Teddy Riley.......My Verdict!!! He was no good!!!

mjdvds

Proud Member
Was Teddy Riley actually good for Michael??? Is he any good??? I dont think so in some senses, lets take a look at Dangerous.....

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous

Now the above songs were either never released or did not chart so well, they all have a dated sound to them, what did he actually do?????????? Listen to bad, thriller and off the wall alot of the songs still sound fresh, but these tracks from dangerous sound old and are very rarely played in radios or clubs! I am saying Riley was a bad choice, his new jack sound never took off and dangerous was a casualty, so much more could have come from them songs :punk:

Jam a brilliant opening to that album
Ok Can't Let Her Get Aways is a bit of filler but still kicks ass!
In The Closet is ace!
She Drives Me Wild, again filler but is fab
Remember The Time, pure greatness
Dangerous, Well anyone who has ears can tell that is one hell of a song to dance to !! and is one of the best up tempo tracks MJs done

My opinion obviously :)

Jam a brilliant opening to that album
Ok Can't Let Her Get Aways is a bit of filler but still kicks ass!
In The Closet is ace!
She Drives Me Wild, again filler but is fab
Remember The Time, pure greatness
Dangerous, Well anyone who has ears can tell that is one hell of a song to dance to !! and is one of the best up tempo tracks MJs done

My opinion obviously :)

I knew opening this thread would cause alot of controversy, I am not slating the songs, because the lyrics on all are amazing but mj wrote them but seriously look at this!!!
songs Riley didn't touch.....

Heal The World
Black Or White
Who Is It
Give Into Me
Will You Be There
Keep The Faith
Gone Too Soon

Now Rileys

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous

Honestly, look at the list at the top and the ones above and compare them????? All I am saying is why the hell are all the Riley songs weak?? chart wise and lasting wise, how many riley songs do you hear played today? comaped to the "non" riley songs, I love Jam and so on but I am seriously thinking about why Michael great lyris and stuff dont get heard anymore, and the only thing I get to is Rileys editing

I can't fully agree with you because I happen to really, really like Remember the Time.

Was Teddy Riley actually good for Michael??? Is he any good??? I dont think so in some senses, lets take a look at Dangerous.....

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous

Now the above songs were either never released or did not chart so well, they all have a dated sound to them, what did he actually do?????????? Listen to bad, thriller and off the wall alot of the songs still sound fresh, but these tracks from dangerous sound old and are very rarely played in radios or clubs! I am saying Riley was a bad choice, his new jack sound never took off and dangerous was a casualty, so much more could have come from them songs :punk:

with Michael Jackson...charting in the nineties or not doing so, was a suspect thing. and MJ doesn't have to chart to be a hit with fans.

and every one of those songs that you think are dated, are not dated.

I knew opening this thread would cause alot of controversy, I am not slating the songs, because the lyrics on all are amazing but mj wrote them but seriously look at this!!!

Heal The World
Black Or White
Who Is It
Give Into Me
Will You Be There
Keep The Faith
Gone Too Soon

Now Rileys

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous

Honestly, look at the list at the top and the ones above and compare them????? All I am saying is why the hell are all the Riley songs weak?? chart wise and lasting wise, how many riley songs do you hear played today? comaped to the "non" riley songs, I love Jam and so on but I am seriously thinking about why Michael great lyris and stuff dont get heard anymore, and the only thing I get to is Rileys editing

you saying those songs are dated, and saying you knew this thread would be controversial, are two contradictory statements, because how can you say they are dated, but know that there would be a lot of fans who would disagree with you?

Last edited:

Heal The World
Black Or White
Who Is It
Give Into Me
Will You Be There
Keep The Faith
Gone Too Soon

Now Rileys

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous

Looking at the other songs off Dangerous you've stated are also very good just what Michaels standards are.
And I don't really see much controversy in this thread just people expressing their opinion that don't match yours :)

Last edited:
Well I agree, I much prefer the non-Riley songs on Dangerous. They tend to be repetitive and bland. But then he did do Blood On The Dancefloor and Ghosts which are 2 of my favourites.

Michael Jackson was on the tail end of the New Jack Swing era. NJS redfined dance music/R&B as we know it today. If there was no Teddy Riley, you would have no Darkchild/Timbaland/Neptunes. With that said, some of Michael's greatest works were with Teddy Riley.

Also Michael's charting success with Dangerous was halted because of the abuse scandal of '93.

why you wanna trip on riley :lol:

Sorry, I had to use the lyrics :giggle: seriously though, NJS as a whole is a bit dated ... so sure, MJ's NJS feel has a dated-ness to it :yes: However, I love me some DANGEROUS. When that song comes on at the club ... child, you would think it was the 90's & Voquing was in again. People be moving to the dancefloor like Cattle.

Last edited:
Remember The Time sounds as fresh as it did when it came out. The reason why they sound dated is because 1991 was the "New Jack Swing" era and most of the music of the time sounds dated. Teddy is a great producer.

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous
all great songs. Heal The World is the weakest song on the whole album. It's the "WTF" moment of the album LOL

Jam
Can't Let Her Get Away
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can't Let Her Get Away
Dangerous

Dangerous is a good song.

Jam is a great song.

Remember The Time is an incredible song.

What's wrong with you, dude?

