Michael Using Playback

The reason for playback is that he started to dance more specific coreographies to his songs (that made him look more and more like a dancer/performer than 'a singer') and the other reason (probably the most important) was that the bigger concerts went the harder it was to hear your own singing without the ear monitoring. Michael was kinda old school and was more familiar with stage monitors than ear monitors. So the bigger stage the harder it's install the stage monitoring... And if you have ear monitors you hardly hear the audience at all, if you want to.

using playback while standing on the stage and doing nothing is just STUPID...
HIStory tour sucks when it comes to live singing.

The reason for playback is that he started to dance more specific coreographies to his songs (that made him look more and more like a dancer/performer than 'a singer') and the other reason (probably the most important) was that the bigger concerts went the harder it was to hear your own singing without the ear monitoring. Michael was kinda old school and was more familiar with stage monitors than ear monitors. So the bigger stage the harder it's install the stage monitoring... And if you have ear monitors you hardly hear the audience at all, if you want to.

True, and his voice too. I've heard people say that he had a problem with his voice at the time but yet he still managed to make the BOTDF album. iNever understood that.
And yeah we know aganim lol.

True, and his voice too. I've heard people say that he had a problem with his voice at the time but yet he still managed to make the BOTDF album. iNever understood that.
Actually, the biggest problem was not with his throat (since he could hit the high notes well into the 2000s in the studio), but with his lungs. He had emphysema (or so it seems) which was probably brought on by lupus. His decreased lung capacity allowed him to sing if he wasn't doing heavy physical work (which is why I'll Be There always sounded good, because he did very little physical movement during that number).

This condition started sometime after the Bad Tour and is evident even on the first day of the Dangerous Tour. His condition progressively worsened, and was not helped by his drug abuse during the 1993 leg in the wake of the allegations. It's also rumored that it was exacerbated by a use of anesthetics (Propofol is commonly referred to, but I doubt it) as a sleeping aid during the HIStory Tour.

However, it appears that his condition had gone into remission sometime during the mid-to-late 2000s. He got skinnier, most likely due to the discontinuation of lupus medication (which is usually a steroid) and This Is It clearly shows that his voice was in great form. It's a shame that his autoimmune disease had to rob him of the perfect performance he always desired. I'm sure that if he had the choice, he would've sang live for every concert he ever did.

BOTDF were leftover dangerous/HIStory recordings and remixes lol

BOTDF were leftover dangerous/HIStory recordings and remixes lol

Never knew that, iWonder how they never made the cut because iThink every song on that album is great!

Actually, the biggest problem was not with his throat (since he could hit the high notes well into the 2000s in the studio), but with his lungs. He had emphysema (or so it seems) which was probably brought on by lupus. His decreased lung capacity allowed him to sing if he wasn't doing heavy physical work (which is why I'll Be There always sounded good, because he did very little physical movement during that number).

This condition started sometime after the Bad Tour and is evident even on the first day of the Dangerous Tour. His condition progressively worsened, and was not helped by his drug abuse during the 1993 leg in the wake of the allegations. It's also rumored that it was exacerbated by a use of anesthetics (Propofol is commonly referred to, but I doubt it) as a sleeping aid during the HIStory Tour.

However, it appears that his condition had gone into remission sometime during the mid-to-late 2000s. He got skinnier, most likely due to the discontinuation of lupus medication (which is usually a steroid) and This Is It clearly shows that his voice was in great form. It's a shame that his autoimmune disease had to rob him of the perfect performance he always desired. I'm sure that if he had the choice, he would've sang live for every concert he ever did.
Oh okay that makes more sense. And yes he was robbed of that perfect performance, his voice sounded amazing in those rehearsals.

Birchey... Thank You!! Not to be awful... but do you have a little more of any of that?? Incredible. Sigh.

I'll give you a quick answer, and than the thread can be closed since there are other ongoing discussions on this subject.

BAD Tour - All live on the first leg. SC, Bad, TWYMMF & MITM lip synched on second leg. (Live ad libs at the end of some songs)
DWT - Jam, SC, Thriller, WYBT, BOW, HTW, Bad, TWYMMF, MITM lip synched on first leg. Add Dangerous on second leg. (Live ad libs at the end of some songs)
HWT - Everything lip synched except WBSS and J5-medley. (Some live ad libs in other songs, and some songs sung live on rare occassions, such as Beat It in Sydney).

i have to disagree slightly here. The bad tour, All live on the first leg yes, but the 2nd leg was pretty much all live too. Yeah, he mimed at times, probably to save his voice when he had throat problems, which, when u tour for nearly 2 years, is bound to happen. But he sung bad live at Wembley and the final LA show, MITM wa sung live quite a bit too. Infact, i have heard all those songs being sung live from the bad tour.
Personally, its a touchy subject this, as it does and always has annoyed the hell out of me when ppl, especially someone as talented as michael, mime at their live shows. its disrespectful to the fans who have shelled out all that money. I am a rock and metal fan and none of the bands i listen to and see live would even dream of miming at their shows. But that said, when i saw michael in munich in 99, he mimed, and i LOVED every moment of that!!!!

