Michael - The Great Album Debate

Yeah, not everyone's a Casanova Snippet like you, Bumper :p My shyness stops me from doing ANYTHING that's remotely nerve-wrecking... That and there's no-one that I have strong feelings for, and I've learned from experience to be cautious around teenage hormones and to think twice before acting.

@Love, I knew you'd do that! :p

Being shy is not dramatic, but being over-shy can sometimes be a handicap. Well, if you are over-shy ask yourself: what have I got to lose? Go for it ;)

Being shy is not dramatic, but being over-shy can sometimes be a handicap. Well, if you are over-shy ask yourself: what have I got to lose? Go for it ;)

... Huh. That's a good way of thinking... I'll keep that in mind next time I have a major crush or I'm put in a situation where my shyness would cripple me. Thanks, Bumper! :D Now enough about my love life (or lack thereof), back to the debate!

Legally speaking they could release the tracks and we could expect them to be released.

Strategically speaking, they have to be blind to ignore the rift that their release has caused among MJ fans. If they care about MJ fans' opinions then they should show some solid proof before releasing them. If they release them anyway, they can't lie any more that they take fans opinions into account as they claimed so in their report.

I think it can go either way. The unhappiness among the fans were enough for them not to make monster a single and remove it from Cirque show.

on the other hand putting 20 seconds of monster in cirque show to start with shows us that they are still considering those songs - if they had decided "okay we'll not release them / use them" they wouldn't put it there in the first place.

To me their fast copyright complaints, cease and desists and even lawsuits they filed to stop / slow down / limit the leaks shows that they still have plans for these songs - if they no longer considered releasing them there wouldn't be a reason for this much effort.

We'll see how this one goes.

hmm.
Yes, it's hard to be optimistic now (from a doubter's point of view).

He had hell of a time in few months to jam in an underground of a modest house and to record his jamming 12 times, but he didn't have time throughout his entire career to record any more serious work in a professional studio than some snippets...

This is something most believers won't take into account.

I'm alone too on Valentine's Day! ;)

Hey dam, what your dad did in the other thread was amazing, it was really cute :happy:

Last edited:
I was just wondering... We've all heard that some portions in the Cascio songs are clearly copy-pasted from previous work. Wouldn't that be considered either as:

-plagiarism, since MJ himself didn't do it himself?
-self-plagiarism, since the Estate (legal MJ representatives) allowed the copy-pasted material?
-illegal, since it isn't credited on the album?

If those copy-pasted vocals from previous songs (mostly from the Invincible album) are legally considered as "fair use", since MJ is not here to record those portions, is it legal not to credit those portions?

I know Branca acted as a lawyer and made sure everythingis legal, but I just wonder if he's aware of those copy-pastes.

So, in a nutshell, my big question is, is it legal to re-use, as in copy-paste, portions of "your own" previous work without giving it a credit or mentioning it at all anywhere in the booklet where the credit is due?

I was just wondering... We've all heard that some portions in the Cascio songs are clearly copy-pasted from previous work. Wouldn't that be considered either as:

-plagiarism, since MJ himself didn't do it himself?
-self-plagiarism, since the Estate (legal MJ representatives) allowed the copy-pasted material?
-illegal, since it isn't credited on the album?

If those copy-pasted vocals from previous songs (mostly from the Invincible album) are legally considered as "fair use", since MJ is not here to record those portions, is it legal not to credit those portions?

I know Branca acted as a lawyer and made sure everythingis legal, but I just wonder if he's aware of those copy-pastes.

So, in a nutshell, my big question is, is it legal to re-use, as in copy-paste, portions of "your own" previous work without giving it a credit or mentioning it at all anywhere in the booklet where the credit is due?
The idea behind plagiarism is borrowing/using/copying other people's work. And the copy-pastes are Michael, so...no..I don't think it can be officially called plagiarism.

But maybe it's better to ask a lawyer..:D

The idea behind plagiarism is borrowing/using/copying other people's work. And the copy-pastes are Michael, so...no..I don't think it can be officially called plagiarism.

But maybe it's better to ask a lawyer..:D

I know, but self-plagiarism exists too. Anyway, my question refers to the fact that the re-used/copied work (even if it's MJ's) is not credited. So I wondered two things:

-is it legal not to credit the re-used/copied work
-was Branca aware of this

and a subquestion, if it is considered as "fair use", the question is again the same, shouldn't it be credited?

that's a new approach. i would be interested to know that as well that's one thing no one can argue about: there are copy pastes on these tracks. whether or not it's illegal to do that without crediting, it's sneaky as hell.

Well, what I don't understand is that 'Take Me Away' remix (which was constructed entirely of copy/paste) was a big no-no, yet these uncredited copy/pastes are allowed in the Cascio songs?

