the essential 3.0 new album

Cyrex.gif
Well I ain't that angry... a lil perplexed, but it's all good.

Both that and the Thriller mini-film need to be released as DVDs. :yes:

Ain't Ghosts released on DVD? I don't think it is.
Yep, Ghosts was not released for purchase in the US at all. It was shown in 10 theaters across the US for a week and then shown a few times on VH1 a few years later.

While they are at it, they need to release The Legend Continues on DVD!

Last edited:
Well it just has ONE new track released on CD for me ''Say Say Say'' But I hope that track will be on KOP - Dutch Collection...

new cd with rare tracks or demos ...this sounds good

Oh gosh... that tracklist is just awful!!:ph34r:
And I mean... AWFUL!!
The songs don't even fit there... terrible.

I just searched Amazon and Sony Music's website. there is no such thing as Essential 3.0

Just another made up story.

It's simple in the USA his 'Number Ones' CD is the best seller in his catalog and to avoid hurting those sales, they decided not to do a KOP 50th b-day cd as they are doing in other countries, instead they are going to delete the 2CD Essential set and this will replace that along with it's sales being added to the sales of the original Essential set. In short, SONY is working to pump up the sales of Essential since Number Ones will be double platinum by the end of the year and GH's vol.1 has already scanned a million they are aiming to work to get Essential part of that platinum group and with the original Essential already over 300k they figure with the additional cd it'll help the sales get to a million faster.

Last edited:
It's simple in the USA his 'Number Ones' CD is the best seller in his catalog and to avoid hurting those sales, they decided not to do a KOP 50th b-day cd as they are doing in other countries, instead they are going to delete the 2CD Essential set and this will replace that along with it's sales being added to the sales of the original Essential set. In short, SONY is working to pump up the sales of Essential since Number Ones will be double platinum by the end of the year and GH's vol.1 has already scanned a million they are aiming to work to get Essential part of that platinum group and with the original Essential already over 300k they figure with the additional cd it'll help the sales get to a million faster.

Hopefully that'll mean MJ get back his masters, this is some b.s. :lol:

I understand that Number Ones is doing well in the US and they don't want to hurt its sales by releasing KoP, but won't rereleasing 'The Essentials' do that anyway??
Couldn't they just repackage Number Ones slightly to acknowledge his birthday? Couldn't they just add a new (slightly modified design) cardboard sleeve to the original packaging, which could mention that it's his 50th? With a small budget on promo for it, the album woudl boost sales and probably sell better than Essential 3.0 because it's already successful in its own right.

why are people angry? a re-release does no harm. there is no nasty tactics by sony. is a sony excec at ur house holding a gun to ur head telling u to buy it? NO! show some

Constant rereleases are harming MJs reputation. The general puplic have noticed there have been alot over the years and I have seen comments on non-MJ boards where people are directly criticising Mike for the releases and saying that it's happening because he needs the money. It reinforces the idea in peoples heads that

a) he is broke
b) he is a has been
c) he is retired
d) he is milking his fan base for all its worth

Whether these things are true or not doesn't really matter, because that is the public perception.

Last edited:
I understand that Number Ones is doing well in the US and they don't want to hurt its sales by releasing KoP, but won't rereleasing 'The Essentials' do that anyway??
Couldn't they just repackage Number Ones slightly to acknowledge his birthday? Couldn't they just add a new (slightly modified design) cardboard sleeve to the original packaging, which could mention that it's his 50th? With a small budget on promo for it, the album woudl boost sales and probably sell better than Essential 3.0 because it's already successful in its own right.

They probably won't ever mess with 'Number Ones' because of it's continual sales. As I said earlier, SONY has a thing about proping up albums they want to increase sales that are stagnant. For example we know that sales of Thriller 25 were added to the sales of Thriller SE here in the USA to boost the sales of Thriller which were at 2.5 million with the sales of the original version of Thriller added to that. After the release of Thriller 25 sales of the original Thriller plus Thriller SE along with Thriller 25 have pushed it's sales over 3.5 million in the soundscan era in the USA. With that success SONY probably figured they could try to duplicate that somewhat with 'The Essential' series. It's all about how it looks sales wise in the soundscan era for the record company, fans be damned and except it.

Constant rereleases are harming MJs reputation. The general puplic have noticed there have been alot over the years and I have seen comments on non-MJ boards where people are directly criticising Mike for the releases and saying that it's happening because he needs the money. It reinforces the idea in peoples heads that

a) he is broke
b) he is a has been
c) he is retired
d) he is milking his fan base for all its worth

Whether these things are true or not doesn't really matter, because that is the public perception.

