Quincy Jones' Latest Interviews *Update Post 25*

Re: Quincy Jones: 'I knew how to handle Michael'

lol..i think there are three threads dedicated to this article.

Q is a legend , one of the very few last living legends !

Q learned Michael a lot ,but michael had to go on his own journey and his albums were great after bad too.Dangerous is my favourite album:)Quincy seams a little upset because Michael become greater then him, that he was not just a kid that he knew "How to handle" but an artist with his own path!

Who counts how many people have died? Just saying

Hard with Q, legend yes but he never fully accepted Michael

Who counts how many people have died? Just saying

Hard with Q, legend yes but he never fully accepted Michael

I agree. I like their works together, but Quincy seems to hold a kind of bitterness against Michael because he left him after Bad.

I don't know if that quote about hip-hop is true, since Michael used hip-hop on his next album, but I personally wouldn't miss it if he hadn't, so I don't really care what Michael thought of hip-hop. I think hip-hop is overrated anyway.

Re: Quincy Jones was just on the one show (bbc1)

I saw Quincy Jones on the The One Show. He didn't really talk about Michael's talent, and my opinion he kind of took sole credit for Thriller and We Are The World when the presenters asked Quincy something like "how do you come up with ideas to produce music for the Thriller the biggest selling album of all time, and We Are The Worl, the biggest selling single of all time". It's Billie Jean and Beat It that set Thriller off to become the biggest selling album of all time, and Michael wrote, composed and co-produced those two No.1 singles. We Are The World was co-written and composed by Michael Jackson & Lionel Richie, Quincy had nothing to to with the actual creation of that song. Producers are very important, no one denies Quincy his credit in Michael's career. But Michael was the main source of the songs that created the amazing success of the music Quincy produced for Michael from 1979-87.

Without Michael interviewers would never have been interested in Quincy Jones, and most of today's producers wouldn't have even name him as in influence.

Quincy had a some shades on given to him by Stella McCartney. Quincy said he'd known her since she was 11yrs old. Quincy knows her through Michael, because it's Michael who introduced Paul McCartney and his family to Quincy Jones.

The story Quincy told about Michael's pet python who he mistakenly called Bubbles (Bubbles was Michael's pet chimp), was called Muscles. That story was quite funny. I found what Quincy said about Michael's death very sad, and you could see the hurt ( guess hurt also through guilt as he turned his back on Michael in 2003) in his eyes. He said that when Michael was in the UK to announce his concerts, he was also in London and Michael asked him to meet up, but Quincy said he was busy and had to fly some where for a concert or something. But said he told Michael they would meet in LA in a few month. Then when he was on his way back to the USA in June, he was told in an airport of Michael's death. That was really said to hear, but as much as I wish I could respect Quincy as I once did I can't. All that crap he said about Michael bleaching his skin, before and even after his death was horrible and two faced.

I don't like Quincy taking credit for Michael's works. I have seen people referring to WATW as a Lionel Richie-Quincy Jones song (without mentioning Michael) and Quincy does nothing to refute these myths, in fact he feeds them. No he doesn't say he wrote WATW per se, but he acts as if he did and the media act as if he did. He only ever co-wrote one song on Michael's albums and that was P.Y.T. - a nice little song, but not one of Michael's biggest hits.

And I don't understand why is he so bitter. Michael always went out his way to give him credit as a producer and a big help to him, he always mentioned him, always brought him up on stage during award ceremonies and so on. Actually it's pretty unusal that an artist gives a producer so much credit, so I think he should be satisfied with that and not try to take even more credit and act as if he has written the songs on Thriller and so on.

WATW25 was a massive fiasco that made me feel sick. Quincey Jones and Lionel Richie lauding it up for the first ones success, taking all the credit for creating the song when Michael was the one that did 98% of that song. Its his song, Lionel changed two words, and here they were taking all the credit for it. It made me angry.

if that is the case, then Jones is juvenile. if a person can't separate business from personal, then they shouldn't be in the business.

i agree and smetimes i think he get agitated b/c the majority well maybe all considered his best work was with michael despite working with lots of artists such as billie holiday, ray charles, sammie davis and etc i remember in another interview jst a few years back stating he doesn't want to be remember just as mj's producer

Listen to the demo of We Are The World...MJ's demo before Quincy or Lionel got their hands on it. You'll see who the real creator of that song was. MJ literally came up with 98% of the whole melody/lyrics.

