OFFICAL: This Is It Blu Ray & DVD Set To Release JAN 26 2010 (Pics Included) [Merged]

Re: OFFCIAL: This Is It Blu Ray & DVD Set To Release JAN 26 2010 (Pics Included) [Merged]

It seems the extras haven't been signed off yet - now the DVD's *may* include the TII Short Film ("pending from Sony Music") whereas there is no mention of this on the Blu-ray specs? Hmmm....

Hmmm..... Methinks Imma be my usual self and wait til the very last minute to make a decision on this. Gonna wait until Dec. 23rd to decide. Right now I'm thinking Blu-ray all the way becuz it seems to be the one with the most footage but with all the different choices, it's getting confusing. It's like T25 when some of us were buying multiple copies just to get all the different extras that came with each version. Oy!

Thanks to all for the info and updates. Much appreciated. :flowers:

Re: OFFCIAL: This Is It Blu Ray & DVD Set To Release JAN 26 2010 (Pics Included) [Merged]

P.S. - Yay at the free photo booklet along with extra special features on the Blu-Ray!

12424897.jpg

Wow, great. I need a Blu-ray player:(
I want the Collector's edition too, but it will never release in my country:cry:

The 'Unfinished Rehearsals' featurette is like a ghost. Sometimes it is listed and sometimes it isn't.

Does it exist or not?

I'm going to be so angry if it does't. I don't care about the dancer auditions or making of documentaries, which are just a load of talking head interviews.

The only bonus footage I'm interested in is MJ rehearsing the songs that didn't make the movie. I don't understand why some descriptions of the Blu-Ray and collector's edition list it and others don't list it.

The 'Unfinished Rehearsals' featurette is like a ghost. Sometimes it is listed and sometimes it isn't.

Does it exist or not?

I'm going to be so angry if it does't. I don't care about the dancer auditions or making of documentaries, which are just a load of talking head interviews.

The only bonus footage I'm interested in is MJ rehearsing the songs that didn't make the movie. I don't understand why some descriptions of the Blu-Ray and collector's edition list it and others don't list it.

Yes, I agree!
I too don't care about all the dancers bonus stuff and interviews and all of these things, I want Michael and nothing more than that!

Yes, I agree!
I too don't care about all the dancers bonus stuff and interviews and all of these things, I want Michael and nothing more than that!

Totally agree on that one.

More MJ rehearsing and less people talking about how great MJ was.

I just want MJ.

Yes, I agree!
agree.its all about getting as much footage of mj as poss. they need to release all the footage they have

I don't see the need to pre-order unless there are special deals involved with doing so. I've never seen a store not have a new release DVD or Blu-Ray.

I don't see the need to pre-order unless there are special deals involved with doing so. I've never seen a store not have a new release DVD or Blu-Ray.

Yepp!
And I think that going into a shop and buying the blu ray is way cooler than just sittin' and waitin' at home until your door bell rings and the postman brings you your blu ray.

I don't know guys, when it comes to "concert DVD" and "Michael Jackson" in the same sentence (especially after his passing), I fear to hear the words "SOLD OUT" when I get to a store.

I just need some reassurance with my pre-order.

To each it's own.

if they didn't put the extra material of other songs in , it can only mean one thing - THIS IS ALSO IT.

Yes, I agree!I too don't care about all the dancers bonus stuff and interviews and all of these things, I want Michael and nothing more than that!
ITA! NO offense to the dancers and crew. lol

I'm confused...........

Where do they actually sell the "Memorial Edition" DVD??????????

BD -single with additional AV not available on the DVD
• Packaging: (amaray) litho + o-ring (embossed), "theatrical art- white" (key art on litho and o-ring should match)
• AV content:
• Meet the Dancers featurette (10-12 min)
• Meet the Band featurette (15 min)
• Meet the Singers featurette (10-12 min)
• Creating A Comeback Featurette (30 min)
• Theatrical Trailer
• The Gloved One - Costumes featurette :)20 min.)
• Memories of Michael featurette :)20 min.)
• Dancing Machine (20 min)
• Photo gallery
• Plus Smooth Criminal Short film 2-D :)05)
• Plus "Making a Smoother Criminal" :)20)
• Plus New Thriller Short Film (2-D) (5 min)

2DVD

Features: (bonusy)
DVD-double with additional AV (Account Exclusive ONLY!!!!)
Whichever key art you have selected for your NATIONAL SKU, the other key art will be for your account exclusive.
• Packaging:
(amaray) litho + o-ring (embossed) , "theatrical art black", (key art on litho and o-ring should match), will have banner on o-ring and litho to call out 2-disc special edition

