Michael - The Official New Album - Out December 14th - General Discussion Thread

Which tracks are you most looking forward to hearing in full/Want on Album!

• All I Need

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Carry On

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Breaking News

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Monster

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Much Too Soon

Votes: 66 71.0%
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are

Votes: 68 73.1%
  • Another Day

Votes: 76 81.7%
  • Hold My Hand

Votes: 54 58.1%
  • A Place With No Name

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Love Never Felt So Good

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Blue Gangsta

Votes: 57 61.3%

• Total voters
Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only

Just sayin'

Just sayin'

:) i really can't wait for some more amazing MJ tunes to blast from my speakers, while his ballads are truely stunning, nothing beats that feeling of that huge smile on your face as you blast out an MJ song with super bass and let the groove infect you :) I'd love some truely infectious grooves on this new album, something with that special touch of MJ.

That, my friends, is a perfect post right there! Thank you, Bumper Snippet :flowers:

:yes: Yes, it really is. Great post by Bumper Snippet! :clapping:

^^ says who?

so sc05 is a liar.

Please don't start this again. :smilerolleyes: This is part of the reason the last thread got closed.

I agree that Sony needs to get some promotion kicked into gear because close to no one outside of the fanbase has clue about the new album.

It bothers me that no one but MJ fans knows a new MJ album is coming. I've told MANY of my friends that had NO IDEA.

Sony needs to put out a huge announcment very, very soon..
I know several people (not on MJ forums) who know about the new album coming

I tell you, its heartbreaking to know how much people turned their backs on MJ

I know, it saddens me so many ppl that mj thought were his friends turned out to be backstabbers :(

:yes: Yes, it really is. Great post by Bumper Snippet! :clapping:

so...that means Bumper Snippet changed his/her mind about Michael not having to depend on radio, as much as other artists? cus if so...i agree. again...not that i am saying that bug spray should be applied to the idea of MJ being on radio..

THE WORLD NEEDs TO KNOW THE TITLE SOON! it really is frustrating, like so many non mj fans will be like wtf when the album comes, u think they would be letting every1 know asap so there is loads of hype, but there isnt much. maby they just want the shotgun effect, silence then a massive big bang every1 knows about it and is talking about it.

for me the 1st single really should be a dance track, i do like another day but i wanna be in a club and a fresh new mj beat comes on.

surley tht if a new single is coming its got to be dropped soon

What I kind of find interesting is the lack of recent info on the track titled I'm Dreamin. That was the first title of a track we got from the will.i.am sessions back in late 2006/07. It was brought up in a Billboard article as being physically tracked. Now recently we got an article in I believe Vibe and it stated The Future, We Miss You, and Still The King. Nothing about I'm Dreamin. I am under the impression that I'm Dreamin is a completed track. I wonder why it wasn't mentioned in the recent Vibe article? Hopefully it's get released on this album...

do u think over the years the estate will have mj feat on other albums etc, like say they offer usher a song and he would do vocals aswell.

i wouldnt mind tht as long is only decent artists tht respect mj etc, id love mj and beyonce on a song together

I personally don't support Sony at all.

But I will say this, IF there is no album THIS year, then false info of a possible album this year is probably being leaked out to the press to distract Michael's fans from the ongoing criminal case.

do u think over the years the estate will have mj feat on other albums etc, like say they offer usher a song and he would do vocals aswell.

i wouldnt mind tht as long is only decent artists tht respect mj etc, id love mj and beyonce on a song together

I'd prefer not. I'd much rather see the songs were released on Michael's own albums. It'd be good for his legacy, better anyway then only have his songs feature on other artists' albums.

And the songs should only be allowed to be heard as duets IF they indeed were thought to be duets and if they indeed have been recorded as duets. No changing of songs that were already recorded with Michael's vocals only, PLEASE! That would be like really selling the essence of his work out - the wrong way!

so...that means Bumper Snippet changed his/her mind about Michael not having to depend on radio, as much as other artists? cus if so...i agree. again...not that i am saying that bug spray should be applied to the idea of MJ being on radio..