I think that the demo of We Are The World is better than the version that got released

I love this part of the song

We are the world,
Shamone
We are the children,
Shalingen!
We are the one to make a brighter day,
Shamone

I'm not sure if those lyrics are right but that's what i hear lol.

What MJ worked out was he and his brand were bigger than a genre.

That's pretty much the reason why remember the time or give in to me sound fresh and boom shake the room ... Well you get the idea

Q is a legend , one of the very few last living legends !

Quincy is a d!*%$!!!

Now he is blaming MJ for his own death.... ??

:no:

He's been repeating that hip hop story since 1902...poor senile old man.

and let the Q bashing begin...

I won't bash him for this article. His being fired makes a few things clear to me. Regardless of the reason, it hurts when you're dismissed. MJ and Quincy were riding the biggest wave imaginable in the 80's. To be abruptly knocked off it, would wound anyone. The friendship was apparently forever altered for Quincy, because some of his comments after MJ's death were IMO reprehensible to the extent that I don't believe he was a friend of MJ's at all anymore. It was mostly surface for him. I wonder if he even LIKED him anymore. Which is okay. Each to his own. Because I know I don't like him much anymore.

AFter last summer I will never respect Quincy. I think he should stop talking about Michael completely.

Actually Lionel Richie wrote the melody on We are the World and he came up with the title. MJ wrote all the other lyrics. I don't like the bashing of two people who were very close to Michael. Lionel Richie had dinner with him two weeks prior to Michael's passing, so it wasn't like he had abandoned him. At the same occation Paris met his daughter Sofia and they are now best friends.

Lord, bring MJ back and take that old idiot ... Please.

II love this part of the song

We are the world,
Shamone
We are the children,
Shalingen!
We are the one to make a brighter day,
Shamone

I'm not sure if those lyrics are right but that's what i hear lol.

:lol: :lol:

Hahahaha thats a classic!

I love "shalingen"!

"The dude" had Justin Bieber do a solo on the horrendous We Are The World Part II. Yes, he is now senile.

No, thats just smart. He was appealing to a younger audience as well.

Quincy is a very old man now, give him a break. With age a lot of us will become grumpier, and even bitter. Not all of us, but a lot of people end up like that when they are older. I think a lot of us forget that celebrities are people too. If this was just a regular person in everyday life, you would probably consider the fact that they are old.

Last edited:

Actually Lionel Richie wrote the melody on We are the World and he came up with the title. MJ wrote all the other lyrics. I don't like the bashing of two people who were very close to Michael. Lionel Richie had dinner with him two weeks prior to Michael's passing, so it wasn't like he had abandoned him. At the same occation Paris met his daughter Sofia and they are now best friends.

I personally do not have a problem with Lionel. I have never heard of him speak anything but live for MJ. But Quincy is different. When MJ was working on a new album, he was asked if he would work with Quincy again, and he said, "Sure". Quincy said, "I've been there, done that." (or something to that affect). There was also word that he was telling producers not to work with Mj. That MJ was too difficult in the studio. If all true it really shows some resentment on Quincy's side that Michael evidently did not feel. It is something he definitely cannot make up for now.

How involved was Quincy with the Bad album? I hear that he wasn't as involved as he was for Thriller and Off the Wall

His diplomacy cracks at the mention of Lady Gaga, though. Why is he rolling his eyes? "I don't listen to her," he says. Why not? "Cos I heard it a couple of times!" He falls about: twice was apparently enough.

In my opinion, Mr. Jones is just a BITTER old man, who believes that the music industry begins and ends with him!

It now appears that he has a "problem" with Gaga. LOL! Could it be that he is STILL upset that Gaga did not participate in the DISASTER that was "We Are The World 25?"

