Should Janet Jackson Be Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Should JJ be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame?

• Yes, She absolutley deserves it!

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • No, She hasn't earned it!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • IDK, I'm on the fence!

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
Madonna was...and she (Janet) has been eligible since 2007.

If yes Why?

What were/are her contributions to music?
What has been her cultrual (and Global) impact?
What has set her apart from other female (and male) artist?
What records has she set, styles (in both music and image) has she innovated, and what changes did she make to the landscape of popular music?

If no Why?
What does she still need to do?

Lets Try and keep this friendly, respectful, and HONEST.

Last edited:
Yes, she's one of the world's biggest-selling artists and a global superstar and icon in her own right. If Mike wasn't her brother, she wouldn't be so overlooked.

^^ I think she means she agrees.

I agree also.
I've read the questions and couldn't honestly think of one thing that would make Janet so special... In my opinion she's a little overrated because of being Mike's sister. (Yes, I mean overrated, not underrated, sorry.)

She's beautiful and some of her songs are nice - just so y'all stop thinking Imma Janet hater. I'm not. :)

She's on the fence type of artists. She hasn't a giant impact, but she had some in particular with girls. But you have to say she had a very strong and steady run. She was one the top artists in the world from 1986-2002 and still can sell out 10-14,000 seat arena in major cities. You put her in based on her longevity as a top artist. But you could keep her out as she isn't really a hugely trend setting artist or extremely talent to musician or singer/songwriter.

Yes, she's one of the world's biggest-selling artists and a global superstar and icon in her own right. If Mike wasn't her brother, she wouldn't be so overlooked.

That's actually not true. Janet being Michael's sister has helped her world wide recognition big time. Janet has had some hits worldwide and I believe the "Janet" album was her big seller worldwide, but she is by NO MEANS a global superstar at all. Look at her overall worldwide sales and star power, it's not that impressive honestly. Janet is a big star in America and surely an icon in her own right, but outside of America and say Japan and maybe South Africa, she's not a big star. In a lot of places outside the U.S. she's mainly just known for being MJ's little sister, so her being his sister has actually helped her in that way. Janet is mainly an American icon, not a global one. Just because someone is a huge star in the U.S. doesn't mean they are oversees.

As far as if Janet should be inducted or not, I say yes. Janet has had a more of an impact on pop culture than many would like to admit. Janet's choreography and video's have been the template and standard for many r&b and pop stars to follow. Quite a few have been influenced by her (I.e. Aaliyah, Britney Spears, Mya,etc.). Janet's catalogue up until say "The Velvet Rope" has been consistently good and has sold very well too. Janet has a great catalogue of music, she's a dynamic performer, she's had some of the best video's in pop culture and she has been influential overall. No, I wouldn't rate her highly as an actual vocalist or songwriter, but I do think Janet has talent and on top of that she has her own unique style that's influenced a number of artists. I think she deserves to get in.

If yes Why?

What records has she set, styles (in both music and image) has she innovated, and what changes did she make to the landscape of popular music?

If no Why?

Hi Babykinsilk,

It may be fun to add a poll to the thread so users can vote :) . . . I'm curious what the results would be!

If yes Why?

If no Why?

little devils love drama. you speak against controversy but you know it's exactly what you were looking for.

Janet is awesome,
a great singer, dancer and a performer.
I just don't think she has made it so far, to be inducted to the Hall of Fame yet.

I don't know, it were really those old times when she was more famous..
Now you barely hear from her.

If it was up to me, she would be listed.
But in general, not yet ;)

Yes, she does. I don't recall popularity and sales being a factor to be inducted :rolleyes: So what's all the fuss that she's not a global superstar? She's considered to be one of the most famous women in the world. So I don't see how she's not.

Anyways, she deserves it for her contribution to music and popular culture as a whole. Just about every pop artist is influenced by her body of work, dance and music videos. She deserves it.

I'm not sure. She has made a contribution but I think she has had more influence of US R&B/Pop artists more than anything but its more through performance rather than musically. As much as I like some of Janet's music, I still think there is something missing and that she isn't considered a global icon, I don't think she has really had that much of an impact on popular culture.

and Madonna has? :lol:

I think Madonna has globally. I think in terms of image and music video she has had more of an impact on popular culture than Janet has. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Janet's music (well Velvet Rope and prior to that) and find her more entertaining, I just personally don't think globally Janet has had an impact on popular culture, I think she has had more of an impact in the US.