Look at This Is It, they credited the stuff they dubbed in like the "master excerpts" of Earth Song (the demo) and Heal The World (which does not sound like a demo but the final version downpitched, and remixed with "live" instrumentation). I don't like that extensive dubbing just to make MJ sound like he's singing live. Halfway though Billie Jean watching it the first time I thought it was live until I heard the lyrics of the demo.

okay my brain is fried but here it goes

- you can sample whatever you want as long as you got the authorization of the copyright owner.
----- as Michael and now Michael's Estate is the owner of the copyrights they can give themselves authorization
----- "take me away" probably doesn't have that authorization

Adlibs, grunts, screams etc as aren't the significant portion of the song or create the song they don't need separate credits.

How about the construction of the line "Why do you keep stalkin' me?"(I believe it is)

That line was made with pasted words from Invincible. That fits under the "putting words in Michael's mouth" thing just like Take Me Away. To me, anyway..

that's a new approach. i would be interested to know that as well that's one thing no one can argue about: there are copy pastes on these tracks. whether or not it's illegal to do that without crediting, it's sneaky as hell.

Well, what I don't understand is that 'Take Me Away' remix (which was constructed entirely of copy/paste) was a big no-no, yet these uncredited copy/pastes are allowed in the Cascio songs?

Look at This Is It, they credited the stuff they dubbed in like the "master excerpts" of Earth Song (the demo) and Heal The World (which does not sound like a demo but the final version downpitched, and remixed with "live" instrumentation). I don't like that extensive dubbing just to make MJ sound like he's singing live. Halfway though Billie Jean watching it the first time I thought it was live until I heard the lyrics of the demo.

okay my brain is fried but here it goes

- you can sample whatever you want as long as you got the authorization of the copyright owner.
----- as Michael and now Michael's Estate is the owner of the copyrights they can give themselves authorization
----- "take me away" probably doesn't have that authorization

Adlibs, grunts, screams etc as aren't the significant portion of the song or create the song they don't need separate credits.

How about the construction of the line "Why do you keep stalkin' me?"(I believe it is)

That line was made with pasted words from Invincible. That fits under the "putting words in Michael's mouth" thing just like Take Me Away. To me, anyway..

Well, this is how I see the things:

If I was to write a PhD thesis for example. Imagine that in order to write it, some parts of my thesis are based on my previous research that had been previously published either in some articles or in my previous thesis. Needless to say that those parts would be essential to my new thesis.

So in order to avoid self-plagiarism, I normally should give reference, hence credit these essential parts of my previous parts of the thesis and research even if I was the initial author.

If the university asks me for copyright authorization to use my research by others, despite having copyright authorization, they ought to give credit if they use essential parts of my research.

Assuming some people had read my thesis (including myself of course), and they/I didn't quote me/myself, or they/I just paraphrased me/myself in order to prove a different point of view than what had been written in the thesis, then it wouldn't have been considered as (self-)plagiarism, but probably as "fair use". However, in the credits, they/I would have been supposed to duly credit me/myself despite the copyright authorization.

In the music scenario case, if I am not mistaken, it is similar. Despite copyright owner's authorization, it is illegal to use/re-use previous parts of officially published work without credits, even if there's "fair use", as in many hip hop songs for example.

My main concern is that MJ's previous parts of songs have been used to create a new one. It is true that in the case of "Take Me Away", its creator didn't have the copyright authorization, but that was not the only issue. The issue is that if he had had the copyright authorization, he would have been obliged to credit all the essential parts that allowed the song to be created. So it's a credit related issue too.

Hence, this leads me to the fact that we have clearly identified copy-pastes from Invincible in the middle of the sentences on the Cascio songs in order to fabricate a new sentence. I am not questioning whether the copyright authorization is given or not, as I assume it probably is, since the songs are officially released and labeled. I am questioning whether Branca was aware of the sentences fabrication with copy-pastes in the middle of the sentences (not ad-libs), because they haven't been credited at all, yet at the same time those copy-pasted bits of sentences from Invincible are so essential that the new sentence on the Cascio songs wouldn't have existed.

To me this case is similar to including in my thesis essential bits from my previously copyrighted and officially published work without which my new thesis wouldn't be possible, yet without crediting it. Which means that it would be considered as self-plagiarism. Regarding (self-)plagiarism in general, there is no minimal number of words, notes, etc. as long as it is clearly established what comes from where and when it is not duly credited.

IMO, a seriously done work should be duly credited not only for legal reasons, which is obviously understandable and as a matter of fact an obligation, but also for the ethics out of respect for the initial work without which the new one wouldn't be possible, and also, why not, for the sake of transparency.