Michael Jackson was on the tail end of the New Jack Swing era. NJS redfined dance music/R&B as we know it today. If there was no Teddy Riley, you would have no Darkchild/Timbaland/Neptunes. With that said, some of Michael's greatest works were with Teddy Riley.

Also Michael's charting success with Dangerous was halted because of the abuse scandal of '93.

Exactly.

Duh, people! Great songs, bad press.

ur wrong completely lol. ITC= Pure GREATNESS, RTT = Greatness Jam was a banger , Dangerous is simply amazing like idk why u wud even say such a thing lol anywayz teddys is magic and produces great tracks so there

Yes MJ Was Planning on releasing a tenth song i've read loads of times before - 10 singles from one album and if that had of happened would there of been more - we will never know. this album is amazing "DANGEROUS" the song it's self would of been next single would of kicked ass. only songs that i mostly skip are gone too soon and keep the faith. i loved keep the faith when i was about 12 / 13 but find that one hard to listen to know. i much prefer

Jam
In The Closet - 3rd best on album
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time - 4th best
Black or white
heal the world
GIVE IN TO ME - second best song
WILL YOU BE THERE
WHO IS IT - best song on album
DANGEROUS - joint 3rd best

Dangerous is my favourite MJ album. I know a lot of people who are NOT MJ fans but say that Dangerous is his biggest album. And Teddy Riley is my favourite MJ producer. I've always felt MJ should go back to work with Teddy Riley. The stuff they did on Blood On The Dancefloor was also great. MJ should work with ONE producer and write all his songs alone instead of working with dozens of people who will mess up his album.

I also like Teddy Riley and wouldn't mind seeing him work with MJ again. I might be wrong but it seems to me that Dangerous is most fans' faveroute album. It's definitely my faveroute - I love everything on it with the exception of Can't Let Her Get Away of which I am not that fond. The only song that I think sounds a bit dated is Jam, but I love it nonetheless.

Teddy Riley was used perfectly for Dangerous.

IMO, NJS is where it should be- back in the 90's. :lol: Those songs were so good, but I am kinda glad it went no further. Teddy's best work was on Dangerous. Period.

I don't think the songs on Dangerous sound dated and RTT is the best NJS song ever IMO.

But, Teddy's remixes sucked. Prime example: Jam (Teddy's Jam). 'nuff said.

I think maybe you should listen to MJ's demo of Dangerous (on Ultimate Collection), prior to Teddy Riley working on it. THAT sounds dated.

And I am surprised you think that Bad sounds fresher than Dangerous. I personally think Bad has dated the most, the clunky synths and echoed beats just scream 1980's. Thriller on the other hand sounds much fresher than Bad, which is probably one of the reasons why it is a much more popular album today.

In the closet and jam are still amazing songs also for today music tastes.

Ummm have to disagree with u there LOL Dangerous is my fav album BECAUSE of the Riley tracks.

Dangerous isn't a favorite Michael Jackson album of mine, and the main reason is because of the Teddy Riley songs. But I do think some of the songs like Remember The Time (a good song though not a favorite of mine) still sound fresh as does the brilliant In The Cloest.

I disagree that Michael's charting success with Dangerous halted because of the false abuse scandal of 1993, as the promotion for that album singles wise was almost over. In fact Michael had already released 7 singles outside the USA from Dangerous before the scandal, with mixed success. Whilst the abuse investigation was underway in the summer of 93, Michael had a No.7 hit in the USA's Billboard chart with the song Will You Be There which was used as the song for Free Willy. And apart from Black Or White, Remember The Time and In The Closet, Will You Be There was the only Top 10 hit from the Dangerous album.

I think Jam is a great song, though not the most creative song it's an awesome live song and I hope Michael performs it again. I really like the song Dangerous (though not a favorite of mine), but that's mainly a Michael Jackson song. Michael wrote the most of the lyrics and created the basic structure of the song, and Teddy Riley just gave the song a few beats. I don't know what Bill Bottrell's contribution to the son is.

I wouldn't say Teddy Riley was no good for Michael, but he made Michael sound like he was following trends not setting them on most of there collaborations. I agree that a lot of the songs Michael's made with Teddy Riley aren't great. I hate Why You Wanna Trip on Me and She Drives Me Wild, they are just as rubbish as Heal The World (which is the weakest song on the Dangerous album).

I do think that Michael's collaborations with Teddy Riley on Invincible are brilliant despite the songs being over produced, but a great producer should know not to over produce.

I think maybe you should listen to MJ's demo of Dangerous (on Ultimate Collection), prior to Teddy Riley working on it. THAT sounds dated.

You can't really compare the dates sound of Michael's demo of Dangerous to the finished 1991 version of Dangerous because it's a demo/rough version. Michael's full home demos of Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin Somethin sound very dated, reason being they are just a working demos and not the full sound that's in Michael's head.

Last edited:

agreed .. .

Teddy didn't LET Michael sound trendy...Mj WANTED that sound. And if u think HTW was the worst on the album...well that was all Michael's doing...MICHAEL wrote that song.

I say if u don't like the album stop blaming it on the producer...Michael wanted it and picked the songs that went on the album. The album is how MJ wanted it to be an that's that. He wasn't forced to put anything he didn't like on the album. So if you don't like it, then you simply don't like it.

Back