Michael - The Great Album Debate

I wanted to try to match the vocals of One More Chance (the original song) with the beat of the remix, just to see what kind of processing I would need to make the two match up and how the voice would then end up sounding. I had a look around and there does not seem to be an acapella for OMC, so I ended up trying it with the original mix as a whole. There is a long instrumental intro in the Ford remix, which I used to mix it with.

What I found is that no time-stretching is actually needed to make the released version match up with the remix. As Ford describes himself in his reply to Pentum:

This seems to be the case. The original mix and the Ford remix in half-time both have a tempo of exactly 81 bpm. I already got the impression while listening to the remix that the speed of the vocals did not seem very different from the original mix of One More Chance. I did not suspect that they would be identical, but they are. Thus, you do not need to change the tempo of the vocals at all to mix them with the Ford remix beat. I therefore do not get why he says he needed to use time-stretching, unless the demo takes he used had a very different speed (which seems unlikely). No changes in pitch were needed either.

Have a listen for yourself. Unfortunately you will hear some of the instruments from the original mix as well (there is an abundance of snare hits that I hope you can ignore :) ). I tried to EQ them out as much as possible but obviously you will still hear them.

You will first hear my mix of the beat of the Ford remix + the original. After that you hear the same section with the vocals from the Ford mix.
http://www.mediafire.com/?lhve0kpob54je3k
R Kelly is doing different things than MJ. Doing these "ah, ta, ta" after he sings a sentence, which MJ does not do.

And seriously, there are 1 or 2 "aow" in this mix, which is CLEARLY NOT MJ FFS.

Listen to this, everyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNp6Rw5H4E&feature=youtu.be&t=3m53s

Then listen to this: (and notice the "ta, ta" sounds he does after a word or a sentence, just like the singer in the FORD MIX:
http://youtu.be/L0qwFNZLKI4?t=2m14s

It doesn't get more obvious.

who's this???
http://www.box.com/s/u2zaln2xmsa5n7bqhcop

note that the pitch is exactly the same as the original song but the voice's formants are not the same!

this kinda goes for the "believers" - there are things you can do to a voice such as changing the formant.

At the same time, there are things to do to correct it... For example you can push back the formant as long as the acapella is well-isolated.

And what about this:
http://www.box.com/s/6g1pno4igjoeo2exphpf

An alternate ad-lib to Monster, right? Does it sound copy-pasted? :p

Last edited:
Of course you can use all kinds of plug-ins and filters to distort a voice or any type of sound clip. If you intent to make it sound terrible, you can. But why would a professional producer have that goal?

In the case of this remix, Ford blames the time-stretching program he claims to have used for the strange sound of the vocals on his remix. This seems unlikely to me, a. because these programs do not change a voice to such an extent and b., looking at the tempo of Ford's song and the original song, there was no need for time-stretching the vocals. I do not see why he would want to change the formants. Ford also does not mention any other reason that would explain why the vocals do not sound like Michael at all (like: I decided to change the formants, or, I used a crapload of filters because we thought it would achieve a cool effect).

More generally speaking, Pentum's point also still applies: all these techniques do not change a singer's vocal characteristics all of a sudden.

Last edited:
I think people just thought it sounded kind of like something she'd sing.

Why are you fighting about that Ford remix? Whoever is singing on that remix (in my opinion not MJ), his voice is heavily edited. The problem with Cascio songs are that on unedited demos the voice is strange, weak and completly different than MJ's. OK producers used various softwares to speed them up for MICHAEL album. But we have original demos (snippets) unedited and unprocessed and on those demos you can clearly hear that it's not MJ singing. So you can't blame it on Melodyne or any other software that producers use.

Because we've talked about the Cascio songs for over a year now, we've discussed everything that has to do witht he songs. There's nothing left.

