The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

What scratch vocals mean?
I would give you this video as an example:

It’s basically a draft of how that vocal is supposed to be, being the tone, lyric or even the timing. It’s mostly used as reference.

A session can generate multiple takes, which can generate multiple tracks. Then, edited, mixed and mastered.

I personally would consider In The Back and even Beautiful Girl (the TUC version, not the 2005 version we’ve heard on that cut from Geraldo Rivera, which sounds amazing btw but still a work in progress), as having takes that are vocal scratches.

Fall Again also can be an example, you can see several being recorded here:

But, yeah, I think it would be kinda like that. Demos can feature exclusively vocal scratches, but some actually have (some of or all) the final vocals used. Some of the early Hollywood Tonight demos also come to mind.

How much money would you pay for an unreleased demo?
Personally, I'd only consider that if it was Bad era demos. Couple hundred, perhaps ? My interest in the material is there, but not strong enough to bleed my account dry. Also would require a snippet of reasonable length with vocals beforehand.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd ever spend so much money because at the end of the day it's simply just a song, no matter how good a song can be you will get bored of listening to it eventually and likely not listen to it as much. Most I'd ever spend is a couple of hundred on a song like Dark Lady or Monster.

How much money would you pay for an unreleased demo?
Joy and Ghost Of Another Lover, I'd pay silly money for. Previously I'd have paid a lot of money for A Place With No Name and Price Of Fame, but I think paying a lot of money for an unreleased song is such a risk. For one it's always crazy money and two there's no guarantee it's a complete song.

Regarding this question, I'd like to extend the topic if I may: Would it be okay for a demo to cost more than a concert?
I think of it this way... Concerts are (traditionally) one paying to see the artist in the flesh. If MJ was still here I would rather spend that amount on seeing him in person. At the end of the day, the demo - even though unreleased and unheard by most - wouldn't be worth more than seeing the artist performing before me. As far as DVD/digital releases of concerts, I suppose it depends on one's preference relative to studio material/demos. As for myself, I stand by paying a few hundred, at most, regardless of how sought after a track is. With such a wealth of songs out there, why pay so heavily for one ?

I think of it this way... Concerts are (traditionally) one paying to see the artist in the flesh. If MJ was still here I would rather spend that amount on seeing him in person. At the end of the day, the demo - even though unreleased and unheard by most - wouldn't be worth more than seeing the artist performing before me. As far as DVD/digital releases of concerts, I suppose it depends on one's preference relative to studio material/demos. As for myself, I stand by paying a few hundred, at most, regardless of how sought after a track is. There is such a wealth of songs out there, why pay so heavily for one ?
Let me give an example to make it clearer.

A lossless copy of Buffalo Bill, from the master, for $50,000 vs. a 1:1 digital copy of MSG 03/03/88, from the Beta master, for $20,000.

Fair?

Let me give an example to make it clearer.

A lossless copy of Buffalo Bill, from the master, for $50,000 vs. a 1:1 digital copy of MSG 03/03/88, from the Beta master, for $20,000.

Fair?
Like I said, I guess it boils down to one's preference of studio vs live material.

As for myself, I'm not shelling out that sorta cash for any type of media - live, unreleased, etc. That's mental to me.

Also worth considering that with the rise of streaming, social media, and the internet in general, tracks are leaked and passed around often. I'd feel foolish having dropped $50k on a track, only to witness it leak the following day for everyone to have.

Damien Shields has no info, but maybe one of you has the info. There are rumors that they worked on songs together, including a song called "In the Valley". Do you have information?
Well, I can tell you the song existed long before the Invincible era. It was first mentioned in the Mexico Deposition in '93. Beyond that, I know nothing - not the original era, if it was recorded, etc.

Like I said, I guess it boils down to one's preference of studio vs live material.

As for myself, I'm not shelling out that sorta cash for any type of media - live, unreleased, etc. That's mental to me.

Also worth considering that with the rise of streaming, social media, and the internet in general, tracks are leaked and passed around often. I'd feel foolish having dropped $50k on a track, only to witness it leak the following day for everyone to have.
I agree considering most of MJs solo tours concerts are pretty much the same set lists for each tour and not very spontaneous. For example Bad Tour was pretty much same set list for most of it , Dangerous tour etc. MJ was never the most spontaneous in terms of throwing in a surprise song . It was all very rehearsed and down the line.

Different perspective: 4 minutes of audio (unreleased song) for $50,000 vs. 2 hours of audiovisual material (concert) for $20,000.

Back