Michael Using Playback

you guys take yourselves to seriously Especially on the subject og "playback" at this point does it even matter I'm pretty sure He had his reasons for using playback after all he is human get over it the man performed his whole life and gave a us great raw talent but yet you try to dissect every lil thing. It makes people not wantto be bothered so what he used playback get over it and shut up

When you're considered to be one of the greatest live performers in the world and perform every concert lip syncing a considerable amount of the setlist it is definitely a problem. Miming all but 2 or 3 songs in an entire show to a stadium of people is an insult to the fans who would save up their hard earned money just to hear him sing in person.
In any case there is absolutely no excuse I can see for MJ not singing songs like HTW, MITM, WYBT, TWYMMF live. Even Thriller could've been sung properly up until the illusion and then switch playback vocals on.

When you're considered to be one of the greatest live performers in the world and perform every concert lip syncing a considerable amount of the setlist it is definitely a problem. Miming all but 2 or 3 songs in an entire show to a stadium of people is an insult to the fans who would save up their hard earned money just to hear him sing in person.
In any case there is absolutely no excuse I can see for MJ not singing songs like HTW, MITM, WYBT, TWYMMF live. Even Thriller could've been sung properly up until the illusion and then switch playback vocals on.

iAgree with more than 100% on that.

Dangerous was always mimed due to timing issues, me thinks. He sung Smooth criminal on the Bad tour, so i don't see it being that hard to sing.

He lip-synced Smooth Criminal except for MSG.

That the only smooth criminal i've actually heard off the bad tour (not a fan of amateur stuff, though its getting to a point where i have to see these things regardless of quality) so i just assumed it was live throughout. Is the MSG concert available in semi-decent quality?

AS I SAID BEFORE AT THIS POINT IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER DEBATING AGAINST YOU AND ANYBODY ELSE CLEARLY IS A LOST CAUSE AND MY TIME IS VALUABLE. BUT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THINK AND ASSUME WHAT YOU WANT... IF THE MAN HAD HEALTH PROBLEMS AND COULDN'T SING SOME SONGS LIVE BUT YET HE SAID "THE SHOW MUST GO ON" I THINK ITS VERY NOBLE OF HIM NOT to CANCEL THE TOUR OR CERTAIN SHOWS AND PART OF BEING "THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER PERFORMER THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN" means you have many talents and you can compromise the situation like Michael did if he couldn't sing he danced his ass off HE MADE UP FOR IT AND SHOWED SHOWMANSHIP. But as I said None of that matters now i WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO HAVE HIM BACK WHETHER HE SUNG LIVE OR EVEN STOOD ON STAGE AND TOOK A SHIT AS LONG AS HE WAS HERE I WOULD BE HAPPY. WHY COMPLAIN WHEN HE'S GONE

^^whoah, take a chill pill man. This debate, whether here or anywhere else, has been going on long before he passed. Yeah, its was amazing of him to go on when he was feeling ill and still dance, and i can forgive that. but do u honestly believe he had flu for the whole of the HIStory tour?? seriously, who has flu that long....
Any way, its just one of those things well all have to agree to diagree on. Some of us are ok with being ripped off a little, some of us ain't.

^^whoah, take a chill pill man. This debate, whether here or anywhere else, has been going on long before he passed. Yeah, its was amazing of him to go on when he was feeling ill and still dance, and i can forgive that. but do u honestly believe he had flu for the whole of the HIStory tour?? seriously, who has flu that long....
Any way, its just one of those things well all have to agree to diagree on. Some of us are ok with being ripped off a little, some of us ain't.

lol i'am chill and i'm content with being blessed to have seen him perform 3 times live in my life i can die happy man. seeing him alive in person can't compare to him lipsync

lol i'am chill and i'm content with being blessed to have seen him perform 3 times live in my life i can die happy man. seeing him alive in person can't compare to him lipsync

But he did lip-snyc and that's the problem iHave. I've seen him myself perform live and it was amazing but for those on the HIStory that paid to see him kinda did get ripped off in my opinion. He song 2 songs with a set list that was over 20. -___-
And I'm sure he didn't have the flu the whole tour, that's not humane bro lol
And @ Budz iKnow they have amateur audio form him at MSG but iDon't think they have any "good" ones lol.

OT but dude what the hell is with the iHave, iNever, iAlso etc etc? Do you work for Apple?

i think he used it but i also think he sang with it. I dont know why he used it but maybe to save on his voice which imo is smart a thing to do. a know how we sing in the car to the voice. He could be singing along with it but having his mike turned down which idc about. I would much rather see him dance then anything. I love his voice i love everything about him but he had his reasons for playback and i am good with it. We know he can sing so why should it matter?

i think he used it but i also think he sang with it. I dont know why he used it but maybe to save on his voice which imo is smart a thing to do. a know how we sing in the car to the voice. He could be singing along with it but having his mike turned down which idc about. I would much rather see him dance then anything. I love his voice i love everything about him but he had his reasons for playback and i am good with it. We know he can sing so why should it matter?

Because that's the whole purpose of concerts... To hear someone who you listen to weekly or even daily live. It's a magical expirience. That's why i love concerts so much. I would never go to a concert if i would know more than 30% or more of it will be lip synched (although i would probably do an exception for MJ).
Another reason why i care is because we cant refer to MJ as the best live performer because of playback. If he would sing live, he could have easily been the best live performer in pop music.

