Michael to be honored at Soul train Awards, Nov.3rd 2009

Hey, this event already happened and I'm surprised there was no news on it. Kind of stumbled on to a video on youtube.

I read that they just played a short video tribute to Michael and that Don Cornelius had said that the Jacksons were on the show many times and they gave the show credibility. I don't know who accepted the award on MJ's behalf. But since the show happened almost a week ago and no real news. . . must not have been that big.

Hey, this event already happened and I'm surprised there was no news on it. Kind of stumbled on to a video on youtube.

I read that they just played a short video tribute to Michael and that Don Cornelius had said that the Jacksons were on the show many times and they gave the show credibility. I don't know who accepted the award on MJ's behalf. But since the show happened almost a week ago and no real news. . . must not have been that big.

None of the winners showed up.

Winners haven't showed up to the Soul Train awards for years which is part of the reason it was canceled.

Hardly any of the winners showed up and the bit of information I gathered is that the MJ tribute was just a little thing.

read something today that says the award show is on 29 Nov

yep, i just read the same thing it was taped on the 3rd, but will be played on the 29th on a channel called centric?

Michael Jackson for Soul Train Entertainer of the Year

Late King of Pop, Michael Jackson will be honored posthumously at the forthcoming 2009 Soul Train Awards.
Slated to be honored for his contributions to music through exemplary showmanship, Jackson will be recognized with a special Entertainer of the Year Award during a November 3 ceremony in Atlanta.
Noted as the first Soul Train Awards ceremony to take place in over two years, Jackson's honor comes right on the heels of a revamped show under the newly launched network Centric. No stranger to the Soul Train stage, Michael Jackson and much of the Jackson family made appearances on Soul Train programming at the start of their careers. Notably performing "I Want You Back" in 1972, the Jackson 5 garnered attention for their showmanship -- even as teenagers (with Michael being 13 years old at the time).
The 2009 Soul Train Awards will also honor the longstanding careers and musical influences of legendary artists Chaka Khan, L.A. Reid, Charlie Wilson and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds through special music tributes.
Beyonce, Jazmine Sullivan, Maxwell, Mary Mary, Robin Thicke, Whitney Houston, Raphael Saadiq are among this year's nominees in categories including Album of the Year and Best Collaboration (see nominees list here)
As previously reported, the 2009 Soul Train Awards will air Sunday, November 29 at 9pm on Centric.

Just a reminder - the Soul Train Awards are Sunday, November 29 with MJ being honored.

Cntric channel (89 on Time Warner Cable, NYC), 9pm Eastern Time.

Last edited:
Soul Train was there with Michael since he was a BABY.

Good for them.

And I repeat:

Please, OH PLEASE, keep Don Cornelius AWAY from the open bar - or anything remotely related to liquor - before or during the awards!

Why would they have to do that? Is he an alcoholic, he talks reeeally sloooow.

Just a reminder - the Soul Train Awards are Sunday, November 29 with MJ being honored.

It will be on BET also...

It will be on BET also...

Centric is a part of BET?

I wanted to record it but if it's gonna be so short......

I'll find out about the channel and record it anywaz I guess.
But the thrill is gone for me with these award shows.
There was always the hopeful expectation that maybe
MJ would surprise us and show up. But thats over.

Did anyone catch this? I missed about an hour of the show because I didn't know it was on tonight. If anyone recorded it, can you please upload the tribute? Prettttty please! LOL! Thanks!

Just watched it from 10:00-11:00 i missed an hour cuz My DAD was watching a movie. AHRRR!!!

anyways, Good thing was they did a tribute to Michael. But it was just a glimpse of him with the J5 and Don Cornilies talking in the back ground!

I thought the tribute had passed so i wasnt ready to record it!. Sorry.

L.O.V.E.
Romi

man, i can't find a stream... :(

I am disappointed in the Soul Train awards because they didn't do enough or show enough about dedicating to Michael or honoring as it says in the title thread. A measly 2 min clip is dedication enough? Come on they did a Motown dedication longer than that and they didn't have the courage to even sing any of the Jacksons music or Michael's either. The Jacksons shaped Motown as well and with Michael's death they should have at least done something. Where would Motown be with out Michael or the Jacksons. My rant is over.

another fraud. another sham of a tribute to attract viewers. Pitiful.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Motown was shaped long before the Jacksons. Just because you're angry, don't lose sight of the truth. Motown would have been successful without the Jacksons, now on the other hand, who's to say the Jacksons would have been successful without the early upbringing by Motown?

It's still a shame that Michael Jackson got that tiny tribute. He's in the Soul Train Hall of Fame for crying out loud. And its a shame he didn't even really get a tribute on the AMAs. So far BET and MTV have been the only mainstream awards to actually do Tributes. Here's hoping the Grammy's do it right.

The Soul Train Awards shortchanged Michael. In my opinion, no real tribute was given. A five minute clip of pics from past Soul Train visits, and no songs of dedication. What a dissappointment to Michael's legacy and the Jackson family.:no:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Motown was shaped long before the Jacksons. Just because you're angry, don't lose sight of the truth. Motown would have been successful without the Jacksons, now on the other hand, who's to say the Jacksons would have been successful without the early upbringing by Motown?

It's still a shame that Michael Jackson got that tiny tribute. He's in the Soul Train Hall of Fame for crying out loud. And its a shame he didn't even really get a tribute on the AMAs. So far BET and MTV have been the only mainstream awards to actually do Tributes. Here's hoping the Grammy's do it right.

I understand what you are saying but my point is the tribute of Michael, as I said it wasn't long enough. To me he deserved far more recognition.

thanks but l missed it! do you know how / where i can see it again??!!

Yeah. It comes on again later tonight but I aint trying to see it.
My time feels wasted watching the whole show.
It was the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time.
I never heard or read that it was a Legends Award show.
But thats cool. W/e.
And I'm still trying to understand this so called "honor Michael" stuff.
I must have blinked cuz I think I missed it! :blink:
Did the show seem "thrown together" to anybody but me?

Keri Hilson looked awesome tho. Her hair was shaaaarrrp!

Back