MTV Talking to MJ About Upcoming Video Awards

Maybe he will make an appearance, but then again, maybe not. If the Grammy people were unsuccessful in getting MJ to show, what makes MTV a better prospect?

Well, if MJ had a brand new album/song to promote as opposed to remixes of old songs that may be one. Another could be the proximity of the show to his 50th birthday. I know how unlikely this is, but doing something with MJ and Madonna for their 50th birthdays would be epic.

I still can't stand how MTV has completely slapped a guy in the face who helped put them on the map. It's so disprespectful of both MJ as an individual and of the art of music and music video. Their show is a disgrace that only attracts artists because of the parties and hot women they bring along.

Well, if MJ had a brand new album/song to promote as opposed to remixes of old songs that may be one. Another could be the proximity of the show to his 50th birthday. I know how unlikely this is, but doing something with MJ and Madonna for their 50th birthdays would be epic.

I still can't stand how MTV has completely slapped a guy in the face who helped put them on the map. It's so disprespectful of both MJ as an individual and of the art of music and music video. Their show is a disgrace that only attracts artists because of the parties and hot women they bring along.

I don't see the birthday angle being enough to get either of them to appear.

And we all know what happened when MJ showed up on his birthday once before...

Michael would not purposly NOT go on MTV simply for what they said or did in the past.. He'll do whatever will help him NOW.. If MTV is a good venue, he'll go on it..

Same thing as Sony,even though they did what they did, as long as they will do a good job NOW, that's all he'll care about..

He knows the business is like that, people will say and do anything for personal gain.. MTV will do what sells.. He knew that a long time ago..

given the past performances of mtv..how do you know that an MJ appearance on it would be good publicity? how do you know they wouldn't backstab him again and say things designed to turn the public against him? they are not trustworthy...plain and simple. i don't think anybody on the planet is without some self respect. that's why there is such a thing as karma.

now..this is not the same as me telling MJ what to do. i'm not getting in the way of his decisions. i know i could not if i wanted to, anyway..and i don't want to.

at the same time..we can't look at mtv as guaranteed publicity. there is always the future...something else can appear out of nowhere that puts mtv to shame in the good publicity category. there's nothing more beautiful than hope and the future. the unknown.

Last edited:
Like Damien said, he went to the Japan MTV awards..

I think that ends the conversation in itself..

Michael has ALWAYS been selective on who he works with, and where he's seen on TV.. That is not new..

The little things MTV have said are so small compared to what he's heard and been through.. it's childish to think he is not going to go on the chanell for what people have said about him on that chanell..

If ANY chanell to boycott, it should be the channels that aired the Bashir interview...

But not MTV.. people will make jokes, pick fun. They did that before the year 2000 and they'll do it after..

Being a celeb you are a walking target, he's been in the business for over 4 decades, he knows how it goes.. U think MTV was the first station that had people talking crap about him?? Even his own friends (comedians) have said jokes about him.. From Steve Harvey saying he dresses like 'Captain Crunch' to Eddie Murphy who said he's not a 'masculent looking fellow'..

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael has ALWAYS been selective on who he works with, and where he's seen on TV.. That is not new..

The little things MTV have said are so small compared to what he's heard and been through.. it's childish to think he is not going to go on the chanell for what people have said about him on that chanell..

If ANY chanell to boycott, it should be the channels that aired the Bashir interview...

But not MTV.. people will make jokes, pick fun. They did that before the year 2000 and they'll do it after..

Being a celeb you are a walking target, he's been in the business for over 4 decades, he knows how it goes.. U think MTV was the first station that had people talking crap about him?? Even his own friends (comedians) have said jokes about him.. From Steve Harvey saying he dresses like 'Captain Crunch' to Eddie Murphy who said he's not a 'masculent looking fellow'..

ppl just need to grow up...

no..people don't need to grow up as you say..they need to protect themselves, before it goes to far. Steve Harvey didn't have a malicious spirit, when he talked about MJ. mtv did. and mtv japan is not mtv america. you can't just go around being a doormat.

i'd like to see how far somebody would push your buttons before you decide to teach them a lesson. that's not somebody not growing up..it's them protecting themselves. and this has nothing to do with whether or not someone has a sense of humor.

what are you suggesting? that he be a walking doormat? don't you know the nature of the beast that is humanity is, that if you give them an inch they will take a mile?

are you suggesting that if there ever comes another tommy mattolla, that he should welcome him with open arms, with his back facing him, knowing full well there can't be any knives in that kitchen drawer?

anyway...you flew in the face of your own argument by saying bashir like channels should be banned.

it's just not fair to say that if a person is allowed to take advantage that they wouldn't, because it's just not true. people aren't like that. if mtv isn't kept in check they'll become another bashir.

the phrase 'never again'..and fool me twice, shame on me' are there for a reason.

and like i said...if he were to close all doors as you suggest to the point that there would be nothing left, nature makes it possible for new windows to open every day.

and besides, Michael HAS closed a lot of doors. it takes a turquoise moon for you to hear an interview featuring him..and there's a reason for that. and it hasn't hurt his career in the least. he doesn't operate in average fashion. even a two year old can see that.

