwitterX and then got himself a publishing deal. Here's his poem for 6th December which, apparently, is the day that London - in 1897 - became the first city to license taxi cabs.

A Far Cry

I can never get a taxi
to stop for me in London.

Hardly a surprise, given
I hail from Birmingham.

Is hail a verb here? I don´t understand the poem :(

Back