OH NO! Halperin's documentary sold to 50 broadcasters worldwide!!

bobmoo79

Proud Member
http://tbivision.com/article.php?category=4&article=1562

"Shine sells Jackson doc to 50 territories
11/06/10

Shine International has sold Michael Jackson documentary Gone Too Soon and has sold it to 50 broadcasters internationally with plans to air it on the anniversary of his death.

The distributor has sold the two hour documentary, which is based on Ian Halperin's best selling book Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson, to US cable network TV Guide Network, which will air it on June 25.

The film, which has interviews with his manager, spiritual adviser and bodyguards as well as exclusive footage of Jackson himself, has also been sold to Globosat (Brazil), ProSiebenSat.1 (Germany), Fox International Channels (Italy/Greece), Mediaworks (New Zealand), Antenna1 (Romania), Foxtel (Australia), RTE (Ireland), TVNorge (Norway), MNet (South Africa), TV3 (Denmark), CPI (Philippines) and the Middle East's MBC.

Gone Too Soon was produced by Objective Films and Ian Halperin Productions and was exec produced by Shine's Chris Grant, Jarred Weisfeld and Sarah Girgis. "

Produced by 'Objective Films' eh? Objective My ASS!

UPDATE: REVIEW FROM JACKBO AT MJSTAR:

Hi, guys
Yesterday I attended the premiere screening of Ian Halperins 90 min documentary "Gone Too Soon", to be aired on a massive number of TV stations around the world june 25th. Thought you might wanna read a true fan's immediate reaction. So here, goes;

The film is not very controversial, and does not really shed ANY new light on anything regarding Michael or his passing. Halperin is without doubt sympathetic to MJ, which is nice. He is confident that MJ was innocent of all allegations of pedephila, and there is no dwelling on his previous allegations of MJs gay preferences. The only controversial point Halperin tries to make, is that his personal belief is that Prince and Paris are the kids of dr. Arnold Klein, and Blanket the son of Omer Batthi. But this comes across only as very bad journalism, and not really as a newsworthy information... Ian himself dismisses the question as "irrelevant".

Basically, to me, the movie is a boring, badly put together, superficial, pretentious piece of trash television. If anything, the documentary could have been of some interest to a non-fan who had not read a newspaper or seen TV the last couple of years, as it is a walk through the endless number of speculations and rumors that we have already heard form different speculative sources.

However, the documentary totally suffers from lack of direction, drama, tension, suspense, logic...any given quality you expect from a production that intends to grasp your attention for 90 minutes.It is simply a very badly crafted production. Unprofessional and without merit, as there is no storytelling progression but an endless variety of repetions of the obviuos ... like 10 minutes of different talking heads about the incompetent behaviour of dr. Murray.

It starts off with a promise that Halperin has a story to tell about what killed Michael Jackson... "Greed". As it turns out, there is nothing concrete to substantiate this, unless you accept that the monetary aspect of showbiz is "greed", that the industry makes entertainers work hard, and that hard work through a long and turbulent life eventually turned MJ into an exhausted insomniac who took is death from an accident with dubious sleeping-aid from a doctor who should have known better. Fair enough, but there is no justification to wrap this up as an "undercover journalist" documentary.

There is a sit down-interview with Frank Dileo. Then again, Dileo is the only character appearing in the movie who seems to have any relevant connection to MJ. All the other are at best distant figures in his life, whose stories seem very unqualified and irrelevant. It is simply put VERY BORING to se a dozen of talking heads such as a random "psychotherapist", a mediocre comedian, the ever-present Jackson-lawyer Brian Oxman or whoever elderly whatshisname share their personal points of views on Michael´s destiny.

There is absolutely no MJ-related music in the film, and all clips of him are shamelessly downloaded from youtube, i.e. bad quality recordings that are already seen by people who are interested, and of no worth for people who are not.