I think Madonna has globally. I think in terms of image and music video she has had more of an impact on popular culture than Janet has. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Janet's music (well Velvet Rope and prior to that) and find her more entertaining, I just personally don't think globally Janet has had an impact on popular culture, I think she has had more of an impact in the US.

Janet's influence on music is far more then Madonna's. Again, being "global" isn't a part of the criteria to get inducted. And Janet was far more global in the 90's but I don't know her status around the world now since I didn't travel to each continent and ask people about her.

Bobby Womack isn't global, but got inducted last year.
Donna Summers is hardly known anymore, but is a nominee for next years induction.

So Janet does deserve to get in for her impact on Pop and R&B. She influenced so many Pop and R&B artists.

Janet's influence on music is far more then Madonna's. Again, being "global" isn't a part of the criteria to get inducted. And Janet was far more global in the 90's but I don't know her status around the world now since I didn't travel to each continent and ask people about her.

Bobby Womack isn't global but got inducted last year.
Donna Summers is hardly known anymore but is a nominee for next years induction.

So Janet does deserve to get in for her impact on Pop and R&B. She influenced so many Pop and R&B artists.

Okay if Donna Summers is getting nominated then Janet definitely does deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame. I can't say I think that Madonna nor Janet have had much influence on music itself, I think both of them have been influential with performance and music video and image though.

Okay if Donna Summers is getting nominated then Janet definitely does deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame. I can't say I think that Madonna nor Janet have had much influence on music itself, I think both of them have been influential with performance and music video and image though.

I specifically mean Pop and R&B. Just like MJ got inducted for his contribution to music in the Pop and R&B genre. Janet helped mold complementary R&B with the Control album. It became a blueprint for many R&B artists out at the time and it also opened doors. I think it's sad that many question Janet. :sigh: Oh well.....

Janet should be in a R'n'b Hall of Fame she is great but not rock n roll IMO. Love Janet though !!
But saying that Michael is the king of Pop and he was inducted, so maybe she should be, she is one of the best selling female artists of all time.
Overall with her record sales and scrolling down the list of people who have been inducted I think she deserves to be inducted people who have done less have been inducted, but there's
plenty of time for it especially with her new album

Last edited:
I specifically mean Pop and R&B. Just like MJ got inducted for his contribution to music in the Pop and R&B genre. Janet helped mold complementary R&B with the Control album. It became a blueprint for many R&B artists out at the time and it also opened doors. I think it's sad that many question Janet. :sigh: Oh well.....

I know Janet has been influential and I've said how I think she has been influential and I'm not taking that away from her at all because she earned that. But I'm not going to sit here and say that Janet has been much of a influence on music itself when I honestly don't think that. Anyway like I said if Donna Summers and Bobby Womack can get into the Hall Of Fame then I think Janet definitely does deserve to :).

I like Janet a lot and think she's awesome but some people question whether Janet would have been able to work with all these amazing producers in the mid 80s if she wasn't Michael's little sister.

That's actually not true. Janet being Michael's sister has helped her world wide recognition big time. Janet has had some hits worldwide and I believe the "Janet" album was her big seller worldwide, but she is by NO MEANS a global superstar at all. Look at her overall worldwide sales and star power, it's not that impressive honestly. Janet is a big star in America and surely an icon in her own right, but outside of America and say Japan and maybe South Africa, she's not a big star. In a lot of places outside the U.S. she's mainly just known for being MJ's little sister, so her being his sister has actually helped her in that way. Janet is mainly an American icon, not a global one. Just because someone is a huge star in the U.S. doesn't mean they are oversees.

As far as if Janet should be inducted or not, I say yes. Janet has had a more of an impact on pop culture than many would like to admit. Janet's choreography and video's have been the template and standard for many r&b and pop stars to follow. Quite a few have been influenced by her (I.e. Aaliyah, Britney Spears, Mya,etc.). Janet's catalogue up until say "The Velvet Rope" has been consistently good and has sold very well too. Janet has a great catalogue of music, she's a dynamic performer, she's had some of the best video's in pop culture and she has been influential overall. No, I wouldn't rate her highly as an actual vocalist or songwriter, but I do think Janet has talent and on top of that she has her own unique style that's influenced a number of artists. I think she deserves to get in.

