NEW 3D release of THIS IS IT

does that mean they filmed the rehearsals, hello! rehearsals!, with 3D equipment?
noone do this!

does that mean they filmed the rehearsals, hello! rehearsals!, with 3D equipment?
noone do this!
they didn't film it in 3D, but the Thriller/Smooth Criminal/Earth Song parts...
I can't see the reason to bring TII to cinemas for a second time just because of this.

they didn't film it in 3D, but the Thriller/Smooth Criminal/Earth Song parts...
I can't see the reason to bring TII to cinemas for a second time just because of this.

money

Did they not film the rehearsals (majority) with RED cameras?

46870203.jpg

What is a RED camera?

Is that a 3D camera?

well, they won't make (much) money...
I was in TII right on the first day and the cinema was filled less than a half.

+around here people are already annoyed by "Michael Jackson Michael Jackson" all the time since his dead.
oh and TII is available for Blu-Ray and DVD too and was already shown on TV.

I don't see anyone going to the movies for TII again...

noone do this!
No, they didn't film the rehearsals in 3D, but that's not really necessary. Alice in Wonderland, for example, has also been shot with normal/conventional 2D cameras and the footage has been converted into 3D afterwards. I watched it in 3D and didn't see a difference to movies like Avatar, which has been shot with 3D cameras. So technically they could show us TII complete in 3D, not just Smooth Criminal, Earth Song and Thriller.

Releasing more than one version of a movie is quite normal nowadays. Take Avatar, for example. They released it already on Blu-Ry and DVD, with absolutely no extras, just the movie. Now they will show it again with never before seen footage at the cinema. I am sure for Christmas we'll be able to buy Blu-Rays of Avatar in 3D.Talking about milking the cash cow... that's how this business is.

To make all TII into 3D is not worth the effort, so Sony will never do that even if it is possible. This new 3D release is for 13minutes of video only - the vignettes that were filmed specifically in 3D. I presume they will not be included in the film itself as the viewer would have to put on the glasses and take them off at specific times, but will be added in the 'extras' or 'bonus features' section of the DVD / Blu-Ray. That way you can watch each vignette in its entirity in 3D. It doesn't make it clear whether this will be using the red/green 3D glasses or whether this release will be using the 3d Blu-Ray technology that is now being sold for the new 3D TVs. I presume that both formats will be made available. Obviously the new 3D Blu-Ray format will be best as the glasses don't affect the colours you see on screen too much. Just the contrast/brightness.

RED cameras allow films to be shown in a higher definition than is possible with Blu-Ray. In a few years Red-ray may supercede Blu-ray as the home video medium of choice.

P.S The RED camera is not 3D.

Last edited:
With these new 3d-tv's you can actually just upscale the normal blu-ray and even DVD of TII into 3D.

I was testing out some 3D-tv's the other day and the guy in the store said you can upscale any Blu-ray or DVD into 3D and he showed me, he got this normal non-3D Blu-ray film (shame it wasn't TII) and the tv upacaled it into 3d. I was like wow!!.......So this got me thinking, you might be able to upscale Moonwalker and all of MJ's video's/concerts into 3D. Does anyone here own a 3D-tv to see if it works? If it does, imagine it - Thriller video the Bad video, beat it, the way you make me feel, smooth criminal, billie jean motown 25 all in 3D.

Sony Kicks Off IFA 2010 With Impressive 3D Extravaganza Featuring Sir Howard Stringer and Lang Lang

BERLIN, September 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

- Latest Entertainment Showcased in the '3D World Created by Sony'

- 'Qriocity(TM)' Network Service Platform Announced

"The 3D train is moving forward, speedily and steadily, like China's Harmony Express. And Sony clearly has the strongest engine in this 3D express." Sir Howard Stringer, CEO Sony Corporation, said enthusiastically at the press conference of Sony Europe at IFA 2010. As Sony is aggressively blazing the trail in every part of the 3D universe, its hour-long press conference was held entirely in 3D.