The lowest point of the film is where Ian brags about having gone undercover as a workout client from Canada, to learn about MJ from personal trainer Lou "Hulk" Ferrigno. Ian shows up for a training session with Lou in sunglasses and a hood and basically conducts a totally lame interview for the open camera. One sits and wonder what on earth this has to do with supposedly "undercover" journalism.

There is no line of storytelling, no point to be made or significant question to be asked. Everything is pure speculation, speculation that is not even motivated by the premise of the film. A total embarrasment for the author and production company, who have had the nerve to sell their unfinished product around the world well in advance of their premiére, simply because the networks are willing to buy anything that can be scheduled as a suitable tribute to MJ on the anniversary of his passing.

I really wish there would be a thourough, interesting and respectful documentary about MJ and his life, a life that contains so much story and emotion that it could inspire the world in a biblical way, had it been
produced in the quality his lifestory deserves.

Last edited:
I just read this on Google news. I'm worried...this man is anything but reliable. He is pure tabloid. Now tens of millions of people all around the world are going to sit through this crap.

fuc.k that piece of s*** (sorry for the language lol) that's all I'm going to say. this person makes me sick to my stomach...who's going to watch this crap anyway?

+ I can't believe they're actually going to air this junk on June 25!

Last edited:
http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/421505_tvgif10.html

"TV Guide Network to Premiere Michael Jackson Documentary Gone Too Soon

By JOYCE ENG
TV GUIDE
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Jackson...9446.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05
related.gif

.tvgright {background-image: url(/art2/tvguide/bgright.gif);}#tigtable td.tvgright {font: 10px arial,sans-serif; color: #fff;}.tvgright a {color: #fff;}.tvgright a:hover {color: yellow;}#relatedbox {padding: 0;}#tigtable {margin-top: 1px;}#tigtable td {margin: 0; padding: 0;}#tigheads {padding: 0 10px;}#tigheads p {margin: -15px 0 3px 0; padding: 0;}
spacer.gif

· TV Listings
· TV Recaps
· Video Guide
· Photos

TV Guide Network will premiere a new Michael Jackson documentary, Gone Too Soon, on June 25 to mark the one-year anniversary of his death.

The two-hour special, which will air on the same day in more than 50 countries, comes from author and filmmaker Ian Halperin, who penned the 2009 New York Times best-selling book Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson. Culled from more than 300 hours of footage shot before and after Jackson's death, Gone Too Soon will focus on the end of Jackson's life, as recounted by those who were closest to him, including the singer's personal manager, chef, spiritual advisor, hairstylist and bodyguard. The film also includes exclusive audio and video of Jackson himself.

"I couldn't see Gone Too Soon airing on any other channel besides TV Guide Network," Halperin, who spent more than five years researching Jackson, said in a statement. "With the success they had with the Susan Boyle special, this proved to be the right home not only for the movie but also for my brand. I hope this is long-lasting relationship."
"Michael Jackson was the biggest entertainer in the world," said Diane Robina, executive vice president of programming and marketing at TV Guide Network. "A year after his death, people are still fascinated with his life story. We're thrilled to participate in this global media event by presenting this gripping documentary to his fans across the U.S." Gone Too Soon premieres June 25 at 9/8c on TV Guide Network."

Huh?!? So Halperin thinks he has a brand? WTF?

I just read this on Google news. I'm worried...this man is anything but reliable. He is pure tabloid. Now tens of millions of people all around the world are going to sit through this crap.

idk i mean mj fans are aware of this guy, but on music channels they are going to air marathons of his videos, interviews, performances and show this is it, i mean who's going pass up this over some biased documentary about his death over a man who doesn't even know him unless it closed minded people

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/re...guide-network-2010-06-10?reflink=MW_news_stmp

"press release
June 10, 2010, 8:07 a.m. EDT · Recommend · Post:

Revealing New Documentary on the Death of Michael Jackson to Premiere on TV Guide Network
GONE TOO SOON To Air In More Than 50 Countries On The Anniversary of The King of Pop's Death, June 25

LOS ANGELES, Jun 10, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- --TV Guide Network to Premiere GONE TOO SOON from 9:00-11:00 pm, ET/PT

As a performer, he was legendary. As a man, he was a mystery.