So, either Branca is unaware of this, because it's been hidden to him (as to us since not credited), or he was aware and thought nobody would notice it. But if this latter was the case, why taking such a risk?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Bumper, there is no legal obligation to publish proper credits for copy-paste jobs. Artists that are alive do it as well without most people ever taking notice of, deceased artists logically can't do it but their estates can. It's their option if they want to market tracks as what they are or make false promises which would only qualify as fraud under very restricted circumstances. In this case the back of the album has a clear disclaimer that tracks have been brought to completion which also includes the possibility of using copy-paste jobs. While you might find this morally wrong, it's not illegal.

Unfortunately, Bumper, there is no legal obligation to publish proper credits for copy-paste jobs. Artists that are alive do it as well without most people ever taking notice of, deceased artists logically can't do it but their estates can. It's their option if they want to market tracks as what they are or make false promises which would only qualify as fraud under very restricted circumstances. In this case the back of the album has a clear disclaimer that tracks have been brought to completion which also includes the possibility of using copy-paste jobs. While you might find this morally wrong, it's not illegal.

I disagree. When you publicly release something that wouldn't have been possible without previouysly released work, even if you are the author of the initial work, it is considered as (self-)plagiarism if you don't credit the parts that allowed you to create new parts --in this case the words in the middle of the sentences creating a new sentence. I know that it sounds silly (self-plagiarism), but it does exist. It's not because some people do it that it makes it more legal.

If you record a song and I copy your words from your song and insert them in the middle of the sentences of my songs and if I don't credit you, I am clearly doing an infraction, and could be considered as text and voice plagiarism. Well, the same goes if you did the same thing to your own song, which means self-plagiarizing, if you don't credit it.

p.s. And what you seem to refer to could be considered as "fair use", which means using parts of a song, or the text or the voice and include it/them into your own creation. Many hip hop artists do it. However, legally, even if it is considered as "fair use", you must credit the parts that you used. You can't just vaguely say "we used copy pastes from previous work" without crediting what was used where. Because of the fact that some parts are not clearly credited, we are misled to believe that some sentences were recorded by Michael as such. But in reality they were fabricated without due credits.

Last edited:
Again: There's no legal obligation. It doesn't matter what you think about it.

Think about:
Ghosts / Is It Scary (text)
Stranger In Moscow / Beautiful Girl / (I Am A) Loser (composition)

Also vocal takes are often re-cut / copy-pasted together within the development of a song. The tendency with deceased artists is to create (semi-)sentences by copy-pasting separate words. Their estates have every right to do this and there's no legal obligation to unveil these technical details which you can consider as highly immoral.

Did they provide full information how they exchanged the live vocals from MJ with the studio cuts in order to get "This Is It" in a format they approved to release? No, you have some raw info, no details, nothing.
"Michael" has a disclaimer on the back. You just have to read it. It's only normal that a casual fan won't understand the full legal consequences of it but that's not their issue.

Last edited:
Again: There's no legal obligation. It doesn't matter what you think about it.

Think about: Ghosts / Is It Scary
Stranger In Moscow / Beautiful Girl / (I Am A) Loser

It is not what I think about it. It is the law to credit the parts that had been previously published. If you wrote a thesis at the uni, you know what I am talking about.

Ghost and Is it scary have been released at the same time and were duly credited by the artist who created them.

I am a loser hasn't been released yet, so it can't apply to it. And I don't see any plagiarism between Beautiful Girl and Stranger in Moscow.

p.s. Where did you read that there is no legal obligation to credit previously released work in order to create the new one?

Last edited:
And I don't see any plagiarism between Beautiful Girl and Stranger in Moscow.

I'm a bit disappointed right now. ;)

Writing a thesis is not a good comparison. You can also sell music digital only. Where would you provide all the detailed credits? Are companies which are not providing any kind of digital booklet breaking the law? There's no legal obligation, Bumper! ;)

I'm a bit disappointed right now. ;)

Well, did MJ copy-paste things from SIM to BG or vice versa?

p.s. You can download digital booklets and credits. I think you are giving your interpretation here of a non-obligation. Writing a thesis is a good example for the simple reason that it is exactly the same law. No matter what you do, a thesis, a song, a book, an article, a painting, plagiarism apply to all fields.

Again, where did you read, what are your sources for the non-obligation of writing down the due credit?

Last edited:
Bumper, you do see the self-borrowed (in your words: "self-plagiarism") similiarities between "Stranger In Moscow" (released) and "(I Am A) Loser" which you've only heard in the form of snippets, yet you want to tell me you don't hear the similiarities between "Stranger In Moscow" and "Beautiful Girl" (also released)? :D

As a reminder: R. Kelly was sued in Belgium for borrowing a very basic melody. Pretty much what "Stranger In Moscow", "Beautiful Girl" and "(I Am A) Loser" all have in common.

