Michael Using Playback

*MrJackson*

Proud Member
Anybody know what songs Michael used playback for during his Bad and Dangerous Tours? And what songs he didn't use playback for during the HIStory tour.
iBelieve he used playback for Main the Mirror and TWYMMF during his bad tour and iThink he used it for Thriller during his Dangerous tour. iDon't know if he used it for any other songs.

I'll give you a quick answer, and than the thread can be closed since there are other ongoing discussions on this subject.

BAD Tour - All live on the first leg. SC, Bad, TWYMMF & MITM lip synched on second leg. (Live ad libs at the end of some songs)
DWT - Jam, SC, Thriller, WYBT, BOW, HTW, Bad, TWYMMF, MITM lip synched on first leg. Add Dangerous on second leg. (Live ad libs at the end of some songs)
HWT - Everything lip synched except WBSS and J5-medley. (Some live ad libs in other songs, and some songs sung live on rare occassions, such as Beat It in Sydney).

According to some, he used playback only for smooth criminal and thriller (only some parts of them) during the bad tour, due to some voice's effects to keep his voice unstrained for the major part of his concerts.

Wow, iNever knew he used so much playback before his HIStory tour.
Do you happen to know why he used it? (Not counting HIStory)

I sincerely hope I didn't disappoint you by telling you the truth then.

As for his reasons I can only speculate:
Jam - To many words to remember, and very fast paced. "Impossible" to sing.
SC - Almost impossible to sing with that heavy choreography.
Thriller - Too boring to sing? :) Also, the illusion at the end created a need for playback.
WYBT - Some hard parts, but no real reason to lip synch.
BOW - Pretty hard to sing.
HTW - Got no idea. He probably wanted it to sound as good as possible.
Bad - Boring + some hard parts.
TWYMMF - Probably wanted it to sound good. Pretty hard to sing.
MITM - No idea. He sounds great on the DWT rehearsals tape.

All in all I guess he choose to lip synch mainly because it sounded better (according to him. There are different opinions about that.). Also you probably know about his reoccurring throat problems, and I guess that played a big part too.

Wow, iGuess iCan understand Jam
But you said he lip sings SC during the Bad tour? it sounds like he's singing it to me when iListen to the Wembley and Los Angeles version

Well.. tell "some" that he need to get his ears checked and his facts right.. ;)

at least, if you're going to keep up with this subject, don't get so personal with other fans with comments like 'get your ears checked'. i know it's hard, but this is a subject that will garner different opinions and the possibility of being wrong. one should be able to handle that without getting personal. all discussions can be handled when people steer clear of telling fans what's wrong with their ears and other disrespectful stuff. that's why it's in the site rules.

Michael had his reasons. i would have been ecstatic just to see him in person. i wouldn't care if he mimed his words.

But you said he lip sings SC during the Bad tour? it sounds like he's singing it to me when iListen to the Wembley and Los Angeles version

Is your favourite show iCarly? :yes:

I dont mind the lip synching and understand completely why he would do it. The only thing i'll say is he should have sang Stranger in Moscow and Heal The World live.

That never was a real problem, I guess.
Some of us could be happy just to see him sitting in a darn chair while using playback :cheeky: :D

That never was a real problem, I guess.
Some of us could be happy just to see him sitting in a darn chair while using playback :cheeky: :D

Like this? :D

Now, this could be another WTF MJTwitterFact.

"Only Michael Jackson can deliver the best dance performance while sitting down and sing without a microphone. Yes, he can do that- because he's Michael f******* Jackson, that's why."

Talk about being sweet and good natured despite the circumstances. Most wouldn't have been on stage at all, he knew we wanted to see him anyway.
Bless his sweet soul and heart. :D

Although I am still inclined to ask "Remember the lyrics, baby??" :wild:

Michael had his reasons. i would have been ecstatic just to see him in person. i wouldn't care if he mimed his words.

iPersonally did not like the lip-singing :/ iLoved when he sang no matter how it came out.

Is your favourite show iCarly? :yes:

I dont mind the lip synching and understand completely why he would do it. The only thing i'll say is he should have sang Stranger in Moscow and Heal The World live.

In all honesty that is my favorite show LOL :)
and iWish he had sang You are Not Alone live.

at least, if you're going to keep up with this subject, don't get so personal with other fans with comments like 'get your ears checked'. i know it's hard, but this is a subject that will garner different opinions and the possibility of being wrong. one should be able to handle that without getting personal. all discussions can be handled when people steer clear of telling fans what's wrong with their ears and other disrespectful stuff. that's why it's in the site rules.

Well, I'm sorry if I in any way offended you, but the "some" and the smiley clearly indicates that I wasn't totally serious. Sorry if that didn't made it through the screen, but english isn't my native language.. so..

I can understand that Michael wanted to be as flawless as possible, but to me a perfect performance is not about being note-perfect - it's about hearing someone sing live, even if they mess up something. That only adds flavour to the entire experience. Of course, the point of view of the spectator can be very different from the point of view of the performer, yet Bad is my favourite tour not least because of the fact that everything was real.

The only time (That i know of) that Smooth Criminal was sung live on the Bad Tour was at the Madison Sqaure Garden concert

The only time (That i know of) that Smooth Criminal was sung live on the Bad Tour was at the Madison Sqaure Garden concert

Yep and it sounded great. There were parts of it sung live on the other concerts though.

Michael had playback tracks for most songs on the bad tour, he never used them, but also whilst he was singing to playback on other songs, he was actually singing live into the mic, but no one heard it :p

Well, I'm sorry if I in any way offended you, but the "some" and the smiley clearly indicates that I wasn't totally serious. Sorry if that didn't made it through the screen, but english isn't my native language.. so..

I saw no offense but I forgive you anyway :better: :cheeky:

I really didn't care if it was playback or not, when Michael was on the stage he delivered like FedEx!

Michael had playback tracks for most songs on the bad tour, he never used them, but also whilst he was singing to playback on other songs, he was actually singing live into the mic, but no one heard it :p

Those girls that did get invited to the scene when Michael performed You Are Not Alone, do you know if they heard Michael did sing the song live even though the mic was turned off?

This Is It had an amazing amount of live vocals, I was not expecting Beat It, Black Or White and Smooth Criminal to be live.

Those girls that did get invited to the scene when Michael performed You Are Not Alone, do you know if they heard Michael did sing the song live even though the mic was turned off?

I'm sure he was singing just enough for the girls to hear him.

Are you sure? It doesn't sound like playback at all. Everytime iListen to it, it sounds real.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GmTmfOupIQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GmTmfOupIQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back