Now, with the help of acclaimed author and filmmaker Ian Halperin, many of the questions surrounding Michael Jackson's death will receive new light in the two-hour special, GONE TOO SOON, premiering in the U.S. on Friday, June 25 from 9-11 PM, ET/PT on TV Guide Network. In an unprecedented global TV event, this documentary, which is distributed by Shine International, will also air on the same day in more than 50 countries.

Conceived as a follow-up to Halperin's 2009 New York Times #1 best-selling book Unmasked: The Final Years Of Michael Jackson, GONE TOO SOON examines the end of Jackson's life, as told by the people who attended to him each day. In addition, Halperin goes undercover in the film with some of Jackson's closest advisors to uncover what their secret thoughts and feelings may reveal about his untimely death. Exhaustive in its research and material, GONE TOO SOON is drawn from more than 300 hours of footage shot before and immediately following Jackson's death.

As one of the top unauthorized biographers in publishing today, Halperin leaves no stone unturned, interviewing everyone who was close to Jackson in his final years, including his personal manager, chef, spiritual advisor, hairstylist and bodyguard. The film also includes exclusive audio and video of the King of Pop himself.

Halperin, who predicted Michael Jackson's death six months before he died, spent over five years researching Jackson, during which he discovered a remarkable, yet unknown story. After Jackson's death, Halperin set out to discover the truth, and interviewed people close to Jackson during the last weeks of Michael's life, including Dr. Deepak Chopra, Lou Ferrigno and Brian Oxman, providing for the first time ever a vivid, behind-the-scenes account of what really happened.

"I couldn't see GONE TOO SOON airing on any other channel besides TV Guide Network," said Halperin. "With the success they had with the Susan Boyle special, this proved to be the right home not only for the movie but also for my brand. I hope this is a long lasting relationship."

"Michael Jackson was the biggest entertainer in the world," stated Diane Robina, TV Guide Network's Executive Vice President of Programming and Marketing. "A year after his death, people are still fascinated with his life story. We're thrilled to participate in this global media event by presenting this gripping documentary to his fans across the U.S."

"Michael Jackson remains the biggest celebrity in the world, and on the anniversary of his death, fans around the world will be given a new glimpse into his life via GONE TOO SOON," said Chris Grant, President of Shine International. "At Shine International, we're always seeking breakthrough, original content that will resonate with global audiences. With this documentary airing in more than 50 countries, we've once again proven that, with our strong broadcaster relationships, we have the ability to create international TV events."

Global TV distribution company Shine International is distributing the documentary on behalf of Ian Halperin Productions and Objective Films, to air on the same day as part of a worldwide media event to commemorate Michael Jackson's death. In addition to TV Guide Network in the U.S., it will air on the following outlets: Discovery across Latin America; Brazil's Globosat; Germany's ProSieben SAT 1 Media; Fox International Channels Italy; Fox International Channels Greece; Fox International Channels Turkey; New Zealand's Mediaworks; Romania's Antenna1; Australia's FOXTEL; Ireland's RTE; Norway's TVNorge; South Africa's MNET; TV3 in Denmark; CPI in the Philippines; and MBC across the Middle East, as part of an ongoing output deal.

A production of Ian Halperin Productions and Objective Films, GOON TOO SOON is produced by Ian Halperin, Chris Grant, Jarred Weisfeld, and Sarah Girgis. "

NZ gets to watch this prime time on the 26th... you'd think they could put something worthwhile on to mark the anniversary.