OT but dude what the hell is with the iHave, iNever, iAlso etc etc? Do you work for Apple?

It's just the way iType, is there a problem? :)

And not only being the best live performer because we know he is, some of MJ's songs sound better live. For instance iLove Beat it, Smooth Criminal, and Billie Jean live from the bad tour. Now iDon't what his HIStory songs would have sounded live and that is my favorite album. :(

And @ Budz iKnow they have amateur audio form him at MSG but iDon't think they have any "good" ones lol.

kool, is it in the 2000watts section? video or mp3?

Also, on the subject at hand. I agree with ppl, how can we argue he was the best live performer ever when he mimed all the time, its not right. None of the excuses cut it, like "he was saving his voice"...... For what exactly, singing to himself? or "its hard to sing and dance at the same time"....... cos no other artist have ever done that have they.....? And all bands mange to play and sing at the same time, which is pretty fucking hard. Especially for the drummer, yet my drummer manages it fine. to me, there is no worthy excuse for not singing live.
I heard somewhere, probably on one of these forums, that his mic was on and recording for most, if not all, of the HIStory, for some reason, but they just cut it from coming out of the speakers. Why bother.....

during his first leg of the bad tour he sang live. I also think he used play back because he slipped up on the words. Yea they might be his own songs but still its easy to mess up when you have thousands of screaming fans and maybe some naughty ones flashing you in the front row. Thats another reason why i think he used play back. i would have went anyway regardless if he sang live which i believe he did for the most part or if he used play back to save his voice or to not flub up the words.

during his first leg of the bad tour he sang live. I also think he used play back because he slipped up on the words. Yea they might be his own songs but still its easy to mess up when you have thousands of screaming fans and maybe some naughty ones flashing you in the front row. Thats another reason why i think he used play back. i would have went anyway regardless if he sang live which i believe he did for the most part or if he used play back to save his voice or to not flub up the words.

iDoubt it could be one of the reasons. In one interview or something he said remembering words was never a problem with him. Although he did it occasionally on the bad tour. *cough* Billie Jean*

Didn't Michael also have an ilness that had to do with his voice? The name of the ilness i forgot.

I believe he had laryngitis during the HIStory tour. The only real reason for all the playback on that tour was because of his throat. If he was in perfect health the ratio of playback:live would no doubt be similar to the Dangerous tour.

kool, is it in the 2000watts section? video or mp3?

Also, on the subject at hand. I agree with ppl, how can we argue he was the best live performer ever when he mimed all the time, its not right. None of the excuses cut it, like "he was saving his voice"...... For what exactly, singing to himself? or "its hard to sing and dance at the same time"....... cos no other artist have ever done that have they.....? And all bands mange to play and sing at the same time, which is pretty fucking hard. Especially for the drummer, yet my drummer manages it fine. to me, there is no worthy excuse for not singing live.
I heard somewhere, probably on one of these forums, that his mic was on and recording for most, if not all, of the HIStory, for some reason, but they just cut it from coming out of the speakers. Why bother.....

Ummm did you happen to miss Destiny, Victory, Bad tour etc? He established himself as the greatest live entertainer of all time well before he started lip syncing

Obviously he was well below his best on the HIStory tour, but you can't let that detract from performances in earlier years

I believe he had laryngitis during the HIStory tour. The only real reason for all the playback on that tour was because of his throat. If he was in perfect health the ratio of playback:live would no doubt be similar to the Dangerous tour.

True but even then iNever understood why some songs on Dangerous were mimed like HTW, BOW, and WYBT. iUnderstand near the end of that tour he was getting sick but what happened in the beginning?
And as far as HIStory he didn't sound bad during the J5 medley so iReally wish he could've sang Stranger in Moscow/You Are Not Alone.

What about the royal concert, that is most of it live is it not? Like earth song, beat it?

I agree with some of you, i think in the quiter songs he should have sang live, not with choreo ofcourse but like the royal concert (brunei 1996) there where moments when he take his time to breath and then he could sing live right????

Im hoping someone can tell me if this is true, or where i cant find then a live version of earth song (before this is it)

somebody help me with this??

What about the royal concert, that is most of it live is it not? Like earth song, beat it?

I agree with some of you, i think in the quiter songs he should have sang live, not with choreo ofcourse but like the royal concert (brunei 1996) there where moments when he take his time to breath and then he could sing live right????

Im hoping someone can tell me if this is true, or where i cant find then a live version of earth song (before this is it)

Most of it is live, idk about Earth Song, I'd have to hear that again.

maybe its online youtube? then you can hear it? Its an amazing concert he is smiling sometimes, before history after dangerous. I really hope to hear a live version of earth song.

btw does anybody believe that the songs he sang at this is it where chosen by the fans? i mean wtf i would love to hear him sing ghost live or who is it (like the interview oprah) smile and lost children and speechless would also be more on my list..

and because he sang most of it live during the rehearsals and him saying to spair his voice maybe this concerts where more like bad tour more life??

I wonder if TII should have been performed mostly live each concert.

Royal Brunei has the same amount of live singing as DWT, except YANA and ES of course - and they are also playback. ES is never sung live, not even in TII.

Earth Song (Live in Brunei).mpg 366.07 MB
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HL3PVPX3

Back