[Study for thesis] How did you learn MJ had passed away?

How did you learn Michael had passed away?

• Through internet (which website?)

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Through television (which program?)

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Through radio (which station?)

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Through newspaper (which paper?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ourania

Proud Member
The third question destined to help me get a percentage through the largest fanbase Michael has on the internet, and the most eclectic, mostly. Same than the two others, with description of how, where and when you learned it, and how you reacted.

Did you learn it through:

- The internet (which website?)
- Television (which program?)
- Radio (which station?)
- Newspaper (which one?)

By the way, thank you for your answers, for each question I can ask!!

Last edited:
Re: How did you learn MJ had passed away?

I learned it through internet.
MSN news is my homepage I opened my Internet explorer and got hit with the news immediatly as it was almost the only news on the website.

from tv. cnn.
i usually fall asleep w tv open ... since i never really pay attention to it i often forget it open . i heard the news while sleeping and it instantly woke me up...i thought i was having a nightmare...:( now i wish i did.

My answer isn't on there, my dad phoned to tell me he was in cardiac arrest. I was glued to the T.V. and I learned he had actually died that way, so I'll vote for that.

Oh and the channel was BBC News 24 (probably the largest and most respectable television network in the UK).

The BBC website is my homepage, I'd clicked to open the internet, and there it was in front of me, I couldn't believe my eyes. I was the first person in my house to find out. :cry:

One of my friends had "MJ is in cardiac arrest" as their facebook status... :(

Facebook - Seany O' Kane's status, switched on the TV and broke down then my Mum called me from the states in tears. It wasn't confirmed at this point but I knew not even the media would make THAT much fuss over nothing, I guess a little part of me still had hope though because it wasn't until Jermaine made the statement - that's when I really lost it :'(

:cry: :cry: :cry:

A lousy lousy LOUSY friend texted me when it wasn't even CONFIRMED and said "MJ is dead."
jmgbsrnglfasehngldhnldgzsnmhdgzh

:cry:

then I watched tv.

I was on here when the 'mj rushed to hospital' thread started

Through IMDB, I saw the news flash that Michael was in the hospital. I truly hoped and expected he would be ok, so I didn't think too much of it. Obviously I was concerned, but I thought he would pull through. :( Then I went to YouTube later and saw all these tribute videos. I was thinking why are there all these tribute videos saying things like "Remembering Michael Jackson"? :( He couldn't be dead could he? And then ugh...I found articles which confirmed it. :cry:

I found out from a phone call my mom got from my step sister, me and my mom thought she was joking at first, I turned on the tv and found out is was true, worst day ever.

I was at home that day, but was immersed in watching the NBA draft (i'm a big bball fan). I was already sad because I found out Farah Fawcett had passed away in the morning.

My dad called me in the afternoon and said that Michael Jackson had passed away. I didn't believe him at all because sometimes my dad can be sarcastic and make bad jokes.

I turned the channel from ESPN to CNN and there was the confirmation. I went to my bedroom and started to cry as I watched the news for like the next 12 hours.

I was watching the CW and a breaking news banner came up at the bottom of the screen saying, "Michael Jackson rushed to the hospital." Then I turned on CNN and they broke the news there.

I was on here first when the news broke about the hospital. I left here after the server went down and stayed glued to CNN and the other news networks until it was confirmed.

I heard on the radio driving home that he had been rushed to the hospital. I got home and turned on CNN to find out more, and that is when the worst day of my life began.

none of the poll,my brother phoned me,i had gone to bedand the phone rang,was up for days after that,first thing i did was turn on the tv,and come on here,

In our German radio news I heard that MJ was taken to the hospital. It was late evening over here. I rushed to my computer and watched CNN - until early morning. For me the whole thing was so unreal ... I could not believe what I heard, it took a while for me to realize the truth. It was something so definite. :no: I did not cry, not until during the next day, when our radio station aired some tribute programs ... :cry:

For me it was the tv. I was up in my room playing my Sims 3 game. I had change the channel on my tv to the one main channel so I can watch the 6:30 pm news. That was when I had saw and heard the horrifying news. It was the very first thing that they had showed. Was Michael's Jam performance at the Bucharest Dangerous Concert. Right on the screen it said the years 1958-2009. I just couldn't believe it and thought it was some kind of a sick disgusting joke. So I immediantly came hear and saw it was really true. Because no MJ fan would make up something like that.

My sis called me after my dad called her.
He saw someone metioning it on TV.

The third question destined to help me get a percentage through the largest fanbase Michael has on the internet, and the most eclectic, mostly. Same than the two others, with description of how, where and when you learned it, and how you reacted.

Did you learn it through:

- The internet (which website?)
- Television (which program?)
- Radio (which station?)
- Newspaper (which one?)

By the way, thank you for your answers, for each question I can ask!!

I found out on the radio WVEE V-103 FM, Atlanta, GA :(

I learnt here that he was in hospital and I found out he died via 107.7 2GO FM when they said that CNN was reporting he was dead. I can never forget that voice saying it.

I was in bed with my laptop. Messenger was on and I congratulated my cousin. Then he said to me Michael was dead. I couldn't believe it so I ran downstairs, told my parents and turned on the TV.
I stayed up all night watching CNN..
I'm never gonna forget that.:no:

I learned it through the internet from people's Twitter updates. I was on a road trip at the time...and checked up on Twitter using my Dad's iPhone when I saw just about everyone was talking about it. I Googled it to see what happened and couldn't believe it. :(

I was on this board (MJJC) when I saw a thread that he'd been rushed to the hospital. The thread was from a TMZ account. I then turned on tv and went from tv to the thread on MJJC, and back again to tv, and so on. I heard the news that he had died from CNN Breaking News. (I never read nor view TMZ directly.)

Well, I came to work in the morning on Friday 26th, turned the radio on, listened to "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" as it was on, and then the radio host mentioned that Michael died around 7:06am Australian time...
The radio station was 97.3 FM, it's an Australian radio station, so don't know if it matters, but there ya go.

well actually my son who is 19 came out of his room (he was on the computer) and he said Mom someone has passed away...I was like who??? He was like ..ummm.....He just looked at me and I was like no not Michael???? He said yeah Ma...Michael...Then he said I am so sorry.. Then I cried for what seemed like days...:(

Back