My post is not related to the way the album should be promoted, but to the fact that MJ gave us so much and that despite all he gave and his death, people are still demanding new things as if MJ owed us. And as I said on top of that people demand from a dead man to hit the charts. Will this man ever have rest, either from journalists or from the fans?

Basically, as far as I am concerned, I am not interested in promotion at all. I am interested in discovering and enjoying music if it is released. If not, I have plenty of already released tracks to re-listen to. I say, why not taking the time to appreciate all the music he has already given, and welcoming all the upcoming unreleased songs as a special gift to us? Let's enjoy whatever and whenever is released. If you love something who cares about the charts or big promotion? Do we listen to the music because we love it or because it is played all over the places? I f you like it because of this latter, all the unreleased stuff risks to be heavily altered in order to fit the general tendency of the moment without Michael being here to agree or disagree.

As far as the radios are concerned, no I did not change my mind. From the commercial point of view I still think it is one of the best strategy to promote it along with all other means of media of course. I never said that songs should be played only on the radios.

I remember back in the 80s when Michael dominated not only or necessarily the charts, but people's subconscious as the best singer ever. Everybody was saying --even non fans-- that he was the best (and still is). Many movies still today contain lines about Michael Jackson or his dance moves or his music, such an icon he has been. For example:

-Beverly Hills Cop I
-Goonies
-Back To The Future II & III
-The Simpsons
-Rush Hour I, II, III
-Robots (animation)
-Shrek (animation)
etc., etc the list is extremely long

I also remember listening to the BAD album and said to myself, how will Michael ever be able to create anything better in the future --as far as melodies are concerned. With that ten-song album he, for me back then, couldn't be able to make such good melodies afterwards. I was of course wrong, because when Dangerous and later History came out, I understood that his magical power of creating melodies were unlimited. So, still back in the 80s, I said to myself, I need to hear other songs, any songs.

With Internet leaks it became easier to get hold of unreleased songs such as Niteline, Trouble, etc. For an impatient and hype fan, those songs are weak and without interest. But for a real fan, hearing MJ's voice in an unreleased song is a real blessing, regardless the promotions or the charts.

It sadness me when I hear some fans disappointed with "This Is It" song. It is not a club banger, but they forget that Michael didn't only sing or write radio friendly music. Why some people don't stop a little bit, take a breath, sit down on your sofa, forget the hype, put sometimes Destiny album and listen to it. One of the songs on it called "Bless his soul" sounds like "This is it". It is a beautiful song. "This is it" is also a beautiful song. Instead of being thankful to get the chance to have at least one unheard song, people complain.

Now, when the new album comes out remember my words, instead of being happy and enjoying the MJ's unheard music, some fans will start being frustrated because there are not enough slows, others that there are not enough fast songs. No matter what you give to people, they're never satisfied.

It's impossible to please everyone. Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have to like every single song. Doesn't make you more/less of a fan because of it. It is sad though that some don't appreciate those songs.

Derek1984, your excitement over the will.i.am songs makes me smile. I enjoy your positivity in this thread. :)

And as always, thanks to Smooth for your updates! :D

It's impossible to please everyone. Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have to like every single song. Doesn't make you more/less of a fan because of it. It is sad though that some don't appreciate those songs.

Well, the logic would lean towards the fact that the more songs you like, the bigger fan you are. There might be some exceptions to this logic of course.

As far as songs are concerned, of course you can't like all the songs the same way. And of course there are probably some songs from other artists that you like better than some MJ's songs. It's completely normal.