Well first and foremost The Rock Hall of Fame is a joke.. after they let Madonna get in, I have lost all respect for them because there have been alot of legends that still have yet to be nominated or get in.... as far as Janet... I love Janet and I'm a fan but as far as her being in the Rock Hall of Fame.... No. She has contributed anything to music or done anything "innovative". She is very talented and she has been influential but there is nothing about her that stands out to the point she should be in the Rock Hall of Fame. The Rock Hall of Fame isnt about pop culture, celebrity etc... Its about contribution and creativity but I guess all that does not matter since they let Madonna get in... there standards have really fell off....but hey If they let Madonna get in then Janet should have the same opportunity even though I dont think she deserves to get in... And I agree with someone who said that Janet is a tad bit overrated because that is true to but she is a artist in her own right. Rock Hall of fame is for legends. Janet isnt a legend she is a icon and I love Janet and all but just keeping it real.

Well first and foremost The Rock Hall of Fame is a joke.. after they let Madonna get in, I have lost all respect for them because there have been alot of legends that still have yet to be nominated or get in.... as far as Janet... I love Janet and I'm a fan but as far as her being in the Rock Hall of Fame.... No. She has contributed anything to music or done anything "innovative". She is very talented and she has been influential but there is nothing about her that stands out to the point she should be in the Rock Hall of Fame. The Rock Hall of Fame isnt about pop culture, celebrity etc... Its about contribution and creativity but I guess all that does not matter since they let Madonna get in... there standards have really fell off....but hey If they let Madonna get in then Janet should have the same opportunity even though I dont think she deserves to get in... And I agree with someone who said that Janet is a tad bit overrated because that is true to but she is a artist in her own right. Rock Hall of fame is for legends. Janet isnt a legend she is a icon and I love Janet and all but just keeping it real.

Oh brother. Here we go. :smilerolleyes:

Madonna very much deserved it whether you like her or not. I will not go in to that because it's simply foolish to argue. With all the acts pointed out to have been inducted over others why would you object to Madonna? She's influenced countless artists the world over both with her image, videos and indeed music (she has written and produced pop classics).

I'm beginning to love it when people start to trash talking Madonna. The agenda is obvious to everyone and most just ignore it (which is what I think I will start to do too). Just goes to show how influential Madonna really is. If she wasn't, then the select few wouldn't ALWAYS chime in with their anti-Madonna rigmarole.

I'm on the fence with Janet but I don't think it would hurt anything for her to get a nomination and even be inducted. She's certainly a pop icon, so why not?

Last edited:
What do you mean by +1?

I agree.

She's on the fence type of artists. She hasn't a giant impact, but she had some in particular with girls. But you have to say she had a very strong and steady run. She was one the top artists in the world from 1986-2002 and still can sell out 10-14,000 seat arena in major cities. You put her in based on her longevity as a top artist. But you could keep her out as she isn't really a hugely trend setting artist or extremely talent to musician or singer/songwriter.

this

I'm not sure. She has made a contribution but I think she has had more influence of US R&B/Pop artists more than anything but its more through performance rather than musically. As much as I like some of Janet's music, I still think there is something missing and that she isn't considered a global icon, I don't think she has really had that much of an impact on popular culture.

this

this

Janet helped mold complementary R&B with the Control album.

You must mean contemporary

She is very talented and she has been influential but there is nothing about her that stands out to the point she should be in the Rock Hall of Fame. The Rock Hall of Fame isnt about pop culture, celebrity etc... Its about contribution and creativity but I guess all that does not matter since they let Madonna get in...

agreed that Janet has been influential (not sure I'd go as far as to say she's very talented though, not as far as singing and songwriting goes, performance-wise, sure), but as for what is written in bold, go away and listen to the Ray of Light album.

of course.we are talking about Miss rhythm nation after all ..

edit:sorry for double post

I agree.

this

this

this

You must mean contemporary

agreed that Janet has been influential (not sure I'd go as far as to say she's very talented though, not as far as singing and songwriting goes, performance-wise, sure), but as for what is written in bold, go away and listen to the Ray of Light album.

Maybe, you should go away and listen to the Velvet Rope album.

I feel the same way. I don't consider Janet or Madonna legends, never have, never will. They are icons, period. Despite that I do feel that if Madonna could get in so can Janet. I do feel that Madonna deserved to be inducted solely due to her impact on pop culture and the success she's had. I also think Janet deserves to get in. I do feel she has been innovative in some ways and influential. So yeah, if Madonna could be inducted, why can't Janet? Madonna's had more of an impact worldwide and has been more influential overall I think, but Janet's impact shouldn't be downplayed either. She should get in.

I wouldn't have a problem with Janet being inducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back