Last edited:
i have to disagree slightly here. The bad tour, All live on the first leg yes, but the 2nd leg was pretty much all live too. Yeah, he mimed at times, probably to save his voice when he had throat problems, which, when u tour for nearly 2 years, is bound to happen. But he sung bad live at Wembley and the final LA show, MITM wa sung live quite a bit too. Infact, i have heard all those songs being sung live from the bad tour.
Personally, its a touchy subject this, as it does and always has annoyed the hell out of me when ppl, especially someone as talented as michael, mime at their live shows. its disrespectful to the fans who have shelled out all that money. I am a rock and metal fan and none of the bands i listen to and see live would even dream of miming at their shows. But that said, when i saw michael in munich in 99, he mimed, and i LOVED every moment of that!!!!

iAlso don't like when Michael used playback. iFeel he's too good for it, atleast for songs like You are Not Alone and Heal the World.

I hate playback ! During the early years of the jacksons, there was no playback.
Oldschool was better ! :)

you guys take yourselves to seriously Especially on the subject og "playback" at this point does it even matter I'm pretty sure He had his reasons for using playback after all he is human get over it the man performed his whole life and gave a us great raw talent but yet you try to dissect every lil thing. It makes people not wantto be bothered so what he used playback get over it and shut up

you guys take yourselves to seriously Especially on the subject og "playback" at this point does it even matter I'm pretty sure He had his reasons for using playback after all he is human get over it the man performed his whole life and gave a us great raw talent but yet you try to dissect every lil thing. It makes people not wantto be bothered so what he used playback get over it and shut up

okey dokey
back to the subject on hand

lol at least you went out our way to respond = you got the point Check and mate

idk, iStill don't like that MJ used playback no matter how "bad" he sounds.
So if that's getting the point then okey dokey. ;)

Does anybody know if there was a time where he didn't use playback for MITM on the Bad Tour?

It really doesn't matter if he used playback or not. 90% of the BAD tour was live, just because he synced one song shouldn't be that much of an issue to you.

the HIStory was kind of a letdown because of the playback :( although he never shouldve lipsynched thriller because it sounds so good when he sings it live during the bad tour :)

It really doesn't matter if he used playback or not. 90% of the BAD tour was live, just because he synced one song shouldn't be that much of an issue to you.

iWouldn't say its an issue. Its just my opinion on it. I'll still love him the same way no matter what. iJust don't like that he did it.

I don't care if he used playback or not. He had a reason for it. He had the most beautiful voice I've ever heard and I know he could sing. What he did on stage was enough stressful even only with lip-synching.

I think an artist of Michael's stature should very rarely/never use playback techniques. Of course for songs where there's a lot of choreography, fine - you wouldn't want to hear a load of muffled words and heavy breathing, but there was no need for the HIStory tour or much of the Dangerous tour to be lip-synced.

Prince has been singing and dancing around the stage for years and I don't know of any occasion when he's mimed to a song when performing 'live'.

Not to open up the age-old Michael vs Prince debate because I don't think there is one, I was merely using it as an example.

Although I fear I'm about to be attacked...what is the world coming to?

Peace.
:)

as much as i love Michael, and agree 150% that he had the greatest voice ever. it is insulting and frankly, a ripp off, when u pay to see a LIVE show and get an artist miming away in front of u. Its basically false advertising and recently, some successfully sued Britany spears for that exacat reason. He claimed that he didn't get what he paid for, which is true, so he won. To me, its soo sad that Michael never got the chance to prove that he could still sing and dance at the same time. Though i believe that at lease 3 songs would be mimed at this is it (Jam, Dangerous and Man in the Mirror)

as much as i love Michael, and agree 150% that he had the greatest voice ever. it is insulting and frankly, a ripp off, when u pay to see a LIVE show and get an artist miming away in front of u. Its basically false advertising and recently, some successfully sued Britany spears for that exacat reason. He claimed that he didn't get what he paid for, which is true, so he won. To me, its soo sad that Michael never got the chance to prove that he could still sing and dance at the same time. Though i believe that at lease 3 songs would be mimed at this is it (Jam, Dangerous and Man in the Mirror)

iFeel the same way. But Man in the Mirror sounds like it can be sang live. Jam and Smooth Criminal definitely need to be mimed but iDon't think Dangerous does.

Was WMCIG at "United We Stand" live?

It was live to the audience there during the performance, but there were a lot of problems with the audio quality that night so for the broadcast version the vocals were rerecorded for some parts I believe.

iFeel the same way. But Man in the Mirror sounds like it can be sang live. Jam and Smooth Criminal definitely need to be mimed but iDon't think Dangerous does.

Dangerous was always mimed due to timing issues, me thinks. He sung Smooth criminal on the Bad tour, so i don't see it being that hard to sing.

Back