Reuters: Michael Jackson Fans Says Film Covers Up Grim Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfPop1

Proud Member
Michael Jackson fans say film covers up grim truth
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:53pm EDT

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A small group of Michael Jackson's dedicated fans have started an "awareness" campaign surrounding the upcoming movie "This is It," saying it covers up the grim reality of the dead pop star's final days.

The group represents fans from at least 10 countries who claim the movie, which hits theaters around the world on October 28 and is based on Jackson's rehearsals for a series of London concerts, conceals the "dire state" of his health while enriching its promoters that they hold partly responsible for his death on June 25.

"In the weeks leading up to Michael Jackson's death, while this footage was being shot, people around him knew that he looked like he might have died. Those who stood to make a profit chose to ignore it," the group says on its website, www.this-is-not-it.com.

Jackson was preparing for the concerts at the time of his sudden death, which was ruled a homicide by the Los Angeles County Coroner and attributed to an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol as well as the sedative lorazepam.

Police have focused their investigation into his death on the entertainer's personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. So far, no charges have been filed.

Kenny Ortega, the director of "This is It" who also was choreographing the concert rehearsals, told Reuters earlier this week that he saw no signs of drug dependency in Jackson, that the singer was excited to be performing and that the film was not intended to make a profit.

In a separate interview on Thursday, Ortega called the movie a "musical mosaic...that I think will help the fans come to appreciate and understand what Michael was putting into "This Is It", what his dreams were for it, what his goals were for it."

"It is a story of a master of his craft, a great genius in his final theatrical work and creative process," Ortega said.

The concert promoters, AEG Live, did not return calls for comment.

The group is made up largely of longtime Jackson fans, some of whom have spent time with the entertainer over the years and attended nearly every day of his 2005 child molestation trial.

They say they became so concerned about Jackson's health that on June 21, four days before his death, they wrote to him asking him to stop the tour if he was not up to it.

"It is our wish to help people understand where the responsibilities lie, pertaining to Michael Jackson's passing, in the hope that if they choose to watch the film, they will do so with critical eyes," the group said in a written statement.

"In fact, we believe that those around Jackson chose to look the other way when it was evident he was having problems," the fans said.

"We want to celebrate Michael Jackson and his amazing legacy, but we cannot do so until the truth comes out, justice is served and the lies are exposed."

The fans say they will hand out fliers promoting their cause at the premieres next week for "This is It."

http://www.reuters.com/article/ente...91022?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews

Nonsense!

When will these people learn MJ's weight did not kill him? The freakin' drug did.

MJ does look VERY thin in the footage we have seen. Every single person (from Oprah to Billy Bush) who has seen the 12-minute preview has commented on how skinny MJ looked...so I don't know what cover up they are talking about.

Geez...they gonna make MJ's fans look ignorant.

Do you think this will help the movie or hinder it?
I don't think it will have any impact whatsoever. Aside from making MJ fans look like a bunch of rabid fans. The proof is right there on the screen...he was very skinny. Are they saying MJ wasn't skinny? I do not understand their angle.

What pisses me of, is the fact that these "fans" haven't seen the movie yet. And from the previews, MJ looks very very skinny...why are they making an issue out of something that is easily verified?

We know Karen Faye started the whole thing out of Jealousy for not being included in the movie. She is the biggest I****.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say all that. It's their right to tell their version of events. Those fans were there, we were not. They were near Michael and he voiced his concerns to them, so maybe we should all keep an open mind?

I'm not going judge them and in no way this can hinder the movie. We should wait and see how this all plays out before casting aspersions on these fans.

help it. good or bad its still publicity. True or False its still going to get peoples interests peaked. I think a lot of how thin he looks has a lot to do with the lighting and how we received the clips. to me they look stretched a bit. the "This Is Not It" crew will catch a backlash if they are not careful.

Non sense!

When will these people learn MJ's weight did not kill him? The freakin' drug did.
I guess that's just too simple, so there MUST be a conspiracy involved!