However, I don't know if some of you tried to change the perspective of listening to some songs. For example I remember when for the first time I heard "The Lady In My Life". I was very young and didn't really like the song. The sam for "Baby Be Mine". It is difficult to understand how come that we adore an artist such as Michael Jackson and we dislike very much some songs. I said to myself, if my favorite artist sang those songs and chose to put them on the album, it's because there must be a good reson. I re-listened "The Lady In My Life", but I wasn't listening to Michael the artist any more this ime, I was listening to Michael the interpreter of the feelings. It is only then that I felt embraced by the warmth of the chorus "now is the time" and the sweetness and softness of the melodious poem interpreted by Michael. Today it's one of my best songs ever.

For "Baby Be Mine" I again heard the interpreter, not the singer, when he shouts out with time after time broken voice "you're everything this world could mean to me, c'mon babe, baby be mine,..."

So, these two example are not club bangers or radio friendly songs, but they're damn good to listen to. And there are so many other jewels to re-discover if only we take the time to get carried away by the flow of Michael the interpreter, and not always by Michael the singer. Anyone can sing, but not anyone can interpret. I can't imagine the interpretation of the song BAD by Paul McCarteny for example even though he is in his own category a good singer. But I could easily imagine interpret Michael any Paul's song. That is what I call magic that Michael had.

Please don't start this again. :smilerolleyes: This is part of the reason the last thread got closed.

I agree that Sony needs to get some promotion kicked into gear because close to no one outside of the fanbase has clue about the new album.

And not even all the FANS know about this! It's only clear to us who use the internet, I'd say.

yes, exactly right.

I've made up my mind. This album won't be released until mid February - mid March and so I'm waiting for that time period, rather than hoping for some information confirming the November release. It isn't going to happen.

However, if it does happen I'll be delighted as will everybody else here!

Bumper Snippet, I think we all agree that MJ gave alot while he was here, but the reason I (and others) are really hoping for a big marketing campaign with good promo, successful singles etc is because that's what Mike would have wanted. We could debate for days about whether he would be happy with the material being released or not, but we all know that IF he knew it HAD to be released in order continue his legacy then he would have wanted the biggest, best marketing strategy possible. He would have wanted the album to be the most successful it could be. he would have wanted it to be No.1 all over the world, and if any singles are released he would have wanted them to be No.1 too.

To do that properly requires careful preparation for the promotion of the album and singles, and I don't personally believe that can be achieved when Sony won't even receive the material until mid October. Far better to delay the album until next year IMO.

I also believe that they have already missed the prime time for releasing this album and that public interest is diminishing, but that's a completely different argument.

when was the this is it cd first announced?

1976: The Jacksons
1977: Goin' Places
1978: Destiny / The Wiz / You Can't Get Out Of The Rain, Ease On Down The Road
1979: Off The Wall
1980: Triumph
1981: Live
1982-83: Thriller / E.T. Storybook / Someone In The Dark / Say, Say, Say, This Is The Man / The Making of Thriller
1984: Victory / Somebody's Watching Me
1985: We are the world / Eaten Alive
1986: Captain EO 3-D, We're Gonna Change The World / Another Part Of Me
1987: Bad / Bad Tour / Get It
1988: Moonwalker / Leave Me Alone / Come Together / Bad Tour / The Legend Continues
1989: (2300 Jackson Street) / Bad Tour
1990: You Were There
1991: Dangerous
1992: Oprah Interview / Someone Put Your Hand Out /Dangerous World Tour
1993: Dangerous World Tour / Dangerous short films VHS / accusations & speculations
1994: ...gap... due to accusations & speculations
1995: History / Mind Is The Magic / History on film
1996: History World Tour / Diane Sawyer Interview
1997: History World Tour / Blood On The Dance Floor / Ghosts VHS + On The Line / Elisabeth I Love You / History on film vol II
1998: ...gap...
1999: ...gap...
2000: ...gap...
2001: Invincible / MSG concert / United We Stand / If You'd Only Believe / What More Can I Give / Re-Issues Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad with unreleased songs
2002: ...gap...
2003: ...Bashir Interview / The Rebuttal / Private Home Movies / One More Chance / accusations & speculations / Numer Ones dvd
2004: ...trial.../Ultimate Collection with unreleased songs and Dangerous Tour DVD / The One dvd
2005: ...trial... & the truth
2006: Visionary box
2007: ...gap...
2008: ...gap...
2009: ...the day the Earth stood silent... / This Is It