Bumper, you do see the self-borrowed (in your words: "self-plagiarism") similiarities between "Stranger In Moscow" (released) and "(I Am A) Loser" which you've only heard in the form of snippets, yet you want to tell me you don't hear the similiarities between "Stranger In Moscow" and "Beautiful Girl" (also released)? :D

As a reminder: R. Kelly was sued in Belgium for borrowing a very basic melody. Pretty much what "Stranger In Moscow", "Beautiful Girl" and "(I Am A) Loser" all have in common.

Oulala, I see there is some confusion here. Let's make things clear first.

What you call similarity, is as a matter of fact "inspiration" and not plagiarism. And the credit is not necessary as anyone can be inspired by anything and create their own work from their inspiration. See for example Billy Ocean's Carabbean Queen which contains Vincent Price's laugh from Thriller, some basic meldody from billie Jean and even some words from Human Nature. But Billy Ocean created a completely new song. The same goes for Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal video, he got inspired from Fred Astaire. In thsi case the credit is due to the creator, not to the one who inspired the artist. (Same goes for Stranger in Moscow, Beautiful Girl, Ui Am a loser, Gjosts, Is It Scary, etc)

What you call "borrowed" is in fact legally "fair use". Which means that artists borrow melodies or parts of melodies, like Rihanna from MJ's Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', etc, Yet, she had her own song, she didn't copy Wanna be startin' somethin'. The "fair use", even if used in the songs should be credited. She probably credited MJ's wana be startin' somethin', but she didn't credit the initial artist of the "Mamasemomamamsamomakusa" part and she got sued by the initial artist for plagiarism. Which means, that when you use "fair use", you legally MUST credit the artists.

Third, plagiarism is something you blatantly copy-paste without giving the credit at all, which means that you mislead people into believeing that you have just created that as it is. So, if those words in the middle of the sentences aren't credited although they are from previous tracks, we are misled to believe that those sentences were recorded as such by MJ. That is plagiarizing his own work, because if there were no copy-pastes in the middle of the sentences, those sentences wouldn't have existed at all. They depend on those copy pasted material. The problem is that the copy pasted matrial isn't credited. And that, as far as I am concerned isn't legal.

Bumper, I didn't say it would be plagiarism and I know what plagiarism and fair use are. I told you how things (the law) are but you choose not to accept it.

Bumper, I didn't say it would be plagiarism and I know what plagiarism and fair use are. I told you how things (the law) are but you choose not to accept it.

I am not talking in my name when mentioning all what I mentioned. So it is not me not accepting. I am simply asking you where did you read that there is no legal obligation to credit previously released and then re-used work?

p.s. Why do you mention "Stranger in Moscow / Beautiful Girl / I am a loser" and "Ghosts / Is it scary" as if tehy were plagiarisms then?

Last edited:
1. "This album contains 9 previously unreleased vocal tracks performed by Michael Jackson. 2. These tracks were recently completed using music from the original vocal tracks and music created by the credited producers.".

1. The copy-pastes weren't previously unreleased. They were released on 'Invincible'.
2. The tracks weren't only completed by using music from the original vocal tracks, but also completed by using earlier released vocals, than 'the original vocal tracks' (the tracks recorded in the Cascio house)

Isn't it fair to say then that these two lines on the back of the booklet are both not true then, besides from the yes or no legal obligation to credit? (and I'm leaving the 'performed by Michael Jackson' out of it, for obvious reasons).

Last edited:
p.s. Why do you mention "Stranger in Moscow / Beautiful Girl / I am a loser" and "Ghosts / Is it scary" as if tehy were plagiarisms then?

because they come within your own definition of "self-plagiarism":

Bumper Snippet said:
When you publicly release something that wouldn't have been possible without previouysly released work, even if you are the author of the initial work, it is considered as (self-)plagiarism if you don't credit the parts that allowed you to create new parts

@Chamife: That's professional music jargon which can be misinterpreted (as can be seen by your posting). "vocal tracks" are what you would call "songs" and "music" can be everything: vocals, instruments, sounds etc.
Your understanding however seems to be that "vocal tracks" would mean "just vocals" and "music" would mean "no vocals but instruments etc."

Last edited:
because they come within your own definition of "self-plagiarism":

Umm, "my defintion"???? I clearly mentioned that copy-pasted material weren't credited on the Cascio songs. I never said that Is it scary/Ghosts were copy-pasted, nor did I call them plagiarism as they were released at the same time and duly credited. You brought them into the discussion.

Now look at the definition of plagiarism and self-plagiarism (not my definition, but the official one) and see if it applies to the parts that have been copy pasted on the Cascio songs.

And I am still waiting for the source where it says that we are not obliged to credit previously released work which has been used for creating another work as claimed by you. Where did you read that?

Back