Why are you fighting about that Ford remix? Whoever is singing on that remix (in my opinion not MJ), his voice is heavily edited. The problem with Cascio songs are that on unedited demos the voice is strange, weak and completly different than MJ's. OK producers used various softwares to speed them up for MICHAEL album. But we have original demos (snippets) unedited and unprocessed and on those demos you can clearly hear that it's not MJ singing. So you can't blame it on Melodyne or any other software that producers use.
How do we know that these so called "Demos" aren't fan made ?

Anyone can edit a song make it slower and so on and how do we know that these "Demos" aren't already edited ? Oh yeah we don't

We don't have unedited demos. Those minute in a half long snippets aren't the raw demos.

Michael Jackson's Kid They FAKED My Dad's Voice on 'Michael' Album

Michael Jackson's daughter Paris made a bombshell announcement to friends ... telling them the MJ album released in the wake of the singer's death did NOT contain MJ's actual voice ... it was an imposter.

TMZ has learned ... the announcement was made during an online video chat with several friends in 2008 ... just before the "Michael" album was released, which contains several previously unreleased tracks allegedly performed by Michael Jackson.

The video chat was recorded ... and Paris joked about the footage eventually "leaking" to the Internet.

Paris had made the announcement in the midst of rumors that MJ's parts on the "Michael" album were REALLY performed by an MJ sound-alike named Jason Malachi ... but both Jason and Sony denied the allegations.

During the video chat, Paris played one of the songs from the album, "Hold My Hand" ... and one of her friends asks why the singer doesn't sound like MJ.

Paris replied, "It's NOT him ... the whole album isn't even him!! Go online ... go on YouTube and look up Jason Malachi. That's him!!"

She continues, "I should know if it's him or not because he would sing to me all the time."

TMZ has learned a recording of Paris' video message is being shopped to various media outlets ... and we're told "Offers are on the table."

www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/michael-jackson-paris-album-fake-voice-jason-malachi/#.T03zmvWd6So

Hmm, interesting...

We don't have unedited demos. Those minute in a half long snippets aren't the raw demos.
You don't know that for sure, so don't be so certain.
Michael Jackson's Kid They FAKED My Dad's Voice on 'Michael' Album

Michael Jackson's daughter Paris made a bombshell announcement to friends ... telling them the MJ album released in the wake of the singer's death did NOT contain MJ's actual voice ... it was an imposter.

TMZ has learned ... the announcement was made during an online video chat with several friends in 2008 ... just before the "Michael" album was released, which contains several previously unreleased tracks allegedly performed by Michael Jackson.

The video chat was recorded ... and Paris joked about the footage eventually "leaking" to the Internet.

Paris had made the announcement in the midst of rumors that MJ's parts on the "Michael" album were REALLY performed by an MJ sound-alike named Jason Malachi ... but both Jason and Sony denied the allegations.

During the video chat, Paris played one of the songs from the album, "Hold My Hand" ... and one of her friends asks why the singer doesn't sound like MJ.

Paris replied, "It's NOT him ... the whole album isn't even him!! Go online ... go on YouTube and look up Jason Malachi. That's him!!"

She continues, "I should know if it's him or not because he would sing to me all the time."

TMZ has learned a recording of Paris' video message is being shopped to various media outlets ... and we're told "Offers are on the table."

www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/michael-jackson-paris-album-fake-voice-jason-malachi/#.T03zmvWd6So

Hmm, interesting...
I'd like to see that chat video, to see if it's HMH she is REALLY is referring too.. She is right about there beeing fake songs but HMH?

The TMZ is wrong:

1. Michael was still alive in 2008. The michael Album came out late 2010.
2. We know, Hold my Hand is Michael.

I'd like to see that chat video, to see if it's HMH she is REALLY is referring too.. She is right about there beeing fake songs but HMH?
She also said that Hollywood Tonight was fake, so who knows...

Yeah, I remember that on her "official" twitter. If it's 100% her, it's obvious that we can't trust her when it comes to MJ's voice... It means we fans know her fathers voice better than her. Not sure what more to say. She is of course right when it comes to the Cascio songs though, so she seems a little confused. A proper interview would be the thing.

