MJ lip-syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB50MJ

Proud Member
How do you feel about MJ's lip syncing?

Many people I talk to claim that he is ripping his fans off by doing it. and there is no excuse for it.

But I really don't mind or care.

Honestly I think that the main reason people want to see MJ in concert is for the dance moves. NOT the vocals. I just want to see him dace and perform.

MJ is an entertainer and singing is not he most important part. We all know he can sing.

But what do you think about his lip syncing?

And why do you think he does it? I mean he sung live and danced amazingly for 30 years up until the HIStory tour.

Why do you think he started to lip sync?

And do you think it makes him less of a performer becuase of it?

Well, if you lip sync 90% of the tour, it is little ironic to be called best live performer... :)

Lip sync is dishonest, but i don't blame him. He obviously had voice problems...

I couldnt have cared less if he just had sat in a corner and done nothing........

I just wanted to hear track after track of MJ and for him to be there to hear the applause for his talent.

He said it was the final curtain call - and a curtain call is when the artist receives the applause from the audience.

All I personally wanted was to be there, to hear the music, for Michael Jackson to hear the applause. This was far more than just a concert. It was for him to see the fans still loved him and they were there for him, after everything he had been through. I think everyone else around him just piled on the expectations to be a singing and dancing 20 something.

I think it a little disappointing but you would have to be in optimum health and fitness to be able to sing and dance like he did at the same time. I understand why he needed to lip synch in many songs.

a bit disappointing, that's why I dont' like History tour so much. Obviously he had voice problems starting from mid-90's, but fortunately Bad tour is a reminder to everyone who says that he can't sing.

everyone lip-synchs at some point (these days anyway). its a necessary evil when you dance so much on stage. sometimes you can hear the artist puffing away over the top of their backing vocal. even vocal singers like celine do lipsynching on stage from time to time.

a bit disappointing, that's why I dont' like History tour so much. Obviously he had voice problems starting from mid-90's, but fortunately Bad tour is a reminder to everyone who says that he can't sing.

I was at the history tour and i have a bootleg copy of it and the only song he lip-synced was thriller because he was wearing the mask. I obviously don't like when he does this especially when i know he can sing the songs perfectly. I would have rathered if he didn't do the whole mask for thriller and just sang it live.

everyone lip-synchs at some point (these days anyway). its a necessary evil when you dance so much on stage. sometimes you can hear the artist puffing away over the top of their backing vocal. even vocal singers like celine do lipsynching on stage from time to time.

Everyone lip-syncs these day's because a) they don't know how to sing and dance at the same, and know nothing about pacing themselves and b) they aren't natural singers and dancers.

The point is Michael Jackson in the 1970's and at his peak as a live artist in from 1979-89 sang and danced live amazingly. The lip-syncing didn't start until the Dangerous Tour, and but it didn't get out of hand until the HIStory Tour. I do think Michael did have throat problems in the 1990's (the 1992 leg of the Dangerous Tour was cancelled early because of thrait proplems Michael was having), and may have been ordered by doctors not to do long tours otherwise he would lose his voice (this is just an opinion of mine, not a fact), which is the reason the HIStory Tour was 90% lip-synced. But it should be pointed out the the Dangerous and HIStory Tours were the only tours that had a lot of lip-syncing, Michael sang live on every tour from 1970-89.

When I rewatch his concerts, I find myself usually skipping the ad-libbed parts. It's a bit awkward for me to watch. I understand why he does it sometimes, but hearing Michael singing in the moment is what makes it feel exciting.
Personally, I'm a fan of Michael's music/singing, first of all.
I always hoped to see him simply sit on a stool on stage and sing some ballads - totally live, raw and vocals coming straight from his heart. I feel he'd have loved to do something intimate like that instead of running around the stage throughout the show.

in the 70s everyone sang live on stage (they mostly lip synched when on tv shows ala abba). 80s were live too from memory. the lip synching thing started around 1990 i think because mtv began running polls on it and i remember they played clips of different artists and they asked viewers was it a rip off for artists to lip synch part of their songs or tours. ive always believed its acceptable to lip synch if youre also doing alot of dancing. likewise artists like celine also lipsynch on occasion but i understand that cause an artists most precious gift is their voice

Everyone lip-syncs these day's because a) they don't know how to sing and dance at the same, and know nothing about pacing themselves and b) they aren't natural singers and dancers.

The point is Michael Jackson in the 1970's and at his peak as a live artist in from 1979-89 sang and danced live amazingly. The lip-syncing didn't start until the Dangerous Tour, and but it didn't get out of hand until the HIStory Tour. I do think Michael did have throat problems in the 1990's (the 1992 leg of the Dangerous Tour was cancelled early because of thrait proplems Michael was having), and may have been ordered by doctors not to do long tours otherwise he would lose his voice (this is just an opinion of mine, not a fact), which is the reason the HIStory Tour was 90% lip-synced. But it should be pointed out the the Dangerous and HIStory Tours were the only tours that had a lot of lip-syncing, Michael sang live on every tour from 1970-89.