An enormous 280-inch LED 3D screen displayed an exciting and varied line-up of 3D entertainment. Movies, the highlights of the 2010 FIFA World Cup(TM), the thrilling finale of 2010 Masters Golf Tournament, stereoscopic 3D games and a recital by Sony Music Entertainment artist ,and Sony's brand ambassador, Lang Lang. His live performance on stage was also filmed and displayed in 3D.

Announcements/displayed at IFA 2010 include:

- VPL-VW90ES Home Projector to enjoy 3D cinema experience in Full HD
1080p

- STR-DA5600ES/3600ES receivers with 3D pass-through and Automatic Phase
Matching

- (prototype) VAIO demonstrates 3D in Full HD, 200Hz high frame rate
technology and LED backlight

- Blu-ray Disc bundle of "Michael Jackson's This Is It" with selected 3D
HD footage

- VUE cinema chain to install Sony 3D projection systems for 670 cinemas
in UK

- (prototype) Sony Internet TV The world's first HDTV powered by Google
TV.

- Handycam DCR-SX15E/SR15E with high-zoom light, compact and easy to use
Standard Definition camcorders

- Bloggie(TM) Touch MHS-TS20K 'All-in-one' web sharing with touch screen,
Full HD video, 360-degree panoramic videos and 12.8 megapixel stills
images

- S-Frame digital photo frames with HD video playback and stereo sound

- Reader PRS-650/350 with touch screen, 2GB memory for storing up to
1,200 books and 12 built-in dictionaries

- XNV-L77BT/L66BT in-car multimedia AV Centre with TomTom navigation

Announcing the launch of Qriocity(TM), Sony's new network service platform that connects many of Sony's network-enabled devices, Fujio Nishida, President Sony Europe said, "Via Qriocity(TM), Sony will deliver a variety of digital entertainment content and services that are "powered by Qriocity", including video, music, game applications, and e-books over time, and through these services, and in combination with its networked devices, Sony aims to bring new and exciting entertainment experiences to customers."

- 'Qriocity(TM)' announcement: Press release from Sony Corporation

Fujio Nishida also highlighted Sony's digital imaging products which are stretching the bounds of innovation this year with a number of world's first technologies, including Translucent Mirror Technology on the ultra-responsive new DSLR a55 and a33; interchangeable lens system on HD camcorder Handycam NEX-VG10E; Exmor R(TM) CMOS Sensor, 3D Sweep Panorama and Sweep Multi Angle on the Cyber-shot WX5 and TX9.

The Sony booth at IFA 2010 will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. CET daily from 3 to 8 September 2010.

For more details please visit our Online Press Office (http://presscentre.sony.eu/), Read the latest news in 3D Vision (http://3d-vision.biz/), our monthly 3D newsletter, Follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/sonyeurope), watch our latest videos on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/sonyeurope).

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Sony Corporation

With these new 3d-tv's you can actually just upscale the normal blu-ray and even DVD of TII into 3D.

I was testing out some 3D-tv's the other day and the guy in the store said you can upscale any Blu-ray or DVD into 3D and he showed me, he got this normal non-3D Blu-ray film (shame it wasn't TII) and the tv upacaled it into 3d. I was like wow!!.......So this got me thinking, you might be able to upscale Moonwalker and all of MJ's video's/concerts into 3D. Does anyone here own a 3D-tv to see if it works? If it does, imagine it - Thriller video the Bad video, beat it, the way you make me feel, smooth criminal, billie jean motown 25 all in 3D.

sure
just think of that!
:wild:
but I hate those glasses

So the 3D version is only released on Blu-Ray or ?

It says - Blu-ray Disc bundle of "Michael Jackson's This Is It" with selected 3D
HD footage

HD sounds like 3D version will not be released on DVD??

What do you think?