AV Content: First disc AV content is the same as the single disc DVD
- Meet the Dancers featurette (10-12 min)
- Meet the Band featurette (15 min)
- Meet the Singers featurette (10-12 min)
- Creating A Comeback Featurette (30 min)
- "This is It" Music Video (NEW) - Pending from Sony Music
- Theatrical Trailer
-The Gloved One - Costumes featurette :)20 min.)
-Memories of Michael featurette :)20 min.)
-plus Dancing Machine (20 min)
-plus DVD photo gallery

1DVD

Features: (bonusy)
DVD- single disc with 60 mins of AV (rental and sell through)
• Packaging : (amaray) litho with "theatrical white" art, NO O-Ring
• AV Content:
- Meet the Dancers featurette (10-12 min)
- Meet the Band featurette (15 min)
- Meet the Singers featurette (10-12 min)
- Creating A Comeback Featurette (30 min)
- "This is It" Music Video (NEW) - Pending from Sony Music
- Theatrical Trailer

OMG -- Now I'm totally CONFUSED! I just want to get the absolute BEST one - even if I have to buy a Blu-Ray. by the way how much is one in US?
I mistakenly got so exited after seeing the movie a few times that I pre-ordered it w/Amazon. Now I'm thinking of canceling and wait.
Any Input???
Thanx for the post.

I'm thinking the best stuff was used for the movie, so there may not be anymore MJ to show. I hope that's not the case, but it is possible

I'm thinking the best stuff was used for the movie, so there may not be anymore MJ to show. I hope that's not the case, but it is possible

You know, I sorta kinda thought this at one point but when the Lightman rehearsal popped up I realized there was STILL some golden moments out there which didn't make the final cut. Remember the Human Nature clips that were released in the previews...and then to compare those to the Human Nature stuff we saw in the film, it was more than I expected. That growling bit he did early on and the "keeping her around" bits where he was testing his voice was priceless. Let's hope there's more of that for the DVD/Blu-ray release.

We also have to remember the film was under a strict time limit so there MAY have been really good parts that were left out solely becuz the runtime would have gone over the limit. Also, certain parts may have been strategically left out becuz it would have messed with the pacing/continuity of the film and/or the direction Kenny wanted to go. Think of it like an album. Not all the songs that don't make the final cut are left off becuz they aren't good enuf or are below par...sometimes they are superb songs that get bumped becuz of space or the artist has a certain pace or feel they are going for and the rejected songs simply don't fit the overall vibe. (i.e. "Carousel" getting chopped from Thriller, "Fly Away" getting chopped from Bad)

Totally agree on that one.

More MJ rehearsing and less people talking about how great MJ was.

I just want MJ

Exactly...we all know how great he was...So just SHOW US!

"The Unfinished Rehearsals" bonus are just for europe because dvd/br will be release on march 1 only. It will contain an alternative "on stage" version of smooth criminal and a presentation of dirty diana.

"The Unfinished Rehearsals" bonus are just for europe because dvd/br will be release on march 1 only. It will contain an alternative "on stage" version of smooth criminal and a presentation of dirty diana.

How do you know?
Do you have any source for this?

If this shit is true, it looks like I'll have to import a copy of the Blu Ray from Europe >_>

Guys, Sony Music made an official press release..:

"MICHAEL JACKSON’S THIS IS IT"

Taking the Stage on Blu-ray™ and DVD on 22nd February 2010, With Over 90 Minutes of Never-Before-Seen Bonus Features Including Two Making-of Documentaries, Costume Featurette and Blu-ray Exclusives Including All-New “Smooth Criminal” and “Thriller” Vignettes as well as movieIQ!

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment offers music lovers a backstage pass to witness the King of Pop plan and create what would have been his electrifying and triumphant return to the stage when MICHAEL JACKSON’S THIS IS IT debuts on Blu-ray, Single Disc and Two-Disc Special Edition DVD on 22nd February 2010. After breaking box office records around the world, MICHAEL JACKSON’S THIS IS IT will dazzle on Blu-ray and DVD. Directed by Kenny Ortega, the Blu-ray and DVD releases will allow fans to go beyond the theatrical experience of the film with the two documentaries “Staging The Return: Beyond The Show” and “Staging The Return: The Adventure Begins,” in which Michael Jackson is shown developing, creating and rehearsing for his sold-out “This Is It” tour. Also available are a series of illuminating featurettes, including “The Gloved One,” a costume themed featurette; “Memories of Michael,” in which cast and crew pay moving tribute to the legacy of Michael Jackson; “Auditions: Searching for the World’s Best Dancers,” spotlighting the search for the show’s incredibly talented backup dancers; and the film’s Theatrical Trailer.