The history tour wasn't 90% lip-synced, well when i seen it in dublin it wasn't anyway. If i went to see Michael and he lip-synced that much of the concert i'd never be going again. Michael is number one a singer and that is why we have all his albums and that is why i was going to the o2. Lip-syncing at a live concert just isn't acceptable, if it was anyone else doing i would say it was because they had no talent.

How do you feel about MJ's lip syncing?

Many people I talk to claim that he is ripping his fans off by doing it. and there is no excuse for it.

But I really don't mind or care.

Honestly I think that the main reason people want to see MJ in concert is for the dance moves. NOT the vocals. I just want to see him dace and perform.

MJ is an entertainer and singing is not he most important part. We all know he can sing.

But what do you think about his lip syncing?

And why do you think he does it? I mean he sung live and danced amazingly for 30 years up until the HIStory tour.

Why do you think he started to lip sync?

I think people who waste time on such discussions should take a look at the Victory Tour and the Bad Tour, and then you will know that Michael Jackson is the only performer in the history of music who could sing with full power flawless and dance in a tempo no other performer could match.

But Michael could not do both equally good as he got older and started to contract Laryngitis while touring.

Michael was a perfectionist. He had to choose. Either sing 100% or dance 100%. He chose dancing, because at the end of the day and it is important fans understand this. In Michaels concerts there were a lot of people who normally don't call themselves fans.

He wasn't just delivering concerts to the die hard fans, but to everyone.

And the majority goes to MJ concerts to see him dance.

Lip-syncing isn't perfection. If it is to hard to do both the dance and live singing then the singing should come first. If Michael was just a dancer i don't think any of us would have heard of him. People go to concerts to hear him sing live not to hear the cd playing.

The history tour wasn't 90% lip-synced, well when i seen it in dublin it wasn't anyway. If i went to see Michael and he lip-synced that much of the concert i'd never be going again. Michael is number one a singer and that is why we have all his albums and that is why i was going to the o2. Lip-syncing at a live concert just isn't acceptable, if it was anyone else doing i would say it was because they had no talent.

The HIStory was was 90% lip-synced, at all venues. It's not hard to own all of Michael's albums of your just talking about his solo music from 1979-2001. I would love to agree with you but sadly I have to admit Michael did heavly lip-sync on that tour. I've been a Michael Jackson fan for 26yrs, I attended the Bad, Dangerous and HIStory Tours and saw Michael perform close up with my own eyes and I was going to Michael's O2 concert and saw Michael close up at the O2 press conference. I also have many videos/DVD's of Michael's tours and audios. None of the vocals of songs like Scream aren't different on each concert on the HIStory Tour, but they are on Wanna Be Startin Somethin and The Jackson 5 Medley because Michael doesn't song the vocal lyric exactly the same on each performance, as they are the only songs Michael sang 100% live on that tour.

Lip-syncing isn't acceptable, but you saw Michael on tour were he lip-synced. Maybe that was the only Michael Jackson tour you attended ? ........ but I attended 3 solo tours and I know the difference between Michael singing live (which is MJ at his best) and lip-syncing.

I heard some songs on the This Is It concerts would be lip-synced and some wouldn't. As Michael did tour for long periods and started touring from 1970, we have no idea who much strain these tours took on Michael's voice, and we have no idea why Michael started to lip-sync on tour in the 1990's as it's something that he was never asked about.

did he lip sync during dangerous bucharest ?

Oh yes !!!

Michael was actually very ill on the Dangerous Tour in Bucharest, and after that concert Michael cancelled the rest of the 1992 European leg of the Dangerous Tour and had an operation on his throat, as it was very strained on the Dangerous Tour in 1992 and caused him a lot of problems.

The Bucharest concert that is on DVD, has many shots of Michael and fans in the audience that are from other European concerts.

Lip-syncing isn't perfection. If it is to hard to do both the dance and live singing then the singing should come first. If Michael was just a dancer i don't think any of us would have heard of him. People go to concerts to hear him sing live not to hear the cd playing.

Good post !

Singing and dancing live was never hard for Michael, he did it with ease from 1970-89. Sing and dancing live his hard for people who want to be the next Michael Jackson, and people who use the excuse that Michael had to lip-sync in the 1990's to beable to dance obviously have no idea what they are talking about, and don't know anything about Michael Jackson. Also when Michael was at his peak as a live artist from 1979-89, not only did he sing live brilliantly, he also danced more, and with more speed and grace than he did in the 1990's.