Last edited:
no..people don't need to grow up as you say..they need to protect themselves, before it goes to far. Steve Harvey didn't have a malicious spirit, when he talked about MJ. mtv did. and mtv japan is not mtv america. you can't just go around being a doormat.

i'd like to see how far somebody would push your buttons before you decide to teach them a lesson. that's not somebody not growing up..it's them protecting themselves. and this has nothing to do with whether or not someone has a sense of humor.

what are you suggesting? that he be a walking doormat? don't you know the nature of the beast that is humanity is, that if you give them an inch they will take a mile?

are you suggesting that if there ever comes another tommy mattolla, that he should welcome him with open arms, with his back facing him, knowing full well there can't be any knives in that kitchen drawer?

anyway...you flew in the face of your own argument by saying bashir like channels should be banned.

it's just not fair to say that if a person is allowed to take advantage that they wouldn't, because it's just not true. people aren't like that. if mtv isn't kept in check they'll become another bashir.

the phrase 'never again'..and fool me twice, shame on me' are there for a reason.

and like i said...if he were to close all doors as you suggest to the point that there would be nothing left, nature makes it possible for new windows to open every day.

and besides, Michael HAS closed a lot of doors. it takes a turquoise moon for you to hear an interview featuring him..and there's a reason for that. and it hasn't hurt his career in the least. he doesn't operate in average fashion. even a two year old can see that.

that´s right brother, I couldnt agree more with you.

ppl just need to grow up...

If you're going to defend him going on there KOPV, at least sound rational. Reading you, it's obvious you're completely unaware of what they've done to him through the years. It's that or self respect and dignity just isn't a big thing with you. It's nuts to compare Steve Harvey and Eddie Murphy jokes to what MTV, Kurt Loder and the crew has said and done to him. What's next are you going to argue that he should go on Leno's show? When do you draw the line. Damn...

And great post vncwilliam!!:agree:

What channel has not back stabbed Michael in someway?? Yes some much more than others, but that is it..

You'll see... Michael will not boycott MTV, he hasn't even after the things they've done..

If celebs held everything channels do to them, they would not be on TV at all.. Even if they make them look terrible.

They have trashed him in ways since the 90's.. it started to go really bad after they start using the 'KISS' with Lisa... Yet he continued to go on the channel.. WHY?? Because he still can get something out of it..

People from MTV can make fun of MJ no matter what channel i airs on.. Just like VH1's 'Most Shocking Moments' etc.. They get rights to air footage from other channels and talk crap.. Michael does not need to be on MTV to be trashed by MTV..

so it does not matter if he's on it or not.. the MTV awards are one of the largest viewed award shows.. it attracts more viewers than the grammy's now. That is the bottom line..

I mean ABC (owned by Disney) did the worse thing by airing 'Living With Michael Jackson'.. Does he stop watching Disney movies or visiting DisneyLand? NO!!!

MTV is ran by Viacom - so is MJ going to boycott all Viacom channels? then that would rull out Comedy Centeral, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick, Noggin, The N, MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, and MHD.

It's way too political to boycott and blame a specific station.. You can get mad at the person for saying it, then you get mad at the channel for allowing it, then you'll have to get mad at the business behind the channel for allowing the channel to air it.. I mean where does it stop???

Hey guys, come on now. Stay on topic and quit with the personal stuff. Take that to PM...

What channel has not back stabbed Michael in someway?? Yes some much more than others, but that is it..

You'll see... Michael will not boycott MTV, he hasn't even after the things they've done..

If celebs held everything channels do to them, they would not be on TV at all.. Even if they make them look terrible.

They have trashed him in ways since the 90's.. it started to go really bad after they start using the 'KISS' with Lisa... Yet he continued to go on the channel.. WHY?? Because he still can get something out of it..