2010: ...running... Video game? New album? New DVD? ... who cares now? The Man is no longer with us, it is sad to say. But what many forget to see is that throughout all these years, The Man hasn't stopped working, producing and giving us all the magic he could, and that despite his difficult moments of life (we had the ultimate collection for example with unreleased stuff while he was fighting for his freedom and his life). The man has been giving us despite his unfortunately chaotic private life (divorces, trials, and witchhunting from Sneddon's part).

The Man, despite all that was giving to charities, visiting hospitals, but when his dark hour came many abandonned him, turned him their backs, denied him and even mocked him (Jay Leno, Eminem,...)

The Man, now that is no longer with us, all of sudden is mourned not only by his nation in "the land of the free and home of the weird", but by the entire planet all races, religions, colors, languages, countries united! Mourned like a modern day prophet who shared L.O.V.E. Something not a single serious politician achieved with goals to harmonize the world.

The Man, despite his absence is still continuing to inspire the world artistically and that very Man even dead has so many things to offer as a heritage to the future generations, and that, thanks to the fact that he hadn't stopped working.

Despite all of that some of you act like spoiled and unthankful children whining for a fast release of the new album out of selfishness. On top of that you demand the Man who's no longer with us to skyrocket the charts after all he had already achieved. Do you really think that the Man has something to prove or even to fear competition from instant artists who can't achieve the quarter of the half compared to what Michael had already achieved.
Wow amen to that! good post! thank you :)

I personally don't support Sony at all.

I dont blame u, apart of me doesnt trust them either.

I only supported TII movie for mj - not sony.

My post is not related to the way the album should be promoted, but to the fact that MJ gave us so much and that despite all he gave and his death, people are still demanding new things as if MJ owed us. And as I said on top of that people demand from a dead man to hit the charts. Will this man ever have rest, either from journalists or from the fans?

Basically, as far as I am concerned, I am not interested in promotion at all. I am interested in discovering and enjoying music if it is released. If not, I have plenty of already released tracks to re-listen to. I say, why not taking the time to appreciate all the music he has already given, and welcoming all the upcoming unreleased songs as a special gift to us? Let's enjoy whatever and whenever is released. If you love something who cares about the charts or big promotion? Do we listen to the music because we love it or because it is played all over the places? I f you like it because of this latter, all the unreleased stuff risks to be heavily altered in order to fit the general tendency of the moment without Michael being here to agree or disagree.

As far as the radios are concerned, no I did not change my mind. From the commercial point of view I still think it is one of the best strategy to promote it along with all other means of media of course. I never said that songs should be played only on the radios.

I remember back in the 80s when Michael dominated not only or necessarily the charts, but people's subconscious as the best singer ever. Everybody was saying --even non fans-- that he was the best (and still is). Many movies still today contain lines about Michael Jackson or his dance moves or his music, such an icon he has been. For example:

-Beverly Hills Cop I
-Goonies
-Back To The Future II & III
-The Simpsons
-Rush Hour I, II, III
-Robots (animation)
-Shrek (animation)
etc., etc the list is extremely long

I also remember listening to the BAD album and said to myself, how will Michael ever be able to create anything better in the future --as far as melodies are concerned. With that ten-song album he, for me back then, couldn't be able to make such good melodies afterwards. I was of course wrong, because when Dangerous and later History came out, I understood that his magical power of creating melodies were unlimited. So, still back in the 80s, I said to myself, I need to hear other songs, any songs.

With Internet leaks it became easier to get hold of unreleased songs such as Niteline, Trouble, etc. For an impatient and hype fan, those songs are weak and without interest. But for a real fan, hearing MJ's voice in an unreleased song is a real blessing, regardless the promotions or the charts.

