Michael Using Playback

I believe he had laryngitis during the HIStory tour. The only real reason for all the playback on that tour was because of his throat. If he was in perfect health the ratio of playback:live would no doubt be similar to the Dangerous tour.
That's what I heard as well -- he rehearsed the HIStory Tour with about as much live singing as the Dangerous Tour, then he got laryngitis and had to fall back on playback. Sucks, but there you go. I still loved both HIStory shows I went to.

iNever understood why some songs on Dangerous were mimed like HTW, BOW, and WYBT. iUnderstand near the end of that tour he was getting sick but what happened in the beginning?
Maybe it's a way of preserving his voice? With the ballads at the end of the show (after a *lot* of dancing) he always did the thing where he used playback for most of the song, and then do live ad libs at the end. Maybe it was a chance for him to relax a bit. Voice/energy preservation is really the most logical explanation I can come up with...

And as far as HIStory he didn't sound bad during the J5 medley so iReally wish he could've sang Stranger in Moscow/You Are Not Alone.
Well, there's a big difference between singing 95% of a show live and singing 10% of a show live -- If he'd sung live all the way through, with laryngitis, there probably wouldn't have been much left of his voice by the time he got to the J5 medley.

Another reason why i care is because we cant refer to MJ as the best live performer because of playback. If he would sing live, he could have easily been the best live performer in pop music.

This is silly reasoning. You can't just throw away 30+ years of performing, because of 1 and a half tours.

It may have sucked for the people who went, but you know what? They could have easily have left the concert. If they didn't then it means that they didn't care and stayed to watch anyways. No point in continuing to argue about this as there's nothing that can be done about it now. It's in the past. Nothing you or anyone can do about it now. No matter what you or I argue here it's not going to change a damned thing. Michael Jackson is an amazing performer. Always was and always will be. He will STILL be considered one when you and I die and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

No point in trying to make excuses for it either. He did what did and that's it. It's different if these people went to see a band or just some singer. These people went to see a musician and dancer where performing was a big part of his act. Especially considering that he wasn't a spring chicken anymore. I'm sure he had his reasons, but unless someone from the tour comes out and speaks to us, we'll never truly know so what's the point?

Just accept it and move on already.

What are you going to tell me next? He can't be considered the King of Pop anymore because his last #1 hit in America was back in 1995?

Royal Brunei has the same amount of live singing as DWT, except YANA and ES of course - and they are also playback. ES is never sung live, not even in TII.

No iBelieve Royal brunei had more songs sang live. Billie Jean iKnow is most deffinately live and he mims it through-out the tour . :(

I wonder if TII should have been performed mostly live each concert.

iWould believe he would sing most of the tour. He sounded amazing during the rehearsals, don't see why he would mim this tour to be honest.

i love soul train. just sit there and smile.hee hee

I guess Zhao refers to the most obvious playback of them all..:) Remember The Time at the Soul Train Awards:

I guess Zhao refers to the most obvious playback of them all..:) Remember The Time at the Soul Train Awards:

Oh okay lol. But I'm sure no one could've counted that, he was clearly not feeling good.
And (not too sure on this) iThink Michael used playback for all performances at awards things like MTV awards and such.

The only part of earth song that is live at brunei is the amazing ad-libs at the end! which i love!!

"TELL ME WHAT ABOUT IT!!"

Perhaps this question was raised before in this playback discussion, but would you have preferred less dancing and more real singing?

Perhaps this question was raised before in this playback discussion, but would you have preferred less dancing and more real singing?

No, but there were some songs where he didn't dance at all. Songs like Stranger in Moscow (a little dancing) You are Not Alone, and Scream that iWould have love to hear live.

Can someone please post where Mike sang Beat it live in the HIStory tour? Every time iListen to the Sydney version of it, it sounds like playback.

No, but there were some songs where he didn't dance at all. Songs like Stranger in Moscow (a little dancing) You are Not Alone, and Scream that iWould have love to hear live.

Thinking it over myself, I would have preferred more live singing and a little less dancing. In that way a more dynamic overall show would be created as well. I agree with you on those songs that should / could have been sung live.

Looking at 'This is It' as well, the presence that live singing brings to the performance is great. Because the emotion resides in that moment, it is not coming from somewhere else.

Here you are. Starts at 1:46. Also available for DL in 2000 Watts section of this board.

Well, adlibbing or not, that piece of Beat It was certainly live! Thanks for posting. Very cool and powerful.

Actually, the biggest problem was not with his throat (since he could hit the high notes well into the 2000s in the studio), but with his lungs. He had emphysema (or so it seems) which was probably brought on by lupus. His decreased lung capacity allowed him to sing if he wasn't doing heavy physical work (which is why I'll Be There always sounded good, because he did very little physical movement during that number).

This condition started sometime after the Bad Tour and is evident even on the first day of the Dangerous Tour. His condition progressively worsened, and was not helped by his drug abuse during the 1993 leg in the wake of the allegations. It's also rumored that it was exacerbated by a use of anesthetics (Propofol is commonly referred to, but I doubt it) as a sleeping aid during the HIStory Tour.

However, it appears that his condition had gone into remission sometime during the mid-to-late 2000s. He got skinnier, most likely due to the discontinuation of lupus medication (which is usually a steroid) and This Is It clearly shows that his voice was in great form. It's a shame that his autoimmune disease had to rob him of the perfect performance he always desired. I'm sure that if he had the choice, he would've sang live for every concert he ever did.

many "rumors" but possible.
but i cannot imagine, that, when for example he dance at SC, the voice will be clear and original like album version.
so i think, he had to decide, dance OR sing.
and...who wants to see Michael standing on a mic or sitting in front if it and sing only?

but i think, its also not easy to sync lips all the time...we will never now it for 100% why he did so.

Here you are. Starts at 1:46. Also available for DL in 2000 Watts section of this board.
Where in 2000 Watts is this? Just want to hear Beat it live.

many "rumors" but possible.
but i cannot imagine, that, when for example he dance at SC, the voice will be clear and original like album version.
so i think, he had to decide, dance OR sing.
and...who wants to see Michael standing on a mic or sitting in front if it and sing only?

but i think, its also not easy to sync lips all the time...we will never now it for 100% why he did so.
I'm pretty sure if he was singing, he wouldn't just be standing in front of the mic and singing lol. Kinda like his Bad/Dangerous tour is what iMean.

Here you are: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3AWZMV3E
The same montage as in the YT link, which is the only footage and sound available from that night. (Link taken from StephluvsMJ's great interview thread http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72214)

And also, other threads dealing with lip synching:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89643
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92517

Thank you for the link, was Beat it the only song we did not lip sync during that concert? (not counting the other 2 songs)

Back