People from MTV can make fun of MJ no matter what channel i airs on.. Just like VH1's 'Most Shocking Moments' etc.. They get rights to air footage from other channels and talk crap.. Michael does not need to be on MTV to be trashed by MTV..

so it does not matter if he's on it or not.. the MTV awards are one of the largest viewed award shows.. it attracts more viewers than the grammy's now. That is the bottom line..

I mean ABC (owned by Disney) did the worse thing by airing 'Living With Michael Jackson'.. Does he stop watching Disney movies or visiting DisneyLand? NO!!!

MTV is ran by Viacom - so is MJ going to boycott all Viacom channels? then that would rull out Comedy Centeral, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick, Noggin, The N, MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, and MHD.

It's way too political to boycott and blame a specific station.. You can get mad at the person for saying it, then you get mad at the channel for allowing it, then you'll have to get mad at the business behind the channel for allowing the channel to air it.. I mean where does it stop???

Sorry, but I don't get your point. You're acting like little commets were said here and there about him. Are you not aware that MJ is the only icon that they outright humiliate? His horrible treament by them is the thing that told everyone that he had one of the worst camps in the business. Like someone said, it's like the word was out that he was "the sucker". Seems like what you're saying is, you want him to continue to play "the sucker" role. And what i'm not getting is, MTV is not at all what it was before, so why the desperation? I could maybe see your point more if MTV was just still all that, but they're not so i'm just bafflled by your comments. You're going on as if the biggest superstars are still lining up to go on that show. LOL! The fact that most fans (outside of Janet's and Madonna's) of artists over the age of 40 DO NOT want their artists anywhere near that channel says it all.

^ A 'Sucker' would refuse an opportunity when it's there..

I'm not saying Michael SHOULD go on MTV, or WILL be on MTV. What I am saying is, if the venue presents itself at the moment that allows Michael to showcase his art to a large audience, I believe he would take it..

I'm saying that I don't believe he would refuse to go on MTV because of what they did in the past, if a good opportunity presented itself on MTV and Michael sees that it has great potential, he would take it.

Last edited:
^ A 'Sucker' would refuse an opportunity when it's there..

I'm not saying Michael SHOULD go on MTV, or WILL be on MTV. What I am saying is, if the venue presents itself at the moment that allows Michael to showcase his art to a large audience, I believe he would take it..

I'm saying that I don't believe he would refuse to go on MTV because of what they did in the past, if a good opportunity presented itself on MTV and Michael sees that it has great potential, he would take it.

Yeah, but thinking like this, is the reason why racism and MJ is laughed at. People point out that he always goes right back to those that slaps him around. That's why I persoanlly hope he stays away from them. Him continuing to stay away would send a message.

But anyway, we honestly don't know what he'll do. But remember at that fan party in 2002, he did give a thumbs down along with the fans when MTV was mentioned, so maybe his eyes has finally been opened when it comes to them. But I guess we'll soon find out.

^ I get your perspective, but u know Mike did go on MTV after 2002..

Michael is an opportunist too.. I know that word gets looked at negitivelly alot but it's not a bad thing, unless done sleezy.. Anyone that has done ANYTHING with there lives are opportunists.. Infact the more of an opportunist a person is (if done properly and not taken for granted) the higher that person reaches..

In the business Michael is in, you cannot trust anyone.. Those who supported him THEN are back stabbing him now, those who are supporting him now will back stab him later.. He KNOWS that. Where ever he goes, it's not safe.. There are not any SAFE business ventures, or music ventures.. If it were SAFE everyone would do it, because there is no risk involved..

With any major corperation MONEY comes first.. Soon media outlets like MTV will learn that supporting Michael will earn them money and they'll jump on the bandwagon..

Yeah maybe in 5 years after that, they'll hit him again.. But if we live in fear of bad things happening, we'll be to afraid to make anything good come forth.

U know 9 out of 10 businesses fail.. Yet our world is an industrial monster. WHY?? Because of people that took risks, took opportunities when it was there, and stomped on compitition..

Michael will be the last man standing and laughing in the end of the day.. I don't fear what MTV could do because anyone else could do it too.. And Michael has overcame so much more than MTV. SCRUE them! basically, but USE them if you can gain from it..

The water Mike swims in is full of sharks.. There is not one better than the other.. U just have to learn to swim in it, and use what you know about the shark to your own gain..

U know this shark has bad vision, you can get closer to this one.. That one has a slow reaction, you move towards that one.. U have to ACT for the momet and as far as you can SEE.. We cannot be ready for the unknown/unseen.. We just train ourselves to move and shuffel our way around to WIN..