It's startling because up until 1995's release of HIStory there were no SONY gh's compilations only the Motown ones. It's SONY's way of getting a ton of money without having to do anything. It's cost effective and for every fan that doesn't continue to buy a non fan will casually buy one of them. In the end it's all about how sales look soundscan wise and money and of course Michael is going to make money whether he needs it or not.

i think you are right. i think with number ones being so successful essential michael will go platinumm two.

i think you are right. i think with number ones being so successful essential michael will go platinumm two.
The reason Number Ones sold a good amount is because it had a brand new track on it. A lot of MJ fans that already have all his albums bought Number Ones to get that song. There's not way Essentials 3.0 will do those kind of numbers becuase it doesn't have any new material.

The reason Number Ones sold a good amount is because it had a brand new track on it. A lot of MJ fans that already have all his albums bought Number Ones to get that song. There's not way Essentials 3.0 will do those kind of numbers becuase it doesn't have any new material.

it may grab some fans attention, especially those who don't have Say say say on Cd, same thing for Cant get outta the rain (only available on the hard to find Thriller ringle and the Japanese singles Box Set).

If they want to make this a successful.....re release, they should add more rare stuff and less stuff we already have.

it may grab some fans attention, especially those who don't have Say say say on Cd, same thing for Cant get outta the rain (only available on the hard to find Thriller ringle and the Japanese singles Box Set).
Yeah, those 2 songs will get a few more people to purchase it, but not as much as if there was a brand new song that was released as a single, like "One More Chance" was. After all Say, Say, Say is easy to get so hardcore MJ fans probably already have it. And Get Outta the Rain is very similar to You Can't Win from the Wiz, so it's not somthing totally new.

Yeah, those 2 songs will get a few more people to purchase it, but not as much as if there was a brand new song that was released as a single, like "One More Chance" was. After all Say, Say, Say is easy to get so hardcore MJ fans probably already have it. And Get Outta the Rain is very similar to You Can't Win from the Wiz, so it's not somthing totally new.

Eric I get your point bottomline SONY is all about being able to brag about another million selling GH and since Number Ones and the one disc GH vol.1 have done that, they want to add Essential to that group.

Don't come here and say,well you donn't HAVE to buyi t and no one forces you etc....... I said this when King Of pop was going to be released for his birthday and im saying it again. To hell with these re-releases.

FUCK SONY!!!

Sony sure invests a lot into 'best of's' CD's for Michael Jackson.. How about investing in a new DVD for a change.. possible idea?? I think so..

Either new DVD or re-releasing old VHS's in DVD format..

They would earn more money re-releasing VHS's into DVD, than they would releasing CD into CD..

Last edited:
Sony sure invests a lot into 'best of's' CD's for Michael Jackson.. How about investing in a new DVD for a change.. possible idea?? I think so..

Either new DVD or re-releasing old VHS's in DVD format..

They would earn more money re-releasing VHS's into DVD, than they would releasing CD into CD..

I agree, I think it would make a lot of sense. I think it's ridiculous that there has been only one official concert DVD released. I'm sure all of the fans and a lot of other people would jump at the chance to buy DVDs from all of MJ's tours. And re-releasing the old VHS's would be a great idea. They could do Making of Thriller, the Legend Continues, and others, and I'm sure they'd make as much or more money than they will with the re-re-re-releases of his music. But I guess it's easier for them to keep putting out CDs like this because they know that nomatter what, people are going to buy them and they'll make money, with virtually no effort put in on their part. -_-

Would it be too hard to get at least 3 MJ fans together and have them work on compile a reasonable compilation album and DVD?

I made a tracklisting that could get casual listeners and MJ fans to buy it:

Disc 1
1. I Want You Back(alternate version)
2. Who's Loving You (single version)
3. ABC
4. The Love You Save(Live)
5. Never Can Say Goodbye
6. I'll Be There
7. (unreleased MJ motown song)
8. I Wanna Be Where You Are
9. Got To Be There
10. Looking Through The Windows
11.Ben(alternate mix)
12.What Goes Around Comes Around
13. With A Child's Heart
14. Music And Me
15. Dancing Machine(alternate mix)
16. All I Do Is Think of You
17. One Day In Your Life
18. (unreleased MJ motown song)
19. Blues Away(Live from the Jacksons variety show)
20. Show You The Way To Go(Live)
21. Blame It On The Boogie
22. Shake Your Body