I have a feeling if Gaga had made an appearance in WATW25, Quincy would be singing her praises right about now.

In my opinion, Mr. Jones is just a BITTER old man, who believes that the music industry begins and ends with him!

Exactly, so give him a break. We all change as we get older. Getting older generally does make you grumpy, and bitter to a certain extent.

Exactly, so give him a break. We all change as we get older. Getting older generally does make you grumpy, and bitter to a certain extent.
I beg to differ!

I'm not as old as Mr. Jones, but I ain't no spring chicken either. (LOL!) And I can tell you that I am one HAPPY CAMPER.

A lot of folks in Mr. Jones' age bracket are HAPPILY enjoying the fruits of their labor, the attention from their grandchildren and the success of their grown children.

Being older is NOT an excuse for being grumpy and/or bitter. And in Mr. Jones' case, just plain RUDE.

Case in point, "rolling his eyes" when asked about Gaga. That, in my opinion, was just plain rude! Those are the actions of a teenage girl not a grown man.

I beg to differ!

I'm not as old as Mr. Jones, but I ain't no spring chicken either. (LOL!) And I can tell you that I am one HAPPY CAMPER.

A lot of folks in Mr. Jones' age bracket are HAPPILY enjoying the fruits of their labor, the attention from their grandchildren and the success of their grown children.

Being older is NOT an excuse for being grumpy and/or bitter. And in Mr. Jones' case, just plain RUDE.

Case in point, "rolling his eyes" when asked about Gaga. That, in my opinion, was just plain rude! Those are the actions of a teenage girl not a grown man.

I realise its not the case for everyone. But to a lot of people, age does that. He wasnt like that when he was younger, so its quite clearly age that has done it to him.

Old age is used to justify many regular peoples behaviour, it shouldnt be any different with celebrities.

I'd probably be a bit bitter if I were him as well. Sitting there realising your not what you used to be and that your time has passed. Id be bitter and grumpy too. Old age hits us in different ways.

It now appears that he has a "problem" with Gaga. LOL! Could it be that he is STILL upset that Gaga did not participate in the DISASTER that was "We Are The World 25?"

I have a feeling if Gaga had made an appearance in WATW25, Quincy would be singing her praises right about now.

Or he just doesn't like her music. Which I kind of understand if you see the list of people he has worked with during his life. They seem to be the complete opposite of her so it could just not be his taste of music. I don't really see what's wrong with that.

I agree with the people saying he is just getting old now. I think at some point he realised he wasn't going to relive the "on top of the world" time he had with Michael in the 80's and maybe that's why he started to say questionable / bitter things. I definitly don't agree with some of the stuff he said about Michael in the last few years. Why he can't seem to give Michael credit anymore is something I don't understand.

Or he just doesn't like her music. Which I kind of understand if you see the list of people he has worked with during his life. They seem to be the complete opposite of her so it could just not be his taste of music. I don't really see what's wrong with that.
Let's see, he has worked with Ella, Lena, Sammy, Justin Bieber and the auto-tune king "what's his name."

You're correct Gaga's music is completely opposite the latter 2. I see your point. LOL!

But seriously, not liking a person's music (whether it be Gaga or another artist) is no excuse for being rude, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Let's see, he has worked with Ella, Lena, Sammy, Justin Bieber and the auto-tune king "what's his name."

You're correct Gaga's music is completely opposite the latter 2. I see your point. LOL!

But seriously, not liking a person's music (whether it be Gaga or another artist) is no excuse for being rude, in my opinion.

But in my opinion, old age is an excuse for rudeness. In some cases.

He only worked with Justin Bieber and "what's his name" on the We are the world fiasco.
I highly doubt he picked the artists he personally liked for that project. It seemed to be more important to get the "popular" artists to be involved. (hence the ones you mentioned)

Look I was just saying he might not be a fan of hers. Not everyone loves her.I don't really understand why that is such a bad thing.
If you feel he made it known in a rude way then that is something seperate. He seems to say things rudely a lot more nowadays for no real apparant reason. If you disagree with him doing that I can understand. It's not always necessary I agree.

Back