And it's worse coz it's not even on the music channel it's on TV3 which is one of the top 3 most watched channels so heaps of people will see this here. NZ's view on Michael is bad enough as it is

Last edited:
Oh FFS. Please do NOT watch this crap, and educate everyone that you can that it is nonsensical crap.

idk i mean mj fans are aware of this guy, but on music channels they are going to air marathons of his videos, interviews, performances and show this is it, i mean who's going pass up this over some biased documentary about his death over a man who doesn't even know him unless it closed minded people

This show is being advertised as a revealing documentary from a guy who does know what he's talking about through 5 years of investigation and from being in the MJ camp. The fact he predicted MJ's death will also add credibility to the documentary.

Unfortunately many people will see it and many people will take it seriously because they have no reason to think otherwise. They don't have the knowledge we do.

The saddest thing about this is that there will be people who will watch this crap and believe every word that is said on there. Sometimes i don't know what's worse, the people who write crap like this or the people who are stupid enough to buy into it

This show is being advertised as a revealing documentary from a guy who does know what he's talking about through 5 years of investigation and from being in the MJ camp. The fact he predicted MJ's death will also add credibility to the documentary.

Unfortunately many people will see it and many people will take it seriously because they have no reason to think otherwise. They don't have the knowledge we do.

Indeed. People never question the media, they never stop and think, do they actually really know this. They always take it as fact that they do, but actually in todays age of the Internet, they don't know anymore than we do, and in the case of MJ, they know less.

I'm thankful that, in America, NOBODY really watches "The TV Guide Channel". In my opinion, it's not really a television channel, it's just there to tell you whats on television and a bunch of folks don't even have that particular channel. Thank God!

I guess MTV, VH1, E-Entertainment, A&E, BET, The Biography Channel, nor TVOne was interested in this piece of crap!

The saddest thing about this is that there will be people who will watch this crap and believe every word that is said on there. Sometimes i don't know what's worse, the people who write crap like this or the people who are stupid enough to buy into it

Both.

It's sad. He's not reliable, but only fans know about this. And I am pretty sure, we won't see this, but the others will and... Gosh, will this bashing on MJ never stop? :doh:
Between June 24th-26th I won't turn my tv or the radio on. I am sick of everyones making money on MJ, producing crappy programs, which are being sold only because they're about Michael. :mad:

I think alot of channels will be playing MJ documentaries on June 25th. Thankfully TV guide here in Canada is not that popular at all. I'd be curious to see what MTV, Much Music, BET, A&E, FOX, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, CTV, and BBC will be playing. Now those channels gather lots of viewers!

I think I'm gonna be sick. I HATE that once again these self-serving "insiders" (minus Ferrigno, who was just pulled in and doesn't know that this is a BAD thing.) will be lending credibility. And oh, look! There's Oxman again. Anyone wanna guess what his story is gonna be? SMDH. And it infuriates me to no end that he's using such a sweet title (and Michael's own song!) to promote this. How disgusting. And it sounds like a nice doc that I'd probably watch if I didn't know any better. Classic bait and switch, as always. Does the estate have any say at all in what's released?

Does anyone have the contact of the Estate lawyer?

He has to know what is happening.

Even responsible for documentaries can be sued.

Sadly The people that will watch this will be ones surfing the TV Guide Channel that day (and most likely repeated days) to find something to watch on TV. If there's nothing on,television they will get focused on this Crap. People old & young..non MJ fans & possibly people who are curious about Michael but don't know alot of him and think that this crap is true. I hope those that see this who don't know better will not buy into it. So, I feel it will be up to the people who know the difference to help inform others about such Trash as Halperins dishing out. I would like to help keep Michael Jackson's Legacy clear of this absolute rubbish.

I would like to edit this to also say that yes, Thank God that hopefully more people will choose to watch the videos etc...But I think that's why Halperin chose The TV Guide Channel,because he knows just what I stated above. There's always a 'target audience' to take advantage of - and he seems to chose The TV Guide Channel,sadly to do so.

..and Yes..alot of people do watch The TV Guide Channel.