Last edited:
a good portion of the dangerous bucharest is lip synching. considering michael lost 10 to 12 lbs of weight dancing at those shows, i don't care how much lip synching there was really. i am sure as he got older and was hitting his 40s (during history) it was too hard for him to be able to sing with the same range as he had at up until he was 30. it's not like he didn't break a sweat during the history shows. you could see the strain the dancing had on him. and like someone else said, he felt it would be better to have more dancing.

Agreed!!

Whilst his miming does not bother me in terms of artistic integrity, because he didn't mime to conceal a lack of ability (unlike some of today's "singers"), we all know his voice is what brought him to us :) The dancing is spectacular, but it was that 5 year old boy singing Climb Every Montain that started it all. :) So I'd be disappointed not to hear it.

Michael is a pure, technically rounded vocalist with a great knowledge of his voice's (super) range. His raw ability doesnt get the credit it deserves, same as his song writing. He should be in great vocalist lists with Freddie Mercury. But I digress...

This is the best joke I´ve read on the internet!!! Post of the Year!!!

It´s like we all know Johnny Depp is a great actor so why bother doing another movie Johnny if you can hear us do something else show us how you can repair a car we already know your acting skills.............lol

Are you serious??? Of course it´s all about the singing. I´ve a litte loacal MJ Fanclub where we met on a regular basis and we all are fans of his voice we could care less if he sits on a chair fpr 3 hours doing nothing as long as he sings like an angel.The dancing dosen´t interest me at all.
So for me the History Concerts are a waste of time. I rather watch the music videos to the songs than the History Concert performances.

The History concerts are the biggest Mistake Mke had done in regards to his legacy.
If you have 10 History Concerts on DVD in the end you´ve nothing always the same.

Michael should have never done the History Tour instead he should´ve done 3 Vegas Concerts at that time and sung all songs live with each concert a different set list with songs he never performande live like Remember the Time, Dangerous, Stranger in Moscow, Who is it, Smile etc. Then release all 3 Concerts on DVD with bonus features etc.

That would´ve been awesome for his legacy.The people would´ve seen him full live and we would have 3 live DVDs.and one would be even talking about lip-syncing.

But instead we have a couple of History concerts no one is really watching because he was lip.syncing.

And yes it hurts his legacy.

If the Estate is clever they will release the Triumph, Victory and Bad Concerts on DVD to show what a great singer MJ is.

Last edited:
I'd rather see him dance and sing. I hate it when artists just sing standing in one place.

OKAY WAIT A MINUTE. Michael did not mime the history tour. The only song he mimed in dublin was thriller, i have a video of the concert and i've watched it many times. Maybe people are confusing lip-syncing with the parts the backing singers do.

PS.

Elvis was very and I mean very sick during 73-77. He was taking the hardest drugs you can take but he was always and really always singing live and singing good.
So that makes him in the eyes of Elvis fans the best live performer ever.
An Elvis fan can collect all his live performance on CD they are over a hunderd.

Elvis Presley has many live CD official out and they are all awesome.
Where can I buy 100 MJ live CD??? Not even one right? This really sucks!

i am sure as he got older and was hitting his 40s (during history) it was too hard for him to be able to sing with the same range as he had at up until he was 30.

Good point. I felt Michael lost a lot of his speed as a dancer on the HIStory Tour, but he was still amazing to watch.

Elvis Presley has many live CD official out and they are all awesome.
Where can I buy 100 MJ live CD??? Not even one right? This really sucks!

There aren't any official Michael Jackson tours on CD. The only official album released with Michael singing songs from his as an adult, is The Jacksons: Live album from the 1981 Triumph Tour. It's a brilliant album with amazing live vocals from a 23yr old Michael.

OKAY WAIT A MINUTE. Michael did not mime the history tour. The only song he mimed in dublin was thriller, i have a video of the concert and i've watched it many times. Maybe people are confusing lip-syncing with the parts the backing singers do.

No confusion. I hate to say it, but Michael did lip-sync on the HIStory Tour. The majority of fans know that.

I'd rather see him dance and sing. I hate it when artists just sing standing in one place.

I hate that aswell.

Last edited:

Check your ears. I´m sorry but you´re 100% wrong. It was all lip-syncing only the J5 Stuff was live.

Good point. I felt Michael lost a lot of his speed as a dancer on the HIStory Tour, but he was still amazing to watch.

Have you heard about a brother called James Brown. Hve you seen him in concert when he was over 60???

And what about Prince? He´s 50 and he was giving a masterpiece concert in Monaco just 2 weeks ago. Singing -of course live, damcing and playing the guitar.

I really hope for his legacy and reputation that the This is it Movie will contain for the most part live vocals. If he mimes 2-3 songs of the 2,5 hour concert ok. But if he mimes 50 % and more it will be really a big dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back