OMG, you can't compare anything that Steve Harvey nor Eddie Murphy has said about Michael with what MTV did to him. Really.

And some of yall are talking like Michael needs MTV. He does not need MTV. For what? There is nothing they can't do for him that appearance on BET, the Grammies and the AMAs can't do for him. Michael can completely snub them and show up on MTV Japan where people really love him and do just fine.

The water Mike swims in is full of sharks.. There is not one better than the other.. U just have to learn to swim in it, and use what you know about the shark to your own gain..

U know this shark has bad vision, you can get closer to this one.. That one has a slow reaction, you move towards that one.. U have to ACT for the momet and as far as you can SEE.. We cannot be ready for the unknown/unseen.. We just train ourselves to move and shuffel our way around to WIN..
You know, I can really appreciate your optimism about all of this, but honestly as far this this upcoming VMAs are concerned, I don't see him being there because he simply has no product to promote and until HMH is official, I just don't see it happening for any other reason.

^ well ya.. I was not specifically talking about this upcoming VMA's.. I doubt he'll show up.. the timeing is not right.. (from my knowlege anyways)

I was more talking about MJ being on MTV at all.. him showing up even 2 years from now, whatever..

Some were making it sound like Michael should never show up on MTV because of what they did.. that is what I was talking about..

2008 VMA's.. too soon!! and no reason to be there..

Last edited:
Michael doesn't need MTV. If anything, MTV needs him. Any show Michael goes on is going to get massive media attention, it doesn't matter which. Just like it didn't matter whether Michael let Oprah interview him or Diane Sawyer. It's all the same. Michael is the draw.

Last edited:
^ YES!!!

and MTV knows they would get so much from getting Michael on there show(s).. And they will do what they need to do to convince him to come on there chanell at some point..

This thread is a cycle! :lol:
People are going round and round and end up in the same place where they started.

Anyway, about the original topic of the thread, it's just a rumour and, in my opinion, he won't be there.

MJ should start charging for the use of his name. It could live off that alone.

:toofunny: True!

This thread is going to reach 300 pages and when MJ doesn't show up 312 members will all say how much MJ has let them down.

I agree! :lol:
And that's why it's important to say it's just a rumour! And a very random and repetitive one...

you just can't keep forgiving and forgetting...i've seen videos of MJ pissed off and not doing anything anymore for people who stepped on him...

What videos?
Please, share the links with me!! :angel:

^ well ya.. I was not specifically talking about this upcoming VMA's.. I doubt he'll show up.. the timeing is not right.. (from my knowlege anyways)

I was more talking about MJ being on MTV at all.. him showing up even 2 years from now, whatever..

Some were making it sound like Michael should never show up on MTV because of what they did.. that is what I was talking about..

2008 VMA's.. too soon!! and no reason to be there..
Okay, well that makes much more sense, but I think we were specifically talking about the 2008 VMAs...

but u know Mike did go on MTV after 2002..

When? When he was in Japan? You know MTV is a worldwide channel.

I see both sides of the situation. I am leaning more towards MJ doing what he wants to do. If he does do the show, fine, if he doesn't, even better. He does not need that show, but the show needs him.

I do not get the comparisons between Steve and Eddie jokes towards MJ (that were funny) compared to the insults that the haters over at MTV stated about Michael. But whatever.

I still feel that MTV talked to MJ and I think MJ could have turned them down after they made an offer, imo.

MJ is a businessman he will go the the MTV awards if he needs to. Like if sg is coming up commercially..like an album or sg...

Michael doesn't need MTV. If anything, MTV needs him. Any show Michael goes on is going to get massive media attention, it doesn't matter which. Just like it didn't matter whether Michael let Oprah interview him or Diane Sawyer. It's all the same. Michael is the draw.

Agree.
F%*@ MTV
MTV is full of ish, they just want MJ for the media attention because they know their show as well as them is not like it use to be. If I was MJ, I wouldn't do a got damn thing after all the crap they did to him over the years, PLUS the ish they did to Janet. MTV needs to recognize artists like Michael that waved the way for them and not these no talent hacks of today....
It probably doesn't even matter anymore because MTV loss all credibility as far as music goes.

hope he would be present. but he have time to change

Michael does not need MTV, but MTV does need Michael, so I think if Michael can go and do things on his terms, why not (if he's ready of course) MTV loved Michael once before and they will love him again. What they did was wrong, I don't know how I would feel in Michael's shoes, but Michael seems to be more forgiving than I (much more). So if the time is right, he might show:punk:

Back