The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

The Estate must certainly have Buffalo Bill in their possession. I wonder why it was never included on BAD25? Was it considered for Xscape?
Songs that are "complete" weren't really put on B25, the exception being Streetwalker and Free ofc, if Buffalo Bill has been held on this entire time, it must be for a future release or smth

What's even more odd about Buffalo Bill is how MJ did a photo shoot at the grave site of William Cody in 1984. How close was this song being put on Victory? Seems like it could've been a last second decision to pull it.
That photoshoot was done in around September 1984, so 2 months after the release of Victory.

It could also missed a release because it:

1. Evolved into a different track
2. It sounded too much like a different track
3. He talked about the lyrics but once recorded it wasn't that good
4. Didn't fit one any album because it's very distinctive
5..?

RollingStone magazine (March 15, 1984)

At Epic, preparations are already under way for the forthcoming Jacksons album, entitled Victory. Frank Dileo is already raving about the one track he’s heard, “Buffalo Bill,” Michael’s latest uptempo dance composition. And, according to Walter Yetnikoff, Mick Jagger may also sing a duet with Michael.

@Korgnex @AdeZ What are these?
https://voca.ro/153yEODGCVJX

They sound like cheap, fan-made instrumentals but the first one sounds like a Brad Buxer production, more specifically Days In Gloucestershire. Assuming this is real (I'm skeptical that it is but regardless); Damien said that the song Boy No had certain aspects (a classical guitar) similar to D.I.G, could the first snippet be Boy No?

They sound like cheap, fan-made instrumentals but the first one sounds like a Brad Buxer production, more specifically Days In Gloucestershire. Assuming this is real (I'm skeptical that it is but regardless); Damien said that the song Boy No had certain aspects (a classical guitar) similar to D.I.G, could the first snippet be Boy No?
They are probably real since there is a Korgnex tag that is filtered out

The second one kinda sounds Bond-ish.

It could also missed a release because it:

1. Evolved into a different track
2. It sounded too much like a different track
3. He talked about the lyrics but once recorded it wasn't that good
4. Didn't fit one any album because it's very distinctive
5..?
If Billie Jean wasn't released in 82, I can imagine it being shelved and ending up in the same state. It is very much "of it's time" but in a good way. It just came out at the perfect time for it, where MJ, the culture, and the trends intersected at the perfect time.

More info from Bill Bottrell in 2009, September:

Yeah, this has become very confusing. I testified at Michael's Denver plagiarism trial: about how I was working on "streetwalker" and came up with the "Dangerous" track.
I still can't work out if there was maybe a previous demo of "Streetwalker". It seems to me I can't remember MJ ever coming all the way out to Smoketree.(to do vocals)That would indicate maybe a demo from Encino. Maybe Matt Forger worked on it.
What is heard on the Streetwalker release is my rough mix from Smoketree.
I played the horns, (samples) drums, bass, and guitars, and Jasun Martz came in to do the blues harp.
Here is why I'm shocked that some of my roughs have been released: There was a process that I learned well, that any MJ release went through: a process of vetting, re-thinking, replacing midi with live players, etc. It was a long process. "Streetwalker" never did that. Nor did "Come Together". I doubt I ever made an analog mix of Streetwalker, somebody just took it from the DAT.

Just to clarify, there is a Westlake Quincy version of Streetwalker, besides the Bottrell Bad SE version?

some info about the Thriller sessions and the encino sessions around that era
« Working Day and Night » has extended breakdowns to feature solos from Tito’s guitar and Randy’s congas, and culminates with a magic trick that involved Michael disappearing and then re-appearing on another part of the stage, with a costume change, and a deafeningly-loud pyrotechnic explosion. Michael loved that explosion, and always asked the pyro technician to make it louder. I do believe that we violated the fire codes every night with that thing.

Gosh whenever I read about that magic trick it sends shivers down my spine, I hope and pray that I one day get to see it since we only have half of the concert 😞 .

There's someone on this forum that has heard Buffalo Bill, and they said there's a version from Victory that has the brothers on background vocals, and a version from the Dangerous sessions

From what I can remember they also said it's the best song in the vault, alongside Streetwalker 1987
How and where did he heard it

You know, I feel like PoF could have been released as a promotional single honestly the same way SPYHO was for pepsi. I wish streetwalker would be a B side on another song but eh. I just really wish we got to hear Streetwalker '87, sounds absolutely amazing and I honestly prefer it more than the 88 version and its so badly distorted in the leak lmao

There's someone on this forum that has heard Buffalo Bill, and they said there's a version from Victory that has the brothers on background vocals, and a version from the Dangerous sessions

From what I can remember they also said it's the best song in the vault, alongside Streetwalker 1987
Well if someone has heard it relatively recent than at least it's not lost..!

found that post

https:// twitter.com/DamienShields/status/1692818503764697535
"“Rocker” is just a working title - presumably based on the style of the song. The chorus is “and the world is one big melting pot of life
👏
clap
👏
clap” repeated three times over. There is also another line wedged in the chorus, but I wasn’t able to decipher the lyrics"
"There are strong, proper lyrics/vocals in the chorus, yes. There are a LOT of strong ad libs and “hoo hooo!”s etc. after the guitar solo on the bridge, in the second half of the song. But between the verses, those choruses don’t include ad libs."

https:// twitter.com/DamienShields/status/1692709341277904904

Back