MJ does look VERY thin in the footage we have seen. Every single person (from Oprah to Billy Bush) who has seen the 12-minute preview has commented on how skinny MJ looked...so I don't know what cover up they are talking about.
I actually think he looks pretty hot in the orange pants. :D

And paranoid, and unable to accept the simplicity of how he died too. This idea of a grand scheme... with people conspiring to kill Michael, just for money, just doesn't work for me. Not everyone in the world is out for money and trying to shaft (muchless MURDER) someone else. *I* have a motive to go rob my local bank.... MONEY. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it. My morals would prevent me from that, and the fear of getting caught. But with the accusations of this mass conspiracy to murder Michael, I guess *everyone* involved had low morals. I'm not buying it. :no:

The point here is that some folks have been deeply involved in investigating the circumstances surrounding Michael's death, and some have chosen not to be involved. Either way is ok. However, if you are not knowledgeable about the details and genuine facts, please do not discount what they have to say. These fans were close to Michael, daily. That is more than the vast majority of us here can say. They saw his decline to the extent that they gave him letters expressing their concern. They deserve to be treated with respect, as anyone does.

Well, Michael's being thin did not kill him, an acute intoxication of propofol administered by Dr. Murray did.

Shouldn't we be focusing on getting Murray to jail instead & start from there?

Now that campaign site has made it to the media and press. Great.

Non sense!

I agree with you....as usual.

Well, Michael's being thin did not kill him, an acute intoxication of propofol administered by Dr. Murray did.

The LAPD investigation is ongoing, and Murray is a focus of that investigation.

There are those who say Michael was not eating well, was losing weight rapidly. Those who saw him closely expressed that concern to him. Ultimately, the Propofol caused his death. Without the ongoing stress, he would not have needed it. These things are very related.

Micheal was 120 lb's during the making of the Thriller music video, as John Landis' wife spoke about that in an interview. At the time of his death he was 136lb's. So far no one from the LAPD or LA County Morgue has denied his weight was 136 lb's. If so they would have denied it the very same day it leaked.

His weight didn't kill him. It was Dr Murray.

I am not going to say anything negative about these fans. I hope I am not in the minority.

It just doesn't seem like they want to do this? They are not getting anything out of it? They are not benefitting from it, if anything they are being criticized by fellow fans.

I don't know if I agree with them or disagree with them... I just haven't read the material on it... it makes me deeply sad that there were people concerned about MJ and alarms went off but no one intervened.

It seems like the "follower fans" seem to be seeking for the "truth". I can't blame them for that... we all want the truth. and we all want JUSTICE.

I don't know a lot of things but I do know that Profolol caused MJs untimely passing and Murray administered it.

Before we all go off on each other and the thread blows up... can we keep in mind to disagree with each other respectfully as the person above you and below you (posts) are all presumably MJ fans.

Exactly, so I'm not sure what those fans are pushing for. AEG is, never was, and never will be responsible for Michael's health. Even if Michael dropped dead during rehearsals you'd be hard-pressed to prove a case against AEG simply because "Michael looked thin".

Sounds good! Once you nail him, IF there is a conspiracy, he should start talking to make a deal.

I presume the "follower fans" have some sort of evidence and not just what they saw??

I mean for Reuters to report this means they have to see some sort of evidence, right??

I don't know what to think.

The LAPD investigation is ongoing, and Murray is a focus of that investigation.

There are those who say Michael was not eating well, was losing weight rapidly. Those who saw him closely expressed that concern to him. Ultimately, the Propofol caused his death. Without the ongoing stress, he would not have needed it. These things are very related.
Michael CHOSE to do these concerts, and from all indications, he looked VERY involved in his work and happy to be there. If the "case" against AEG is going to be that they put undue stress on Michael to perform, I'm sorry, but that case would get laughed out of court. As it stands now, there are no grounds against AEG.

I am not going to say anything negative about these fans. I hope I am not in the minority.

It just doesn't seem like they want to do this? They are not getting anything out of it? They are not benefitting from it, if anything they are being criticized by fellow fans.

I don't know if I agree with them or disagree with them... I just haven't read the material on it... it makes me deeply sad that there were people concerned about MJ and alarms went off but no one intervened.