Disc 2
1.That's What You Get For Being Polite
2. (unreleased Off The Wall song)
3. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
4. Rock With You(Original Mix)
5.Off The Wall
6. She's Out Of My Life
7.(unreleased Triumph song)
8. This Place Hotel
9. Lovely One
10. Time Waits For No One
11. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
12. Beat It
13. Billie Jean(alternate mix)
14. PYT
15. Thriller
16. Human Nature(alternate mix)
17.Can't Get Outta The Rain
18.(unreleased Thriller track)
19. Say Say Say

Disc 3
1. Farewell My Summer Love(original 1973 mix)
2. State of Shock
3. Bad (Video Mix)
4. The Way You Make Me Feel(Original Album Mix)
5. Dirty Diana(Original Album Mix)
6.Smooth Criminal
7.Man In The Mirror(7' Remix)
8.(unreleased Bad song)
9.Black or White(single edit)
10. Remember The Time
11.Who Is It(single edit)
12.Will You Be There(single edit)
13.(unreleased Dangerous song)
14. Scream(solo version)
15. Earth Song
16. You Are Not Alone(single edit)
17. Why(original solo version)
18.Blood On The Dancefloor(original 1991 mix)
19.You Rock My World
20.Butterflies(extended radio mix)

Would it be too hard to get at least 3 MJ fans together and have them work on compile a reasonable compilation album and DVD?

I made a tracklisting that could get casual listeners and MJ fans to buy it:

Disc 1
1. I Want You Back(alternate version)
2. Who's Loving You (single version)
3. ABC
4. The Love You Save(Live)
5. Never Can Say Goodbye
6. I'll Be There
7. (unreleased MJ motown song)
8. I Wanna Be Where You Are
9. Got To Be There
10. Looking Through The Windows
11.Ben(alternate mix)
12.What Goes Around Comes Around
13. With A Child's Heart
14. Music And Me
15. Dancing Machine(alternate mix)
16. All I Do Is Think of You
17. One Day In Your Life
18. (unreleased MJ motown song)
19. Blues Away(Live from the Jacksons variety show)
20. Show You The Way To Go(Live)
21. Blame It On The Boogie
22. Shake Your Body

Disc 2
1.That's What You Get For Being Polite
2. (unreleased Off The Wall song)
3. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
4. Rock With You(Original Mix)
5.Off The Wall
6. She's Out Of My Life
7.(unreleased Triumph song)
8. This Place Hotel
9. Lovely One
10. Time Waits For No One
11. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
12. Beat It
13. Billie Jean(alternate mix)
14. PYT
15. Thriller
16. Human Nature(alternate mix)
17.Can't Get Outta The Rain
18.(unreleased Thriller track)
19. Say Say Say

Disc 3
1. Farewell My Summer Love(original 1973 mix)
2. State of Shock
3. Bad (Video Mix)
4. The Way You Make Me Feel(Original Album Mix)
5. Dirty Diana(Original Album Mix)
6.Smooth Criminal
7.Man In The Mirror(7' Remix)
8.(unreleased Bad song)
9.Black or White(single edit)
10. Remember The Time
11.Who Is It(single edit)
12.Will You Be There(single edit)
13.(unreleased Dangerous song)
14. Scream(solo version)
15. Earth Song
16. You Are Not Alone(single edit)
17. Why(original solo version)
18.Blood On The Dancefloor(original 1991 mix)
19.You Rock My World
20.Butterflies(extended radio mix)

Some tracks are intresting. But I think there ate Tooooo many old songs from 70'. 43 songs from 1970 - 1984 and only 18 songs from 1987 - 2003.

The original 8 songs CD is boring and poor project by Sony music. TDCAU is already included on disc 2. They should put some unreleased songs (Man in black, If you don't love me, Work that body..) on it. But they won't do it, becouse they are megasuckers!!!

Last edited:
1970-1984 was mj's most productive period so many songs are going to be included

mj_brainiac: very interesting tracklist, but the thing is that MJ has a problem with his Motown / J5 carreer.
His carreer seems to be all about OTW and everything that came after.

Sony release those CD's and MJ okays them. It's an agreement they have.
IF MJ really wanted it, we could have more unreleased songs... But we stick to countless GH CD's and T25 is filled with remixes and only 3 original recordingts (TGIM DEMO/ FAT/ GTH).

Noone is forced to get those CD's, and it's true Say say say and CGOTR are not the rarest tracks around... but some young fans can be interested in them.

Last edited:
Back