Last edited:
Goodness why are you people having a cow over this? Who cares who gives a flame about what is being shown on TV? How about this just don't watch it that is all. You put yourself through this aggravation every time someone says or writes something about Michael if you don't know the truth about Michael now then you are lost. To hell with him

Goodness why are you people having a cow over this? Who cares who gives a flame about what is being shown on TV? How about this just don't watch it that is all. You put yourself through this aggravation every time someone says or writes something about Michael if you don't know the truth about Michael now then you are lost. To hell with him

I'll make a documentary saying horrible things about you. But do not worry. Just do not watch.

Oh please all of the things said about Michael over the years when he was here and I am sure knew about it you ever see him flip out? Ever hear him scream and holler? Michael was called everything but a child of God in his life time what some asshole says now means nothing. But you go ahead and watch it i like am sure you will and cry and your coffee about it later. I will be doing other things that night like living

I personally will not be watching the show, and neither will many of MJ’s hardcore internet fanbase. We know all about Halperin, but burying your head in the sand does not make a problem go away and MJ's legacy doesn't rely on Ostriches anyway. It's the wider public that will carry his legacy and every defamatory story and ridiculous documentary that detracts from his success to boost viewers can damage it. The more believable the documentary, the more damaging it can be. Yes,MJ had a habit of burying his head in the sand too and look what good that did. He should have stepped on the cockroaches decades ago but he never did and so they multiplied.

Michael suffered all his life from the media telling ugly lies about him. Now even after he's gone they don't stop..of course we should care, of course it bothers us if not the fans then who?
Its not fair to Michae's memory & disrespect for his children. Even when the person is not here anymore they don't leave him alone..they do anything for money..it makes me sick!

This is disguisting. How disrespectful these people are. Airing this filth on the anniversary of Michael's death! Wishing this could be stopped somehow!:angry::mat:

But you did not really think they were going to stop now that he was gone? No the only difference is they have more free reign to do it. And there is nothing you can do about it. Oh yeah yes there is just don't watch it. They make there money through ratings so don't give them none

Oh please all of the things said about Michael over the years when he was here and I am sure knew about it you ever see him flip out? Ever hear him scream and holler? Michael was called everything but a child of God in his life time what some asshole says now means nothing. But you go ahead and watch it i like am sure you will and cry and your coffee about it later. I will be doing other things that night like living

So because Michael had to endure the lies when he was alive can the lies continue after death?

I'm sick of people like you who think that all the absurdities and crimes against the man may be tolerated.

I try to respect the opinion of others, but my desire is to tell you to go to a "no so nice" place.

They will show that in CINEMAS and You say: just don't watch it.

To hell with you.

I personally will not be watching the show, and neither will many of MJ’s hardcore internet fanbase. We know all about Halperin, but burying your head in the sand does not make a problem go away and MJ's legacy doesn't rely on Ostriches anyway. It's the wider public that will carry his legacy and every defamatory story and ridiculous documentary that detracts from his success to boost viewers can damage it. The more believable the documentary, the more damaging it can be. Yes,MJ had a habit of burying his head in the sand too and look what good that did. He should have stepped on the cockroaches decades ago but he never did and so they multiplied.

I think alot of channels will be playing MJ documentaries on June 25th. Thankfully TV guide here in Canada is not that popular at all. I'd be curious to see what MTV, Much Music, BET, A&E, FOX, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, CTV, and BBC will be playing. Now those channels gather lots of viewers!

I am also curious as to what those channels will show that day as well. Also FUSE channel etc. Just today I was surfing ONDemand (on Cable) and certain station have already put up a Michael Jackson section. So far Fuse (music channel) & E! have added a Michael Jackson section as I have seen so far. I hope more follow suit...as I am hoping for a celebration (for the good) of Michael's Life & Art that day.

Last edited:

why the text is white? you spoke the truth! well said :clapping:

Back