It sadness me when I hear some fans disappointed with "This Is It" song. It is not a club banger, but they forget that Michael didn't only sing or write radio friendly music. Why some people don't stop a little bit, take a breath, sit down on your sofa, forget the hype, put sometimes Destiny album and listen to it. One of the songs on it called "Bless his soul" sounds like "This is it". It is a beautiful song. "This is it" is also a beautiful song. Instead of being thankful to get the chance to have at least one unheard song, people complain.

Now, when the new album comes out remember my words, instead of being happy and enjoying the MJ's unheard music, some fans will start being frustrated because there are not enough slows, others that there are not enough fast songs. No matter what you give to people, they're never satisfied.

Another great post! :clapping:

I echo your thought on the song "This Is It". I like the song and feel it fits well in the film. Michael's vocal, as always, is gorgeous. The song is not a chart topper, not a radio friendly song, not a club bangger. But, it's still a beautiful ballad to listen to when sitting on my sofa and enjoying my "Michael" moment. The only complains I have are the misleading info given out and the whole Paul Anka drama. But, the PR strategy didn't affect my listening experience at all.

Back to the new album, I think some of us should really set our expectations back to reality. In fact, the new album is an album of unreleased materials. The estate is trying to complie songs that can fit together and flow. But still, this album cannot really be called a "studio album"; hence, should not be compared to Michael's previous works. So, why expect it to sell over 10 millions copies? Why expect it to dominate the charts? Why expect it to be this and that? Of course, Michael would have wanted all his albums to sell well and top the charts. But, does it matter now? Michael Jackson's legacy is set in stone. His achievements will be celebrated by generations to come. The performance of this album is really insignificant when compare to the whole picture.

Also, it's impossible for Sony to put out a massive marketing campaign, similar to the HIStory campaign, for this new album. The music industry is different now and the circumstance is different. Michael is not here to participate in the promotion. I don't expect to see a huge Michael Jackson statue, non-stop TV ads or big billboards. No artist these days, not even the biggest one, has high marketing budget like that. I just hope Sony will put together a cohesive promotion campaign to raise the public's awareness of the album when the album is ready to be released.

To me, this new album simply means a chance to listen to Michael's unheard music, a chance to hear his voice on songs that I never heard before. It is a gift. I listen to and appreciate what Michael had already given us while waiting. His catalog is so amazing. I discover new sounds and have new favorites all the time. Sometimes, I start from "I Want You Back" and listen everything in chronological order to "One More Chance". His works always sound fresh and new. One just needs to have patience, forget about own personal preference and allow Michael's music to speak to you.

Often, I look at the sky and say "thank you" to Michael. I thank him for his generosity and diligence. He selflessly shared his genius with us. His creations enrich my life tremendously.

Thank you for such a lovely post :)

^^ I agree...love is magical, your posts always echo my own feelings/thoughts....:clapping:

I don't know why some of you have this attitude that we need an announcement well in advance of the album release. In marketing terms it would not make sense.

Most people have no idea the album is coming out at all. It should be kept that way until MUCH closer. Think about it; if it was announced properly months in advance the hype and talk would be HUGE, but it WOULD die down. The worst thing would be for it to die down BEFORE the release. That's why keeping announcements till closer to release is better. The hype needs to peak upon release day.

I reckon there should be no announcements until like a week before the first single hits the market. Like absolutely NO news for ages and the suddenly release a statement that Michael Jackson's brand new "x" single will hit radio in just 3 days time and then iTunes and music stores 4 days later! The single is the first to be released in promotion of his brand new "x" album! The album is due out on "x" date.

For me that's the winning solution.

If they announced today that in 7 weeks we would have a new single called "x" and then another 3 weeks later the album called "x" I think the buzz would die before the releases came out...

^ I don't think they should call the album x.

Lol Tony, youre good value. Now all the members who don't read posts properly will think that's what it's going to be called. Haha

Back