Michael to be honored at Soul train Awards, Nov.3rd 2009

Late King of Pop, Michael Jackson will be honored posthumously at the forthcoming 2009 Soul Train Music Awards.

Slated to be honored for his contributions to music through exemplary showmanship, Jackson will be recognized with a special Entertainer of the Year Award during a November 3 ceremony in Atlanta.

Noted as the first Soul Train Awards ceremony to take place in over two years, Jackson's honor comes right on the heels of a revamped show under the newly launched network Centric. No stranger to the Soul Train stage, Michael Jackson and much of the Jackson family made appearances on Soul Train programming at the start of their careers. Notably performing "I Want You Back" in 1972, the Jackson 5 garnered attention for their showmanship -- even as teenagers (with Michael being 13 years old at the time).

The 2009 Soul Train Awards will also honor the longstanding careers and musical influences of legendary artists Chaka Khan, L.A. Reid, Charlie Wilson and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds through special music tributes.

Beyonce, Jazmine Sullivan, Maxwell, Mary Mary, Robin Thicke, Whitney Houston, Raphael Saadiq are among this year's nominees in categories including Album of the Year and Best Collaboration (see nominees list here)

As previously reported, the 2009 Soul Train Awards will air Sunday, November 29 at 9pm on Centric.

2009 Soul Train Award Nominees

BEST NEW ARTIST
Drake
Jazmine Sullivan
Keri Hilson
Ryan Leslie
Solange

BEST R&B/SOUL ARTIST FEMALE
Beyonce
Chrisette Michele
Jennifer Hudson
Ledisi
Whitney Houston

BEST MALE R&B/SOUL MALE
Charlie Wilson
Maxwell
Musiq Soulchild
Raphael Saadiq
Robin Thicke

SONG OF THE YEAR
"God in Me" - Mary Mary
"Pretty Wings" - Maxwell
"Single Ladies (Put a ring on it)" - Beyonce
"Spotlight" - Jennifer Hudson
"Turnin Me On" - Keri Hilson/ ft Lil Wayne

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Beyonce - I am... Sasha Fierce (Platinum) Sony Music
Jamie Foxx - Intuition (Platinum) J Records
Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak (Platinum) Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam
Maxwell - Blacksummer's Night (Gold) Sony Music
Ne-Yo - Year of the Gentleman

RECORD OF THE YEAR (SONGWRITER AWARD)
Beyonce - "Single Ladies (Put a ring on it)"
Drake - "Best I ever had"
Jamie Foxx Ft/T-Pain - "Blame it"
Keri Hilson - "Knock You Down"
Maxwell - "Pretty Wings"

BEST REGGAE ARTIST AWARD
Movado
Sean Paul
Serani
Taurus Riley
Ziggy Marley

CENTRIC AWARD - SOUL APPROVED/UNDERGROUND
Corneille
Eric Roberson
Laura Izibor
Maysa
The Knux

BEST GOSPEL PERFORMANCE MALE, FEMALE OR GROUP
BeBe and CeCe Winans - "Close To You"
Fred Hammond f/John P Kee - "They That Wait"
Marvin Sapp - "Praise Him in Advance"
Mary Mary - "God In Me"
Smokie Norful - "Justified"

BEST COLLABORATION
Keri Hilson featuring Kanye West & Ne-Yo - "Knock you Down"
Keyshia Cole featuring Monica - "Trust"
Mario featuring Gucci Mane and Sean Garrett - "Break up"
Mary Mary featuring Kierra (KiKi) Sheard - "God In Me"
Trey Songz featuring Drake - "Successful"

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
Michael Jackson

Do you remember?
images
images

Last edited:
It's nice except for the fact he already got the Entertainer of the Year award in 1993 (I think). They couldn't have created a new award like "Soul Train Pioneer" or "Soul Train Legend?" I still like it though. I'm looking forward to these awards. I've been looking forward to Soul Train and NAACP since he died, because these shows always showed him love when other mainstream shows wouldn't.

I'm getting dizzy from all this MJ news. There is so much going on!

yeah..fitting that this one is named after a train. a lot of people are getting on it, now.. and for obvious reaons..but..those awards are deserved eariler. but he's getting them and they are deserved...

funny how this award is named after a show that is no longer on the air...kinda strange..but...hey...just an interesting thought...

I think it's wonderful. Soul Train saw MJ grow from a little boy to a grown solo artist to the KOP.

But please keep Don Cornelius AWAY from the open bar until after the show - please?

Oh my bad, everyone. He never received the Soul Train Entertainer of the Year Award. It was the NAACP Entertainer of the Year award he received. Sorry for the bad information.

I was shocked also to learn that the award show was coming back after 2 years.
Each year I thought I had just missed the show or something. Lol!

I wonder which family member will accept the award?

what a stupid and insulting award to give to him. guess they need the viewing figures. at least create something for him

Wish I was familiar with all these music award shows... Its so unfair we don't get any aired here in Australia! :( (Boring!)

I can't say I'm bothered by this. Its nice of them to do and it was expected, just hope its nicely done.

One of my favorite clips of Michael on Soul Train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYS7Q9LzWY

Wow - thank you for that video!!!

I saw the title and immediately thought of Stevie Wonder's "All I Do" - hear MJ singing the chorus & backgrounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ9Pa41KJjM

EDIT: I thought that MJ co-wrote the lyrics - but no, he clearly sang backgrounds only- sorry:

“All I Do”, had originally been written by a teenaged Wonder and collaborators Clarence Paul and morris Broadnax in 1966. Tammi Terrell recorded the original version of the song that year; her version remained in the Motown vaults until the release of the compilation A Cellarful of Motown! in the United Kingdom in 2002. Michael Jackson, Eddie Levert and Betty Wright provided background vocals for this version of the track which featured on Wonder’s album Hotter Than July http://www.last.fm/music/Stevie+Wonder/_/All+I+Do

Last edited:
I was shocked also to learn that the award show was coming back after 2 years.
Each year I thought I had just missed the show or something. Lol!

I wonder which family member will accept the award?

I will give you one guess???.....Oh you say Jermaine....You are probably correct..:wink:......hopefully I will be wrong....To bad this award is really kind of late...but ...Michael deserves it anyway.

Not kind of late. Soul Train has always showed Michael love from WAAAYYYY back. Youtube is FULL of J5, Jacksons and Michael performances on Soul Train not to mention the countless awards he received.

The awards were canceled a while back for low ratings... they canceled Soul Train show itself for the same reason. Plus none of the big artists were showing up to get their awards which I found funny. I guess they didn't feel it was relevant since alot of these artists were trying to crossover into pop and the way to do that was the AMA's and the Grammys. But that's another story for another time.

I love this tho. I think it will be great...

Michael.............Michael............just hope you know how many awards you still getting...........congrats.....u deserve them all................more than you can hold........ hope you seeing this..........honouring you...........
Miss you so much. :-(

Not kind of late. Soul Train has always showed Michael love from WAAAYYYY back. Youtube is FULL of J5, Jacksons and Michael performances on Soul Train not to mention the countless awards he received.

The awards were canceled a while back for low ratings... they canceled Soul Train show itself for the same reason. Plus none of the big artists were showing up to get their awards which I found funny. I guess they didn't feel it was relevant since alot of these artists were trying to crossover into pop and the way to do that was the AMA's and the Grammys. But that's another story for another time.

I love this tho. I think it will be great...

I thought It was that writer's strike last year that canceled it for a while.

Soul Train was there with Michael since he was a BABY.

Good for them.

And I repeat:

Please, OH PLEASE, keep Don Cornelius AWAY from the open bar - or anything remotely related to liquor - before or during the awards!

Back