Also included exclusively on the European release is the never-before seen additional featurette ‘The Unfinished Rehearsals’ in which Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
Additional features exclusive to the Blu-ray include the complete and uncut versions of “Smooth Criminal” and “Thriller,” two all-new vignettes seen briefly in the film, along with a special “Making-of Smooth Criminal” featurette. In “Smooth Criminal,” sit back and marvel as Michael Jackson seamlessly shares the screen with some of the greatest movie stars of all-time in a new black and white vignette that celebrates Michael’s love of ‘Old Hollywood.’ Then, in the all-new “Thriller” vignette, watch in awe as Michael brings one of his most popular songs to a monstrous second life in a thrilling new video featuring a whole new cast of zombies, ghosts and ghouls igniting awareness with all-new and signature Jackson dance moves.

Exclusive to the Blu-ray edition of MICHAEL JACKSON’S THIS IS IT are even more must-have bonus features Jackson fans will love, including the BD-Live™ enabled movieIQ, which lets viewers add their favourite songs from the film to an emailable “This is It” playlist. With movieIQ, viewers can also access live trivia information about the movie’s cast, crew, music and production – all while watching the movie! Also included is a Photo Gallery with 75 insider photos from the rehearsals as well as an additional featurette “Dancing Machine” in which Choreographer Travis Payne discusses collaborating with dancing legend Michael Jackson on the choreography for his This Is It tour.
The Blu-ray release also includes an exclusive 24 page photo booklet which is a unique archive of photographs taken during the final rehearsals.

Synopsis
MICHAEL JACKSON’S THIS IS IT offers Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this summer in London’s O2 Arena. Chronicling the months from April through June, 2009, the film is drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show. Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, and genius as he creates and perfects his final show.

MICHAEL JACKSON’S THIS IS IT was directed by Kenny Ortega (High School Musical, Newsies). It was produced by Randy Phillips, Kenny Ortega and Paul Gongaware, with John McClain and John Branca serving as executive producers. It was distributed by Columbia Pictures in association with The Michael Jackson Company and AEG Live. It has a run time of approximately 111 minutes and has been rated PG for some suggestive choreography and scary images.

Single Disc DVD Bonus Material
• “Staging the Return: The Adventure Begins” Making-of Documentary
This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
• “Staging the Return: Beyond the Show” Making-of Documentary
Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson’s final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
• “The Gloved One” Costumes Featurette
Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
• “Memories of Michael” Featurette
Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
• “Auditions: Searching for the World’s Best Dancers” Featurette
A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
• “The Unfinished Rehearsals” Featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotten reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• Theatrical Trailer

Two-Disc Special Edition DVD Bonus Material
• Disc One:
This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson’s final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
• “The Unfinished Rehearsals” Featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• Theatrical Trailer

• Disc Two:
• 3 Featurettes:
• Meet the Dancers
Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
• Meet the Band
Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
• Meet the Vocalists
Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour

Single-Disc Blu-ray Bonus Material
• Meet the Dancers
Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
• Meet the Band
Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
• Meet the Vocalists
Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour
• “Dancing Machine’ featurette
Choreographer Travis Payne discusses collaborating with dancing legend Michael Jackson on the choreography for his This Is It tour.
• “The Unfinished Rehearsals” featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• Photo Gallery with 75 insider photos from the rehearsals
• Theatrical Trailer
• BD Exclusive: “Smooth Criminal” Vignette
The full-length vignette starring Michael Jackson which was to be shown before the performance of “Smooth Criminal” at the This Is It concert.
• BD Exclusive: “Making ‘Smooth Criminal’” Featurette
An in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the groundbreaking production of the new “Smooth Criminal” film created for This Is It.
• BD Exclusive: “Thriller” Vignette
The full-length vignette which was to be shown during the performance of “Thriller” at the This Is It concert.
• BD Exclusive: movieIQ: connects you to access real-time information on the cast, music, trivia and more while watching the movie! Also includes the “This Is It” interactive playlist where you can bookmark your favourite songs featured in the film and email yourself a customized playlist!

Source: Sony Pictures Entertainment

Less chat and more Michael is what we really want. Can't say I'm excited about these special features but I guess we should wait until we see them...

so just because I am in Australia I am supposed to miss out on the 2 extra behind the scenes stuff....that is it..I am moving back to Europe!

so just because I am in Australia I am supposed to miss out on the 2 extra behind the scenes stuff....that is it..I am moving back to Europe!

Or you can order your european copy online!! :D

I don't know guys, when it comes to "concert DVD" and "Michael Jackson" in the same sentence (especially after his passing), I fear to hear the words "SOLD OUT" when I get to a store.

I just need some reassurance with my pre-order.

To each it's own.

Oh no...don't say that.

I don't want to pre-order because I want to go to the store to get it on its release day. I have never heard of a blu-ray selling out on the first day...but one never knows.

After all, the TII CD was sold out in three stores in my area. I had to go to a Walmart to finally get a copy.

Less chat and more Michael is what we really want. Can't say I'm excited about these special features but I guess we should wait until we see them...

Yeah, I'm a bit worried, too but let's wait and see...!

Back