^^

OK, I got it right then. Hmm, maybe I'll buy it anyway. :)

CONFIRMED
Due to coincide with the PS3 3-D update in October - Sony will release
THIS IS IT : ENHANCED EDITION

At the moment no further details have been announced but I presume this will be blu-ray only. It does sound like Sony are bundling this with a PS3 but I hope (and I'm sure) they will sell it separately.

I don't believe all of the film will be in 3-D - just Thriller and Earth Song.... but who knows we may get some new footage?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/sony-playstation-3-blu-ray-3d-update-due-in-october/

Last edited:
I would like to se MJ Air in 3D also. See how the concert was supposed to end.

I just KNOW they will add some unseen performance like Dangerous (you know, just to sell some more) in this "new" TII.

It just sucks so bad that you have to pay 8989$ for a new 3D LED TV. Sucks.

I just KNOW they will add some unseen performance like Dangerous (you know, just to sell some more) in this "new" TII.

It just sucks so bad that you have to pay 8989$ for a new 3D LED TV. Sucks.

If you have a PS3 you don't need a 3D LED TV du you ?

When the update comes to the PS3 you'll be able to see TII in 3D on a normal screen if you have glasses on, right ?

3d blu-ray discs are two 2d streams inside. with Powerdvd and TMT3 you can play the 2d if the player don't supports it. Same is with stand alone blu-ray players, it will read it as normal bd.
the structure of 3d discs is the same as normal bd. Just there is extra folder SSIF with .ssif files in the stream folder. Basically you have the movie twice on the disc.

Last edited:

When the update comes to the PS3 you'll be able to see TII in 3D on a normal screen if you have glasses on, right ?

No you need a 3DTV AND a 3D Blu-ray player.
Im afraid just having a PS3 enbled 3D Blu-Ray Player with a standard HDTV will not work.

^ That's right. It's just plain stupid. Not everyone can afford a 3D Blu Ray player AND a 3D LED TV!

Panasonic 3d plasma costs 2500 euro. thats the best 3d tv for now.

No you need a 3DTV AND a 3D Blu-ray player.
Im afraid just having a PS3 enbled 3D Blu-Ray Player with a standard HDTV will not work.

Wow, that really is stupid. I will have to pass this one, definitely I'm not buying a new tv and a player.

I don't have a 3D TV, nor do I know any who has one! :(

That's so sad if it's true.

Good one! :D Sorry but this really made me smile...

I think buying a 3D TV just because of the TII release (which just has some 3D parts) would be absolutely crazy... :smilerolleyes:.

Some more info from www.hollywoodinhidef.com

The 3D footage Michael Jackson intended to be shown in his “This is It” stage show before he died is finally being made available to consumers in an enhanced Blu-ray Disc of the documentary of the same name.

Buried among the many announcements today by Sony Electronics at the IFA conference in Berlin was the news that Sony Pictures Entertainment will be bundling “Michael Jackson’s This Is It – 3D Enhanced Edition” with the purchase of a 3D electronics products.

The company also confirmed that it will be bundling Disney’s “Alice in Wonderland 3D” on 3D Blu-ray.

Details were unavailable about which products the titles will be bundled with in various countries.

The documentary shows Jackson and director Kenny Ortega filming selected scenes in 3D, including “Thriller” and “Earth Song,” the latter of which was broadcast on TV in anaglyph 3D during last year’s Grammy Awards. Ortega also described the planned finale for the stage show in which a visual effect was to make it appear that Michael Jackson was boarding an MJ Airlines jet that would appear to fly over the audience.

Sony Professional also announced a new 3D home projector to be available in Europe in November. The VPL-VW90ES is also capable of taking 2D video and simulating 3D images.

Sony Corp. CEO Sir Howard Stringer said during an hourlong press conference held entirely in 3D with a giant 280-inch LED 3D screen, “The 3D train is moving forward, speedily and steadily, like China’s Harmony Express.”

– By Scott Hettrick

Back