I would question the authenticity of that recording whether its really Paris!
Hold my Hand, really!
Did TMZ get the year wrong?
If this is true, one of those so called friends is the one who recorded that chat, and is selling it?

Hmm, I'd better wait some sort of confirmation or announcement. Hard to believe.

Even if it's false news, it's kind of nice to see TMZ bumping it. Shows that someone still cares.

Well obviously Paris is wrong about Hold My Hand, however that's if the article is indeed correct and she is referring to that specific song.

My wish is Paris is not being used and dragged into this to push someone else's agenda...

It doesn't matter if she only "meant" Hold my Hand.
"Paris replied, "It's NOT him ... the whole album isn't even him!! Go online ... go on YouTube and look up Jason Malachi. That's him!!"
According to her the whole album isn't him.
That means, (I Like) the way you love me isn't him, HT and Best of Joy isn't him and Another Day/Behind The Mask isn't him.
Her saying Hollywood Tonight wasn't him told me enough at the time and this only proves it more.

Either the article is wrong/false, or she really is wrong about this whole thing or she just doesn't "hear" her father's voice.

She also said that Hollywood Tonight was fake, so who knows...

Yeah, I remember that on her "official" twitter. If it's 100% her, it's obvious that we can't trust her when it comes to MJ's voice... It means we fans know her fathers voice better than her. Not sure what more to say. She is of course right when it comes to the Cascio songs though, so she seems a little confused. A proper interview would be the thing.

It doesn't matter if she only "meant" Hold my Hand.
"Paris replied, "It's NOT him ... the whole album isn't even him!! Go online ... go on YouTube and look up Jason Malachi. That's him!!"
According to her the whole album isn't him.
That means, (I Like) the way you love me isn't him, HT and Best of Joy isn't him and Another Day/Behind The Mask isn't him.
Her saying Hollywood Tonight wasn't him told me enough at the time and this only proves it more.

Either the article is wrong/false, or she really is wrong about this whole thing or she just doesn't "hear" her father's voice.

This isn't new at least for us. Paris on her formspring and her twitter - now verified - said similar things. She said it's not Michael, she said it's for money, she said the exact same quote of "he sang to me everyday I know his voice" and she even clearly and specifically said that "Hollywood Tonight" isn't Michael - multiple times. Seeing the same quote of Michael singing to her, I think this video might be true, but like Hollywood tonight, her mention of "Hold my Hand" and "whole album" shows that she's not real knowledgeable about the issue. In short it will just show that Paris agrees with the opinion of the songs being fake, however it's not based on facts or first hand knowledge as Hollywood Tonight and Hold my Hand mentions show this.

She is very very confused. Not only she doesn't know her fathers voice but she also doesn't know the history facts about songs like Hold My Hand and Hollywood Tonight. I don't think any interview with her would be good thing because she doesn't know what she's saying and many regular people are so naive.

also let me tell you what happened on formspring

someone was talking about how she was excited and waiting for Hollywood Tonight video (or it was after the video was released and this person was telling how much she loved the song and video)
Paris told her not to be because it was not Michael
A lot of people corrected her saying that it wasn't a Cascio song, it was an old song and it was Michael
Paris rejected them all with saying "he sang to me every night, I know his voice (better)"

However, I wanna know one thing. If Paris thinks HOLD MY HAND is fake too, then why did she use that song to one of her youtube videos? Paris made a video and posted on her twitter (before she got verified and when her username were pariisjaxn).

"@pariisjaxn here! I made this video and i'm borrowing my friend's account in order to post it.. This is NOT my account. I hope you guys like it and decide to stand up for what you believe in. Just speak out! Someone will hear you. Let's make a difference and heal the world! ?"

This is the video...

[youtube]_Nahi0ZI8ag[/youtube]

Last edited:
Back