It seems like the "follower fans" seem to be seeking for the "truth". I can't blame them for that... we all want the truth. and we all want JUSTICE.

I don't know a lot of things but I do know that Profolol caused MJs untimely passing and Murray administered it.

Before we all go off on each other and the thread blows up... can we keep in mind to disagree with each other respectfully as the person above you and below you (posts) are all presumably MJ fans.

Thank you for your respectful post. I hope this can be an example that will be followed about how to discuss this sensitive issue. :clapping:

Thank you. Respect is paramount. As soon as I saw the title I was already thinking "Oh boy, here we go again, people are not gonna like this. It'll prolly be locked in the next 10-15 minutes." It shouldn't be like that. =(

I guess that's just too simple, so there MUST be a conspiracy involved!

I actually think he looks pretty hot in the orange pants. :D

And paranoid, and unable to accept the simplicity of how he died too. This idea of a grand scheme... with people conspiring to kill Michael, just for money, just doesn't work for me. Not everyone in the world is out for money and trying to shaft (muchless MURDER) someone else. *I* have a motive to go rob my local bank.... MONEY. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it. My morals would prevent me from that, and the fear of getting caught. But with the accusations of this mass conspiracy to murder Michael, I guess *everyone* involved had low morals. I'm not buying it. :no:

I agree with you. MJ has had the Beatles catalog for over 20 years. Why would they kill him for it now?

I don't think these folks have thought this thing through. I hate that it makes us fans look crazy and "not very smart".

Thanks mjjfan4ever. That was really well said. However, it must be noted that Michael being thin did play a role in his death. It pharmacologically correct that the amount of Propofol or any drug for that matter needed must decrease as a person's weight decreases. If Michael had really been at a sound healthy weight, the effects may have been less tragic.

Exactly Memefan. Why now? He was in more dept now than he was 20 years ago. Any profit from the Sony catalog can only be realized after all depts are paid off.

And hasn't AEG lost a ton of money too since MJ died and they had to refund the tickets, plus all the This Is It tour merchandise sales are lost because of his death? They would've been better off with him alive.

Thanks mjjfan4ever. That was really well said. However, it must be noted that Michael being thin did play a role in his death. It pharmacologically correct that the amount of Propofol or any drug for that matter needed must decrease as a person's weight decreases. If Michael had really been at a sound healthy weight, the effects may have been less tragic.

You know, I never really thought of it like that. Your dosage of medication, especially via an I.V. is based off of weight. What if Murray had the wrong or out dated weight for Michael, yet continued to give him a stronger dose based on that old weight?

That is very interesting. Thank you for your observation!

It's important to read the Reuters article carefully. These fans are NOT callling for a boycott of the movie. They are asking that people watch the film with open-minds. Being open-minded is a GOOD thing? Isn't it?

The article says THIS:

They say they became so concerned about Jackson's health that on June 21, four days before his death, they wrote to him asking him to stop the tour if he was not up to it.

"It is our wish to help people understand where the responsibilities lie, pertaining to Michael Jackson's passing, in the hope that if they choose to watch the film, they will do so with critical eyes," the group said in a written statement."

And hasn't AEG lost a ton of money too since MJ died and they had to refund the tickets, plus all the This Is It tour merchandise sales lost because of his death too?

Actually, they have not lost "a ton of money." They are co-producing the TII movie with Sony, and the box-office estimates are looking like they will reap significant profits. As far as ticket refunds are concerned, many fans chose to keep the tickets as souvenirs, and the losses were not what they would have been if the concerts were cancelled. They will come out far ahead financially when all is said-and-done. Of course, the estate and Michael's children will also receive funds from the profits.

Eyewitness reports by MANY people who saw Michael daily for weeks (and longer) is a very legitimate form of evidence. These fans are all in agreement about their concern for Michael, based on what they witnessed first-hand. It would not have been reported by a reputable news agency, otherwise. Reuters is very well respected as a news outlet.

I agree... I think honestly the fact this Reuters carried this does say something. Honestly, I was surprised.

I hope in time the truth will come out.

I plan to see the movie several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back